The Latest Rumors

228,884 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Please post what you're seeing on Twitter, etc here to help manage threads

I will start by saying that Cal has clearly gotten the message on fans and donor's preferences to be in the B10 and is also exploring other options. They are working with Stanford to see if they can align interests as well.

Meanwhile:

sycasey
Maybe Big 12 is poaching, maybe not?

My guess is that a number of schools have TALKED to the Big 12, but everything hinges on what the Big Ten does. Stand pat? Invite 2 Pac-12 teams? 3? 4? Until that's decided no one else can move.
Bobodeluxe
When all the PAC12 teams are gone, will PAC12 After Dark lose viewership?
maxer
Bobodeluxe said:

Negative numbers are just a mathematical expression of longing, which is... a positive sign!
Eastern Oregon Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

They may have to rename it PAC-12 Lights Out.
WalterSobchak
I'm all in on this and hope Christ, Knowlton, etc. are too (apologies as I assume everyone's seen it already):

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/voq5mn/b1g_endgame_speculation/
82gradDLSdad
Here's the only thing I know about this: don't include the number of schools in your conference name.
MinotStateBeav
82gradDLSdad said:

Here's the only thing I know about this: don't include the number of schools in your conference name.
Le Grande Vingt-Quatre
sandiegobears
oskidunker
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

They may have to rename it PAC-12 Lights Out.
Lights out is the march played as Fight for Cal.
Go Bears!
BearGreg
Staff
To lighten things up

Breaking news in College Football
calumnus
BearGreg said:

Please post what you're seeing on Twitter, etc here to help manage threads

I will start by saying that Cal has clearly gotten the message on fans and donor's preferences to be in the B10 and is also exploring other options. They are working with Stanford to see if they can align interests as well.

Meanwhile:

This (if true) and Notre Dame turning down the B1G would actually be GREAT for Cal as the PAC would be dead and we would be able to make a great case for Cal and Stanford to be in the B1G with the LA schools as a California West Coast pod. Retains our traditions and rivalries.
pasadenaorbust
BoiseToradoState...it's got a nice ring to it...
goldenbear75
If the PAC 12 gets down to 6 teams, they could change the name to the "six PAC"!
oskidunker
False. https://247sports.com/college/colorado/Article/Colorado-Buffaloes-brass-We-are-committed-to-the-Pc-12-Conference-189704061/
Go Bears!
harebear
MinotStateBeav
Getting a feeling the reason Pac schools haven't already left is there is something going on in the background. Have a sneaking suspicion that a TV channel or two could be trying to keep the Pac alive.
philbert
Runs and hides....

https://www.aol.com/news/fresno-state-making-pitch-pac-014424736.html
philly1121
yeah. The History Channel.
Econ141
philly1121 said:

This was amazing - thank you for the chuckle!
JimSox
goldenbear75 said:

If the PAC 12 gets down to 6 teams, they could change the name to the "six PAC"!

That's what they used to call Cal's baseball conference years ago.
edwinbear
philly1121 said:

Well done lol
PtownBear1
WalterSobchak said:

I'm all in on this and hope Christ, Knowlton, etc. are too (apologies as I assume everyone's seen it already):

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/voq5mn/b1g_endgame_speculation/

We'd be lucky to average 1 or 2 wins a year within that Pacific division, but obviously a minor concern compared with actually getting into the B1G.
chalcidbear
chalcidbear
BearGreg said:

To lighten things up

Breaking news in College Football
That is freakin' hilarious.
philbert

sycasey
philbert said:

It's starting to look likely that the Pac12/ACC alliance will be the thing for the next few years.
sosheezy
There is no rush to join the Big 12, even by the AZ schools, Utah and CO. The Big 12 has no other natural conference partners that are additive to their TV deals. They will take the Pac 12 schools whenever. Even if a renegotiated PAC 12 deal or a Bicoastal ACC PAC 12 partnership the BACCPAC conference(?) blows up in a few years because the Big 10 finally decides to poach whomever, the Big 12 fallback is there.
Econ141
sosheezy said:

There is no rush to join the Big 12, even by the AZ schools, Utah and CO. The Big 12 has no other natural conference partners that are additive to their TV deals. They will take the Pac 12 schools whenever. Even if a renegotiated PAC 12 deal or a Bicoastal ACC PAC 12 partnership the BACCPAC conference(?) blows up in a few years because the Big 10 finally decides to poach whomever, the Big 12 fallback is there.

If this partnership happens, how important is it that cal football becomes relevant? My guess is that it is not important because media market seems to be the biggest driver? But if that is the case, not sure why Big10 just didn't take Stanford/cal to come on the cheap while locking up the bay area.
sycasey
We got Eisen:

sosheezy
fat_slice said:

sosheezy said:

If this partnership happens, how important is it that cal football becomes relevant? My guess is that it is not important because media market seems to be the biggest driver? But if that is the case, not sure why Big10 just didn't take Stanford/cal to come on the cheap while locking up the bay area.
In any scenario, Cal needs to kick ass and gain relevancy, as the ultimate play remains getting into the Big 10 or the inevitable big boy superleague. I agree, I think it makes sense for the Big 10 to act now - but just was going off of what Wilner reported - if true, and they are holding at 16 for a few years, I don't think the 4 southwest Pac 12 schools (and/or Ore/UW or even Stanford/Cal - though less reported interest there) need to rush to the Big 12 to secure their future like today/this week. They can let the Pac 12 try to get the best deal it can.
59bear
MinotStateBeav said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Le Grande Vingt-Quatrely you didn't take French at Cal
Clearly you were not a French major!
philly1121
Perhaps because the media market doesn't mean much when it comes to Stanford or Cal? Yeah its a big market - but it contains two teams that are not winning. There is upside, yes. But I think if they wanted both of us (as natural partners), it likely would have happened when they took USC and UCLA. They would essentially have locked up California market.
Go!Bears
sycasey said:

We got Eisen:

They should snatch up two west coast teams for sure.

If you play 12 games - 3 are OOC (so conveniently scheduled) 3 are west coast conference teams and 3 of the remaining 6 are at home - you only have 3 miserable travel games. Most teams have at least one of those currently, so the new conference is not that much worse for football travel.

Other sports may not be that much worse either , even if most (all?) of them have many more conference games. If you can play 2 on a road swing, you may be able to keep the number of Midwest swings manageable - if you have 4 West Coast teams... If not it is going to suck.

But then, maybe they don't care about the LA-B1Gs.
sycasey
philly1121 said:

Perhaps because the media market doesn't mean much when it comes to Stanford or Cal? Yeah its a big market - but it contains two teams that are not winning. There is upside, yes. But I think if they wanted both of us (as natural partners), it likely would have happened when they took USC and UCLA. They would essentially have locked up California market.
Once again: the reporting suggests the Big 10 is holding serve until they know what Notre Dame is doing. No one else is getting an invite until then. It doesn't mean Cal/Stanford are off the table.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.