The Latest Rumors

252,788 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
bluehenbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
juarezbear said:

He was saying Stanford would be a natural rival for ND IF they were both in the B1G.
As I've said, furd (and Shaw) doesn't give a crap about us or the Big Game
DiabloWags
bluehenbear said:

juarezbear said:

He was saying Stanford would be a natural rival for ND IF they were both in the B1G.
As I've said, furd (and Shaw) doesn't give a crap about us or the Big Game

Ran into a former assistant coach a few months ago from Furd.
It was his opinion that Shaw was on his way out and on to a broadcast booth somewhere.

HearstMining
philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

calumnus said:

WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

Right, they played 88-94, then started a new series in 97 that was due to end soon.
Yeah I don't know what happened 95-96.

Stanford played their longer time rival, San Jose State.

As I said above, Notre Dame considers the following 5 schools to be rivals:
Michigan
Michigan State
Navy
USC
Miami

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_football

ND hasn't played Miami since 2017. And they aren't going to play again until 2024. They've only played 26 times and only like 4 times in past 20 years. It doesn't matter what ND considers to be a rivalry. They play Stanford every year. They've played 34+ times. It IS a rivalry game.

Well they have played Pitt 69 times and Army 90 times or something, but do not consider them to be rivals. We have played Oregon State forever, but do not consider them to be rivals. Texas yes, even though we have only played them a few times.

Of course it matters who Notre Dame thinks is a rival. Rivalry is a feeling, expressed especially by the fans. The idea is to include a rival to get Notre Dame to join. That is one of the reasons USC is in and UCLA with them.

Ugh. We are not rivals with Texas. It is not a rivalry game. Come on, really?? If you include Texas, then it blows any valid definition of "rivalry game" or "rivals" off the map.

ND/Stanford is a rivalry game. It is Midwest v. West. It is a natural fit for Stanford to be included into the B1G if Notre Dame decides to join. ND's other rivals (Michigan, MSU) are also there. Its a natural fit.

And as another poster wrote, this thread has likely run its course if we are debating this.

Nah, Stanford-ND is just a series of football games played for the benefit of both teams. They both want the exposure in the other school's territory for recruiting purposes and Stanford in particular benefits because the game is always picked up nationally no matter how bad Stanford's team is.

Real college rivalries occur across multiple sports and even transcend sports: Cal-Stanfurd, USC-UCLA, Washington-WSU, Purdue-Indiana, Texas-Texas A&M, etc. While football tends to be the focal point, competition in every sport matters. That's why there's The Big Swim, The Big Meet (the only dual track meet Cal participates in any more), etc. You know it's a rivalry because alumni of one school notice if their co-workers attended the rival. No words may ever be spoken, but they notice.

The snots at Stanfurd may (or may not) look down their noses at Cal, but they grudgingly acknowledge the quality jof the Cal grads they've encountered. I doubt they say the same about Notre Dame - not even on their radar.
Go!Bears
berserkeley said:

That said, Notre Dame and Stanford have an annual trophy for the winner of the game, which, to me, makes it a rivalry game.
What is it? A hatchet?
Oski87
sycasey said:

LOL

If that truly happens, then the ACC is ripe for the picking. Frankly the Big 12, the ACC and the PAC 12 leftovers should merge. The National Conference. 32 teams, 4 divisions, playoff. Sure - total payout is less. But it is a better solution for all of the also-ran conferences. Big 10 and SEC will get to 20 each eventually. Why not create our own conference - Miami, Duke, Kansas, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Kansas, West Virginia, etc? That would generate a lot more than the remaining PAC 12 per team payouts. That would give the teams a healthy 30 million per year, I am sure - probably more. Probably a 1.5 billion dollar league with three networks bidding. The issue is that the networks are all splitting us up and screwing us over to keep their costs low. Time for collectives!

Sure - it would be a lot of travel. But at 22 million per year, if it is to be believed, the PAC 12 is not a place to be.

The problem with all of this is that the remaining commissioners want to keep their job. Really Klavikoff is the only one who could do this, since he is on his way out no matter what.

ACC could also just take the PAC 12 north. For a while, until the dust settles. Bring the conference to 20.5 teams. There was the rumor that the Cal and Furd had reached out to them (from the same people who brought you the 22 million dollar payout).
Strykur
Virginia to the SEC, who actually believes this crap?
StillNoStanfurdium
WalterSobchak said:

fat_slice said:

I think our best option is to keep the pac-12 together and bring on sdst and Fresno.
This would be great for them. How would it benefit us?
I've heard the argument about San Diego State getting the Pac-12 back into the SoCal market if not LA proper. Bringing Fresno would maintain a rivalry for San Diego State.
WalterSobchak
StillNoStanfurdium said:

WalterSobchak said:

fat_slice said:

I think our best option is to keep the pac-12 together and bring on sdst and Fresno.
I've heard the argument about San Diego State getting the Pac-12 back into the SoCal market if not LA proper. Bringing Fresno would maintain a rivalry for San Diego State.
Cal doesn't need to get "back into" the SoCal market or need SDSU to do it. We have a ton of alumni, and current students when they go home, already living down there. We could probably play some of our "home" games in LA and draw as well or better there than we do in Berkeley. Hey, now there's an idea...
CaliforniaEternal
WalterSobchak said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

WalterSobchak said:

fat_slice said:

Cal doesn't need to get "back into" the SoCal market or need SDSU to do it. We have a ton of alumni, and current students when they go home, already living down there. We could probably play some of our "home" games in LA and draw as well or better there than we do in Berkeley. Hey, now there's an idea...

That's a really good idea, but is SoFi Stadium available for Saturday dates with two the two NFL teams playing there every Sunday more or less? Last thing we'd want is a Thursday night game there.
BigDaddy
The idea for a "championship game" between the Pac-12 and ACC winners is crazy. Can you imagine if Clemson was Top 4 in the CFP playoff standings and then had to play an additional game against Oregon or Utah?

Or vice versa, Oregon has a playoff spot basically in the bag and has an extra game against Miami or Clemson?

Why would anyone agree to that?!
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
bluehenbear
DiabloWags said:

With the lack of any substantive "news" these threads have pretty much run their course.
Now relegated to defining what a rivalry actually is and whether or not the two mascots actually hate each other.

lol

I think we can all agree that *everyone* hates the furd mascot
Bobodeluxe
Go!Bears said:

berserkeley said:

That said, Notre Dame and Stanford have an annual trophy for the winner of the game, which, to me, makes it a rivalry game.
What is it? A hatchet?
Golden ****** bag.
WalterSobchak
CaliforniaEternal said:

WalterSobchak said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

WalterSobchak said:

fat_slice said:

That's a really good idea, but is SoFi Stadium available for Saturday dates with two the two NFL teams playing there every Sunday more or less? Last thing we'd want is a Thursday night game there.
Rams used to play at Anaheim and Angels are always done by first week in October. Early games are best in Berkeley anyways. Could work.

(This place would be perfect if it wasn't too small.)
philly1121
WalterSobchak said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

WalterSobchak said:

fat_slice said:

Yes and as we all know, alumni presence in SoCal is the key to success in recruiting and financial support!
Rushinbear
bluehenbear said:

DiabloWags said:

With the lack of any substantive "news" these threads have pretty much run their course.
Now relegated to defining what a rivalry actually is and whether or not the two mascots actually hate each other.

lol

Why hasn't Oski chased the Tree with a running chain saw at the Big Game? Now, THAT would bring in the fans.
dimitrig
BigDaddy said:

The idea for a "championship game" between the Pac-12 and ACC winners is crazy. Can you imagine if Clemson was Top 4 in the CFP playoff standings and then had to play an additional game against Oregon or Utah?

Or vice versa, Oregon has a playoff spot basically in the bag and has an extra game against Miami or Clemson?

Why would anyone agree to that?!

$$$

UrsusTexicanus
Rushinbear said:

bluehenbear said:

DiabloWags said:

lol

Why hasn't Oski chased the Tree with a running chain saw at the Big Game? Now, THAT would bring in the fans.
You could also up the ante. Have a drawing before the Big Game. The first 50 fans selected are allowed on the field and handed chain saws while the Furd "band" is on at halftime.
berserkeley
Strykur said:

Virginia to the SEC, who actually believes this crap?
If ESPN, sorry, I mean the SEC, wanted to be petty and block Fox, I mean the Big Ten, from picking up Virginia. Virginia and North Carolina are the ACC teams the Big Ten has made no secret of wanting to pluck from the ACC. The only other AAU schools in the ACC are GaTech, Pitt, and Duke.
sycasey
Oski87 said:

sycasey said:

LOL

If that truly happens, then the ACC is ripe for the picking. Frankly the Big 12, the ACC and the PAC 12 leftovers should merge. The National Conference. 32 teams, 4 divisions, playoff. Sure - total payout is less. But it is a better solution for all of the also-ran conferences. Big 10 and SEC will get to 20 each eventually. Why not create our own conference - Miami, Duke, Kansas, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Kansas, West Virginia, etc? That would generate a lot more than the remaining PAC 12 per team payouts. That would give the teams a healthy 30 million per year, I am sure - probably more. Probably a 1.5 billion dollar league with three networks bidding. The issue is that the networks are all splitting us up and screwing us over to keep their costs low. Time for collectives!

Sure - it would be a lot of travel. But at 22 million per year, if it is to be believed, the PAC 12 is not a place to be.

The problem with all of this is that the remaining commissioners want to keep their job. Really Klavikoff is the only one who could do this, since he is on his way out no matter what.

ACC could also just take the PAC 12 north. For a while, until the dust settles. Bring the conference to 20.5 teams. There was the rumor that the Cal and Furd had reached out to them (from the same people who brought you the 22 million dollar payout).
I do want to note that I don't think anyone else is sharing this story and there is plenty of skepticism around it (and good reason to be skeptical).

But this is the thread to share all the rumors (no matter how crazy), so what the heck.
dimitrig

I just realized that Notre Dame is not an AAU school.

Would that keep them out of the Big10?

maxer
dimitrig said:

No. They're the exception that proves the rule.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

It's pretty obvious they want ND anyway.

And I think the only reason they aren't AAU is that they haven't applied. Their academic standing would comfortably qualify them if they tried.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

And I think the only reason they aren't AAU is that they haven't applied. Their academic standing would comfortably qualify them if they tried.

Schools have to be invited.

juarezbear
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

I'm going to be nice.
Rushinbear
juarezbear said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

Notre Dame's USNWR ranking is a major joke. Aside from their business school which isn't top-tier, I'm not aware of a single department there other than athletics that has any notoriety at all. I know admission is competitive, but I never hear about serious scholarship taking place there. One just needs to look at Amy Coney Barrett who's a double alum to see what they're about. They shouldn't be invited.
And, you were going along so civilly.
BigDaddy

Sources tell NoleGameday that Florida State is in the process of exploring a move to a new conference. The Seminoles have had discussions with the SEC and Big Ten since last summer. Both conferences have displayed an interest in adding the university to their group of current members, along with other schools in the ACC.

NoleGameday has been informed that the B1G is considering a concession to offer the Seminoles membership despite the fact they're not an AAU (Association of American Universities) school. This isn't something that all of the current members of the conference are necessarily privy about.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
juarezbear
Rushinbear said:

juarezbear said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

Notre Dame's USNWR ranking is a major joke. Aside from their business school which isn't top-tier, I'm not aware of a single department there other than athletics that has any notoriety at all. I know admission is competitive, but I never hear about serious scholarship taking place there. One just needs to look at Amy Coney Barrett who's a double alum to see what they're about. They shouldn't be invited.
And, you were going along so civilly.
hahaha! That's the first snark from me after dozens of posts this past week....I admit it wasn't nice....
CALiforniALUM
fat_slice said:

kirklandblue said:

Go!Bears said:

sycasey said:

We got Eisen:

They should snatch up two west coast teams for sure.

If you play 12 games - 3 are OOC (so conveniently scheduled) 3 are west coast conference teams and 3 of the remaining 6 are at home - you only have 3 miserable travel games. Most teams have at least one of those currently, so the new conference is not that much worse for football travel.

Other sports may not be that much worse either , even if most (all?) of them have many more conference games. If you can play 2 on a road swing, you may be able to keep the number of Midwest swings manageable - if you have 4 West Coast teams... If not it is going to suck.

But then, maybe they don't care about the LA-B1Gs.

Plus - Traditional marching bands are woven into the fabric of the Big 10. We have the ONLY traditional marching band in the Pac-12 that can hang with those others in the Big 10. The B1G powers will certainly be aware of this and this will be what pushes us over the top and seals the deal. Stanfurd gets in on the understanding that their musical group not attend any games.

Cal band great! Can't believe they are going to be the deciding factor here.

I honestly think Cal Band should do a video appealing on this point to the B1G and their respective bands. The video should end with Stanford's band surrounded by news articles of their insulting behaviors.
juarezbear
BigDaddy said:

Sources tell NoleGameday that Florida State is in the process of exploring a move to a new conference. The Seminoles have had discussions with the SEC and Big Ten since last summer. Both conferences have displayed an interest in adding the university to their group of current members, along with other schools in the ACC.

NoleGameday has been informed that the B1G is considering a concession to offer the Seminoles membership despite the fact they're not an AAU (Association of American Universities) school. This isn't something that all of the current members of the conference are necessarily privy about.
I seriously don't believe the B1G is interested. Gotta be the SEC....but they still have their ACC commitment and ESPN probably has the upper hand on that.
StillNoStanfurdium
WalterSobchak said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

WalterSobchak said:

fat_slice said:

The argument isn't just about Cal getting back but the network's perspective of having a team in a market as well. Having schools like Oregon and Washington feeling like they have access as well. Anyone talking about adding SDSU/Fresno is pitching an idea for the Pac-12 to try to stay afloat not any one particular's school's benefit directly.
Oski87
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

ND is not really a research institution, and does not give out a ton if PHDs. Good professional schools and undergrad education.
Bobodeluxe
I like that they also limit the football related time to three hours total per day. So a player told me, anyway.
sycasey
Oski87 said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

ND is not really a research institution, and does not give out a ton if PHDs. Good professional schools and undergrad education.

In looking around for info, this seems to be the truth of it. Great at undergrad but that's not what AAU measures.
Big C
CALiforniALUM said:

fat_slice said:

kirklandblue said:

Go!Bears said:

sycasey said:

We got Eisen:

If you play 12 games - 3 are OOC (so conveniently scheduled) 3 are west coast conference teams and 3 of the remaining 6 are at home - you only have 3 miserable travel games. Most teams have at least one of those currently, so the new conference is not that much worse for football travel.

Other sports may not be that much worse either , even if most (all?) of them have many more conference games. If you can play 2 on a road swing, you may be able to keep the number of Midwest swings manageable - if you have 4 West Coast teams... If not it is going to suck.

Plus - Traditional marching bands are woven into the fabric of the Big 10. We have the ONLY traditional marching band in the Pac-12 that can hang with those others in the Big 10. The B1G powers will certainly be aware of this and this will be what pushes us over the top and seals the deal. Stanfurd gets in on the understanding that their musical group not attend any games.

I honestly think Cal Band should do a video appealing on this point to the B1G and their respective bands. The video should end with Stanford's band surrounded by news articles of their insulting behaviors.

Our best bet to get into the B1G is probably by pairing with Furd, so maybe we just continue to pretend that their sorry excuse for a band doesn't exist.
Econ141
Big C said:

CALiforniALUM said:

fat_slice said:

kirklandblue said:

Go!Bears said:

sycasey said:

We got Eisen:

Our best bet to get into the B1G is probably by pairing with Furd, so maybe we just continue to pretend that their sorry excuse for a band doesn't exist.

If B1G asks Stanford to join, what's more likely - them saying A.) Cal who? ... Of course we will join! or B.) Sure but only if Cal comes with us.

Or is the sentiment that they will want to reach out to us as a package deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.