The Latest Rumors

231,659 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As much as I hate the furd, I love the rivalry and want us both in the same conference so it continues with the maximum stakes at year-end. I would hope they view things similarly.
Robber Baron
It's some sort of glass trophy. Most people don't even know it exists. I didn't until I went to the Hall of Fame room.
calumnus
fat_slice said:

Big C said:

CALiforniALUM said:

fat_slice said:

kirklandblue said:

Go!Bears said:

sycasey said:

We got Eisen:

They should snatch up two west coast teams for sure.

If you play 12 games - 3 are OOC (so conveniently scheduled) 3 are west coast conference teams and 3 of the remaining 6 are at home - you only have 3 miserable travel games. Most teams have at least one of those currently, so the new conference is not that much worse for football travel.

Other sports may not be that much worse either , even if most (all?) of them have many more conference games. If you can play 2 on a road swing, you may be able to keep the number of Midwest swings manageable - if you have 4 West Coast teams... If not it is going to suck.

But then, maybe they don't care about the LA-B1Gs.

Plus - Traditional marching bands are woven into the fabric of the Big 10. We have the ONLY traditional marching band in the Pac-12 that can hang with those others in the Big 10. The B1G powers will certainly be aware of this and this will be what pushes us over the top and seals the deal. Stanfurd gets in on the understanding that their musical group not attend any games.

Cal band great! Can't believe they are going to be the deciding factor here.

I honestly think Cal Band should do a video appealing on this point to the B1G and their respective bands. The video should end with Stanford's band surrounded by news articles of their insulting behaviors.

Our best bet to get into the B1G is probably by pairing with Furd, so maybe we just continue to pretend that their sorry excuse for a band doesn't exist.

If B1G asks Stanford to join, what's more likely - them saying A.) Cal who? ... Of course we will join! or B.) Sure but only if Cal comes with us.

Or is the sentiment that they will want to reach out to us as a package deal.

It is a really good question. Like us, their athletic department is not run by alums that are steeped in our traditions.
BigDaddy
bearsandgiants said:

As much as I hate the furd, I love the rivalry and want us both in the same conference so it continues with the maximum stakes at year-end. I would hope they view things similarly.
They don't.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
eastcoastcal
https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/34201980/would-notre-dame-actually-consider-relinquishing-historic-independent-status
bencgilmore
BigDaddy said:

bearsandgiants said:

They don't.
its impossible to generalize for a whole fanbase, especially one that is inherently pretty small like stanfords.

but stanford fans on reddit were 100% feeling the same thing we were, and we discussed what to do now that usc/ucla had judas'd us and petty things we could do to get even

... if you're curious, we settled on helping Alabama upload Nick Saban to an AI in an effort to to ensure, for perpetuity, that USC never wins another title. Obviously Bama's science department isn't up to the task, but said stanford fan helpfully suggested that there were two west schools with an awful lot of subject matter experience who might just be willing to lend a hand

beyond that, we're in purgatory currently, and stanford is in the same boat. its annoying that they seem to be a single, very important step ahead of us in the Big 10 queue and that its possible they'd get in without us; at which point you'd see their true colors, not that it would matter.

plenty of usc/ucla fans on reddit were lamenting the move too; sure there is excitement, and big prime time matchups that the whole country will watch. but any sc/ucla fan with any shred of cfb experience knows that there is no variant of a big 10 schedule that is anything less than a 2-3 month uphill slog. for every one of those prime time matchups, there's also a lot of "purdue @ 9a eastern with snow flurries". lots of statistics from the NFL showing west->east travel is a huge disadvantage, and that is going to be much worse in college, especially if both teams aren't immediately good. i could see ucla, in particular, getting a ton of early matchups if they aren't borderline ranked

sycasey
SadbutTrue999 said:

BigDaddy said:

bearsandgiants said:

They don't.
its impossible to generalize for a whole fanbase, especially one that is inherently pretty small like stanfords.

but stanford fans on reddit were 100% feeling the same thing we were, and we discussed what to do now that usc/ucla had judas'd us and petty things we could do to get even

... if you're curious, we settled on helping Alabama upload Nick Saban to an AI in an effort to to ensure, for perpetuity, that USC never wins another title. Obviously Bama's science department isn't up to the task, but said stanford fan helpfully suggested that there were two west schools with an awful lot of subject matter experience who might just be willing to lend a hand

beyond that, we're in purgatory currently, and stanford is in the same boat. its annoying that they seem to be a single, very important step ahead of us in the Big 10 queue and that its possible they'd get in without us; at which point you'd see their true colors, not that it would matter.

plenty of usc/ucla fans on reddit were lamenting the move too; sure there is excitement, and big prime time matchups that the whole country will watch. but any sc/ucla fan with any shred of cfb experience knows that there is no variant of a big 10 schedule that is anything less than a 2-3 month uphill slog. for every one of those prime time matchups, there's also a lot of "purdue @ 9a eastern with snow flurries". lots of statistics from the NFL showing west->east travel is a huge disadvantage, and that is going to be much worse in college, especially if both teams aren't immediately good. i could see ucla, in particular, getting a ton of early matchups if they aren't borderline ranked
I'm not sure there are fans of any of these teams who actually like this move, as a group. It's all about money and mostly makes the experience worse.
bipolarbear
CALiforniALUM said:

fat_slice said:

kirklandblue said:

Go!Bears said:

sycasey said:

We got Eisen:

They should snatch up two west coast teams for sure.

If you play 12 games - 3 are OOC (so conveniently scheduled) 3 are west coast conference teams and 3 of the remaining 6 are at home - you only have 3 miserable travel games. Most teams have at least one of those currently, so the new conference is not that much worse for football travel.

Other sports may not be that much worse either , even if most (all?) of them have many more conference games. If you can play 2 on a road swing, you may be able to keep the number of Midwest swings manageable - if you have 4 West Coast teams... If not it is going to suck.

But then, maybe they don't care about the LA-B1Gs.

Plus - Traditional marching bands are woven into the fabric of the Big 10. We have the ONLY traditional marching band in the Pac-12 that can hang with those others in the Big 10. The B1G powers will certainly be aware of this and this will be what pushes us over the top and seals the deal. Stanfurd gets in on the understanding that their musical group not attend any games.

Cal band great! Can't believe they are going to be the deciding factor here.

I honestly think Cal Band should do a video appealing on this point to the B1G and their respective bands. The video should end with Stanford's band surrounded by news articles of their insulting behaviors.
Including their "tribute" to the Irish potato famine.
BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
BigDaddy
SadbutTrue999 said:

BigDaddy said:

bearsandgiants said:

They don't.

its annoying that they seem to be a single, very important step ahead of us in the Big 10 queue and that its possible they'd get in without us; at which point you'd see their true colors, not that it would matter.

The fan bases are irrelevant at this point. The powers that be at Stanford (Admin/AD) are not worried about any other Pac-12 programs in this equation. They cared so much about Cal that they threw in with Notre Dame and they would have been very happy to enter the B1G with the Irish.

Rushinbear
BigDaddy said:

SadbutTrue999 said:

BigDaddy said:

bearsandgiants said:

They don't.

its annoying that they seem to be a single, very important step ahead of us in the Big 10 queue and that its possible they'd get in without us; at which point you'd see their true colors, not that it would matter.

The fan bases are irrelevant at this point. The powers that be at Stanford (Admin/AD) are not worried about any other Pac-12 programs in this equation. They cared so much about Cal that they threw in with Notre Dame and they would have been very happy to enter the B1G with the Irish.

Is the ND/Furd entry not happening ("...would have been very happy to enter the B1G with the Irish")?
sycasey
Rushinbear said:

BigDaddy said:

SadbutTrue999 said:

BigDaddy said:

bearsandgiants said:

They don't.

Is the ND/Furd entry not happening ("...would have been very happy to enter the B1G with the Irish")?

There's no indication ND is going anywhere at this point.
philly1121

Current odds for entry into Big 10 and SEC
maxer
philly1121 said:

Interesting that they see us and Stanford as the same odds.

Also interesting that they see it as more likely that Kansas, Cincinnati, and Arizona would get invites.
sycasey
maxer said:

philly1121 said:

Also interesting that they see it as more likely that Kansas, Cincinnati, and Arizona would get invites.

That last part is delusional IMO.
bipolarbear
maxer said:

philly1121 said:

Degenerate gamblers.

wifeisafurd
maxer said:

philly1121 said:

My sense is that Cal and Furd are a package deal, much the same as SC and UCLA. Desirable for media market domination (don't want a competitive conference taking the other team), helps scheduling, etc.
bipolarbear
I don't know if he has the personality for broadcast.
philbert
Golden One
philbert said:

Hope it's not the OSU and WSU AD's he's referring to. At this point, anything they say is based on prayer.
sycasey
If the B1G isn't taking any new members right now, then it's probably in everyone's best interests to stay together.
calumnus
Golden One said:

philbert said:

Hope it's not the OSU and WSU AD's he's referring to. At this point, anything they say is based on prayer.

Or Knowlton
GMP
sycasey said:

If the B1G isn't taking any new members right now, then it's probably in everyone's best interests to stay together.

Maybe but I agree with those who think if I was one of the MTN/AZ schools I would try to join the Big 12. I'm not sure the Big 12 is viable long term. However, the reports that UW and UO tried to leave the day UCLA and USC did should have every Pac-10 school feeling vulnerable. If those two DO leave, the PAC-8 is in big trouble. So if I'm the MTN/AZ schools, I probably try to get out in front by leaving first.
sycasey
GMP said:

sycasey said:

Maybe but I agree with those who think if I was one of the MTN/AZ schools I would try to join the Big 12. I'm not sure the Big 12 is viable long term. However, the reports that UW and UO tried to leave the day UCLA and USC did should have every Pac-10 school feeling vulnerable. If those two DO leave, the PAC-8 is in big trouble. So if I'm the MTN/AZ schools, I probably try to get out in front by leaving first.
IMO the Big 12 will be there anyway, if and when you need to jump.
GMP
sycasey said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Yes, but they may also be thinking of leverage. If UO/UW leave, and especially if Cal and Stanford also leave, the MTN/AZ schools will have very little leverage and the Big 12 could extract some severe concessions, including lesser payouts. If you're those schools, you'd rather leave from a position of strength.
calumnus
GMP said:

sycasey said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Yes, but they may also be thinking of leverage. If UO/UW leave, and especially if Cal and Stanford also leave, the MTN/AZ schools will have very little leverage and the Big 12 could extract some severe concessions, including lesser payouts. If you're those schools, you'd rather leave from a position of strength.

It could be the B12 schools jumping over to join the PAC-12 at that point. Just depends which is the better shell.
philbert

DiabloWags
Man, what would we do without Wilner?
lol

ferCALgm2
philbert said:

So I should stop visiting the boards to hit refresh every 15-20 mins? Got it...
Econ141
ferCALgm2 said:

philbert said:

Isn't there only 30 day negotiation period for ESPN/Pac-12. Definitely not up to speed on all the happenings but I wonder if this means that whatever ESPN is offering just isn't good enough.
juarezbear
ferCALgm2 said:

philbert said:

This times 1000! Then it's back to all the Teri McKeever mishigas.
ferCALgm2
fat_slice said:

ferCALgm2 said:

philbert said:

Isn't there only 30 day negotiation period for ESPN/Pac-12. Definitely not up to speed on all the happenings but I wonder if this means that whatever ESPN is offering just isn't good enough.
I thought it was a 30 day negotiation period exclusively with ESPN, after that anyone else can jump in with an offer.
Econ141
ferCALgm2 said:

fat_slice said:

ferCALgm2 said:

philbert said:

I thought it was a 30 day negotiation period exclusively with ESPN, after that anyone else can jump in with an offer.

That's true - I am just hoping it gets done and that way we have some clarity. I can't imagine any recruit committing if they have offers from the other power conferences.
Rushinbear
fat_slice said:

ferCALgm2 said:

fat_slice said:

ferCALgm2 said:

philbert said:

That's true - I am just hoping it gets done and that way we have some clarity. I can't imagine any recruit committing if they have offers from the other power conferences.
At this point, no conference is stable. A recruit should go where he is happy and sees the support he needs. If he makes his decision on $$$, he'll get what he deserves, maybe in short order.
Econ141
Rushinbear said:

fat_slice said:

ferCALgm2 said:

fat_slice said:

ferCALgm2 said:

philbert said:

At this point, no conference is stable. A recruit should go where he is happy and sees the support he needs. If he makes his decision on $$$, he'll get what he deserves, maybe in short order.

That is true except that you have certainty if you choose UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin ... You have both football and education locked up. It's hardly a choice if you have an offer from these schools and Cal ... Where would you go right now even if you liked Cal's campus.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.