The Latest Rumors

252,725 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23 said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Well at least we know who the biggest Negabear is. Congrats BigDaddy!
fat_slice is giving him a good run for it.

Big dog. Big daddy. Fat slice. They are all the same person right?

Here is my positive post of the day. Based on this, we are #40.

Right now my hopes are that the sec and B1G try to incorporate about 60 teams. I would imagine we are worthy of being a top 60 program. Had we not sh@t the bed since 2010, we might have been in the top 40 or 50.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ap-poll-all-time-preseason-top-25-college-football-rankings/ar-AAZUpFK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8bd420ecceaa4dac81d8804ad881ead5

BigDaddy
fat_slice said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Well at least we know who the biggest Negabear is. Congrats BigDaddy!

We have an alternative term for Negabears at Cal ... Their called realists.
I mean, how is it negative to say Cal going independent would be very bad for the program?!
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
MinotStateBeav

LTbear
Not a religious man. But maybe it's time to start praying.
dimitrig
LTbear said:

Other than obviously the money is there any other real reason to join the Big10?

I'm not feeling it.

bluehenbear
Well, I think we kinda have to join if UO, UW and furd go along with $C and uc lo$ angele$. poor osu and wsu.
sycasey
MinotStateBeav said:

Sources say!

bearsandgiants
dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

Other than obviously the money is there any other real reason to join the Big10?

I'm not feeling it.

I've longed for a lifetime to play Michigan in the Big House, and at home. The Ohio State game experience was incredible. Wisconsin, Penn State, would also be great. Many of the schools are legitimate educational institutions, and Michigan is like a carbon copy of Cal (and would have a similar following if we invested anything in a winning program). It would have been great. It still might happen. $ ruins everything, it seems.
bearsandgiants
sycasey said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Sources say!

Sources are almost always correct. If it hadn't been for sources, we may never have found WMD in Iraq.
sosheezy
sycasey said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Sources say!

What kind of sourcery is this!?
dimitrig
bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

I've longed for a lifetime to play Michigan in the Big House, and at home. The Ohio State game experience was incredible. Wisconsin, Penn State, would also be great. Many of the schools are legitimate educational institutions, and Michigan is like a carbon copy of Cal (and would have a similar following if we invested anything in a winning program). It would have been great. It still might happen. $ ruins everything, it seems.

What about on the road at Rutgers and Maryland and Northwestern?

CaliforniaEternal
dimitrig said:

bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

What about the trips to Corvallis, Eugene, Pullman, and Tucson? I think most of us would rather travel east than go to some of these podunk western places.
dimitrig
CaliforniaEternal said:

dimitrig said:

bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

What about the trips to Corvallis, Eugene, Pullman, and Tucson? I think most of us would rather travel east than go to some of these podunk western places.

I don't think a lot of students are going to go on 6,000 mile road trips - at least once the novelty wears off.

ColoradoBear
dimitrig said:

bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

Near big cities that would have a lot of Cal Alumni.
calumnus
dimitrig said:

bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

You mean NYC, DC and Chicago? My favorite East Coast and Midwestern cities? Good excuse to visit with a chance at seeing a Cal road win. Loved the roadie to Northwestern almost as much as the trip to beat Texas.

However, the main reason to join (besides money), is USC and UCLA have already joined and if we join Stanford almost certainly is, plus UW and Oregon most likely as well, which would form a West Coast pod of our traditional rivals for 5 of 9 (?) conference games. Which means we would only have 2 Midwest or East Coast road trips (probably one of each) every year. It would be a solid conference where we would be forced to step up.
CaliforniaEternal
dimitrig said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dimitrig said:

bearsandgiants said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

I don't think a lot of students are going to go on 6,000 mile road trips - at least once the novelty wears off.

I've never heard of students road tripping anywhere but the LA schools. All the more reason to join the B1G and keep that tradition going. At this point the Pac is dead without SoCal.
Econ141
MinotStateBeav said:

This was quite an article and shows the vast difference between the B1G leadership and pac-12.

That aside, so what is Cal's case to be viable for including given this quote from the article:

"When I say add value: value is important, but I just look at the fit," Warren told Action Network Tuesday at Big Ten Media Days. "A fit has to be there academically, has to be there athletically. All those things are really important. There are a handful of schools that potentially could add value to us, but I'm so focused right now that we welcome USC and UCLA to our conference in 2024 with open arms."

We are more than covered on the academic side but how the heck do we explain the decade long abject failure in football and basketball? The Olympic sports won't make that up. If we take a longer time horizon, athletics maybe average ... Slightly above Maryland and Rutgers for sure. Is that enough?
CaliforniaEternal
fat_slice said:

MinotStateBeav said:

This was quite an article and shows the vast difference between the B1G leadership and pac-12.

That aside, so what is Cal's case to be viable for including given this quote from the article:

"When I say add value: value is important, but I just look at the fit," Warren told Action Network Tuesday at Big Ten Media Days. "A fit has to be there academically, has to be there athletically. All those things are really important. There are a handful of schools that potentially could add value to us, but I'm so focused right now that we welcome USC and UCLA to our conference in 2024 with open arms."

We are more than covered on the academic side but how the heck do we explain the decade long abject failure in football and basketball? The Olympic sports won't make that up. If we take a longer time horizon, athletics maybe average ... Slightly above Maryland and Rutgers for sure. Is that enough?

NorCal presence is very strategic for B1G schools for student recruitment, corporate ties, and alumni engagement. When you read the comments you can identify that they recognize value comes in different forms, not just athletic media deal value. It would be a strategic investment to bring in Cal and furd, at the expense of less dollars per school.

The tricky part is when it could happen. After announcing their new media deal soon, it's unclear how much appetite there will be in the B1G for dilution in the near term. It could take years until the next black swan event happens in realignment.
calumnus
CaliforniaEternal said:

fat_slice said:

MinotStateBeav said:

NorCal presence is very strategic for B1G schools for student recruitment, corporate ties, and alumni engagement. When you read the comments you can identify that they recognize value comes in different forms, not just athletic media deal value. It would be a strategic investment to bring in Cal and furd, at the expense of less dollars per school.

The tricky part is when it could happen. After announcing their new media deal soon, it's unclear how much appetite there will be in the B1G for dilution in the near term. It could take years until the next black swan event happens in realignment.

Market Rankings
1. New York
2. L.A
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas
6. Bay Area
7. DC
https://www.lyonspr.com/latest-nielsen-dma-rankings/amp/

With the Bay Area, the B1G would have presence in 6 of the 7 top media markets. Important note: if you add Sacramento/Modesto to the Bay Area, Northern California would be #3 behind only New York and LA.
Rushinbear
fat_slice said:

MinotStateBeav said:

All I know is that, if college sport devolves to recruits to the highest bidder, employee status, union membership and negotiations, governed by media and the NFL through the media, we will have minor leagues to the NFL parenthetically housed (literally) on college campuses and playing at college venues nominally maintained by the colleges.

Gone will be academics and the attraction of a new gen of kids who strive to be as we are and do as we did. That's why I care about them. I'm intrigued by the challenge of fielding a competitive team with kids who are actual students and want to become educated. Not that they have displayed their talents to the NFL at our expense.

I stopped watching the NFL years ago. Why would I watch a lesser version of it now?
berserkeley
dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

The real reason would be to continue playing Washington, Oregon, Stanford, USC, and UCLA every year. Those were the only conference opponents Cal fans seem to show up for.

The other reason is to avoid either joining OSU and WSU in the MWC or dropping football altogether.

And, really, what would be so bad about joining the Big Ten if it included 5 games against our favorite West Coast teams every year? I don't get it.
Rushinbear
berserkeley said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

The real reason would be to continue playing Washington, Oregon, Stanford, USC, and UCLA every year. Those were the only conference opponents Cal fans seem to show up for.

The other reason is to avoid either joining OSU and WSU in the MWC or dropping football altogether.

And, really, what would be so bad about joining the Big Ten if it included 5 games against our favorite West Coast teams every year? I don't get it.
If we can't offer the kind of $$$ that competitive recruits can get, we won't be competitive. I think we're seeing it already.
berserkeley
Rushinbear said:

berserkeley said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

If we can't offer the kind of $$$ that competitive recruits can get, we won't be competitive. I think we're seeing it already.

So better to drop football altogether?
Rushinbear
berserkeley said:

Rushinbear said:

berserkeley said:

dimitrig said:

LTbear said:

I'm not feeling it.

So better to drop football altogether?
I don't know the answer. I don't think it's to drop fb. I would hate to see that happen, but I have no reliable info, nor am I able through $$ or reasoning to influence the program, anyway. So, like everyone else, I'm going to sit tight, but not get my hopes up, including my hopes for recruiting any of our top targets...they've mostly gone elsewhere already. Luckily (I think), we have a lot of good players on the roster, so a small class this year is unlikely to have a big impact. Maybe the Portal will hold out hope - guys whose eyes have been opened to how they're being used (in both senses).
DiabloWags
bearsandgiants said:

Sources are almost always correct. If it hadn't been for sources, we may never have found WMD in Iraq.

Or a rigged 2020 Presidential Election.
socaltownie
southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

I'll echo what Cal_79 said. I come up from L.A. and if they're going to be playing on Thursday and Friday nights, I'm done. Maybe I'll come up once a year for Big Game, but that's it.

The game day experience is already screwed up thanks to Cal AD Marketing Dept. The cost of gas, hotel, food etc. etc. is going up and up. And I'm not taking time off from work to see UC Davis, UNLV, or Tijuana Tech, even if on a Saturday at noon. And many of the important people I used to enjoy visiting with have moved to the south to get out of this state.

Adding UNLV, SDSU, Boise, Fresno.......none of those attracts me either.

And games on a neutral site such as L.A. (where I live) simply take another game from Memorial Stadium. I come to the games, in part, to get AWAY from L.A.

Please forgive the rant. But I'm pretty frustrated by all of this.

Exactly. I told my brother (a Michigan alumnus) that if Cal is pushed into the MWC, my season ticket days are over. His response was that we would win more. I said that if we would lose our top players and be competitive at best. Yes, I'd watch games on TV, whether they are on Friday night, Saturday morning, or whenever. But my days of driving up from LA will be over.
Nope. Cal in the MWC dominates. Suddenly you are in a conference where most players are NOT going to the NLF and know it (as opposed to either know it or foolishly dream it). There is a REASON why SDSU of all places does well - it is the best academic institution of the MWC. Now put Cal into that mix.

Yes - it isn't "Sons of Troy" being played over and over again. It will sting. But fundamentally the game day experience of playing the MWC will be SIGNIFICANTLY better and Cal is much better positioned in such a conference, if UCLA picks up some stadium debt to keep olympics alive, to provide a good game day.

Really - some of you need to look at the SDSU atheletic department to see a route forward. Snap Dragon at 40K capacity is going to be so much fun.
Take care of your Chicken
CALiforniALUM
Here is an ABCSports story on Cal being considered for B1G expansion. Likely the same news already noted in this thread but from a different news outlet.

https://apple.news/AMeYuY8ZYRCyjO8ub6o7tMQ
Econ141
socaltownie said:

southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

I'll echo what Cal_79 said. I come up from L.A. and if they're going to be playing on Thursday and Friday nights, I'm done. Maybe I'll come up once a year for Big Game, but that's it.

The game day experience is already screwed up thanks to Cal AD Marketing Dept. The cost of gas, hotel, food etc. etc. is going up and up. And I'm not taking time off from work to see UC Davis, UNLV, or Tijuana Tech, even if on a Saturday at noon. And many of the important people I used to enjoy visiting with have moved to the south to get out of this state.

And games on a neutral site such as L.A. (where I live) simply take another game from Memorial Stadium. I come to the games, in part, to get AWAY from L.A.

Exactly. I told my brother (a Michigan alumnus) that if Cal is pushed into the MWC, my season ticket days are over. His response was that we would win more. I said that if we would lose our top players and be competitive at best. Yes, I'd watch games on TV, whether they are on Friday night, Saturday morning, or whenever. But my days of driving up from LA will be over.
Nope. Cal in the MWC dominates. Suddenly you are in a conference where most players are NOT going to the NLF and know it (as opposed to either know it or foolishly dream it). There is a REASON why SDSU of all places does well - it is the best academic institution of the MWC. Now put Cal into that mix.

Yes - it isn't "Sons of Troy" being played over and over again. It will sting. But fundamentally the game day experience of playing the MWC will be SIGNIFICANTLY better and Cal is much better positioned in such a conference, if UCLA picks up some stadium debt to keep olympics alive, to provide a good game day.

Really - some of you need to look at the SDSU atheletic department to see a route forward. Snap Dragon at 40K capacity is going to be so much fun.

Gameday experience won't matter if there are very few fans left. Playing on the big leagues keeps us relevant. Even if we can't compete on $$$ we still can have those epic seasons on those off chances/years where have a "tedford" as coach.

Winning the MWC is like winning the NIT - nice but stale and you definitely can't go around boasting about that.
socaltownie
fat_slice said:

socaltownie said:

southseasbear said:

TomBear said:

Gameday experience won't matter if there are very few fans left. Playing on the big leagues keeps us relevant. Even if we can't compete on $$$ we still can have those epic seasons on those off chances/years where have a "tedford" as coach.

Winning the MWC is like winning the NIT - nice but stale and you definitely can't go around boasting about that.
And yet.....SDSU is making it work. It isn't $100 cab. It is decidely NIT. But it works and there is a lot of excitement right now in this town for SnapDragon opening and it really feels that even UCSD alumni are excited about Aztec football since it is the "only" thing in town.

I think it is important to note that Tedford x2 ins't in the cards. NIL and collectives and the coming unionization of paid players is the reality.

Will it demand a reboot? Sure. But In many ways this is a return to the 70s where USC and Washington were deeply corrupt programs that crushed cal but the game day experience (often with the UC Davis's of the world) regularly drew 40K because CMS is a great saturday afternoon stadium.
Take care of your Chicken
bipolarbear
DiabloWags said:

bearsandgiants said:

Here we go. . .
Bobodeluxe
bipolarbear said:

DiabloWags said:

bearsandgiants said:

Here we go. . .
WhateverhappenedtoOC?
Deutsch
Dennis Dodd article 7/27/22: Big 10 considering addition of Cal, Stanford, Oregon & Washington…after media rights deal is finalized in August.
ColoradoBear
Deutsch said:

Dennis Dodd article 7/27/22: Big 10 considering addition of Cal, Stanford, Oregon & Washington…after media rights deal is finalized in August.

If Fox wants extra schools out west (which gives it more content and would presumably take late night content from ESPN) and puts a specific expansion price in writing, that could be very plausible. Fox does have some good leverage until the contract is signed to get what they want out of the BT deal. It doesn't seem like ESPN would want to bid up the BT contract if it goes to a open market as they don't have the timeslots for everything.
philly1121
Deutsch said:

If this happens - big IF - then the PAC is toast.
bearsandgiants
philly1121 said:

Deutsch said:

If this happens - big IF - then the PAC is toast.

Why would they consider these schools "after" a media rights deal is finalized? They would need to be part of the deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.