The Latest Rumors

252,799 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
sosheezy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
philbert said:

Unit2Sucks said:

How is the B1G going to get to $100M per year per team?
CBS is expected to pay $350M/year for their time slot. NBC will be buying their time slot. Then there is Amazon/Apple paying for streaming. And don't forget that Fox is driving the whole thing because they will pay the most for Tier 1 rights.
Would NBC's package also include the primary streaming rights on Peacock?
BigDaddy

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
philbert
sosheezy said:

philbert said:

Unit2Sucks said:

CBS is expected to pay $350M/year for their time slot. NBC will be buying their time slot. Then there is Amazon/Apple paying for streaming. And don't forget that Fox is driving the whole thing because they will pay the most for Tier 1 rights.
Would NBC's package also include the primary streaming rights on Peacock?
LTbear
Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

By Fox, CBS, and NBC picking up the rights and willing to pay even more than ESPN. This is a not a bad sign for the Big Ten.
They need to cobble together $1.6B per year. The B1G tried to get 1/4 of that from ESPN who decided it wasn't worth it. I think there is every reason to be skeptical that the B1G won't be able to get there.

You're interpreting this wrong - the B1G DID get that piece of the pie, ESPN just got outbid for it. CBS is reportedly paying $350 million per year for what is at best the 2nd tier B1G game of the week. That's more than $20 million per school for that one time slot. The B1G is going to be making insane money. FOX, CBS, NBC and a streaming partner are collectively paying out their arse for different slices of the B1G pie.
maxer
LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

By Fox, CBS, and NBC picking up the rights and willing to pay even more than ESPN. This is a not a bad sign for the Big Ten.
They need to cobble together $1.6B per year. The B1G tried to get 1/4 of that from ESPN who decided it wasn't worth it. I think there is every reason to be skeptical that the B1G won't be able to get there.

You're interpreting this wrong - the B1G DID get that piece of the pie, ESPN just got outbid for it. The B1G is going to be making insane money. FOX, CBS, NBC and a streaming partner are collectively paying out their arse for different slices of the B1G pie.
it's $1.23B per year ($500m from Fox for first position, $350m from NBC for Sat night, and $380m from CBS for 3:30 window) which is just under $77m per school. The rest is meant to come from football playoff, NCAA tournament, radio, etc.
Unit2Sucks
got it - thanks for sharing all of that. Crazy the numbers to host 1 game per week!
okaydo

Arcadiabear
Yes. this proves that they might get EVEN MORE than $100 M a school.

Also means that we can end this thread early. If they get into an agreement, there won't be any further realignment for the next 3 to 5 years. They will have a clause in there if ND moves and that could trigger things

I was hoping the B1G can leverage this round of negotiation, add OU, UW, Stanford and US and raise the #s by say 200 M and give us a reduced payout. But if they are finalizing negotiation then none of us are in the picture and we won't talk about this again until 5 to 7 years later when it's time to re-negotiate.

Oski87
maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

You're interpreting this wrong - the B1G DID get that piece of the pie, ESPN just got outbid for it. The B1G is going to be making insane money. FOX, CBS, NBC and a streaming partner are collectively paying out their arse for different slices of the B1G pie.
it's $1.23B per year ($500m from Fox for first position, $350m from NBC for Sat night, and $380m from CBS for 3:30 window) which is just under $77m per school. The rest is meant to come from football playoff, NCAA tournament, radio, etc.
So top 3 games of the week pay 1.2 billion. And the other 7 games each weekend with 16 teams? 120 games per year, average of 9 or 10 per weekend. 120 games at 1.2 billion makes sense at 10 million per game. But if I understand the rights - that is only 1.2 billion for 36 games?

That seems insane. Are they really paying 30 million per game?
berserkeley
Arcadiabear said:

Also means that we can end this thread early. If they get into an agreement, there won't be any further realignment for the next 3 to 5 years. They will have a clause in there if ND moves and that could trigger things

I was hoping the B1G can leverage this round of negotiation, add OU, UW, Stanford and US and raise the #s by say 200 M and give us a reduced payout. But if they are finalizing negotiation then none of us are in the picture and we won't talk about this again until 5 to 7 years later when it's time to re-negotiate.

The initial report from Action Network and then Dennis Dodd that the B1G was going to finalize and sign its media rights deals first and only after that was completed would they consider inviting Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. The B1G would then negotiate a higher figure for those 4 teams and have those 4 teams split that revenue. And the timeline they predicted for the B1G to announce the media rights deal. Aug 15th.
BigDaddy
Arcadiabear said:

From The Athletic...

"Multiple people involved in the process….expect the league's contracts to include triggers that would either allow for renegotiation in the event of conference membership addition or incrementally and automatically adjust the payouts in such an event."

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
GMP
Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

So top 3 games of the week pay 1.2 billion. And the other 7 games each weekend with 16 teams? 120 games per year, average of 9 or 10 per weekend. 120 games at 1.2 billion makes sense at 10 million per game. But if I understand the rights - that is only 1.2 billion for 36 games?

Best I can tell, that is almost as much as the NFL gets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2021/03/19/nfls-new-tv-deals-hand-teams-300-million-per-year-and-still-wont-drive-franchise-values-higher/?sh=6cb3294b4f04

According to Forbes, the NFL's new deal pays $113 billion over 11 years. That is $10.272B per year. There are 32 NFL teams, which breaks down to $321M per team, per year. The teams play 17 games, so divided by 8.5 (2 teams per game), that is $37.8M per game.

The Big-10 is getting almost as much per game for their top 3 games as the NFL gets per game. Which seems...insane.

Arcadiabear
BigDaddy said:

Arcadiabear said:

From The Athletic...

"Multiple people involved in the process….expect the league's contracts to include triggers that would either allow for renegotiation in the event of conference membership addition or incrementally and automatically adjust the payouts in such an event."

Thanks for that, automatically adjust the payout sounds incredible. That could be a sly way for Big 10 to lean into their leverage and negotiate it and say....they get $50 or $75M per additional school, and then just offer that straight to the new schools. Many would jump in a heartbeat
Oski87
GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2021/03/19/nfls-new-tv-deals-hand-teams-300-million-per-year-and-still-wont-drive-franchise-values-higher/?sh=6cb3294b4f04

According to Forbes, the NFL's new deal pays $113 billion over 11 years. That is $10.272B per year. There are 32 NFL teams, which breaks down to $321M per team, per year. The teams play 17 games, so divided by 8.5 (2 teams per game), that is $37.8M per game.

The Big-10 is getting almost as much per game for their top 3 games as the NFL gets per game. Which seems...insane.

Right - that's what I was thinking. Similar to the NFL. Everyone is saying ND will not be able to get Big 10 money. But with their 7 games - are they not worth as much as Minnesota or Wisconsin? 75 million for 7 games seems like not too much now. Actually undervalued when surrounded by the Big 10 game. I doubt they go to the Big 10.

GMP
Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Right - that's what I was thinking. Similar to the NFL. Everyone is saying ND will not be able to get Big 10 money. But with their 7 games - are they not worth as much as Minnesota or Wisconsin? 75 million for 7 games seems like not too much now. Actually undervalued when surrounded by the Big 10 game. I doubt they go to the Big 10.

Considering it more, I think that NFL figure includes the playoffs and super bowl, which makes the big ten deal particularly shocking.
Oski87
GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Considering it more, I think that NFL figure includes the playoffs and super bowl, which makes the big ten deal particularly shocking.
Well, most of the NFL games are only regional. Only 4 per week are national. These would all be national I guess.
Rushinbear
GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Becomes the new floor for the NFL.
calumnus
Arcadiabear said:

BigDaddy said:

Arcadiabear said:

From The Athletic...

Thanks for that, automatically adjust the payout sounds incredible. That could be a sly way for Big 10 to lean into their leverage and negotiate it and say....they get $50 or $75M per additional school, and then just offer that straight to the new schools. Many would jump in a heartbeat

Adding more West Coast schools also gives them more EXCLUSIVE time slots for national broadcasts of inter regional games to sell. The increased value might be pretty high.
BigDaddy
Also from the Athletic with link below:

The Big Ten's decision to add USC and UCLA earlier this summer sparked another wave of speculation about super conferences. Though the SEC and Big Ten are both going to be at 16 members apiece by 2025, the expectation throughout the industry is that neither league is going to stay at that size forever.

But there has not been any major movement since that news broke at the end of June. The Pac-12 is beginning to work through its media rights deal and figure out what it is worth to partners without the L.A. schools. That is likely the next important piece of the puzzle, as will be any sort of contractual relationships that tether schools such as Oregon, Washington and Stanford to the Pac-12 for a set period of time.

The Big Ten opted to add just two schools back in June. Now that the media deal is nearly done, could it look further into the possibility of a western wing? If the Big Ten really wanted to, it could look both to the Pacific Northwest and the Bay Area. That could give the conference inventory for the Saturday late-night TV window a fourth window, for those keeping track at home and also allow for easier travel opportunities for all sports for the L.A. schools.

Could the new media rights deal and relationship with NBC convince Notre Dame to make a move? The Big Ten would surely act quickly if that became a possibility.

https://theathletic.com/3488621/2022/08/08/big-ten-media-rights-facts/

GMP
Rushinbear said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Sure, but they've got ten years left on their deals, I believe.
GMP
Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Well, most of the NFL games are only regional. Only 4 per week are national. These would all be national I guess.

I thought about this and went and checked the article. It's not clear to me, as written, if the rumored deals are ONLY for those 3 exclusive windows or if it includes other games in other windows (or online). At the very least Peacock's games read as if they are included:

"As part of the deal terms, CBS is expected to carry a football game in the 3:30pm ET window on Saturdays, and NBC would carry one in primetime. NBC's Peacock streaming service will carry an undetermined number of games per year exclusively. Peacock also will simulcast the games that air on NBC. "

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/08/09/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten-TV-rights.aspx

Rushinbear
GMP said:

Rushinbear said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

The NFL can break that contract.
maxer
Rushinbear said:

GMP said:

Rushinbear said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

The NFL can break that contract.
Lol. This website is free.
91Cal
GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I thought about this and went and checked the article. It's not clear to me, as written, if the rumored deals are ONLY for those 3 exclusive windows or if it includes other games in other windows (or online). At the very least Peacock's games read as if they are included:

"As part of the deal terms, CBS is expected to carry a football game in the 3:30pm ET window on Saturdays, and NBC would carry one in primetime. NBC's Peacock streaming service will carry an undetermined number of games per year exclusively. Peacock also will simulcast the games that air on NBC. "

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/08/09/Media/ESPN-Big-Ten-TV-rights.aspx

If the streams go to Peacock, then what games are going to be on the B1G network that Fox is the majority of?
berserkeley
GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

But you're comparing the average NFL game to the best B1G game. If the B1G does in fact make $100M/school and we assume 100% of that money comes from regular season football games (it doesn't), the B1G will make $16.5M per game ($1.6B / 97 games - 1 conference championship, 72 conference games, 24 OOC games - which is probably low). And when you remove the bowl game/playoff money plus money from other media rights (like men's basketball), that number is probably below $15M for the average game. Still crazy, but remember, that $37.8M/game for the NFL includes Jaguars vs Jets.
dimitrig
berserkeley said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

But you're comparing the average NFL game to the best B1G game. If the B1G does in fact make $100M/school and we assume 100% of that money comes from regular season football games (it doesn't), the B1G will make $16.5M per game ($1.6B / 97 games - 1 conference championship, 72 conference games, 24 OOC games - which is probably low). And when you remove the bowl game/playoff money plus money from other media rights (like men's basketball), that number is probably below $15M for the average game. Still crazy, but remember, that $37.8M/game for the NFL includes Jaguars vs Jets.

The Big10 money includes Rutgers at Indiana
berserkeley
dimitrig said:

berserkeley said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

GMP said:

Oski87 said:

maxer said:

LTbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

berserkeley said:

Unit2Sucks said:

The Big10 money includes Rutgers at Indiana

Which is why the B1G makes about 40% of what the NFL makes per game
Bobodeluxe
BigDaddy said:

The Big Ten's decision to add USC and UCLA earlier this summer sparked another wave of speculation about super conferences. Though the SEC and Big Ten are both going to be at 16 members apiece by 2025, the expectation throughout the industry is that neither league is going to stay at that size forever.

But there has not been any major movement since that news broke at the end of June. The Pac-12 is beginning to work through its media rights deal and figure out what it is worth to partners without the L.A. schools. That is likely the next important piece of the puzzle, as will be any sort of contractual relationships that tether schools such as Oregon, Washington and Stanford to the Pac-12 for a set period of time.

The Big Ten opted to add just two schools back in June. Now that the media deal is nearly done, could it look further into the possibility of a western wing? If the Big Ten really wanted to, it could look both to the Pacific Northwest and the Bay Area. That could give the conference inventory for the Saturday late-night TV window a fourth window, for those keeping track at home and also allow for easier travel opportunities for all sports for the L.A. schools.

Could the new media rights deal and relationship with NBC convince Notre Dame to make a move? The Big Ten would surely act quickly if that became a possibility.

He forgot to include Cal.
Econ141
Bobodeluxe said:

BigDaddy said:

Haven't seen anyone include us after that initial story of the B1G looking at UW, UO, Cal and Stanford. It's almost like everyone reread it and was like cal? No way that must have been a mistake lol...
dimitrig
fat_slice said:

Bobodeluxe said:

BigDaddy said:

Haven't seen anyone include us after that initial story of the B1G looking at UW, UO, Cal and Stanford. It's almost like everyone reread it and was like cal? No way that must have been a mistake lol...

I heard they were considering taking UC Berkeley over Cal.
going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

BigDaddy said:

She
Big C
dimitrig said:

fat_slice said:

Bobodeluxe said:

BigDaddy said:

pretty sure Berkeley doesn't have a football team... liberal academic school with a bunch of Nobels
calumnus
Big C said:

dimitrig said:

fat_slice said:

Bobodeluxe said:

BigDaddy said:

pretty sure Berkeley doesn't have a football team... liberal academic school with a bunch of Nobels

My favorite was way back when we were playing Oklahoma and got into an inevitable academics debate with a Sooner visitor, who finally said "C'mon Cal's a good school, but it's not like you are Berkeley or something."
Econ141
We should retire Cal and just go with Berkeley. Our helmet can have the Nobel prize emblem on it.

We can also change our mascot from Golden Bears to.... The Berkeliums or The Cyclotrons.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.