The Latest Rumors

228,641 Views | 1901 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
berserkeley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
philbert said:

still don't really understand why everyone says Furd would be a "natural" partner for ND.

What an odd response by Wilner to to that post.

"Can football in the Northeast be saved?"

"That reminds me that the B1G can invite ND without inviting anyone else"
HearstMining
calumnus said:

dimitrig said:

HoopDreams said:

Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

BearGreg said:

calumnus said:

I hope you are right, but Garbers had a 132 career passing rating, Plummer has a 136 but is not as good of a runner. Maybe a Purdue had a worse line and worse talent at WR? We'll see soon enough.
I think the trend line in their development is another relevant way of interpreting the stats.

Plummer got a ton of snaps as a Freshman starter and posted a 124 rating before getting hurt. His Sophomore year, after recovering from his injury, he started the last three games and posted a 152 rating. Last year, he won the job in Camp and started the first four games with a 142 rating.

Garbers meanwhile went 119 in his first year, then 149 in his second before slipping back to 120 as a Junior and then 136 last year.

Plummer and Aidan O'Connell competed every year in Purdue. Plummer beat him out as a Freshman, then while recovering from injury lost his job to him prior to the Sophomore year before beating Aidan out again to end his Sophomore year, he then beat him out one more time entering last year before giving way to O'Connell after leading Purdue to a 3-1 start to the season.

While Plummer has seen far fewer games and snaps than Garbers had entering his fourth year, he is statistically IMO way ahead of Chase. The film reviews demonstrate that even more markedly. And finally, Plummer's Spring performance this year was far better than any Spring performance Chase had while in Berkeley.

Yes, Looking at his stats, he had GREAT, GREAT games against Oregon State and UConn and played fairly well against Notre Dame before faltering and losing the starting position against Illinois.

The big question in my mind will be pass protection and even more importantly Musgrave's utilization of the run game (hopefully Ott kills it) and play-action to put Plummer in a position to succeed. Because if the play calling is predictable and vanilla again and pass rushers can continue to tee off on obvious pass plays, I'm doubtful Plummer can be as effective as he was in Spring practice.

Plummer has a quicker trigger, better accuracy and a little stronger arm. Those things are what we have needed since Webb. He'll be as good..
realignment swallows all other discussions, but I want to get back to Plummer again.

my concern about Plummer:

He might be slightly better passer than Garbers, BUT...

1. he will have less experience with his teammates and coaches
2. he will be operating with less experienced and arguably less talented RBs and WRs
3. our OL looks less talented and experienced, with less depth

and the big one for me...

he is way less a running threat compared to Garbers

Garbers dual-threat was huge for our offense, as teams always needed to account for his run. Defenses couldn't pin their ears back and attack. They needed to keep a spy on him and/or keep contain

Many of our key plays and explosive plays were from his running

His scrambling not only kept plays alive, but often resulted in considerable gains. The alternative is the QB throws risky passes while they are scrambling, or more often just throw the ball out of bounds

I think Garbers was too quick to start running. Yes, he made some plays but I want to see a QB throwing the ball unless his name is Michael Vick.

Musgrave tried to turn Garbers into a pocket passer for the 2020 and half of the 2021 season and it was a disaster. He was a piƱata behind our porous line and vanilla running schemes. We (and Garbers) were MUCH better when he got the green light to run when WRs were covered and a running lane opened up. That in turn helped WRs get open as defenses had to have a safety spy on him.
This should be a make or break year for Musgrave. With whatever strengths and weaknesses he has, Plummer is his guy (as is Millner behind him) so he (Musgrave) better make it work.
To address some of the comments above:
  • I noticed that after Garbers had a successful run, he was much quicker to try and repeat it on subsequent plays - tucking the ball when it was obvious he had not checked second or third receivers.
  • Garbers was a good runner, but he wasn't especially good at throwing on the run.
  • RE: "less talented RBs and WRs". I don't think this is the case. Cal WRs have for several years struggled to gain separation from DBs. Was this poor route running, poorly conceived routes, or just lack of athleticism? Remigio wouldn't see a ball for large portions of games. Why was that? The new guys, as a group, are bigger, faster, and more athletic so I hope an overall improvement.
  • Garbers was much more prone to throwing across the middle. Was that because he didn't trust his arm to make the sometimes longer sideline throws or some other reason?
So, for me, a couple of key success factors on offense this year will be:
  • A passing attack that uses the whole field and a QB who hits receivers in stride so they can get some YAC.
  • Some speed from the RBs so they can spread the field laterally and keep opponents from playing 8-in-the-box.
  • Of course, the offensive line play that allows the first two things to happen.
eastcoastcal
And to add on to the comments regarding QB play & skill positions, I also think a large part of the equation is play calling. There were times last year when we inexplicably abandoned the run! The opposing defense was getting steamrolled and then suddenly we stop running the ball. Better playcalling has to happen imo.
StillNoStanfurdium
philbert said:

still don't really understand why everyone says Furd would be a "natural" partner for ND.

I genuinely think the national media/non-Pac 12 football fans just have no inkling of the Cal/Furd rivalry and think that this annual ND/Furd game that only stretches back to, what, 1988, means that they are primary rivals.
Econ141
StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

I genuinely think the national media/non-Pac 12 football fans just have no inkling of the Cal/Furd rivalry and think that this annual ND/Furd game that only stretches back to, what, 1988, means that they are primary rivals.

Exactly - and Stanford and ND are not in the same conference now and are still playing each other every year. Why do they need to be in the same conference?

Don't get this pairing at all. It's simply a pairing for pairing's sake while Stanford/cal pairing gives you unequivocal ownership of bay area market, keeps tradition with those two plus other Cali schools, way bigger academic presence, and a feel good "saving l local business communities" the windfall they get from rivalry.

ND/Stanford doesn't do squat...

sycasey
fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

Exactly - and Stanford and ND are not in the same conference now and are still playing each other every year. Why do they need to be in the same conference? Don't get this pairing at all
The one argument that makes some sense is if the B1G lands Notre Dame and then wants to add three schools out west to form a pod and get to an even 20. Stanford could be split off from Cal in that scenario. That said, I don't entirely see why that would HAVE to happen in such a situation either.

1. The B1G could just invite ND and that's it. They did it before with Penn State.

2. If they are only taking three Pac-12 teams, it's not totally obvious that Cal would be left out and not Washington or Oregon. Yes, the teams in the northwest have had more football success recently, but if they are weighting market size and academics more heavily they might want to take Cal instead.

3. It's not clear that Stanford would want to leave without Cal. It's entirely plausible that they wouldn't. Their donors care about the rivalry too, and Furd is not desperate for the TV money.

4. USC and UCLA might prefer to have the other California schools join them in the B1G above anyone else in the Pac, ESPECIALLY if UCLA is facing political pressure from the Regents/Governor.

5. The B1G seems perfectly capable of supporting 21 schools just as well as 20, so it's also not obvious why they have to get to that round number.

There are a lot of ways this can go.
maxer
sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

Exactly - and Stanford and ND are not in the same conference now and are still playing each other every year. Why do they need to be in the same conference? Don't get this pairing at all
The one argument that makes some sense is if the B1G lands Notre Dame and then wants to add three schools out west to form a pod and get to an even 20. Stanford could be split off from Cal in that scenario. That said, I don't entirely see why that would HAVE to happen in such a situation either.

How is that a "pod"? Notre Dame is 2000 miles away from Palo Alto, it's just another Big 10 team and a CA team.
calumnus
maxer said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

How is that a "pod"? Notre Dame is 2000 miles away from Palo Alto, it's just another Big 10 team and a CA team.

And as I've said, it doesn't make sense as a football pod, but it REALLY doesn't make sense as a basketball (or other sports) pod where you want to get in two games each weekend when you have a long flight.
sycasey
maxer said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

In that scenario, they'd create a pod of 5 west coast teams to all play each other every year. ND would presumably be in a different pod.
Rushinbear
eastcoastcal said:

And to add on to the comments regarding QB play & skill positions, I also think a large part of the equation is play calling. There were times last year when we inexplicably abandoned the run! The opposing defense was getting steamrolled and then suddenly we stop running the ball. Better playcalling has to happen imo.
Well, if the d stacks the box, the qb has to call out of the run. But, if the qb is not confident he can complete the pass, he's not gonna change the play.
calumnus
sycasey said:

maxer said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

In that scenario, they'd create a pod of 5 west coast teams to all play each other every year. ND would presumably be in a different pod.

Yeah, no doubt it could work for football, better than a "pod" of 2 that they would have now. However, it does not work for the other sports such as basketball. Plus you now have Cal, WSU and OSU separated from their traditional rivals, the Governors of California, Oregon and Washington pissed at you and the prospect of an antitrust suit very high.

If you take Cal and Stanford for a pod of 4 you get the Bay Area, the LA school alums get their annual road trip, you maintain traditional rivalries (remember, when the PAC-12 split North South, the California schools continued to play each other every year), you have natural pairs for basketball and other sport road trips, you get Newsome off your back and you are not as likely to have to defend an antitrust suit.

The bottom line is Cal and Stanford are a natural pair.

Notre Dame stands alone.
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Well, if the d stacks the box, the qb has to call out of the run. But, if the qb is not confident he can complete the pass, he's not gonna change the play.

No we abandoned the run.

Worse, we marched the entire length of the field with power running, got into the red zone, and then went spread, sometimes even empty backfield and 100% passing. You cannot blame the QB for that.
BigDaddy
maxer said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

In a 20 team B1G, a 5 team West Coast pod would be USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon and Washington, Notre Dame would be in a MIdwest, probably with with Michigan, Mich State, Northwestern and Purdue. They play UM, MSU and Purdue regularly and Chicago (NW) is a Notre Dame hotbed.
ā€œMy tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.ā€ - Winston Churchill
Econ141
calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

eastcoastcal said:

No we abandoned the run.

Worse, we marched the entire length of the field with power running, got into the red zone, and then went spread, sometimes even empty backfield and 100% passing. You cannot blame the QB for that.

This thread is now both rumors and 2022 projections. Let's throw in the latest on the McKeever scandal and now we got a megathread in addition to megaconferences.
philly1121
fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

Exactly - and Stanford and ND are not in the same conference now and are still playing each other every year. Why do they need to be in the same conference?

Don't get this pairing at all. It's simply a pairing for pairing's sake while Stanford/cal pairing gives you unequivocal ownership of bay area market, keeps tradition with those two plus other Cali schools, way bigger academic presence, and a feel good "saving l local business communities" the windfall they get from rivalry.

The addition of Stanford and Cal does not give any conference unequivocal ownership of the bay Area tv market.

If the B1G thought that it did, and the Bay Area market meant as much to them as the LA media market, they would have already chosen one or both of us. This really isn't question of pairing. Its a question of what value any pairing would bring.

Does anyone watch Cal outside the Bay Area, with any meaningful number? Does Stanford? Probably not, Most watch college football programs in 2021, Stanford was #46. Cal was #76. Notre Dame was 9th. Ohio State was tops.

Yes, Notre Dame stands alone. But, they already have Michigan and MSU in the B1G. Do they need to pair with them? No, they're already in the B1G. They already play them. so the question then becomes, as far as new schools are concerned, who should we bring in with Notre Dame, as an effective "pairing". UW? Nope. Oregon? Nope. Cal? Nope. None of these have history with ND. Stanford? Yes. I mean, they've met 33 years straight. Couple that with the academics, its a good fit. You don't need both schools to try and gain greater access to the Bay Area media market. If the B1G felt we moved the meter towards "unequivocal ownership" of the media market, our phone would be ringing.
Oski87
calumnus said:

sycasey said:

maxer said:

sycasey said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

Yeah, no doubt it could work for football, better than a "pod" of 2 that they would have now. However, it does not work for the other sports such as basketball. Plus you now have Cal, WSU and OSU separated from their traditional rivals, the Governors of California, Oregon and Washington pissed at you and the prospect of an antitrust suit very high.

If you take Cal and Stanford for a pod of 4 you get the Bay Area, the LA school alums get their annual road trip, you maintain traditional rivalries (remember, when the PAC-12 split North South, the California schools continued to play each other every year), you have natural pairs for basketball and other sport road trips, you get Newsome off your back and you are not as likely to have to defend an antitrust suit.

The bottom line is Cal and Stanford are a natural pair.

Notre Dame stands alone.
I could definitely see the three state AGs banding together to sue the Big 10 if they split the teams like that.
golden sloth
Cal is a net-neutral with regards to income and eyeballs (weak viewership in a big market), with good academics, and would make the most sense as an add to facilitate logistics for other schools. That is not a great argument, but it's also not bad.

Cal is effectively on the bubble.
Oski87
The Bay area is the second biggest market in the PAC 12 and would be the second buy from the big 10. It is simple as that. Oregon and Washington would be third as a package deal. Or Washington and Utah. Biggest football brand still does not translate into revenue for another 10 years compared to carriage rights and market reach, and who knows what Oregon will look like post Phil Knight.

Regardless, if the Big takes the California Market, the Big 12 or the remaining PAC 12 would quickly add San Diego State. Perhaps some others. Maybe Merced eventually gets a team and cleans up in the valley. They have plenty of room for tailgating

While Cal and Stanford did not light it up in terms of fan interest with regard to playing WSU, Oregon State, Davis, etc...playing 5 games at home against USC, UCLA, Michigan State, Minnesota Stanford and Davis is a much better slate. We will get the locals and the Big 10 guys living locally. I mean - we played those guys and our stadium was filled. Perhaps having good matchups every game will get boring at some point, but the Big 10 folks seem to do OK with it. And now, they will be on first tier TV slots. Magically, ratings increase.
sycasey
golden sloth said:

Cal is a net-neutral with regards to income and eyeballs (weak viewership in a big market), with good academics, and would make the most sense as an add to facilitate logistics for other schools. That is not a great argument, but it's also not bad.

The other argument is that Cal is a high-ceiling program. Attendance and viewership are down right now, but could rebound quickly if the program lurches out of mediocrity. And we have evidence of that in the recent past (Tedford years).
Econ141
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

The other argument is that Cal is a high-ceiling program. Attendance and viewership are down right now, but could rebound quickly if the program lurches out of mediocrity. And we have evidence of that in the recent past (Tedford years).

Leave it to Christ and Knowlton to forget this during their pitch to the B1G.
Cal89
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

I find that to be a very valid point; and one that I have to believe will be a factor. And while I imagine this would be true with many/most other schools, it was not so at Stanford during their massively successful run just a few years back...
Sig test...
sycasey
Cal89 said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

I find that to be a very valid point; and one that I have to believe will be a factor. And while I imagine this would be true with many/most other schools, it was not so at Stanford during their massively successful run just a few years back...
Cal has a large alumni base in the region. Stanford does not.
bipolarbear
fat_slice said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

Leave it to Christ and Knowlton to forget this during their pitch to the B1G.
That YouTube video of the 2007 Tennessee game is amazing. Sigh.
Cal89
sycasey said:

Cal89 said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

Cal has a large alumni base in the region. Stanford does not.
Yup, plus many Midwest transplants are here too...
Sig test...
BigDaddy
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

A couple of Holiday Bowl appearances doesn't make Cal a "high ceiling program".

If Notre Dane joins the B1G, Cal will be competing with Oregon, Washington and Stanford for the other 3 spots. So Crist and Knowlton better hope that ND isn't interested or that the B1G wants to go to 24 teams. Because in the 3 spots for 4 teams scenario, it's hard to see them jumping the line ahead of UO, UW and Stanford.

ā€œMy tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.ā€ - Winston Churchill
calumnus
philly1121 said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

The addition of Stanford and Cal does not give any conference unequivocal ownership of the bay Area tv market.

If the B1G thought that it did, and the Bay Area market meant as much to them as the LA media market, they would have already chosen one or both of us. This really isn't question of pairing. Its a question of what value any pairing would bring.

Does anyone watch Cal outside the Bay Area, with any meaningful number? Does Stanford? Probably not, Most watch college football programs in 2021, Stanford was #46. Cal was #76. Notre Dame was 9th. Ohio State was tops.

Yes, Notre Dame stands alone. But, they already have Michigan and MSU in the B1G. Do they need to pair with them? No, they're already in the B1G. They already play them. so the question then becomes, as far as new schools are concerned, who should we bring in with Notre Dame, as an effective "pairing". UW? Nope. Oregon? Nope. Cal? Nope. None of these have history with ND. Stanford? Yes. I mean, they've met 33 years straight. Couple that with the academics, its a good fit. You don't need both schools to try and gain greater access to the Bay Area media market. If the B1G felt we moved the meter towards "unequivocal ownership" of the media market, our phone would be ringing.

They brought Penn State in without a partner.

They brought Nebraska in without a partner.

They most certainly do not need to have a partner to bring in Notre Dame.

Again, why did they bring in Rutgers? Does Rutgers have a national following?

Why did they bring in Maryland? Does Maryland have a national following?

Which universities do you think the university presidents (almost all at large public research institutions, their state's flagship campus) who will vote on this, want to be associated with?

BigDaddy
golden sloth said:

Correct.
calumnus
BigDaddy said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

If Notre Dane joins the B1G, Cal will be competing with Oregon, Washington and Stanford for the other 3 spots. So Crist and Knowlton better hope that ND isn't interested or that the B1G wants to go to 24 teams. Because in the 3 spots for 4 teams scenario, it's hard to see them jumping the line ahead of UO, UW and Stanford.

You set up a false premise. The B1G is perfectly capable of bringing in Notre Dame and no one else as they have done before with Penn State and Nebraska.

You act like number totals are magical to them. That is not reflected in their history.
MrGPAC
philly1121 said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

This is about money. There are two ways that adding a team effects this bottom line.

1) Having a team in the market means that the B1G gets additional money guaranteed for every cable subscriber in that market. In this essence it doesn't matter if anyone watches the content or not, they just get $$$$$ based on the sole fact they have a team in the market. This is why Rutgers is in the B1G.

2) Having something that's more desirable to watch makes it worth more. You are right that Cal/Stanford may not move the needle much here.

But on the raw cash (and exposure) for the B1G to be able to force their way into the tv pacakages and getting those raw subscriber numbers up getting the bay area market is valuable. It is also true that only one of Cal or Stanford is required for that revenue addition.
calumnus
BigDaddy said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

According to Sagarin, Cal was the #2 team in the country in 2004, behind only undefeated USC.

But that is not the point, the point is fans and alumni, eyeballs and TV contracts. When Cal is winning we have a huge fan base. Even when we suck, when our attendance is at its ebb, we had more fans in our stadium than Stanford had at its peak.
maxer
BigDaddy said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

1. It's a high ceiling program b/c of the number of alumni and the size of the media market, not b/c of the success or lack thereof on the field recently. As a lot of people have said to you in a lot of threads.

2. You're making an assumption that there isn't any actual evidence of.
calumnus
MrGPAC said:

philly1121 said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

This is about money. There are two ways that adding a team effects this bottom line.

1) Having a team in the market means that the B1G gets additional money guaranteed for every cable subscriber in that market. In this essence it doesn't matter if anyone watches the content or not, they just get $$$$$ based on the sole fact they have a team in the market. This is why Rutgers is in the B1G.

2) Having something that's more desirable to watch makes it worth more. You are right that Cal/Stanford may not move the needle much here.

But on the raw cash (and exposure) for the B1G to be able to force their way into the tv pacakages and getting those raw subscriber numbers up getting the bay area market is valuable. It is also true that only one of Cal or Stanford is required for that revenue addition.

They get more money for the market if Fox gives them more money for having a team in the market. Who has the biggest alumni base in the Bay Area? Who has the third largest alumni base in Los Angeles? It sure is not Stanford, with the roughly the 5th largest undergrad population in the Bay Area just ahead of USF.

Check this link:
https://www.universitymagazine.ca/10-biggest-college-alumni-networks-u-s/

Most Alumni National Ranking
1. Penn State 673,000
2. Indiana 650,000+
3. Michigan 575,000
4. MSU 552,000
5. UCLA 500,000+
6. Ohio State 500,000
7. UC Berkeley 499,604 (?)
8. Rutgers 486,000+
9. Texas 482,000
10. Purdue 479,025
sycasey
BigDaddy said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

This isn't about bowl appearances, it's about attendance and ratings.

Also, the fact that the Pac-10 had crappy bowl alignment during that time shouldn't reflect on the success of the teams in question.
CALiforniALUM
What role does having athletes viewed as employees play in choosing one or more of the current Pac schools? Isn't the Furd on the record that they will NEVER participate in a system that views players as employees? Are there some longer term changes coming down the pike that make adding some teams now less desirable because the future won't position them as the long-term answer? Cal may be in that group for all I know.
gardenstatebear
calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

fat_slice said:

StillNoStanfurdium said:

philbert said:

They brought Penn State in without a partner.

They brought Nebraska in without a partner.

They most certainly do not need to have a partner to bring in Notre Dame.

Again, why did they bring in Rutgers? Does Rutgers have a national following?

Why did they bring in Maryland? Does Maryland have a national following?

Which universities do you think the university presidents (almost all at large public research institutions, their state's flagship campus) who will vote on this, want to be associated with?

They brought in Rutgers because having Rutgers gave them a team in the New York market, thus enabling them to get a lot more money in carriage fees from New York area cable companies. It didn't matter that opposing fans would chant, "What's a rutgers?" when Rutgers was on the road. They brought in Maryland for the D.C. and Baltimore markets and because it made sense to bring in two eastern seaboard teams at once. (Maryland actually once had an excellent football program; Rutgers has been terrible ever since it went "big-time" in 1980 or so.) They'll bring in Cal and Stanford to have an even number of Pacific coast teams, to enable UCLA and USC to play some road games in their own time zone ---and to get the additional carriage fees from the Bay Area market.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.