Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiiting SMU

118,578 Views | 1094 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by calumnus
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Looks like merger between P12 and ACC is a possibility. From Twitter anyway.

It would make a lot of sense and create a lot of value with East Coast teams playing in the last time slots on the West Coast. Allows ACC to renegotiate their contract. Even potentially includes Notre Dame.
FWIW there's some unsubstantiated chatter that the ACC GOR contains a termination clause for select teams if their compensation falls too far out of line with other conferences to stay competitive. It's clear FSU is making noise about this disparity already. Should be interesting to watch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/11axafk/comment/j9vznz1/

Would think a reputable news outlet would have reported that if true - these contrracts are what 9-10 years old?

Though I'm wondering if FSU and other bigs in the ACC could be appeased with unequal revenue sharing.
WalterSobchak
ColoradoBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

It would make a lot of sense and create a lot of value with East Coast teams playing in the last time slots on the West Coast. Allows ACC to renegotiate their contract. Even potentially includes Notre Dame.
FWIW there's some unsubstantiated chatter that the ACC GOR contains a termination clause for select teams if their compensation falls too far out of line with other conferences to stay competitive. It's clear FSU is making noise about this disparity already. Should be interesting to watch.

Would think a reputable news outlet would have reported that if true - these contrracts are what 9-10 years old?

Though I'm wondering if FSU and other bigs in the ACC could be appeased with unequal revenue sharing.
I have no idea if this clause actually exists but that seems to be what FSU is insinuating and this would provide the leverage they need.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
ColoradoBear
WalterSobchak said:

ColoradoBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

I have no idea if this clause actually exists but that seems to be what FSU is insinuating and this would provide the leverage they need.

https://theathletic.com/3396108/2022/07/01/acc-grant-of-rights-staples/

Article has comments from a lawyer who had seen all three grants of rights (ACC, B12, P12)... No mention of any acc schools having special revenue accomodations. It's quite strange that there are no specific Notre Dame clauses either, as they are clearly a special case.
juarezbear
WalterSobchak said:

ColoradoBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Again, IF this loophole exists, there's no guarantee the SEC or B1G would offer and invitation. What's the incentive for Florida, GA, Bama, Auburn, or Tenn to make another team in their backyard stronger? Ditto Miami which presumably would have the same loophole. Conventional wisdom is that SC would block Oregon from joining the B1G as they don't want the competition. The concept that SC hates Oregon because they cheat is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The Trojans should worry about keeping their own side of the street clean in terms of athletics as well as academics. They cheat in recruiting, USWNR stats, operation Varsity Blues etc…
Strykur
juarezbear said:

WalterSobchak said:

ColoradoBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

The concept that SC hates Oregon because they cheat is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The Trojans should worry about keeping their own side of the street clean in terms of athletics as well as academics. They cheat in recruiting, USWNR stats, operation Varsity Blues etc…
SC doesn't want Oregon in its backyard, they may push for us and the Trees just to gate California for whatever Big Ten pod emerges.
ColoradoBear
Strykur said:

juarezbear said:

WalterSobchak said:

ColoradoBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

The concept that SC hates Oregon because they cheat is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The Trojans should worry about keeping their own side of the street clean in terms of athletics as well as academics. They cheat in recruiting, USWNR stats, operation Varsity Blues etc…
SC doesn't want Oregon in its backyard, they may push for us and the Trees just to gate California for whatever Big Ten pod emerges.

That's the thing right? Half of the Big Ten teams will lose every weekend of conference season. If you are SC, you don't necessarily want to be in a pod with other great teams.

Schools in large markets that can take care of business OOC and boost the SOS but not win head to head most years could be very attractive (Cal and Stanford fit this to a T).

A school in a small market that wins and recruits well due to an infusion of money from a few donors might not raise the profile of a conference, just themslwves. Like if Oregon beats SC regularly in the Big Ten, the conference as a whole loses money and exposure as $C delivers far more interest (locally and nationally) than Oregon. I'm not sure Utah winning has been particularly good for the Pac 12 either, though it's great to see SC get punked.

Other Big Ten schools get easy road trips to not so great football schools built in. SC and UCLA will not have that. So it's going to be in our best interest to see SC and UCLA suffer some soul crushing road losses deep in November in a game full of midwest freezing rain.
calumnus
southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

That would be quite unprecedented, if not incredible, that one or more schools of the Pac10 were to request admission to an athletic conference, be denied, and then sue to force admission. I think, this too, is far fetched. No school with any sense of pride or fear of embarrassment would do such a thing.

Also, comparing the Big 10 to a cartel as a mechanism of/for monopoly isn't realistic. Who's to say, with that rationale, we shouldn't join the SEC? It is, after all, the best conference in terms of teams and market value.

I think a poster on page 9 indicated that USC and UCLA didn't want us in the B1G and I agree. They left the Pac12 and got away from us for multiple reasons, not the least of which is that USC felt they brought most of the value without being compensated for it. Whether we would go in as full or even half shares, they wouldn't want us. It would dilute their brand. They would once again have to share recruitment ground with us.

It is better for the B1G to stand pat, wait to see what happens to the P10 in 4-5 years and if it collapses, they can then pick who they want. This is different from the Big12 who are trying to press for expansion now and likely hasten the P10's demise.

With the Supreme Court affirming that the laws of commerce, especially the antitrust laws, apply to college sports, we are in a brave new world. Paying players above the table was unprecedented too. But here we are.

The issue will be if the PAC-12 craters and schools are locked out of TV contracts and membership in the conferences that have contracts. It is not "suing to get in" it is the risk of being sued for damages if they are excluded and suffer irreparable harm as a result.

The problem with your analysis is that you think a court is going to rule that we belong in the B1G when we have the MWC available. The fact is our football and basketball teams do not perform up to the B1G standards and are far below USC and Southern Branch. How about Air Force? How about Nevada? How about Idaho? How about Montana? How about Fresno? There are many schools (many with teams that out perform ours) that could also whine that they were excluded.

First, MWC schools have not been impacted at all by B1G actions. It is much tougher for them to claim damages. It is tough for them to claim they fit the B1G academic profile.

If the PAC-12 dies, the B1G, Fox and ESPN will be easily be portrayed as the perpetrators and probably as part of a conspiracy. If the B1G refuses to admit, at any value, the left over PAC-10 teams, and those teams are forced to drop down to a much lower revenue level, there will be a basis for damages and the B1G will need to have a good basis for their decision. What is their criteria? Their schools are largely land grant public schools in relatively populous states that are their state's flagship school with good academics. Same as the PAC-12, but not the same as the MWC, which is why the PAC-12 is having trouble finding replacements. The B1G used to only have Midwest schools but now the have Rutgers, Maryland, USC and UCLA. The B1G can argue WSU and OSU don't fit, and easily argue MWC teams don't fit, but they cannot argue Cal and UW don't fit. They can only argue we are not worth full membership $. They cannot argue our value is zero. If they offer less, and we walk because we only want full membership $, then they are off tge hook, they did not refuse to deal, we did.

Similarly, if Cal does not ask to get in, and try to negotiate, we will have no basis to claim they refused to deal with us. For the reasons I stated above, the initiative needs to come from our side, working with Stanford, UCLA and USC especially, plus, UW and Oregon. Or the entire PAC-10.

These are athletic conferences. We are not a good fit in the B1G because our football and mens basketball teams are terrible. Frankly, they suck. The B1G can exclude us for the same reason the Pac 12 excluded Fresno State, Boise State, BYU, and (until recently) SDSU. And don't forget the Pac 12 recently denied membership to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

The pac-12 did not exclude Boise State et al because their football teams "suck" in fact they were usually far better than us. They were excluded because the academic institutions were not a good fit.

Cal and Stanford clearly fit the B1G from an academic standpoint. Exceedingly so. The question is what value our football team (mostly) and basketball (secondarily) would bring. It is clearly not the full share, not in the short run, but it is clearly more than zero. There should be a value that it works, that is how markets work. It is really unfortunate that our teams have gone through the worst 6 years in our history. It is a really bad time for all this to be happening.

I have been saying since he was hired that Jim Knowlton was possibly the worst hire as AD to guide Cal through this critical time in the history of college athletics and after Christ gave him an 8 year extension that we would be lucky to have an athletics program when he is done.

So you think it is acceptable for an athletic conference to exclude a team for mediocre academics but not for mediocre athletics.

I get that you think Cal is a good fit in the B1G. The point is that the B1G does not think we are a good fit. If they expand they will add Oregon and Washington before us. They will certainly add ND if possible and maybe even Stanford. They will add some southern teams if possible before us.

You are like the high school kid who thinks they are hot stuff but can't understand why they have no date on a Saturday night. Our administration has not supported athletics for the most of the past 60 years. We are not an attractive candidate for the B1G.

Why are you making it about me? I don't think we are "hot stuff" I am one of the people on this board that has pointed out that the last 6 years were the worst 6 years in our history and Knowlton is a horrible fit. If we do get left out it is largely due to his incompetence.

It is not about what I think.

It is not what I find "acceptable," it is what a court would decide is "reasonable." There has to be a good reason for the exclusion. When the NFL absorbed the AFC, there was a "minimum stadium size" requirement, but in the end, everyone got in and that was when most money came from ticket sakes.

If the B1G causes the PAC-12 to collapse and they admit some schools but not others they will need to have a defensible standard by which some are included and some are excluded to defend against lawsuits by the excluded schools. The B1G has some teams that are not very good, they recently admitted Rutgers and Maryland. The B1G lawyers (and Fox and Disney lawyers) all know this. We are currently so bad maybe there is an attendance test we would fail.

All I am saying is that, since the 2021 Supreme Court decision, the antitrust laws fully apply and the B1G knows this.

The USFL example is only applicable if the NFL admitted some of the USFL teams, with the intent of causing the league to collapse, but excluded others without good reason. You can bet those owners would sue. The NFL saying "Hey, you can join CFL" would not likely be an adequate defense.

That is why the B1G will not ever say "No" they will only say "not at this time."
southseasbear
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

That would be quite unprecedented, if not incredible, that one or more schools of the Pac10 were to request admission to an athletic conference, be denied, and then sue to force admission. I think, this too, is far fetched. No school with any sense of pride or fear of embarrassment would do such a thing.

Also, comparing the Big 10 to a cartel as a mechanism of/for monopoly isn't realistic. Who's to say, with that rationale, we shouldn't join the SEC? It is, after all, the best conference in terms of teams and market value.

I think a poster on page 9 indicated that USC and UCLA didn't want us in the B1G and I agree. They left the Pac12 and got away from us for multiple reasons, not the least of which is that USC felt they brought most of the value without being compensated for it. Whether we would go in as full or even half shares, they wouldn't want us. It would dilute their brand. They would once again have to share recruitment ground with us.

It is better for the B1G to stand pat, wait to see what happens to the P10 in 4-5 years and if it collapses, they can then pick who they want. This is different from the Big12 who are trying to press for expansion now and likely hasten the P10's demise.

With the Supreme Court affirming that the laws of commerce, especially the antitrust laws, apply to college sports, we are in a brave new world. Paying players above the table was unprecedented too. But here we are.

The issue will be if the PAC-12 craters and schools are locked out of TV contracts and membership in the conferences that have contracts. It is not "suing to get in" it is the risk of being sued for damages if they are excluded and suffer irreparable harm as a result.

The problem with your analysis is that you think a court is going to rule that we belong in the B1G when we have the MWC available. The fact is our football and basketball teams do not perform up to the B1G standards and are far below USC and Southern Branch. How about Air Force? How about Nevada? How about Idaho? How about Montana? How about Fresno? There are many schools (many with teams that out perform ours) that could also whine that they were excluded.

First, MWC schools have not been impacted at all by B1G actions. It is much tougher for them to claim damages. It is tough for them to claim they fit the B1G academic profile.

If the PAC-12 dies, the B1G, Fox and ESPN will be easily be portrayed as the perpetrators and probably as part of a conspiracy. If the B1G refuses to admit, at any value, the left over PAC-10 teams, and those teams are forced to drop down to a much lower revenue level, there will be a basis for damages and the B1G will need to have a good basis for their decision. What is their criteria? Their schools are largely land grant public schools in relatively populous states that are their state's flagship school with good academics. Same as the PAC-12, but not the same as the MWC, which is why the PAC-12 is having trouble finding replacements. The B1G used to only have Midwest schools but now the have Rutgers, Maryland, USC and UCLA. The B1G can argue WSU and OSU don't fit, and easily argue MWC teams don't fit, but they cannot argue Cal and UW don't fit. They can only argue we are not worth full membership $. They cannot argue our value is zero. If they offer less, and we walk because we only want full membership $, then they are off tge hook, they did not refuse to deal, we did.

Similarly, if Cal does not ask to get in, and try to negotiate, we will have no basis to claim they refused to deal with us. For the reasons I stated above, the initiative needs to come from our side, working with Stanford, UCLA and USC especially, plus, UW and Oregon. Or the entire PAC-10.

These are athletic conferences. We are not a good fit in the B1G because our football and mens basketball teams are terrible. Frankly, they suck. The B1G can exclude us for the same reason the Pac 12 excluded Fresno State, Boise State, BYU, and (until recently) SDSU. And don't forget the Pac 12 recently denied membership to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

The pac-12 did not exclude Boise State et al because their football teams "suck" in fact they were usually far better than us. They were excluded because the academic institutions were not a good fit.

Cal and Stanford clearly fit the B1G from an academic standpoint. Exceedingly so. The question is what value our football team (mostly) and basketball (secondarily) would bring. It is clearly not the full share, not in the short run, but it is clearly more than zero. There should be a value that it works, that is how markets work. It is really unfortunate that our teams have gone through the worst 6 years in our history. It is a really bad time for all this to be happening.

I have been saying since he was hired that Jim Knowlton was possibly the worst hire as AD to guide Cal through this critical time in the history of college athletics and after Christ gave him an 8 year extension that we would be lucky to have an athletics program when he is done.

So you think it is acceptable for an athletic conference to exclude a team for mediocre academics but not for mediocre athletics.

I get that you think Cal is a good fit in the B1G. The point is that the B1G does not think we are a good fit. If they expand they will add Oregon and Washington before us. They will certainly add ND if possible and maybe even Stanford. They will add some southern teams if possible before us.

You are like the high school kid who thinks they are hot stuff but can't understand why they have no date on a Saturday night. Our administration has not supported athletics for the most of the past 60 years. We are not an attractive candidate for the B1G.

Why are you making it about me? I don't think we are "hot stuff" I am one of the people on this board that has pointed out that the last 6 years were the worst 6 years in our history and Knowlton is a horrible fit. If we do get left out it is largely due to his incompetence.

It is not what I find "acceptable," it is what a court would decide is "reasonable." There has to be a good reason for the exclusion. When the NFL absorbed the AFC, there was a "minimum stadium size" requirement, but in the end, everyone got in and that was when most money came from ticket sakes.

If the B1G causes the PAC-12 to collapse and they admit some schools but not others they will need to have a defensible standard by which some are included and some are excluded to defend against lawsuits by the excluded schools. The B1G has some teams that are not very good, they recently admitted Rutgers and Maryland. The B1G lawyers (and Fox and Disney lawyers) all know this. We are currently so bad maybe there is an attendance test we would fail.

All I am saying is that, since the 2021 Supreme Court decision, the antitrust laws fully apply and the B1G knows this.

The USFL example is only applicable if the NFL admitted some of the USFL teams, with the intent of causing the league to collapse, but excluded others without good reason. You can bet those owners would sue.
We are being excluded because (a) our teams are not competitive, and (b) our fans don't come to games.

And it's not just the last 6 years. With brief and rare exceptions our teams in revenue sports have been mediocre at best for over 60 years.
calumnus
southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

The USFL example is only applicable if the NFL admitted some of the USFL teams, with the intent of causing the league to collapse, but excluded others without good reason. You can bet those owners would sue.
We are being excluded because (a) our teams are not competitive, and (b) our fans don't come to games.

And it's not just the last 6 years. With brief and rare exceptions our teams in revenue sports have been mediocre at best for over 60 years.

Unlike Rutgers?
calumnus
Forbes on potential for ACC and PAC-12 merger
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zengernews/2023/02/20/the-pac-12s-leadership-needs-to-ink-a-new-media-deal-then-start-acc-merger-talks/amp/
PtownBear1
Question for anyone up on this stuff - if the PAC10 signs a media deal, do the schools have to do individually contract with the conference to receive the funding? Basically, I'm wondering if the schools will be bound for a period of time if a new media deal is agreed upon by the conference.
MrGPAC
ColoradoBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

If this is true then the pac12 is screwed.

Fox worked with the B1G to get the west coast market with UCLA/USC and took themselves out of Pac12 bidding, which lowered the value of the conference by more than just the loss of UCLA/USC.

ESPN and Fox rewarded the Big12 for signing early and not looking at many other options, and didn't bid too much higher than the ACC is getting.

And if this is true not only is Fox out of the running, but ESPN has every reason to minimize our value to ensure their sweetheart GoR deal with the ACC doesn't get invalidated. No wonder we are turning to unconventional sources (streaming) to try to get fair market value. A Pac12 doesn't just get you the late night slot. A network that has no games right now can easily schedule from 10am Pacific to 10pm pacific with 4 time slots (10am 1pm 4pm 7pm), with 1-2 slots double booked (typically the 1 and 4 pm slots), so we do add value to a new player, the question is who all is bidding against eachother for us.
southseasbear
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?
Yes. First of all, Rutgers allowed the B1G to expand their footprint to the East coast, just as adding the two LA schools permitted their presence on the West Coast. Mission accomplished: the B1G does not have to add other teams such as Buffalo in the east or us on the west. Second, Rutgers has a decent basketball team; we don't.

Compare Rutgers's #35 ranking to our #304:
https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/ncaab/updated-college-basketball-net-rankings-for-ncaa-tournament-bm10/

We would be at the bottom of the MWC or the Big Sky. We would be near the bottom of the Big West (above only Northridge and Cal Poly). We would be second from the bottom in the Ivy League (above only Columbia).

Rutgers is a good match for the B1G; we are not.
Bobodeluxe
"Compare Rutgers's #35 ranking to our #304:"

One digit, signifying "nothing".
Big Dog
PtownBear1 said:

Question for anyone up on this stuff - if the PAC10 signs a media deal, do the schools have to do individually contract with the conference to receive the funding? Basically, I'm wondering if the schools will be bound for a period of time if a new media deal is agreed upon by the conference.
the way the ACC deal works is that all schools Grant the Rights (GOR) to broadcast any and all games to the League itself and then the League cuts a deal with a broadcaster, in their case, espn, for payments. So, for example, if FSU decided to bolt to the SEC, the rights to broadcast their games is still 'owned' by the ACC (league) until 2036. (ignoring buyouts)
Big Dog
southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?
Yes. First of all, Rutgers allowed the B1G to expand their footprint to the East coast, just as adding the two LA schools permitted their presence on the West Coast. Mission accomplished: the B1G does not have to add other teams such as Buffalo in the east or us on the west. Second, Rutgers has a decent basketball team; we don't.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/ncaab/updated-college-basketball-net-rankings-for-ncaa-tournament-bm10/

We would be at the bottom of the MWC or the Big Sky. We would be near the bottom of the Big West (above only Northridge and Cal Poly). We would be second from the bottom in the Ivy League (above only Columbia).

Indeed. Despite the dissing of Rutgers on this site, they are a member of AAU, 65 of the nation's leading research universities.

btw: San Diego State ain't close to AAU.
tequila4kapp
From a sports perspective there are interesting options with a P12/ACC merger. You could form 4 geographic pods. 5 games against your own pod, 1 game against each other pod, 4 non-con games. Travel wouldn't be horrible. The extra non-con games allow teams to buy more Ws and/or schedule high profile content that is valuable to tv. A hiccup is that the ACC has 14 teams instead of 12 so the pod math doesn't work exactly right.
6956bear
southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

Rutgers has not always been good for basketball. They are much better recently and have made steady progress since they gained entry to the B1G. Their first season they were 3-15 in league. And they are bad in football (worse than Cal).

There are other measures besides athletic acheivement. Quality of the University as a whole, alumni, location all matter to the B1G Presidents. Fox may not care but if another Media partner wants in it could change things. Amazon is rumored to still be talking with the B1G about a small package of games. Likely that would be for late window games where there is little real competition for now.

TV loves winning and viewership. Cal has some concerns in that regard. But lets look at who they will play if they enter the B1G. No more games vs OSU, WSU, UA etc that do not draw TV viewers. Those games will be replaced by adding back USC, UCLA and keeping high viewership matchups with UO, UW and Furd. While adding the B1G members who watch in large numbers. TV ratings will be improved simply by changing conference affiliations.

There are cost considerations that matter when adding to your league. Adding additional western partners reduces the burden. But there likely needs to be another TV partner added to get the revenues and late window required to make the B1G Presidents more amendable to adding to the league. They also likely want to allow Notre Dame a long window to make a definitive decision. They want to stay independent but will NBC pay them what they really want to stay independent? They will move some day, but that day may still be a few years away.

The Bay Area is a significant market as is Seattle. Yes they have the big market in SoCal, but taking the entire west coast is a big coup if they can swing it. There are a lot of non sports reasons for adding Cal, Furd, UW and UO. But the B1G presidents made it clear they will not forgoe significant (any?) revenues at this time to make it happen. So hopefully there are real talks to get another media partner to pay for the addition of the western programs.

The P12 is not a long term solution any longer. IMO it is an overall benefit to all of college sports if the B1G takes Cal, Stanford, UO and UW and the Big 12 takes UA, ASU, Utah and Colorado. OSU and WSU could end up in the MWC. And SDSU could find its way into the Big 12 as well.

IMO this is best for as many schools as possible. The P12 remaining as is for around $30M per just delays the inevitable.
tequila4kapp
Basketball (and academics) is largely irrelevant to conference realignment. It is about football brands and tv markets being valuable enough to generate revenue. That is all.
6956bear
tequila4kapp said:

Basketball (and academics) is largely irrelevant to conference realignment. It is about football brands and tv markets being valuable enough to generate revenue. That is all.
I think that is largely true. Cal being in the Bay Area market is its most attractive quality. It is a great market that has a very large upside potential. But being strong academically certainly is helpful for conference PR and perception. The presidents do want to portray the conference as strong academically. Even if it is simply window dressing.

But sure TV does not care. They are writing the checks. But the Bay Area is a big and largely untapped market. With a lot of wealth.

BearSD
6956bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think that is largely true. Cal being in the Bay Area market is its most attractive quality. It is a great market that has a very large upside potential. But being strong academically certainly is helpful for conference PR and perception. The presidents do want to portray the conference as strong academically. Even if it is simply window dressing.

But sure TV does not care. They are writing the checks. But the Bay Area is a big and largely untapped market. With a lot of wealth.
Maybe the TV guys think that market size doesn't always translate into being a great market for college football TV broadcasts.

Six largest metro areas in US, per Wikipedia
NYC 23.2 million
LA 18.5
DC 9.9
Chicago 9.9
SF 9.5
Boston 8.4

Out of those, are any of them other than Chicago prime markets for college football? Or are they primarily pro sports markets?

Yes, the Big Ten has recently hoovered up teams in the NYC, LA, and DC markets, but except for USC, the teams they've added are largely for "potential" rather than proven ability to draw large college football audiences. And the Big Ten seems to have added those new markets defensively, against the growing power of the SEC who has added teams that have much more college football drawing power.

Further Big Ten expansion in the west rests on the hope that the Big Ten will double, triple, and quadruple down on the strategy of "big market, hopefully someday they'll be big in college football".

But the Big Ten could, instead, wait things out until they have a chance to acquire Notre Dame and Florida State, the only remaining top-value teams that are not already in the Big Ten or SEC.
southseasbear
Big Dog said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

Indeed. Despite the dissing of Rutgers on this site, they are a member of AAU, 65 of the nation's leading research universities.

My point is that while we may love Cal, it is unlikely that an Federal judge will use antitrust law to force the B1G to take us because they admitted Rutgers. Yes, there are reasons to justify an invitation to us, but there are equally valid reasons to deny us admission. First, they can't be required to take another California team (even if they take Stanford). Second, our athletic program is in shambles and has not been good (with some brief exceptions) for the last 60 years. Finally, there are alternatives for us, such as the MWC (Blueblood has been advocating for that), Big West, Big Sky, and even independent status.'

I'm still waiting for the feds to enforce antitrust on the Facebook/Instagram/Whatsapp. When is that happen?
calumnus
southseasbear said:

Big Dog said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

My point is that while we may love Cal, it is unlikely that an Federal judge will use antitrust law to force the B1G to take us because they admitted Rutgers. Yes, there are reasons to justify an invitation to us, but there are equally valid reasons to deny us admission. First, they can't be required to take another California team (even if they take Stanford). Second, our athletic program is in shambles and has not been good (with some brief exceptions) for the last 60 years. Finally, there are alternatives for us, such as the MWC (Blueblood has been advocating for that), Big West, Big Sky, and even independent status.'

I'm still waiting for the feds to enforce antitrust on the Facebook/Instagram/Whatsapp. When is that happen?

Judges do not initiate antitrust cases. The Justice Department or the FTC initiate criminal antitrust cases and private companies or individuals (usually combined as a class) initiate civil antitrust cases.

The former doesn't happen much any more. The key for the later (civil cases) is damage awards are trebled. If you lost $100 million (net present value) due to the defendant's actions than you can be awarded $300 million from the defendant. It is why the cases often settle and why there are lawyers who are willing to take them on contingency, especially if the defendant has deep pockets or wants to avoid negative publicity.

Here is a $6.2 billion settlement in a class action against Mastercard and VISA on which the largest retailers opted out (and can sue on their own).:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-18/visa-mastercard-reach-6-2-billion-settlement-over-swipe-fees#xj4y7vzkg

Note that "You could just accept AmEx, Discover, PayPal, ApplePay or cash instead" was not an adequate defense.

Fox and ESPN (especially) are the Mastercard and VISA of sports broadcasting. The B1G and SEC are the conference equivalents. The lawyers are very aware of the impact of the Alston decision.

My guess is that ESPN "finds" a solution (partnership with the ACC for additional late night games and revenue) that along with streaming, preserves the PAC-12. Right now, people want a deal with the B1G, SEC, ESPN and Fox so everyone is being friendly. The B1G will try to extend that hope and goodwill by not saying "no" just "not now." However, if at some point there are dead bodies, if there is a credible damage claim, there will almost certainly be litigation.
philly1121
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

Big Dog said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

Judges do not initiate antitrust cases. The Justice Department or the FTC initiate criminal antitrust cases and private companies or individuals (usually combined as a class) initiate civil antitrust cases.

The former doesn't happen much any more. The key for the later (civil cases) is damage awards are trebled. If you lost $100 million (net present value) due to the defendant's actions than you can be awarded $300 million from the defendant. It is why the cases often settle and why there are lawyers who are willing to take them on contingency, especially if the defendant has deep pockets or wants to avoid negative publicity.

Here is a $6.2 billion settlement in a class action against Mastercard and VISA on which the largest retailers opted out (and can sue on their own).:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-18/visa-mastercard-reach-6-2-billion-settlement-over-swipe-fees#xj4y7vzkg

Note that "You could just accept AmEx, Discover, PayPal, ApplePay or cash instead" was not an adequate defense.

Fox and ESPN (especially) are the Mastercard and VISA of sports broadcasting. The B1G and SEC are the conference equivalents. The lawyers are very aware of the impact of the Alston decision.

My guess is that ESPN "finds" a solution (partnership with the ACC for additional late night games and revenue) that along with streaming, preserves the PAC-12. Right now, people want a deal with the B1G, SEC, ESPN and Fox so everyone is being friendly. The B1G will try to extend that hope and goodwill by not saying "no" just "not now." However, if at some point there are dead bodies, if there is a credible damage claim, there will almost certainly be litigation.
The only thing that I see that would possibly be applicable to our current situation and the Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litigation is the allegation by plaintiffs that Visa, Mastercard and the banks violated the law because they imposed and enforced rules that limited merchants from steering their customers to other payment methods.

I think you're analogizing that the B1G, in denying a potential bid from us or another Pac12 school, would be artificially and illegally steering us away from their conference because, "there are other conferences" that we could join.

I really don't think that, if this were to happen, that any litigation would be successful. First, it would really depend on the timing of any request. The B1G is not going to raid the P12. That would certainly invite legal scrutiny. But if the P12 were to disintegrate, and other P12 schools were to ask to join, and were denied entry - they would have to also prove that the B1G prevented us from joining other conferences. Why in the world would the B1G do that?

No. I think to suggest this is absurd. There are certainly other conferences that we could join or align with. It really is a market principle at work here. The B1G is not going to prevent us from joining other conferences if we are not taken. The fact that there are other conferences means that we could continue. And, we are talking about football, after all.
southseasbear
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

Big Dog said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

Judges don't initiate any cases let alone antitrust cases, but they do make decisions. Private parties as well as the two government agencies you mentioned can initiate the cases. Go ahead and file the case (on behalf of Cal if you wish. I'd say your likelihood of success is slightly better than if Boise State filed. Sure we are better academically but our team's performance in revenue sports is far below B1G standards. If the court decision ultimately requires the B1G to admit us, it would set a precedent for every other AAU school, particularly those which unlike us strive for mediocrity.
calumnus
southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

Big Dog said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

Judges don't initiate any cases let alone antitrust cases, but they do make decisions. Private parties as well as the two government agencies you mentioned can initiate the cases. Go ahead and file the case (on behalf of Cal if you wish. I'd say your likelihood of success is slightly better than if Boise State filed. Sure we are better academically but our team's performance in revenue sports is far below B1G standards. If the court decision ultimately requires the B1G to admit us, it would set a precedent for every other AAU school, particularly those which unlike us strive for mediocrity.

Again, where did I say "Cal should sue"? And no, I am not going to sue, I have no standing. Why do you keep making this about me? All I have said is, "If someone gets harmed by the B1G's (in combination with Fox and ESPN as their media partners) actions, there will be lawsuits. And as I explained above, because of the treble damages, civil antitrust suits are generally settled, not decided by judges (or juries).

If the B1G's actions in concert with Fox and ESPN lead to the demise of the PAC-12 and they refuse admission to schools, they will need to have a good justification consistent with their previous admissions. Just not being "good" was ignored before. Importantly they have admitted schools at less than full share before. I am not going to argue with you about who "should" be in. That is a pointless debate, but I get that you really strongly believe Cal shouldn't be. Fine. "Go Bears" I guess. As I said before, I agree Cal revenue sports suck right now and have for 6 years. You want to say 60, I am not even going to argue here because that is NOT what I am talking about.

I am talking about the situation in general. My point is that, due to Alston, the B1G, Fox and ESPN need to proceed very carefully because if there are dead bodies, there will almost certainly be lawsuits. This is most likely why the B1G is proceeding slowly. They are on a legal minefield now. There are no dead bodies, yet, so there are no lawsuits. And again, to be abundantly clear, I am not just talking about Cal, I am speaking generally.

I think that, partly due to the above considerations, ESPN will favor a deal between the ACC and the PAC-12 that generate total revenues for PAC-12 teams at least equal to the current revenues, but closer to the Big 12 revenues, thereby keeping the current 10 together as a viable conference.

southseasbear
calumnus said:

Again, where did I say "Cal should sue"? And no, I am not going to sue, I have no standing. Why do you keep making this about me? All I have said is, "If someone gets harmed by the B1G's (in combination with Fox and ESPN as their media partners) actions, there will be lawsuits. And as I explained above, because of the treble damages, civil antitrust suits are generally settled, not decided by judges (or juries).

If the B1G's actions in concert with Fox and ESPN lead to the demise of the PAC-12 and they refuse admission to schools, they will need to have a good justification consistent with their previous admissions. Just not being "good" was ignored before. Importantly they have admitted schools at less than full share before. I am not going to argue with you about who "should" be in. That is a pointless debate, but I get that you really strongly believe Cal shouldn't be. Fine. "Go Bears" I guess. As I said before, I agree Cal revenue sports suck right now and have for 6 years. You want to say 60, I am not even going to argue here because that is NOT what I am talking about.

I am talking about the situation in general. My point is that, due to Alston, the B1G, Fox and ESPN need to proceed very carefully because if there are dead bodies, there will almost certainly be lawsuits. This is most likely why the B1G is proceeding slowly. They are on a legal minefield now. There are no dead bodies, yet, so there are no lawsuits. And again, to be abundantly clear, I am not just talking about Cal, I am speaking generally.

I think that, partly due to the above considerations, ESPN will favor a deal between the ACC and the PAC-12 that generate total revenues for PAC-12 teams at least equal to the current revenues, but closer to the Big 12 revenues, thereby keeping the current 10 together as a viable conference.

As I've said before, my preference would be for remaining Pac12 teams to expand and then merge with the ACC to create a coast to coast conference.

Perhaps there will be lawsuits. Fresno State has a better claim to join the Pac 12 than Cal has to join the B1G. Fresno is being and has been denied in large part because Cal and Stanford (and previously SC and Southern Branch) did not want the added competition from another school in California. They would be good fit. The same has been true of SDSU for decades during which the conference rejected them (until the 2 Southern teams left). San Jose State, Sacramento State, and Cal-Davis could sue. The Pac added Colorado and Utah but rejected Okahoma and Oklahoma State. Maybe they should sue, as they are a better fit in the Pac 12 than Cal is in the B1G. Maybe Stanford should sue the Ivy League because they are a great fit there. Maybe every school should be able to join a conference without the consent of the other teams in that conference.

Seriously, if there is an antitrust suit it would be against the media outlets that are denying exposure to West coast teams outside of Los Angeles.

In the end, we have only ourselves (to be more accurate, our administration) to blame for consistently fielding uncompetitive football and mens basketball teams.

In the 64 years since Cal's most recent Rose Bowl appearance, beginning 1959, we have had winning conference records only 12 times: 1970, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1979, 1990, 1991, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009.
berserkeley
southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

Rutgers has made the NCAA tourney 2 times this century. Cal made it 9 times. By your logic, Cal is a good match for the B1G, Rutgers is not.
southseasbear
berserkeley said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

Rutgers has made the NCAA tourney 2 times this century. Cal made it 9 times. By your logic, Cal is a good match for the B1G, Rutgers is not.
Make no mistake, Rutgers was added to expand the conference to the east coast. No other team was added or needed to be included. With the addition of the LA schools, the B1G has expanded to the west coast. They do not need any other team. If they change their minds, Oregon and Washington are in line ahead of us.

Could the B1G add us? Sure. Will a federal judge find antitrust violation in not adding us? I don't think so. Again, we have only ourselves to blame for being comfortable with mediocrity.
berserkeley
southseasbear said:

berserkeley said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

Make no mistake, Rutgers was added to expand the conference to the east coast. No other team was added or needed to be included. With the addition of the LA schools, the B1G has expanded to the west coast. They do not need any other team. If they change their minds, Oregon and Washington are in line ahead of us.

Could the B1G add us? Sure. Will a federal judge find antitrust violation in not adding us? I don't think so. Again, we have only ourselves to blame for being comfortable with mediocrity.
I know exactly why the B1G added Rutgers and it had absolutely nothing to do with Rutgers athletics.

My only point is don't try to bring up Rutgers athletics as an argument for why the B1G would invite Rutgers and not Cal because it's a losing argument. For as terrible as Cal athletics has been over the past 60 years, Rutgers has been worse. Far worse.
philly1121
berserkeley said:

southseasbear said:

berserkeley said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

calumnus said:

philly1121 said:

Unlike Rutgers?

I know exactly why the B1G added Rutgers and it had absolutely nothing to do with Rutgers athletics.

My only point is don't try to bring up Rutgers athletics as an argument for why the B1G would invite Rutgers and not Cal because it's a losing argument. For as terrible as Cal athletics has been over the past 60 years, Rutgers has been worse. Far worse.

I think Southseas is saying is that the B1G already has what they want - two West coast teams. They don't need us. They already have the top2 media markets in the country. Stanford and us and probably 6 other teams in the P10 don't tick a box for the B1G. Us and Stanford have academics. Nothing else.
TomBear
I keep reading the B1G added Rutgers to get the eastern market.

Maybe so. But is there any tangible evidence more viewers on the east coast are actually watching?
sosheezy
TomBear said:

I keep reading the B1G added Rutgers to get the eastern market.

Maybe so. But is there any tangible evidence more viewers on the east coast are actually watching?
I've read (forget source) that a big part of it was a carrot to get better negotiated rates for East Coast cable providers for the Big Ten network.
airspace
From the hinter lands of ohio

The real story behind Rutgers is more complicated then people know.

Delaney had always wanted to go to the east coast with eyes on Virginia, North Carolina and a few other ACC schools.

First, the real target was Virginia, who was not interested. Given the problems at Maryland ($50 Million athletic deficit), Maryland President Loh (who had been Iowa) and Brit Kirwin (Chancellor of the Maryland system - had been the President at Ohio State) reached out to the Big Ten. We know how that ended.

Same time the Big Ten was in talks with Georgia Tech, from what I have heard and read on the Georgia Tech boards, they had been offered membership in the Big Ten at the time they were talking to Maryland. The AD had worked hard to line it up, only to have the administration turn it down, to stay in the ACC.

This is where Rutgers came in. Rutgers was always going to be a 14 - 16 - 18 school. Not a primary but a fall back position. Rutgers offered New Jersey on the door step to New York. Solid AAU school and met most of the dynamics the Big Ten was looking for (AAU, continuous, large state, good research, etc). The AD and administration worked hard to stay on the Big Ten radar and ready to present their case when the opportunity arose.

The other part of Maryland & Rutgers was that it helped cement Penn State in the Big Ten. From the early days of Penn State in the Big Ten. PSU and Joe Paterno argued for expansion to the east (sound familiar) so that they would not be an island on the east.

Econ141
airspace said:

From the hinter lands of ohio

The real story behind Rutgers is more complicated then people know.

Delaney had always wanted to go to the east coast with eyes on Virginia, North Carolina and a few other ACC schools.

First, the real target was Virginia, who was not interested. Given the problems at Maryland ($50 Million athletic deficit), Maryland President Loh (who had been Iowa) and Brit Kirwin (Chancellor of the Maryland system - had been the President at Ohio State) reached out to the Big Ten. We know how that ended.

Same time the Big Ten was in talks with Georgia Tech, from what I have heard and read on the Georgia Tech boards, they had been offered membership in the Big Ten at the time they were talking to Maryland. The AD had worked hard to line it up, only to have the administration turn it down, to stay in the ACC.

This is where Rutgers came in. Rutgers was always going to be a 14 - 16 - 18 school. Not a primary but a fall back position. Rutgers offered New Jersey on the door step to New York. Solid AAU school and met most of the dynamics the Big Ten was looking for (AAU, continuous, large state, good research, etc). The AD and administration worked hard to stay on the Big Ten radar and ready to present their case when the opportunity arose.

The other part of Maryland & Rutgers was that it helped cement Penn State in the Big Ten. From the early days of Penn State in the Big Ten. PSU and Joe Paterno argued for expansion to the east (sound familiar) so that they would not be an island on the east.

Thanks for the insights - so the AD and presidents of these schools played a significant role in getting them added.

I think we are royally screwed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.