Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiiting SMU

118,665 Views | 1094 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by calumnus
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
soheezy, canzano also published an article re: cal basketball that wuz full of misinformation fabricated by the con artist & mindlessly repeated like a dumb azz parrot by a donor on this board who can't think for himself...his source for the colorado state misinformation wuz ucla's tracy pierson who wuz working behind the scenes to damage the attendance at cal's 2024 junior day

my source that the pac 12 is staying together is arguably asu's largest donor that speaks directly with prez michael crow...colorado wuz never gonna bail & talk about utsa, north texas, colorado state is just karen brodkin makin up ****

BearSD
calumnus said:

"California" and "Berkeley" are names that people around the country either love or hate. However, we need to be good for people to latch onto us, and we need to be good to be hated.
Yup. Case in point: NFL fans don't hate the Raiders any more, because they're harmless.
philbert
Golden One
philbert said:

Seems like the information coming from insiders for the past 6 months is that "a deal will be reached in a couple of weeks".
Hawaii Haas
Cal football is 44% less popular in 2022 compared to 2005. However, Cal leads the Pac12 and Big 12 with number of alumni on LinkedIn.

https://espn960sports.com/byu/why-the-pac10-is-struggling-to-make-a-media-deal-part-2-how-strong-are-pac12-brands-fan-bases/

BearSD
Hawaii Haas said:

Cal football is 44% less popular in 2022 compared to 2005. However, Cal leads the Pac12 and Big 12 with number of alumni on LinkedIn.

https://espn960sports.com/byu/why-the-pac10-is-struggling-to-make-a-media-deal-part-2-how-strong-are-pac12-brands-fan-bases/

Posting Big 12 propaganda garbage from a station in a Big 12 town (Provo).

Now you've outed yourself as a Big 12 homer who is just trolling here. GFY.

Bobodeluxe
BearSD said:

Hawaii Haas said:

UC Berkeley Bear football has never been more popular. Nearly every game is a sellout, the game day experience is unrivaled the sporting world, the Michelin recognized concessions are renowned, the numerous interminable breaks in the action are filled with unintelligible hypnotic inducing sing-songing which encourages conversation with brother and sister fans, always beginning with, "What the $&#@ did she say?", not to mention the innumerable and memorable wins on the field of competition.

The list could go on.
Hawaii Haas
BearSD said:

Hawaii Haas said:

I won't look up GFY means.

If you can look at my first post, it's was in 2016. Long before this.

While I read how Cal does, since I have a degree from there, conference realignment is one of those things that is unsettling. The P12 plans to scoop up SDSU affects my first favorite team, Hawaii.

Maybe the article is propaganda or not. I didn't know. There is not just one way to look at things. For example, I'll have to look up Google Trends, but maybe the data is right. Maybe the days of Marshawn Lynch, Javid Best, DeShaun Jackson was a different era. That Runningback U was something Cal needs to get back to (was teammates with a great Cal player from HI).

It's that identity. Cal lost its identity. The best Cal football came from recruiting those guys from the East Bay or NorCal. Maybe they were overlooked not sure, and I can't tell you what offense it was; but all I read from you fans (and I consider message board fans to be hard core) is the offense needs to improve.

We will see what happens, but Hawaii is going back to the run and shoot offense. Hard core fans insisted, and finally they are doing it. It's the identity. We've ran the RnS 1999-2011, 2018-2019, and the W-L record is a stark contrast. What I'm saying is stick to a system that worked - and then keep that culture. Boise seemed to do that well.

Anyways, when you hear about Nick Saban flying private jets to visit a recruit in Vallejo or Antioch then you know times have changed. The recruiting game has changed and is changing. Having a system, helps sell those players.

Regarding Google Trends, it is data and it could be cherry-picked (2005 vs 2022), maybe it's generational. Young people don't care about college football. It's just a social gathering. I want to change that in the Bay Area. Regionalization. You hate it. There are money implications. But that's what I think would help revive. That and a nationally ranked team. Coaching change could make most of the difference. But if the P12 serves lemons, then regionalization, and then hopefully national rankings again.

I'm no B12 person. And I grew up a Hawaii fan so I hate BYU (didn't notice the Provo connection). I want to see good teams on the West Coast. I hate "East Coast bias". It's backwards thinking but here we are.

I don't have the same historical mindset or love as you about Cal, so we see things differently. Doesn't mean I'm wrong because of that.
Hawaii Haas
The P12 has the hard stats in its favor (enrollment, endowment, markets), but is underperforming in market penetration.

Maybe being located in college towns in rural places (I consider Eugene one of those places) makes college sports more important to student life - that makes sense. That's also sad and boring.

Ever thought about USC moving to the B10 - 1) for the money, but 2) they were seeing an erosion of the advantages they had (lackluster seasons, recruiting 3 star classes, return of the NFL).

Those stats from that ESPN article (I can't post the table because I'm not a BI subscriber), shows 2004 vs 2022 national interest change for Cal and Stanford down around 44%, USC down 20% and Arizona down 15%. 2004 could have been a peak time for the P12 and 2022 been a trough (USC 2004 vs TCU 2023). So I get it, cherry picking perhaps.

But can we take Google Trends to be "hard trends" or are they "soft trends" based on inability to have a hot team for playoff contention? That's why I liked that article.

ncbears
BigTen wanted Oregon over UCLA?
Oregon?

HearstMining
BearSD said:

Hawaii Haas said:

Why are there so few contributors on this board compared to ten years ago? Its because of personal cracks like this. Let's stop pretending we're in the 8th grade and make reasonable arguments, eh?
Hawaii Haas
An influence to watch is BYU's influence in Arizona. I made some investments there a while back and in my research, the LDS population grew the fastest in the Phoenix MSA, particularly around Mesa, Gilbert and Chandler. You can find demographics data in terms of population growth of most religious denominations. I thought that was interesting.
Hawaii Haas
I don't think it's a stretch to think SDSU is a package deal with the Arizona schools. I know SDSU is just giddy with a potential move up in conferences, but ask any AZ person where they go to go to the beach and it is SD.

I don't have the stats, but I'm going to bet ASU pulls a lot of Californians and largely from SoCal, and I bet SD.

What I'm saying is 4 Corners might eventually be "5 Corners" as a bloc.

Crow is ASU's President:

"Crow, 66, a San Diego native, said his California dream isn't driven by a need for more revenue, or lagging enrollment numbers in Arizona. Rather, he said, he views Arizona and California as key partners in a regional Southwest economy that his national research university should serve without regard to state boundaries. And those who want higher education should have it whatever it takes."

SDSU may provide stability in the short term.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-04-06/uc-csu-college-admission-arizona-state L
6956bear
bluehenbear said:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with Oregon wanting to move the B1G.
He is somebody who likely knows what the B1G is thinking in regards to adding programs. He is enormously qualified for the Oregon job regardless of athletic conference affiliation. But he no doubt has a firm understanding of which programs if any the B1G would like to add other than Notre Dame.
Hawaii Haas
6956bear said:

bluehenbear said:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with Oregon wanting to move the B1G.
He is somebody who likely knows what the B1G is thinking in regards to adding programs. He is enormously qualified for the Oregon job regardless of athletic conference affiliation. But he no doubt has a firm understanding of which programs if any the B1G would like to add other than Notre Dame.

I spoke with a provost of a university system a couple weeks ago. One of their big jobs is to hire executive management for the school (ie AD, Dean of the medical or law schools). It's a good stepping stone to being a president of an university. Oregon hiring a Midwest/B10 former provost is strategic.
Hawaii Haas
I didn't write this, but I thought this was interesting (why Utah is committed to the P12):

Long but interesting post I saw on reddit regarding the Utah President's comments and the Pac's academic/research appeal.

"I have no idea if this is true, since it seems pretty flagrantly unprofessional and out-of-character for Utah's president (I've worked with several folks who have worked with Dr. Randall, and all spoke very highly of him as a professional), but this rationale is absolutely part of Utah's calculus, and I've been saying it for a while now.

The PAC-ALC academic consortium features a resource-sharing system analogous to the BIGAA's system, wherein each school's researchers are granted courtesy access to the RSS ("research support services", or the university-provided services and resources to enable research; the big ones are library resources/holdings, grantwriting centers, and statistical consulting services).

Utah, as well as several other PAC schools (notably Arizona and Colorado), have grown their academic research wings immensely using their courtesy access to the PAC-ALC RSS pool, which is famously subsidized overwhelmingly by the absolutely massive RSS functions at UC-Berkeley (it's pretty well accepted in the scientometric and institutional analytics world that Berkeley has the most impressive breadth of mature RSS functionalities on the planet, surpassing even institutions like Stanford, Cambridge, MIT, etc.), with UCLA, USC, and Washington as the other major contributors, while Stanford's neither takes nor contributes from the pool. Several Big XII schools (Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, OKST, and OU) have apparently made various attempts in the past to form a similar RSS-sharing consortium, but it's consistently been rebuffed because Iowa State and UT would almost certainly be the main contributors (UT is a research giant, and Iowa State has one of the most outstanding statistics departments/consulting centers in the academic world).

The standard university administrative cut is 50% of any competitive grant received by a university faculty member, and Utah's research growth has been immense in their relatively short time in the PAC, and that half of their research funding far outstrips any amount of athletics money they might add. This makes complete sense for Utah, as their on-campus RSS functionality isn't even remotely sufficient to support their academic operations in isolation; Utah needs to keep their courtesy access to UC-Berkeley's and UW's RSS functionality.

That said, I guarantee that Utah's, ASU's, Arizona's, OSU's, Colorado's and WSU's libraries and statistical support centers got huge budget raises this year, and they'll get the same thing again next year. There was speculation in the institutional analytics world that UC-Berkeley might move to limit the courtesy access that they provide other PAC-ALC members, so as to protect the resources available to their own researchers at Berkeley, but it wouldn't shock me at this point if they're using that resource availability as an incentive to keep other schools onboard.
philbert
Another University President (Utah) talks about the status of the media deal

https://espn700sports.com/utes/taylor-randall-gives-the-latest-on-the-pac-12-media-rights-deal-more/

BearSD
HearstMining said:

BearSD said:

Hawaii Haas said:

Why are there so few contributors on this board compared to ten years ago? Its because of personal cracks like this. Let's stop pretending we're in the 8th grade and make reasonable arguments, eh?
Maybe it's because actual Cal fans are tired of threads full of comments by trolls pretending to be Cal fans, and some folks want to play along instead of calling out the trolls for who they are.
Bobodeluxe
The main reason I still visit this site is to laugh at the comments, even though few ever post.
calumnus
BearSD said:

HearstMining said:

BearSD said:

Hawaii Haas said:

Maybe it's because actual Cal fans are tired of threads full of comments by trolls pretending to be Cal fans, and some folks want to play along instead of calling out the trolls for who they are.

Trolls exist, but I fully believe Hawaii Haas is exactly who he claims to be: someone who grew up in Hawaii, went to UH, is primarily a Hawaii fan, but went to Haas for his MBA and also roots for Cal. He is transparent. He stays on topic.

There is absolutely no reason for you to make ad hominem attacks against him. If you don't agree with his opinions or what he posts, refute them.

There are more obvious trolls if you want to spend your time clearing the boards of their threads.
PtownBear1
I have no argument against a call for civility, but come on, you guys can't possibly believe that the reason there are so few Cal fans vs. 10 years ago is because of mean posters and trolls.
tequila4kapp
BigDaddy said:

6 weeks ago. That's when GK was reported to be involved with SMU. This process has taken forever.
Big Dog
tequila4kapp said:

BigDaddy said:

6 weeks ago. That's when GK was reported to be involved with SMU. This process has taken forever.
Dunno why this is so surprising.

The only reason to consider SMU is TV/cable money. OTOH, the academic Uni Presidents (particularly at Cal and Stanford) are still concerned about prestige (AAU) and about the same reason that the UC Regents pushed back on UCLA leaving, i.e., significantly increased travel.

GK can lay out the numbers, but unless those numbers are really compelling, i.e., multiple millions more per school, SMU don't get that Presidents' invite.
tequila4kapp
Big Dog said:

tequila4kapp said:

BigDaddy said:

The only reason to consider SMU is TV/cable money. OTOH, the academic Uni Presidents (particularly at Cal and Stanford) are still concerned about prestige (AAU) and about the same reason that the UC Regents pushed back on UCLA leaving, i.e., significantly increased travel.

GK can lay out the numbers, but unless those numbers are really compelling, i.e., multiple millions more per school, SMU don't get that Presidents' invite.
I wasn't commenting on SMU as much as I was commenting on the glacial pace. Consider:

July 2021 - Kliavkoff starts as new P12 commissioner
July 2021 - TX / OU announce departure for SEC
June 2022 - B12 reaches agreement for Cinci, Houston, UCF to join
June 2022 - Yormack new B12 commissioner
October 2022 - B12 new TV deal announced
February 2023 - Early departure agreement with TX / OU announced
February 2023 - P12 Presidents approve "next steps" with SMU / SDSU expansion process

Notice, the 1st and last entries are P12. All the other stuff is stuff the B12 got done in between.
ncbears
What's frustrating is that I thought Klavikoff was hired precisely because of his perceived ability to get a better media deal.
Big Dog
apples and oranges. Teh B12 is a much easier deal for those involved bcos their options are limited. It helps that those schools exist in states that embrace college sports.

The Pac not only has Uni Presidents to deal with, but also two schools with a foot-out-the-door. Both U-Dub and Oregon would prefer a shorter deal to keep their dreams of joining the BiG alive. Cal and Stanford Presidents look down their noses at SDSU and SMU. Getting 8 votes to approve any deal is not gonna be easy.
6956bear
tequila4kapp said:

Big Dog said:

tequila4kapp said:

BigDaddy said:

I wasn't commenting on SMU as much as I was commenting on the glacial pace. Consider:

February 2023 - P12 Presidents approve "next steps" with SMU / SDSU expansion process

Notice, the 1st and last entries are P12. All the other stuff is stuff the B12 got done in between.
Kliavkoff understimated significantly the P12 value for media rights. He has a tough job knowing that the B1G is potentially looking at adding schools and could add them as soon as 2024. Even with a reduced share that is a big enough number to get teams to move. So he needs a number that keeps everybody. That number is different depending on the school.

UO and UW may need around $40M per to stay and sign a GOR. Given the market that likely means unequal revenues in the P12. The payout could increase with SMU and SDSU but they likely need to agree to a lesser share to start. Maybe much less. Could the P12 presidents squeeze OSU and WSU and force lesser shares since on paper they have no options. What about Cal.

How long does the 4 corner schools wait on a deal? Does UW and UO have "handshake" deals with the B1G? Does Stanford or Cal? How much streaming is acceptable? Lots of questions. I do not like SDSU and SMU as considerations. I get why they are in play though.

The P12 presidents and chancelors are supposedly meeting today. This week for sure. A deadline of sorts has been rumored. That day is April 15. A significant date moving forward is April 17. That marks the first day of the new B1G commisioner. Although reports suggest that hire will not complete til perhaps May. This game of chicken continues.
Bobodeluxe
Kliavkoff understimated (overestimated) significantly the P12 value for media rights.
sosheezy
I think there will be unequal revenue sharing not in the media deal, but rather in the post-season shares. Participants take home a higher split. If we're looking at an average media deal for all schools at near the B12 number, so about $30M/yr, that would mean higher for Oregon/UW and then lower for AZ schools OSU/WSU etc, so low $20M's... then UofA bolts to the B12. Now that may be part of what UofA Prez Robbins comments were recently: publicly we want to stay, we expect to stay, if its close were good, but if its not.... then he's left the door open, and that may ultimately unravel the conference, so there is an incentive to not push that hard for unequal media deal money.
tequila4kapp
6956bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big Dog said:

tequila4kapp said:

BigDaddy said:

Kliavkoff understimated significantly the P12 value for media rights. He has a tough job knowing that the B1G is potentially looking at adding schools and could add them as soon as 2024. Even with a reduced share that is a big enough number to get teams to move. So he needs a number that keeps everybody. That number is different depending on the school.

UO and UW may need around $40M per to stay and sign a GOR. Given the market that likely means unequal revenues in the P12. The payout could increase with SMU and SDSU but they likely need to agree to a lesser share to start. Maybe much less. Could the P12 presidents squeeze OSU and WSU and force lesser shares since on paper they have no options. What about Cal.

How long does the 4 corner schools wait on a deal? Does UW and UO have "handshake" deals with the B1G? Does Stanford or Cal? How much streaming is acceptable? Lots of questions. I do not like SDSU and SMU as considerations. I get why they are in play though.

The P12 presidents and chancelors are supposedly meeting today. This week for sure. A deadline of sorts has been rumored. That day is April 15. A significant date moving forward is April 17. That marks the first day of the new B1G commisioner. Although reports suggest that hire will not complete til perhaps May. This game of chicken continues.
There was a point in time when neither conference had a next tv deal and both conferences had members on their way out. Remember when each was talking about poaching from the other? The B12 acted quickly to add members and get their tv deal done. The 4 corner schools are now an instability to the P12 precisely because it has moved slowly. The B12 does not have the same instabilities because they moved quickly to shore things up.
Big Dog
tequila4kapp said:

6956bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big Dog said:

tequila4kapp said:

BigDaddy said:

There was a point in time when neither conference had a next tv deal and both conferences had members on their way out. Remember when each was talking about poaching from the other? The B12 acted quickly to add members and get their tv deal done. The 4 corner schools are now an instability to the P12 precisely because it has moved slowly. The B12 does not have the same instabilities because they moved quickly to shore things up.
what you term 'instability" is actually a negotiating benefit for the 4-corner schools. If the p10/12 tries to whittle down their prorata share to give Oregon and Washington more, they bolt. They'd love to remain in the Pac due to to CA recruiting, but if the B12 is gonna offer millions more, Buh-Bye.

Regardless, that's 6 schools (out of 10) that clearly have divergent goals. Of course, it's gonna take longer to obtain consensus.
socaliganbear
I have never seen a thread with more people so confidently proclaiming things they have no actual knowledge of. Even for sport forums, this thread is truly a work of art.

Great job everyone.
6956bear
Bobodeluxe said:

Kliavkoff understimated (overestimated) significantly the P12 value for media rights.

Thanks for fixing. That is correct.
BearSD
tequila4kapp said:

6956bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Big Dog said:

tequila4kapp said:

The 4 corner schools are now an instability to the P12 precisely because it has moved slowly. The B12 does not have the same instabilities because they moved quickly to shore things up.
That's not it.

The Pac-12 has *perceived* instability because some folks look at the Big Ten adding two and only two western teams and think, "Ehhh, that's so inconvenient, it can't last long, the Big Ten will definitely fill in the gap and add more Pac-12 members sooner or later." Thus, people think that Pac-12 members who are unlikely to ever pique the Big Ten's interest should be looking elsewhere.

The Big 12 is *perceived* to have great long-term stability because folks think the Big Ten and SEC have no interest whatsoever in adding any of the 12 schools in the "new" Big 12 lineup.

Those perceptions might well be correct, but that is not absolutely certain.
Oski87
socaliganbear said:

I have never seen a thread with more people so confidently proclaiming things they have no actual knowledge of. Even for sport forums, this thread is truly a work of art.

Great job everyone.
This is so true. No one knows anything. The ADs know nothing. The only person who truly knows what is going on is Klavikoff, and possibly some of the presidents. All of whom have said nothing until this week or last week.

On the other side - everyone is talking - because they all have an ax to grind. The Media, because no one is talking. ESPN - because they are on the other side negotiating. Fox, because they have the Big 12 and the Big 10. The Big 12 media consultant, because, well, that's their job.

But I will take a shot at it anyway!

During the last two PAC 12 negotiations, I was surprised at the amount that the PAC 12 got from their media partners. I thought that this year, based on reading some stuff - the PAC 12 could have gotten as close as 50 million. So that was 600 Million per year, per some early pre-exit articles. But the PAC 12 has some advantages, basically the west coast, so I assumed that could happen.

Well, nothing has changed, except that the PAC 12 lost about 300 million in TV revenue because of the loss of the two LA schools. I find it interesting that they left, and still - they did not get what they deserved. A 300 million dollar media deal move - and the Big 10 is paying them 130 million of it. They got the rest of the Big 10 170 million...meaning about 14 million each of Indiana, Nebraska, etc. Once again - level revenue sharing is screwing USC and UCLA....in their new conference. Lets see how that plays out. Of course, Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State have had that for decades, since they are about 300 million in their own right.

Those rights numbers mean that the rest of the PAC 12 is worth about 300 million. That seems right to me - about 30 million each. Early days, the Fox guy who was quoted by Wilner and Canzano said that the rights for Oregon and UW were about 30 million each, and Cal and Furd were about 45 million each (for a total of 15 million of the 300 million) and the other 6 were about 25 million each.

The numbers seem to be consistent - Bay area at about a third of the So Cal market. Northwest about a fifth.

Since then, absolutely nothing has changed - except that the PAC 12 had the best football season it has had in decades, with 6 top 20 teams. I think we will come in above the 30 million each, but we will see. And once that is done, it is done for the next 5 years or so.

Positioning the PAC 12 for the future means making moves now. Adding San Diego State and SMU could drive more than an average of 30 million in revenue if they are additive to the mix, just for markets, and depending on what people think is the market for SDS. For SMU, and for SDS, I am sure the access to the Academics coordination of the UC and the rest of the PAC 12 schools is more enticing that the sports access. And I am sure that the PAC 12 will not give them a full share. But this does build a future where it gives UCLA a chance to come back in 5 or 6 years. If builds a brand in San Diego, and UCLA sees that it can become the sole PAC 12 representative in LA - it may be an opportunity to bring them back in and possibly give them a financial advantage to the rest of the PAC 12 by keeping them whole with the Big 10 revenue. When the next media deal comes in, perhaps TCU and UCLA and Houston want to come to the PAC 12, with maybe Kansas. PAC 12 gets to 16 teams, and we add significant markets in So Cal and Texas. Two 8 team divisions.

The Big 12 would most likely go after the remaining top Mountain West Schools - Nevada's, Boise, Fresno, Colorado State, San Jose State. That would get them to 16 as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.