The Official Jan. 6th Public Hearings Thread

68,834 Views | 885 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fine. Charge him and try him. Let the jury decide. No defense lawyer will allow tRump to testify because he is too stupid to memorize the script that good defense lawyers always prepare for their rare client that doesn't assert the 5th and is smart enough to get on the stand and spew the pre- prepared lies. He is such an imbecile that he would crater his defense even if he was innocent and telling the truth.

After his conviction, his attorneys will keep appealing until, if necessary, it gets accepted by the SCOTUS, which will reverse his conviction and order a dismissal of charges. Thomas will write the opinion for the 6-3 decision.

The only fate tRump can't escape is the one he is subject to as a result of being 5'11 (without his shoe inserts and heels) and 275-300 lbs.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister

concordtom
bearister said:

MTG says Ashii Babbitt was trying to stop people, and that there's an actual video of this.

MTG couldn't be further from the truth. Here, Babbitt is literally the first one into the chamber hallway.
It's really something to see people lie to your face so brazenly.

bearister
Well her heirs can file a wrongful death lawsuit and let the jury decide. You know, that system that the Right is going to get rid of as soon as the SCOTUS facilitates it.

Then when tRump says someone is going to jail, they will actually go to jail without trial or at least without a jury deciding it.
dajo9
BearGoggles said:

dajo9 said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Vandalus said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Vandalus said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

dajo9 said:

I tend to agree that Cassidy Hutchinson was overhyped and served up salacious details more than lawbreaker details (with the exception of the weapons comment which I think is highly relevant). The Committee should have never had her get into hearsay. Now we will be subjected to arguments about the non-issue of how upset Trump was in the car, as if it matters. The Committee will go into recess and the right will effectively spend this time destroying the committee's reputation over this non-issue. Huge strategic error to rush this hearing forward to talk about hearsay. Look for the poll numbers to move against the committee in the upcoming weeks as the right now has their narrative. Stupid.
This is spot on and not the first time the committee has gone for headlines rather than substance and credibility. One problem you have is that if/when a witness is thought to be unreliable (or lying), it destroys their credibility. And of course, exhibit 1 to that is Trump himself.

Funny how many people on this board (and twitter) were euphoric yesterday over the hearsay tales of Trump grabbing the wheel, etc. Complete acceptance of the hearsay as true, with no skepticism among that crowd. Then when those stories were debunked (or at least questioned), it suddenly became "so what, it was not big deal anyway. The real point was XXXXX"
You don't get to question "hearsay" during sworn testimony in front of the nation and then pretend that anonymous tips constitute debunking. If Engel and/or Ornato offer sworn testimony that contradicts her claim that she was told about the incident in the car, then we will have a literal he said / she said situation where we can try to evaluate the credibility of the testimony. If it ever comes to a court of law, there can be a cross-examination and the trier of fact can make a determination.

Nothing has been debunked yet and no credible person would claim otherwise.
First of all I said "debunked (or at least questioned)."

And yes, I do get to question hearsay that would not be admitted in any legitimate trial or legal proceeding. And, per the link below, Engel and Ornato have both given sworn testimony to the committee .

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/january-6-hearings-june-28/h_4ebcebe99d3bf8841463a55fe7efaa5a

Their testimony to the committee has FOR SOME REASON not been released and instead they decided to put Hutchinson's hearsay claims on the TV. Why? If this were a real fact finding committee, we would have heard directly from Engel and Ornato, and perhaps from Hutchinson - but the committee didn't do that. Why? It is almost like the Committee wants people to only see some of the evidence and allow a witness to make hearsay claims of events she has no knowledge of.

Let's get down to brass tacks - she relayed a version of events from within the car on the way back to the white house. She said that Ornato told her that Trump lunged for the wheel, grabbed his arm, and motioned that he would grab his collarbone/neck. The anonymous source says that he would testify that the wheel was not grabbed, nor his neck. ... okay fine; but that's not what she said she was told. Did he embellish the events when telling her what happened? Maybe, maybe not. Was her interpretation of what he said exactly what he said? Maybe, maybe not.

she testified as to what she was told. Was it hearsay - yes. Is there an exception? Perhaps, could have been an excited utterance, it could come in to prove his state of mind (and not the actual content) with an instruction to a jury to disregard the content (and we all know that jurors cannot make these distinctions). BUT - this isn't a court of law, so the refrain that anything that is hearsay is automatically untrustworthy is jumping the shark. I ask questions that elicit hearsay answers all the time in depositions, because the answers are relevant and are likely to lead to the discovery of additional evidence that otherwise would be blunted by a hearsay objection. If hearsay was SOOO verboten, we wouldn't allow that form of testimony in any scenario, and we wouldn't have as many exceptions to the rule that we have.
Sounds like you are the only litigator here. Do you agree with BearGoggles that former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti doesn't understand the federal rules of evidence and is wrong when he says that the DOJ can offer up testimony as to Trump's statements for use against Trump in court?

Quote:

And to be clear, Hutchinson's testimony would not be hearsay if offered by the DOJ at court against Trump. Statements by a "party opponent" are not considered hearsay, according to Federal Rule of Evidence 801(d)(2). In this case, Trump would be the DOJ's "party opponent" in a criminal prosecution of Trump, and her testimony regarding Trump's statements could be used against him in court.

I agree that Mariotti is only talking about the first level of hearsay - her testifying as to what she overheard trump say is hearsay, but its admissible due to the party opponent. When she testifies to something that Ornato told her trump said, it's double hearsay and would need to have exceptions for each level. the first level (something trump said that is against his (pecuniary or legal) interests is the easy one; but the second level - that what Ornato told her is an accurate recitation is a more difficult exception to overcome, and if this were a trial I don't see a judge allowing it in - absent some explication concerning the manner of the statement itself from Ornato (or anyone else).

Admittedly, I didn't read the entire thread on what he said - but from what I read it looked to me that he was taking one statement and hearsay exception and then implicitly extended it to the other hearsay statements she made without providing a real analysis that a judge would actually make for each individual statement.
That's fair. Candidly, I thought 801(d)(2) worked differently. My understanding is that Hutchinson could offer testimony that she heard Engel quote Trump and that it would be admissible against Trump because Trump would have an opportunity to counter or defend the statement. If you are saying that 801(d)(2) only covers statements by Trump that Hutchinson heard, then her statements about the discussion with Ornato/Engel about the car ride would likely be inadmissible.

Mariotti had it wrong.

But to clarify, the argument has been made by others that there are hearsay exceptions that apply to the second level of hearsay. As pointed out by Andrew McCarthy, one that might apply is if Ornato told Hutchinson what happened in the car and Engel was there and said nothing (thereby implicitly endorsing Ornato's testimony). But that is highly fact dependent and, in any event, there is no reason to go there since the committee has already interviewed Engel and could interview him again and ask him directly what happened in the car (if they haven't already).

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/a-closer-look-at-the-hearsay-claims-surrounding-hutchinsons-trump-testimony/

Isn't the bolded exactly what Hutchinson testified to?

Quote:

CASSIDY HUTCHINSON: When I returned to the White House, I walked upstairs towards the chief of staff's office, and I noticed Mr. Ornato lingering outside of the office. Once we had made eye contact, he quickly waved me to go into his office, which was just across the hall from mine. When I went in, he shut the door, and I noticed Bobby Engel, who was the head of Mr. Trump's security detail, sitting in a chair, just looking somewhat discombobulated and a little lost.

I looked at Tony and he had said, did you f'ing hear what happened in the beast? I said, no, Tony, I I just got back. What happened? Tony proceeded to tell me that when the president got in the beast, he was under the impression from Mr. Meadows that the off the record movement to the Capitol was still possible and likely to happen, but that Bobby had more information.
So, once the president had gotten into the vehicle with Bobby, he thought that they were going up to the Capitol. And when Bobby had relayed to him we're not, we don't have the assets to do it, it's not secure, we're going back to the West Wing, the president had a very strong, a very angry response to that.
Tony described him as being irate. The president said something to the effect of I'm the f'ing president, take me up to the Capitol now, to which Bobby responded, sir, we have to go back to the West Wing. The president reached up towards the front of the vehicle to grab at the steering wheel. Mr. Engel grabbed his arm, said, sir, you need to take your hand off the steering wheel.

We're going back to the West Wing. We're not going to the Capitol. Mr. Trump then used his free hand to lunge towards Bobby Engel. And Mr. when Mr. Ornato had recounted this story to me, he had motioned towards his clavicles.
LIZ CHENEY: And was Mr. Engel in the room as Mr. Ornato told you this story?
CASSIDY HUTCHINSON: He was.
LIZ CHENEY: Did Mr. Engel correct or disagree with any part of this story from Mr. Ornato?
CASSIDY HUTCHINSON: Mr. Engel did not correct or disagree with any part of the story.
LIZ CHENEY: Did Mr. Engel or Mr. Ornato ever after that tell you that what Mr. Ornato had just said was untrue?
CASSIDY HUTCHINSON: Neither Mr. Ornato nor Mr. Engel told me ever that it was untrue.

I would also note that the select comm has lawyers on staff and obviously knows what they were told by Engel and Ornato. What makes you think the comm is so dumb that they would have Hutchinson perjure herself over something both salacious and ultimately inconsequential?

Your attacks sound pretty desperate and you seem to be avoiding the obvious implications of her broader testimony. I don't think that's an accident.

The select committee and its lawyers absolutely would mislead and deceive. They have done so many times and they don't care two poops about anyone perjuring themselves if it would harm Trump. And to be clear, I'm not saying she perjured herself - I'm saying her testimony is not reliable as to what actually happened in the hearsay events (including the car). The best evidence is the testimony of the person who was in the car - Engel. But we don't have that? Can you explain why the committee is not producing Engel and Ornato's prior testimony or asking them to testify? If this were a trial, even with hearsay exceptions, the evidence almost certainly would not come in for that very reason.

You never explain one simple and obvious fact - why don't we have Engel's and Ornato's prior testimony and why havn't Engel or Ornato testified at the hearing? Do you think the committee would withhold that information if it helped there case?
Right on cue, BG shows up, starts namecalling and defending Trump, but is totally not defending Trump.

I'm not going to speculate on exactly why the comm. chose to have Hutchinson publicly testify but I find your conspiracy theory quite improbable.
Occams razor. My "conspiracy theory" is wanting to see the evidence that the committee has but won't share. As you probably know, in a legal proceeding "If a party provided weaker evidence when it could have provided stronger evidence, you may distrust the weaker evidence." So my "conspiracy theory" is black letter law.

https://www.justia.com/trials-litigation/docs/caci/200/203/

And why am I not shocked that you consider anyone who disagrees with you as defending trump. So lazy and silly .

Curiously, you've never responded to my overriding point. Do you think its good for the country for one political party to hold show trial hearings where the opposing party's chosen members are excluded and the rules are designed to prevent the opposing party from obtaining and presenting its own evidence? Will you be ok with that when the Republican's do it in January 2023?

Please provide a specific example of the committee lying
Some examples, by no means an exhaustive list.

The committee and its members have repeated the lie that 5 policemen died from 1/6. It is patently false - one policeman died the following day from a stroke that was deemed natural causes and without evidence that he suffered any physical injuries in the riots. The other 4 claimed deaths were suicides, the cause of which is inherently unclear and complicate (and subject to claims motivate by a variety of motivations, including the desire for the families to get line of duty benefits).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brian_Sicknick#:~:text=The%20District%20of%20Columbia%20chief,2021%2C%20before%20they%20were%20buried

Cheney and others have repeatedly taken evidence and presented it out of context or presented only part of what was said. Here is on example where they repeated edited Trump's statements (omitting "peacefully and patriotically").

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-peacefully-and-patriotically/

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-trump-say-peacefully-patriotically-march-capitol-1561718

Here is another.

This is not an accident - they did the same thing at his impeachment hearing.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/trumps-impeachment-video-edited-omit-line-telling-supporters-peacefully-patriotically-protest-55525

And then there are statements of innuendo like this by Adam Schiff, the one human being who might be as big a liar as Trump;

The committee has continue to make and pursue false claims against Barry Loudermilk after he was exonerated of any wrong doing by . . . the Capital Police that dems claim to love.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/jan-6-committee-wont-drop-loudermilk-tour

A lot of the lying is by omission (e.g., omitting evidence that the dem leadership and capital policy had ample prior warnings and offers of security which they refused), which is my larger point about seeing all evidence.

And just to be clear before Unit2 responds with the defending trump trope. All of this is offered as the basis for why the committee is running a show trial rather than a true fact finding endeavor and lacks all credibility. What happened on 1/6 is unacceptable and wrong. Unfortunately, the committee is going about this in a purely partisan and political way which does not serve the goal of finding all facts, hopefully convincing some people of those facts, and, more importantly, ensuring that this never happens again.

We can discard the Schiff right wing propaganda right off the top. Furthermore, the police deaths comment was not a lie. What was said was they "lost their lives as a result". As a matter of opinion I completely agree with that. We all know stress and trauma can lead to negative health. That is why the coroner wrote "all that transpired played a role in his condition". And the suicides of the others? All that transpired played a role in their conditions.

Finally, I dislike relevant portions of comments being edited out. I've had to deal with that numerous times. As a condemnation of the whole committee over that one example, that is weak sauce. But I do look forward to your support next time a right winger does that.
American Vermin
heartofthebear
Tedhead94 said:

BearForce2 said:

Tedhead94 said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

This is what jealousy looks like.

That is not what jealousy looks like. It is something else entirely that you are clearly incapable of seeing.

It's jealousy and Stelter potato head isn't a journalist, he's a left wing activist for a network with pathetic ratings and a pedo producer.

How to write a BF2 post:

Lead with (classic reiteration of previous challenge) + (elementary school name calling with, when possible, sexual or childlike popular reference) + (fake news!!) + (left wing evil, blah, blah) + (comparative size of person's Johnson, either mine is bigger or yours is smaller both works) + (token pedo sign off).

Rinse and repeat with multiple user accounts on as many social media platforms as possible.
You forgot to add a photoshopped image from youtube
DiabloWags
Unit2Sucks said:

Just to be clear, BearGoggles is "bothsidesing" the insurrection. When he says bipartisan, he means that the Republicans should be able to mount a defense for the Republican support for an insurrection and attempted assassination of Pence fomented by their leader Trump.

But BG totally doesn't support Trump at all.

BG is really saying that a "bipartisan" Jan 6 committee is not one where sane conservatives like Cheney and Kinzinger are helping to uncover what really happened on Jan 6 and what led up to it. Instead, I suppose he would want bat**** crazy GOPers to defend what happened on that day and blame it on Democrats is the real bipartisan committee that our country needs. Because both sides!

Funny how he conveniently ignores that MARK MEADOWS declined to testify.

Dan Scavino refused to testify.
Peter Navarro refused to testify.
Steve Bannon refused to testify.

And General Michael Flynn took the 5th.
So much for a military man taking an oath to defend the U.S. Constitution.

I bet that BG is shocked at how the Republicans dont want to tell Trump's side of the story and get to the TRUTH.
bearister
DiabloWags
"I'm not getting in that car" - - - Mike Pence

https://www.newsweek.com/pence-refusing-get-secret-service-car-jan-6-chilling-raskin-1700341
bearister
Jan. 6 inquiry thrusts Secret Service back into center of controversy | Stars and Stripes

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2022-07-02/january-6-inquiry-secret-service-6529433.html

DiabloWags
bearister said:

Jan. 6 inquiry thrusts Secret Service back into center of controversy | Stars and Stripes

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2022-07-02/january-6-inquiry-secret-service-6529433.html

Keith Kellog, part of Pence's security team knowing full well that the VP wished to remain at the Capitol to help certify the election.

"I know you guys too well," Kellogg said. "You'll fly him to Alaska if you have a chance. Don't do it."
Unit2Sucks
But guys, Adam Schiff exaggerated! Maybe more than once. Why isn't everyone talking about that? We need to focus on what matters - Democrat peccadilloes, not an armed insurrection fomented, supported and covered up by the GOP.
MinotStateBeav
"We don't watch CNN and MSNBC, we think for ourselves."

Posts links from CNN and MSNBC.
bearister
MinotStateBeav said:

"We don't watch CNN and MSNBC, we think for ourselves."

Posts links from CNN and MSNBC.

"But the biggest takeaway for me is the realization that Fox viewers aren't just manipulated and misinformed they are literally being made ignorant by their consumption habits. Watching Fox, they hear a lot of "news-like" things, but they don't learn about what's really happening.

And here's where we in the mainstream media can do something useful: We can stop talking about Fox like it's a different form of news and start talking about how it isn't news at all. It's the opposite of news. It's instead of news. It's the absence of news….

The study authors' assertion that partisan slants happen on both sides of the cable news spectrum is the one false note in their report. Fox and CNN are not different flavors of news, they are different things entirely. News organizations with any legitimate claim to that title do not keep important information from the public based on which party it benefits. CNN or primetime MSNBC may be opinionated, but they remain fundamentally fact-based. Fox does not. (MSNBC, like NBC News, is part of NBCUniversal.)"

Fox News study comparing Fox and CNN highlights cable TV's harm

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/fox-news-study-comparing-fox-cnn-highlights-cable-tvs-harm-rcna23620

OSF Preprints | The manifold effects of partisan media on viewers' beliefs and attitudes: A field experiment with Fox News viewers

https://osf.io/jrw26/

Fox News is not news. Say it with me. | Press Watch

https://presswatchers.org/2021/11/fox-news-is-not-news-say-it-with-me/

bearister
The People v. Donald Trump - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/hutchinson-january-6-trump-criminal-charges-odds/661434/
Vandalus
I'm willing to bet each and every family of the capitol police officers who died due to suicide closely following the events have or will be filing federal workers' compensation benefits claims, and in each on of them, the trier of fact will determine (if not already admitted) that those deaths medically arose out of and were sustained in the course of their employment on 1/6/2021.

To assert otherwise, and in the context of trying to bolster the arguing that the committee "is lying," is frankly abhorrent.
Unit2Sucks
Vandalus said:

I'm willing to bet each and every family of the capitol police officers who died due to suicide closely following the events have or will be filing federal workers' compensation benefits claims, and in each on of them, the trier of fact will determine (if not already admitted) that those deaths medically arose out of and were sustained in the course of their employment on 1/6/2021.

To assert otherwise, and in the context of trying to bolster the arguing that the committee "is lying," is frankly abhorrent.

Sure but BG would like you to recall that Pelosi ate ice cream that one time. So both sides.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

Vandalus said:

Sure but BG would like you to recall that Pelosi ate ice cream that one time. So both sides.
I never have understood why Pelosi's ice cream was an issue. Yeah, it was expensive, but not that expensive and she can certainly afford it. At times, I've spent $25 a pound for steak and $35 a pound for coffee. I guess that devalues my opinions on the issues of the day.
bearister
Mitt Romney: America Is In Denial - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/07/mitt-romney-republican-denial-biden-election/661468/
DiabloWags
We just arent a very bright country.

"I have witnessed time and againin myself and in othersa powerful impulse to believe what we hope to be the case. We don't need to cut back on watering, because the drought is just part of a cycle that will reverse. With economic growth, the debt will take care of itself. January 6 was a false-flag operation. A classic example of denial comes from Donald Trump: "I won in a landslide." Perhaps this is a branch of the same delusion that leads people to feed money into slot machines: Because I really want to win, I believe that I will win."

- - - Mitt Romney
BearGoggles
Unit2Sucks said:

Just to be clear, BearGoggles is "bothsidesing" the insurrection. When he says bipartisan, he means that the Republicans should be able to mount a defense for the Republican support for an insurrection and attempted assassination of Pence fomented by their leader Trump.

BG is really saying that a "bipartisan" Jan 6 committee is not one where sane conservatives like Cheney and Kinzinger are helping to uncover what really happened on Jan 6 and what led up to it. Instead, I suppose he would want bat**** crazy GOPers to defend what happened on that day and blame it on Democrats is the real bipartisan committee that our country needs. Because both sides!

Of course, I've said nothing in defense of the riots or Trump. You just make that up.

Looking forward to the 2023 congressional hearings when the Republicans get to pick which "sane democrats" they want to put on their Biden investigatory committees. The entire point is that the other party has NEVER - until this committee - had discretion over who was appointed to committee by the other party.

And, of course, you miss the point. The current 1/6 committee has no intention of finding what really happened. They are interested in presenting facts - but only some of the facts - in support of their narrative. So you and the rest of the left can circle jerk, but very few independents or for that matter conservatives are paying any attention. And the committees findings will never be accepted for that reason, which is a shame.

Why don't we have full information and insight into Pelosi's role in managing security prior to 1/6? Seems like understanding why security was so inadequate - when we know there were ample advance warnings - is a real issue. But the dem committee has no interest.
BearGoggles
Vandalus said:

Of course they're making the filing to increase their survivor benefits. I don't blame them, but this is not the standard for saying a suicide "results" from a prior event. If it were, we'd have a lot of interesting numbers related to the 2020 BLM violence after which no doubt at least some police officers committed suicide. Not to mention the many policemen killed and injured during the actual 2020 riots.

Suicides among law enforcement are high, relatively speaking. Even the national police association has decried the dems politicizing of this issue.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/06/national-police-association-rep-slams-left-for-politicizing-cop-suicides-after-jan-6/
AunBear89
BearGoggles said:

Vandalus said:

Of course they're making the filing to increase their survivor benefits. I don't blame them, but this is not the standard for saying a suicide "results" from a prior event. If it were, we'd have a lot of interesting numbers related to the 2020 BLM violence after which no doubt at least some police officers committed suicide. Not to mention the many policemen killed and injured during the actual 2020 riots.

Suicides among law enforcement are high, relatively speaking. Even the national police association has decried the dems politicizing of this issue.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/06/national-police-association-rep-slams-left-for-politicizing-cop-suicides-after-jan-6/

Yeah! Only Republicans are allowed to politicize dead cops.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Why don't we have full information and insight into Pelosi's role in managing security prior to 1/6? Seems like understanding why security was so inadequate - when we know there were ample advance warnings - is a real issue. But the dem committee has no interest.
There is a fair amount of information out there. If you look past the conspiracy theories that the people you support have offered, it's not really that controversial. Pelosi did not cause or permit Jan 6 to happen.

What you are really saying is that you wish there was an opportunity for the GOP to defend and support the insurrection and to spread more conspiracy theories to inspire their base to help them steal future elections. That's what you mean by bipartisan, not a search for the truth. Cheney and Kinzinger might be the only 2 Republicans in congress who are actually interested in doing the right thing, which is why they are appropriate members of the committee. A "bipartisan" committee of the type you are suggesting would be full of the worse people in congress like Gym Jordan, Gaetz, MTG, Gosar, etc. They would intentionally turn this into a farce and you would show up here saying that the investigation is a farce and has no credibility. We all know how this would play out and your arguments are pretty transparent.

DiabloWags
Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

There is a fair amount of information out there. If you look past the conspiracy theories that the people you support have offered, it's not really that controversial. Pelosi did not cause or permit Jan 6 to happen.

What you are really saying is that you wish there was an opportunity for the GOP to defend and support the insurrection and to spread more conspiracy theories to inspire their base to help them steal future elections. That's what you mean by bipartisan, not a search for the truth. Cheney and Kinzinger might be the only 2 Republicans in congress who are actually interested in doing the right thing, which is why they are appropriate members of the committee. A "bipartisan" committee of the type you are suggesting would be full of the worse people in congress like Gym Jordan, Gaetz, MTG, Gosar, etc. They would intentionally turn this into a farce and you would show up here saying that the investigation is a farce and has no credibility. We all know how this would play out and your arguments are pretty transparent.

As you point out, BG is clearly not interested in that.

If he was, he'd be questioning why acting Def Secty Chris Miller put this out just two days before the Insurrection:
He'll blame Pelosi till the cows come home for a lack of security. But not an obvious Trump "stooge" like Miller.
That's about as disingenuous as you can get.

BearGoggles
Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

The information re security that is out there is not from the committee (it has come from republicans, which given your position is quite ironic) and the committee is strangely uncurious about the major security lapses. I wonder why?

You are so partisan that you can't see (or more likely don't care) that for every Jordan/Gaetz, I can point to a Thompson/Schiff who are among the worst people in congress from the view of the other side. Conservatives and many independents look at a committee headed by Thompson and with Schiff the exact same way you look at the Jordan/Gaetz etc.

There is a long tradition of committees where the political parties view things differently - and in those cases the minority issues their own separate report. But in that process, all evidence is gathered and both sides get to see and test the other's claims and evidence. Not here.

Remember when Schiff and Nunes were each on the House Intelligence Committee and wrote separate memos re FISA? Under your approach, we only get the Schiff Memo which the DOJ inspector general eventually determined was full of errors and misleading (or maybe we only get the Nunes memo). Schiff had to have known what he wrote was misleading - he didn't care and the lapdog media jumped on board.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ig-nunes-and-schiff-11576022741

Bottom line - you don't find facts when only one point of view is represented on a "committee." Unless of course you just want a political show trial with little interest in the truth.

Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

The information re security that is out there is not from the committee (it has come from republicans, which given your position is quite ironic) and the committee is strangely uncurious about the major security lapses. I wonder why?

You are so partisan that you can't see (or more likely don't care) that for every Jordan/Gaetz, I can point to a Thompson/Schiff who are among the worst people in congress from the view of the other side. Conservatives and many independents look at a committee headed by Thompson and with Schiff the exact same way you look at the Jordan/Gaetz etc.

There is a long tradition of committees where the political parties view things differently - and in those cases the minority issues their own separate report. But in that process, all evidence is gathered and both sides get to see and test the other's claims and evidence. Not here.

Remember when Schiff and Nunes were each on the House Intelligence Committee and wrote separate memos re FISA? Under your approach, we only get the Schiff Memo which the DOJ inspector general eventually determined was full of errors and misleading (or maybe we only get the Nunes memo). Schiff had to have known what he wrote was misleading - he didn't care and the lapdog media jumped on board.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ig-nunes-and-schiff-11576022741

Bottom line - you don't find facts when only one point of view is represented on a "committee." Unless of course you just want a political show trial with little interest in the truth.

LOL if you think there is any equivalence between Schiff and the worst Republicans.

But please do tell me what Republicans you think should be on the Jan 6 committee and which Republicans you think would be on the Jan 6 committee.

And just to confirm, you believe this is a partisan issue and that your side (eg the GOP) is on the side of defending and promoting the insurrection. At least that last part is something we can agree on.
bearister
The Republicans wanted Jim Jordan on the committee. Jordan acts, looks and talks like a man consumed with guilt because of what he enabled. He may think he has fooled a lot of people, but he never fooled himself. A desperately unhappy man.

Six former wrestlers say Rep. Jim Jordan knew about abusive OSU doctor - CNNPolitics

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/politics/jordan-osu-wrestlers-strauss-invs/index.html

*Every time I have seen Jordan in a hearing he is long on speech giving and obstructing the proceedings and short on probative cross examination.
Vandalus
BearGoggles said:

Vandalus said:

I bolded the only relevant part of your comment. Legally, I beg to differ. The determination is made by a judge, following the submission of evidence (much of it medical/legal opinion), and legal arguments from competent counsel to make a determination as to whether or not the applicant (family) has met their burden of proof, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the suicide was caused by the events of employment on that day.

By what standard are you ascribing to when answering the question as to whether the suicide was caused by the events of 1/6/2021? Your own lay opinion?
Unit2Sucks
Vandalus said:

BearGoggles said:

Vandalus said:

I bolded the only relevant part of your comment. Legally, I beg to differ. The determination is made by a judge, following the submission of evidence (much of it medical/legal opinion), and legal arguments from competent counsel to make a determination as to whether or not the applicant (family) has met their burden of proof, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the suicide was caused by the events of employment on that day.

By what standard are you ascribing to when answering the question as to whether the suicide was caused by the events of 1/6/2021? Your own lay opinion?
To your ultimate point, widows have done exactly what you claimed and it was reportedly an uphill battle to obtain benefits. At least one appears to have been successful.

If BG and his GOPers were successful in arguing this is all Pelosi's fault, he would probably be joining you in calling these deaths related to the Jan 6 events but rather than insurrection he would call it Pelosi's sole individual lapse in security which had no relation to the massive GOP inspired, supported and defended violent insurrection.

One example:
Quote:

The widow of Howard Liebengood, a U.S. Capitol Police officer who died by suicide three days after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, has sent a letter to her member of Congress, asking she help get her husband's death be designated as "in the line of duty."

"After assisting riot control at the Capitol on January 6th, USCP scheduled Howie to work lengthy shifts in the immediate days following. He was home for very few hours over the course of four days," Serena Liebengood wrote to Rep. Jennifer Wexton, D-Va., revealing details apparently not publicly known.

"Although he was severely sleep-deprived, he remained on duty -- as he was directed -- practically around the clock from January 6 through the 9. On the evening of the 9, he took life at our home," she wrote of her 51-year-old husband.

Second:
Quote:

The widow of an officer who died by suicide after responding to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol is pressing Congress to pass legislation recognizing the trauma suffered by law enforcement officers who take their own lives, which she told CBS News would be a fitting legacy for her husband.

Four officers who responded on Jan. 6 died by suicide within seven months of the attack.

Earlier this month, Erin Smith received an email from Washington, D.C., with the result she had spent more than a year fighting for. The city had ruled that her husband's suicide nine days after Jan. 6, 2021 was caused by injuries sustained in battling the rioters, and as such, his death was found to have occurred in the line of duty.
DiabloWags
BearGoggles said:

And yet you've never shown any concern or questioning of the following from Trump's acting Secretary of Defense, Chris Miller . . . I wonder why?

blungld
Gee, I wonder why the committee didn't put the very people involved in the insurrection and cover up on the committee? Great point Bear Goggles.
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

Vandalus said:

This is about a lot more than ice cream. She also got her hair done that time! And look at Newsom, going to that fancy restaurant: There should be a Congressional hearing about that!
BearGoggles
Vandalus said:

BearGoggles said:

Vandalus said:

There are legal standards and then there are standards of how we typically discuss suicides (and ascribe moral blame for them).

Legally, it is misleading/false to say the riots "caused" the death of a guy (Sicknick) who died from a stroke, particularly when the medical examiner made no such finding. And remember that the dems spread false claims he'd been attacked with a fire extinguisher and died as a result, then DC delayed releasing the coroners report until many months later. The report revealed the dem's knowing lie.

In the case of Sicknick, the line of duty determination was made based on the false information promulgated by the dems - before the medical examiner's findings were released (https://rollcall.com/2021/04/19/capitol-police-officers-natural-death-to-remain-classified-as-in-the-line-of-duty/)

For the record, here the legal standard for benefits was SUPPOSED to be that the death was the "sole and direct" result of an injury on duty and the police officer did not cause his own death.

https://code.dccouncil.us/us/dc/council/code/sections/5-716.html

In the Jeffrey Smith case, initially benefits were denied by a board (not a judge as you claimed) because he caused his own death. Then after political pressure was brought to bear (including by members of congress), the case was reversed (as well as some of the other cases I believe). In simple terms, after intense political pressure, the board did not follow the law (imagine that). And for the record, I believe that law is pretty much the standard throughout the country.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/09/dc-police-officer-jeffrey-smith-suicide-after-jan-6-riot-ruled-line-of-duty-death/

And this was the first time there had ever been a ruling like that, according to the widow's attorney. So this is far from the norm - presumably because the law cited above is directly contrary to the result. Lawyer quoted in this article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/dc-police-officer-died-suicide-jan-6-riot-declared-line-duty-death-rcna19433

Bottom line - the board's legal ruling is a joke. By definition, a workplace injury is not the sole and direct cause of a suicide - the person literally dies by their own hand which is (at a minimum) a contributing cause.

But beyond that, as a moral matter, we typically don't attribute a person's suicide to antecedent or surrounding events. When a man in an unhappy marriage kills himself, do we blame the spouse? Do we say his family killed him? Or do we give the dead person agency, recognizing that suicide is a pretty complicated thing, often involving mental health issues, etc. It is very rare that there is a single cause of suicide or even a direct cause (other than the means of death).

When a person commits suicide due to financial pressures, do we blame the bank? His or her investment advisor?

Are the Clintons responsible for killing Vince Foster? I'm not referring to the BS conspiracy theories. I'm referring to the fact that he killed himself because he was overworked, stressed out defending the Clinton scandals, etc. He wouldn't have killed himself had the Clinton's not put him in that situation. By your logic, Vince Foster died "as the result of" the Clinton's actions.

Did Stanford kill Katie Meyer? Or maybe her parents? Why hasn't it been reported that way?

While you're at it, please let me know who is morally responsible for Kurt Cobain's death - maybe the music industry? Or Courtney Love?

Many police have committed suicide or gone on disability since the dems enacted defund police policies at the local level. BLM and many dems disparage demonize the police. In late 2021, the WAPO described an epidemic of police suicide

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/death-by-suicide-among-police-is-a-quiet-epidemic-it-needs-to-be-acknowledged/2021/08/09/c7dc2036-f941-11eb-9c0e-97e29906a970_story.html

There seems to be a strong connection between workplace stress and these suicides and disability (according to the WAPO and other sources). Do we blame the dems and BLM for these?
BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

And yet you've never shown any concern or questioning of the following from Trump's acting Secretary of Defense, Chris Miller . . . I wonder why?

For one, Miller has testified before congress and the committee multiple times, so it is well known what he's said. And if the 1/6 committee wants to present that, they certainly could (but they haven't, I wonder why?).

Beyond that, the memo above doesn't say what you think it does because your reading comprehension and sources of information are both quite limited. I'm guessing the memo and related reporting are too long for you to read by your own standards (probably 1200 words or more).

The nuance is that the memo is mostly related to chain of command issues for the guard. As explained by Snopes (see link below), there was backlash after the 2020 riots (when Trump called in the national guard after the DC mayor refused to). The DC police wanted control of the guard, and the DOD said no (which is not at all surprising given Bowser's prior failure to act to prevent 2020 violence).

And, as you're clearly not aware, there was a subsequent Jan. 5 document where the Pentagon ultimately fulfilled the DC request, saying that its troops would provide support for the district police department or Capitol Hill Police.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/national-guard-capitol-riot/

The memo you posted circulated through the twitterverse without context. It is shocking to me - I say SHOCKING - that a person with a Cal degree could fail to investigate/understand the correct context and instead blindly repeat false claims. MISINFORMATION!!. We should probably shut down this board because it has been a source of (your) misinformation. I flagged the above post and each and every single one of your posts for the good of the world (not really - I didn't flag any - but that's what you would do).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.