Official BI apolitical COVID-19 Thread

94,471 Views | 980 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
# oldf*rt mumble-grumble
# keep off my lawn

one time bay area stallwart (a real word, i swear) sf chronicle, unlike other civic minded media, hides cornavirus warnings behind paywalls; ie, this'n..

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Coronavirus-cancellations-All-the-Bay-Area-15108569.php

> you've reached your article limit. subscribe now to keep reading.

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
golden sloth
golden sloth said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I think we need a safe space to discuss COVID-19 without devolving into a political blame game.

Please self-moderate and use this thread for general news regarding the xxx-demic.

If you want to mention the government response, please keep it to facts and not partisan bickering.

I give it 10 comments before it devolves in another political poop show.

It appears I was wrong, kudos to everyone, it's nice to be pleasantly surprised by the level of decorum / humanity / restraint on the internet.
OdontoBear66
University of Washington shutting down and going as Internet U....Their quarter ends in a week or two and they hope to clean it up and be back up for Q3....Kirkland is rather close.
Unit2Sucks
This statement from WHO makes me feel better (if it's accurate):
Quote:

Can CoVID-19 be caught from a person who has no symptoms?

"The main way the disease spreads is through respiratory droplets expelled by someone who is coughing. The risk of catching COVID-19 from someone with no symptoms at all is very low. However, many people with COVID-19 experience only mild symptoms. This is particularly true at the early stages of the disease. It is therefore possible to catch COVID-19 from someone who has, for example, just a mild cough and does not feel ill. WHO is assessing ongoing research on the period of transmission of COVID-19 and will continue to share updated findings."

chazzed
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/ (apologies if already posted)
smh
"Coronavirus: nine reasons to be reassured"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/coronavirus-reasons-to-be-reassured

bottom lines as of 6 march..
Confirmed cases 101,800
Deaths 3,460
Recovered 55,866

• We know what it is.
  • We can test for it
  • We know it can be contained (albeit at considerable cost).
  • Catching it is not that easy (if we are careful) and we can kill it quite easily (provided we try).
  • In most cases, symptoms are mild, and young people are at very low risk.
  • People are recovering from it.
  • Hundreds of scientific articles have already been written about it.
  • Vaccine prototypes exist.
  • Dozens of treatments are already being tested

throwback quote from a 1990 little seen Michael Caine flick "Shock To The System" has him as a recently homeless man posing as the CEO. faced with a crisis he gives marching orders to unhinged subordinates:
> "Whoa, let's not all panic - you, you, and you panic; the rest stay calm."

blungld
I hope that a good portion of the alarm leads to actions that prevent the worst case scenarios, but I think downplaying the threat doesn't serve that end. Of course, panic isn't great either.

Unit2Sucks
Yes, essentially I think if we don't take extreme measures, it will spread far and wide and we will see similar if not worse mortality than China. It would be devastating to late middle age and senior citizens in our country. Even with extreme measures it may be too late.

What I think a lot of people are ignoring is that somewhere around 1/3 of American adults have "pre-existing conditions" which portend poorly with this virus. We aren't talking COPD or emphysema, regular old high blood pressure or high cholesterol is a risk factor.

I certainly worry about my parents but even more so I worry about the number of kids in this country who will lose their financial security due to the death of a parent.

EDIT:This doesn't make me feel any better:

smh
BearChemist
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/us/coronavirus-new-hampshire-dartmouth.html

Idiots exist everywhere.
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
Coronavirus will cause more deaths, cancellations and stock market turmoil - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-outbreak-cancelations-deaths-economy-26cd6bbd-f05f-4885-8364-0d9ad1c18b64.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
smh
always relevant in hard times..
> God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
> Courage to change the things I can,
> And wisdom to know the difference

..recollects still living 79 y.o. Sonny Rhodes, and his 2002 Serenity tv series theme song performance. [off topic?? sorry / not sorry]

B.A. Bearacus

B.A. Bearacus
Always thought it was weird that there was no easy way to disinfect iPhones (without damaging the screen).

Quote:

After years of being told we cannotand should notclean our phones with disinfecting wipes, Apple now says you can. My extensive testing over the last few days proves the same.

On Monday, Apple updated its "How to clean your Apple products" website with new wording. Instead of a blanket ban on "cleaning products," the company says it's OK to use a 70% isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox disinfecting wipes on the surface of your Apple products.
smh
stumbled onto this frequently updated / realtime Johns Hopkins page tracking covid-19 stats, globally and by country

for instance in the last hour or so confirmed cases are up several hundred to 113,579, and death total not quite rolled over to 4000. plus a zoomable map to eyeball home base..

> Santa Clara County, CA, US
> Confirmed: 38
> Deaths: 0
> Recovered: 1
> Active: 37

check it out..
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
bearister
Coronavirus and climate change are obvious risks we ignore - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-climate-change-risks-bc81ec96-ca03-4af7-867f-2aac2648b2d5.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Cal88
Unit2Sucks said:

Yes, essentially I think if we don't take extreme measures, it will spread far and wide and we will see similar if not worse mortality than China. It would be devastating to late middle age and senior citizens in our country. Even with extreme measures it may be too late.

What I think a lot of people are ignoring is that somewhere around 1/3 of American adults have "pre-existing conditions" which portend poorly with this virus. We aren't talking COPD or emphysema, regular old high blood pressure or high cholesterol is a risk factor.

I certainly worry about my parents but even more so I worry about the number of kids in this country who will lose their financial security due to the death of a parent.

EDIT:This doesn't make me feel any better:

I was just about to post this, thanks for sharing U2S. Here is a more detailed article about this presentation:

https://www.businessinsider.com/presentation-us-hospitals-preparing-for-millions-of-hospitalizations-2020-3

This is the most relevant point nicely illustrated posted by SMH above about containment, and the need for immediate, very drastic and proactive measures:

Note that in countries like China, healthcare capacity was scaled up with the addition of makeshift wards, we had a 1-2 month lead time that could have made a difference. Hospitals will have to set up dedicated isolated wings for covid19, which might not be easily done. There will as well be a downwards pressure on capacity with hospital staff getting infected at high rates, which is inevitable.

A major related issue here is the treatment of other illnesses during the peak covid19 period.
B.A. Bearacus
The entire country of Italy.

bearister
You have to respect a good yellow journalism headline when you see one (from the Daily Beast):

"New York Prison Labor Makes Hand Sanitizer, Prepares to Dig Graves if Coronvirus Worsens"
B.A. Bearacus
golden sloth said:

It appears I was wrong, kudos to everyone, it's nice to be pleasantly surprised by the level of decorum / humanity / restraint on the internet.
Continued respect for all in keeping political observations in the other thread.
Big C
Meanwhile, on Growls, somebody has posted that Cal is canceling in-class classes through Spring Break.

Go Bears! (But where should the Bears go? Home confinement?)
dimitrig
Big C said:

Meanwhile, on Growls, somebody has posted that Cal is canceling in-class classes through Spring Break.

Go Bears! (But where should the Bears go? Home confinement?)

The Bear's Lair!
Cal88

GBear4Life
i don't know what the appropriate response is form individuals and the government. Any course of action -- either proactive alarm, or encourage a state of calm and business as usual attitude -- has direct and indirect blowback

This is going to get worse before it gets better. How will the markets respond going forward
Yogi02
Cal88 said:

https://i.postimg.cc/MG3b7kxS/image.jpg
LOL. I'm gonna take a sign with me in the car from now on and go 90 every freeway I'm on.
Eastern Oregon Bear
B.A. Bearacus said:

Always thought it was weird that there was no easy way to disinfect iPhones (without damaging the screen).

Quote:

After years of being told we cannotand should notclean our phones with disinfecting wipes, Apple now says you can. My extensive testing over the last few days proves the same.

On Monday, Apple updated its "How to clean your Apple products" website with new wording. Instead of a blanket ban on "cleaning products," the company says it's OK to use a 70% isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox disinfecting wipes on the surface of your Apple products.

Maybe it's best to not let other people breathe or put their paws on your iPhone.
Cal88
That will work, as long as you never, ever touch anything that other people breathed or put their paws on, or if you don't touch anything that you've touched before after touching something other people have touched.
blungld
I can't vouch for the veracity of this tweet thread, but it paints such a clear and scary picture of where we MIGHT be headed, and since still so many Americans are either in total denial or conducting life as usual and poo pooing any warnings that I think it's important to see this "reality."

This shook me up. Are we already as a country too far behind to head this situation off? Is this us in 2-3 weeks? Sure makes me want to stop all public contact.

"Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before."

bearister
Coronavirus: The Case for Canceling Everything - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/
Cal88
Good article, thanks for sharing Bearister.

Quote:

When the influenza epidemic of 1918 infected a quarter of the U.S. population, killing tens of millions of people, seemingly small choices made the difference between life and death.
As the disease was spreading, Wilmer Krusen, Philadelphia's health commissioner, allowed a huge parade to take place on September 28th; some 200,000 people marched. In the following days and weeks, the bodies piled up in the city's morgues. By the end of the season, 12,000 residents had died.

In St. Louis, a public health commissioner named Max Starkloff decided to shut the city down. Ignoring the objections of influential businessmen, he closed the city's schools, bars, cinemas, and sporting events. Thanks to his bold and unpopular actions, the per capita fatality rate in St. Louis was half that of Philadelphia. (In total roughly 1,700 people died from influenza in St Louis.)
In the coming days, thousands of people across the country will face the choice between becoming a Wilmer Krusen or a Max Starkloff.

In the moment, it will seem easier to follow Krusen's example. For a few days, while none of your peers are taking the same steps, moving classes online or canceling campaign events will seem profoundly odd. People are going to get angry. You will be ridiculed as an extremist or an alarmist. But it is still the right thing to do.

Passing along the recommendations from a doctor in FL who is seeing the spike, with his hospital already fully mobilized:

If you are older, have a precondition and a weakened immune system (diabetes, heart condition, recent chemo, transplant etc) or have a parent in that situation, practice extreme caution and social/self isolation for the next month at the very least, avoid flying, public transit, shopping, having larger social gatherings or going out to crowded or semi-crowded spaces. Stay home for St Paddys. Avoid these things like the plague, because that's what it literally is, with your survival odds actually in the range of a russian roulette spin for those older or with preconditions...

By the next month, the public awareness level and mindsets are going to change drastically and most people will have acknowledged the seriousness of this situation, social distancing will be the norm. So the next week or two are a critical window, with idiots like Dr Drew and that real estate developer in the WH telling the public that "it's just a flu".

According to this FL ER doctor, the actual number of CV cases in the US is already well in the thousands and growing exponentially, because the numbers being reported are only those who are being treated for severe symptoms and are confirmed with CV, which is very low because they don't have many tests available (two weeks away from getting them in large enough numbers). The numbers currently reported are not even the tip of the iceberg, more like the snowcap on top of the tip of the iceberg... The great majority of these CV carriers have no or few symptoms, but are shedding the virus in the public sphere.
Unit2Sucks

Michael Leavitt, the former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:

Quote:

"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after a pandemic will seem inadequate. This is the dilemma we face, but it should not stop us from doing what we can to prepare."

smh
too political?? but, hey, it's british for goodness sake. err, um, meant to say

TESTING (fail'd)

bearister
Rob and Laura Petrie are making the best of the lockdown of New Rochelle:

Cal88
Reports from healthcare workers in Italy:

Doctors in northern Italy are already having to decide who gets to live or die, faced with a crush of new patients and a shortage of ventilators. This is taking place in what is recognized as one of the best region in one of the best healthcare systems in Europe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.