Official BI apolitical COVID-19 Thread

96,057 Views | 980 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, now WHO is saying aysmptomatic people rarely spread COVID. If true - *** took so long. If not true - WHO will erode any remaining credibility they may have.

Quote:

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren't driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn't have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it's being transmitted.

"From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual," Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency's Geneva headquarters. "It's very rare."

It's unfortunate that the only research we seem to be doing in the US is for new drug therapies and vaccines (presumably because $$$). Where is the CDC on this stuff?

If we can reduce our concerns about asymptomatic patients, it would make responsibly opening schools and other places much safer in the fall.
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

Ok, now WHO is saying aysmptomatic people rarely spread COVID. If true - *** took so long. If not true - WHO will erode any remaining credibility they may have.

Quote:

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren't driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn't have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it's being transmitted.

"From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual," Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency's Geneva headquarters. "It's very rare."

It's unfortunate that the only research we seem to be doing in the US is for new drug therapies and vaccines (presumably because $$$). Where is the CDC on this stuff?

If we can reduce our concerns about asymptomatic patients, it would make responsibly opening schools and other places much safer in the fall.

Maybe. What's asymptomatic? No fever? No cough? No headache? All of the above?
BearlyCareAnymore
Unit2Sucks said:

Quote:

This is something that some other studies were indicating based on contact tracing. I think "rare" is an overstatement, but a large majority of cases are transmitted by symptomatic people.
bearister
My man man, Hendrik Streeck:

* Hendrik Streeck - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrik_Streeck
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrik_Streeck
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
smh
thanks bearister.

cut and pasted heart of the beast for bears may be blocked from nytimes..

> When epidemiologists said they expect to do these activities in their personal lives, assuming the pandemic and response unfold as they expect..

Might start doing soon.. (smh: not yet??)
------
Bring in mail without precautions
See a doctor for a non-urgent appointment
Vacation overnight within driving distance
Get a haircut at a salon or barber shop

Sometime in the next 12 months. [with much overlap from earlier category]
--------
Attend a small dinner party
Hike or picnic outdoors with friends
Send kids to school, camp or day care
Work in a shared office
Send children on play dates
Ride a subway or a bus
Visit elderly relative or friend in their home
Travel by airplane
Eat at a dine-in restaurant
Exercise at a gym or fitness studio

Maybe a year or more
--------
Attend a wedding or funeral
Hug or shake hands when greeting a friend
Go out with someone you don't know well
Attend a church or other religious service
Stop routinely wearing a face covering
Attend a sporting event, concert or play [uhh-ohhh]

muting 301 handles, turnaround is fair play
smh
Unit2Sucks said:

as a wild shot in the dark Dr. Robert Redfield (appointed Wed March 21 '18 by you know who) has survived so exceptionally long by knowing better than doing or saying anything not yet ordered by WH staff.
B.A. Bearacus
"The W.H.O. walked back an earlier assertion that asymptomatic transmission is 'very rare.'"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/world/coronavirus-updates.html
Unit2Sucks
B.A. Bearacus said:

"The W.H.O. walked back an earlier assertion that asymptomatic transmission is 'very rare.'"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/world/coronavirus-updates.html
It's remarkable that this many months in, they still haven't figured out how important public communications are.

Maybe they will walk back their walk back after more research.
bearister
Can a cold give you coronavirus immunity?

https://mol.im/a/8412807
Yogi38
I'm actually days away from finding out whether I have any antibodies in my system as a result of donating blood.
"Yogi is right" - Oaktown Bear
bearister

Patrons enjoy the 200-foot dive on the SheiKra roller coaster at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, owned by SeaWorld

Krugman Is A Moron
bearister said:

When 511 Epidemiologists Expect to Fly, Hug and Do 18 Other Everyday Activities Again - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/08/upshot/when-epidemiologists-will-do-everyday-things-coronavirus.html
Update for 511 Epidemiologists.

6/11 - The greatest haircut in my entire life
6/12 - Favorite Mexican restaurant is able to have people dine indoors again

To quote the late great Pete Franklin, "Up yours, Gavin Newsom! Up yours! Where the sun don't shine!"

I recommend that anybody still supporting this lockdown in June 2020 watch the South Park SARS episode
https://southpark.fandom.com/wiki/S.A.R.S.
Unit2Sucks
Apparently Dexamethasone has been used to great success in the UK and has been shown to lower the death rate by up to 1/3 in the most severely ill patients. This is a widely available generic steroid and if it can be determined that it really works as has been reported, it could go a long way to giving people more comfort that they can fully participate in society. A 1/3 reduction in deaths is a massive improvement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-steroid/scientists-hail-dexamethasone-as-major-breakthrough-in-treating-covid-19-idUSKBN23N1VP

Quote:

LONDON (Reuters) - Dexamethasone, a cheap and widely used steroid, has become the first drug shown to be able to save lives among COVID-19 patients in what scientists hailed as a "major breakthrough".

Results of trials announced on Tuesday showed dexamethasone, which is used to reduce inflammation in other diseases, reduced death rates by around a third among the most severely ill COVID-19 patients admitted to hospital.

The results suggest the drug should immediately become standard care in patients with severe cases of the pandemic disease, said the researchers who led the trials.

"This is a result that shows that if patients who have COVID-19 and are on ventilators or are on oxygen are given dexamethasone, it will save lives, and it will do so at a remarkably low cost," said Martin Landray, an Oxford University professor co-leading the trial, known as the RECOVERY trial.

sluggo
Unit2Sucks said:

Apparently Dexamethasone has been used to great success in the UK and has been shown to lower the death rate by up to 1/3 in the most severely ill patients. This is a widely available generic steroid and if it can be determined that it really works as has been reported, it could go a long way to giving people more comfort that they can fully participate in society. A 1/3 reduction in deaths is a massive improvement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-steroid/scientists-hail-dexamethasone-as-major-breakthrough-in-treating-covid-19-idUSKBN23N1VP
Great news, but I don't think this result will have a major impact on behavior. The death rate of those on ventilators went from 40% to 28% and from those on oxygen from 25% to 20%. What we need to change behavior is drugs so that patients who get sick don't drop into those two categories. They are coming, I think and hope.

Sluggo
Unit2Sucks
sluggo said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Great news, but I don't think this result will have a major impact on behavior. The death rate of those on ventilators went from 40% to 28% and from those on oxygen from 25% to 20%. What we need to change behavior is drugs so that patients who get sick don't drop into those two categories. They are coming, I think and hope.

Sluggo

Yup this is one piece of the puzzle. Newer treatment protocols already have reduced reliance on vents and as people continue to test protocols and treatments around the world there is hope for continued progress.

I wouldn't take this news in and of itself to be sufficient to relax any social distancing measures.
Oski87
sluggo said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Sluggo
Have any of the docs on here heard about the blood filter from ExThera - the Seraph blood filter? Apparently eliminates COVID and other virus, bacteria, and mold from blood to reduce the viral load and reduce the number of the really ugly impacts of the virus - the strokes, organ failure, lung failure, blood pressure spikes, etc. This is a bay area company, and the filter has been approved for use with COVID. You run it through a standard blood pump.

Of the first initial foray into COVID with 24 folks on respirators, there was a 74% survival rate, which is significantly higher than without. It seems like this along with an antiviral should be a one / two punch to solve the high death rate. This was developed to deal with blood-borne infections.
sluggo
Oski87 said:

sluggo said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Sluggo
Have any of the docs on here heard about the blood filter from ExThera - the Seraph blood filter? Apparently eliminates COVID and other virus, bacteria, and mold from blood to reduce the viral load and reduce the number of the really ugly impacts of the virus - the strokes, organ failure, lung failure, blood pressure spikes, etc. This is a bay area company, and the filter has been approved for use with COVID. You run it through a standard blood pump.

Of the first initial foray into COVID with 24 folks on respirators, there was a 74% survival rate, which is significantly higher than without. It seems like this along with an antiviral should be a one / two punch to solve the high death rate. This was developed to deal with blood-borne infections.
I am not a doc, just a scientist. Never heard of this before but saw that the Department of Defense is funding a clinical trial to study this. So we will see if it actually helps.

Sluggo
B.A. Bearacus
Good episode of Fresh Air (link below) with this infectious disease expert:

Quote:

Dr. Michael Osterholm is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, and the founding director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota. An internationally renowned epidemiologist, he has been at the forefront of public health preparedness, has led many outbreak investigations of international importance, and advises world leaders on the ever-growing list of microbial threats.
Nothing too ground breaking, but he's a straight shooter who knows the subject matter he's talking about and isn't afraid to say "we don't know yet" if there's not enough data. A good listen for your next hike.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/fresh-air/id214089682?i=1000478382456
Unit2Sucks
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

I think the US government has decided that the risks are mostly to older Americans and it is something we can live with. I wonder how those older Americans feel. They should let us know at the polls in November.

Unit2Sucks
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I think the US government has decided that the risks are mostly to older Americans and it is something we can live with. I wonder how those older Americans feel. They should let us know at the polls in November.

The worst part isn't that we've given up, it's that we think we are winning.
BearChemist
Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Trump will say it today in 'Tusla.'
Krugman Is A Moron
Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Survival rate at approximately 95% of all infections and rising.
Yogi38
Unit2Sucks said:

Number of cases is an irrelevant measure without context. And you've provided zero.
bearister
COVID 19 Risk Calculator

https://abc7news.com/health/salons-to-dinner-parties-experts-rate-the-risk-of-12-activities/6254149/
offshorebear
Matthew Patel said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Survival rate for under 70 is now estimated at 99.96%.

Asymptomatic rate is over 45% for that demo.
bearister
The coronavirus is taking a psychological toll on all of us - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-psychological-toll-c8a95d99-d87e-4073-8f89-fd70c1edc501.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Yogi38
offshorebear said:

Matthew Patel said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Survival rate for under 70 is now estimated at 99.96%.

Asymptomatic rate is over 95% for that demo.
Link? This would be great news.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they used a logarithmic graph.
Unit2Sucks
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if they used a logarithmic graph.
Don't worry there is someone else here who likes to use log graphs to make very different outcomes look "about the same".
bearister
Coronavirus 'has withered from an aggressive tiger to a wild cat'

https://mol.im/a/8444151
bearister
The Robinhood effect: How retail investors are beating the pros at their own game - Axios

https://www.axios.com/robinhood-effect-young-investors-c4acb5e8-ecc3-4d0d-a193-d125fdf075e4.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
smh
> How retail investors are beating the pros at their own game

a-ha ha ha. only scratch scored playing the market ends up in brokers deep pockets,
chasing something for nothing is for suckers # allegedly
"buy stocks whenever prices fall" ---> Catch A Falling Knife; bandages not included

the late high holy legen-dary john bogle rocked Big Time [catch phrase swiped from cybears]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Bogle
smh
saturday's guardian: Global coronavirus report: WHO warns of 'new and dangerous phase'
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/20/global-coronavirus-report-brazil-passes-1-million-infections-as-asymptomatic-cases-surface-in-new-zealand
Quote:

The coronavirus pandemic is accelerating, and the world has entered "a new and dangerous phase" in its spread, as daily infections rise above 150,000, the World Health Organization's director has warned this week.

Nearly half the new cases are in the Americas, with the US and Brazil between them accounting for more than a third of total infections and deaths. Brazil reached the grim milestone of 1 million coronavirus cases on Friday.

Meanwhile other countries that appeared to have the virus under control, from South Korea to Germany, have reported fresh outbreaks or rising case numbers, raising fears of a second wave of infections.

Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it was vital that the economic and social pressure to drop restrictions did not give the pandemic room to flourish.. .. ..
soo, not incredibly great

bearister
Study: Coronavirus risks lower than we think

https://www.mercurynews.com/whats-your-risk-from-coronavirus-new-study-suggests-lower-than-we-perceive
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/22/whats-your-risk-from-coronavirus-new-study-suggests-lower-than-we-perceive/amp/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.