Official BI apolitical COVID-19 Thread

94,482 Views | 980 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

Do you really think the Republicans are any different than when their leaders said this in 2010?

" Here's John Boehner offering his plans for Obama's agenda: "We're going to do everything and I mean everything we can do to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." Politico, 10/28/2010

Why I detest the Republican Party as a vile scourge upon our society.
concordtom
82gradDLSdad said:

concordtom said:

Go back to bed.
It's too early for you to be up.
Besides, you might have a wet dream and think of that pun before bearister does.

I'm on a 'bad' sleep schedule. Fall asleep at 8:30 up at 3:30-4. Sometimes up even earlier. Think I'm going through menopause.

Me, too.
concordtom
bearister said:

I already heard of it.
A mom I know, her son drove 2 hours to join thanksgiving dinner, after the meal says, "there's a spot on my tongue where I can't taste."

Next morning, entire tongue is out.

All guests panicking.
BearNIt
Yesterday, the country reported 205,557 new confirmed cases and 1,404 deaths. If this keeps going on we could have 400,000 - 500,000 deaths by 1/20/21. Wear your freaking mask and keep your distance. We don't have enough healthcare workers to keep up with the present rate of infection. The stupidity of people who refuse to heed this warning put my colleagues, me, and my family at risk.
concordtom
I just read an article about Eric Clapton joining Van Morrison in writing anti-lockdown protest songs.
Fine for them to socially distant on a big stage, while the masses cram together at their feet.
BearNIt
concordtom said:

I just read an article about Eric Clapton joining Van Morrison in writing anti-lockdown protest songs.
Fine for them to socially distant on a big stage, while the masses cram together at their feet.
Those two should be careful given their ages and the Rock n Roll lifestyle they led over their lifetimes. They're an infection away from being on a ventilator. Dumbasses!
concordtom
BearNIt said:

Yesterday, the country reported 205,557 new confirmed cases and 1,404 deaths. If this keeps going on we could have 400,000 - 500,000 deaths by 1/20/21. Wear your freaking mask and keep your distance. We don't have enough healthcare workers to keep up with the present rate of infection. The stupidity of people who refuse to heed this warning put my colleagues, me, and my family at risk.

1. Distribute masks widely, freely.
2. Install hand washing stations outside of all stores, restaurants, office buildings, public transportation.

Those are two leadership things Trump could have done at the get go to create a mindset that we are all in this together.
Easy.
He failed.
BearNIt
concordtom said:

BearNIt said:

2. Install hand washing stations outside of all stores, restaurants, office buildings, public transportation.

Those are two leadership things Trump could have done at the get go to create a mindset that we are all in this together.
Easy.
He failed.
Miserably, just ask the families of the 265,000 Americans that have died.
concordtom
BearNIt said:

concordtom said:

BearNIt said:

Easy.
He failed.

The number was never going to be zero, or even 10,000.

But we are going g to cross 300,000 by year's end with the virus spread bigger than ever.

He did NOTHING but sew a non-plan for the future. Planted seeds. Will be hard for Biden to correct course.

No doubt Republicans will try to pin all post Jan 20 deaths on Biden one year from now.
Trump will declare "more people died under Biden than under me! Trump2024. MAGA!"
bearister
What you need to know if you're getting tested for Covid-19 before seeing family

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/29/getting-tested-for-covid-19-need-to-know?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
concordtom said:

BearNIt said:

concordtom said:

BearNIt said:

Easy.
He failed.

The number was never going to be zero, or even 10,000.

But we are going g to cross 300,000 by year's end with the virus spread bigger than ever.

He did NOTHING but sew a non-plan for the future. Planted seeds. Will be hard for Biden to correct course.

No doubt Republicans will try to pin all post Jan 20 deaths on Biden one year from now.
Trump will declare "more people died under Biden than under me! Trump2024. MAGA!"

Setting the bar REALLY HIGH for the US, we could've maybe had about as many deaths per capita as Germany, which, for us, would be about 75,000.

However, given the nation that we are at this point in our history, that is probably more than we were capable of. But it was entirely within reason that we could've done as well as Gernany/UK/France/Italy/Spain combined, which would put us at about 190,000 deaths. (Easy to argue that we could've beaten that, but I'm just staying conservative with this.)

So, even with the bar set fairly low, I figure at least 75,000 American deaths so far can be chalked up to incompetent leadership. And that's going to go up to around 100,000 (or more) as we struggle to get through the next two months. Shameful.
bearister
...well, behind the scenes tRump is pushing to bring back the firing squad for federal executions. How ironic would that be?
Perhaps tRump and Jared can be seated side by side like in the final scene of Breaker Morant. I bet those two would be screamers.

concordtom
Please, allow me the honors.
okaydo

bearister
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
bearister said:

okaydo said:

When I need sh@it from Leigh Steinberg, I'll squeeze his head. The snake comes out of his hole.

I am revisiting this entire thread to find stuff like this. I'm glad I didn't misjudge this guy.
bearister
From March 24:

bearister said:

Finally an article touching on a topic I have been talking about for awhile: the possibility that many in the Bay Area have had a mild form of the virus and figured they just had a cold. Experts say the cruise ship passenger that died in Placer County contracted it in the community in Late January or early February. This topic is not helpful because it would alleviate the fear to shelter in place....and that fear is helping keep our community safe.

Have I already had coronavirus? How would I know and what should I do?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/23/have-i-already-had-covid19-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I remember getting dumped on hard when in another post back in March I said my wife and I were pretty sure we had Covid in early February. The consensus at the time was: not possible.

How did Covid REALLY spread around the world?

https://mol.im/a/9009297
Kaworu
bearister said:

From March 24:

bearister said:

Finally an article touching on a topic I have been talking about for awhile: the possibility that many in the Bay Area have had a mild form of the virus and figured they just had a cold. Experts say the cruise ship passenger that died in Placer County contracted it in the community in Late January or early February. This topic is not helpful because it would alleviate the fear to shelter in place....and that fear is helping keep our community safe.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/23/have-i-already-had-covid19-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
I remember getting dumped on hard when in another post back in March I said my wife and I were pretty sure we had Covid in early February. The consensus at the time was: not possible.
I strongly doubt you had COVID. Go get tested for antibodies. You get it free if you donate blood.
hanky1
bearister said:

bearister said:

okaydo said:

When I need sh@it from Leigh Steinberg, I'll squeeze his head. The snake comes out of his hole.

I am revisiting this entire thread to find stuff like this. I'm glad I didn't misjudge this guy.

He's 100% correct.

The problem is, the people who have succumbed to hysteria are too far in to admit the logically fallacy of their hysteria.
AunBear89
hanky1 said:

. <snip> The problem is, the people who have succumbed to hysteria are too far in to admit the logically fallacy of their hysteria.

That is the perfect description of MAGAts and Trumpkin Evangelicals.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
hanky1
AunBear89 said:

hanky1 said:

. <snip> The problem is, the people who have succumbed to hysteria are too far in to admit the logically fallacy of their hysteria.

I agree. People on the left and right are pretty much the same, just too dumb to realize it.
Big C
hanky1 said:

AunBear89 said:

hanky1 said:

I agree. People on the left and right are pretty much the same, just too dumb to realize it.

If aliens somehow stumble onto this board, they will agree too.
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

hanky1 said:

AunBear89 said:

hanky1 said:

The only bigger dumbasses than those on the left and the right are those in the middle
bearister
bearister
Kaworu said:

bearister said:

From March 24:

bearister said:

I strongly doubt you had COVID. Go get tested for antibodies. You get it free if you donate blood.

During my physical in June, my John Muir System doctor said I probably did have it but that the antibody test wasn't that reliable (at least at that time). Why bother in light of the debate that it either doesn't make you immune or if it does, the benefit doesn't last long. My gym was full of international travelers. I'm sure the weight room was a Petrie dish. Most people just don't get that sick, but it is tantamount to genocide to the obese and infirm....and healthcare workers are totally screwed.
dimitrig
bearister said:

At work we had a high for cases in a week this week (3). Apparently people just couldn't stay home for Thanksgiving. We also had a few close scares where people were exposed but have not tested positive - at least not yet. We also had our second death over the holiday weekend. So anecdotally the data appears to be matching reality.

Kaworu
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

At work we had a high for cases in a week this week (3). Apparently people just couldn't stay home for Thanksgiving. We also had a few close scares where people were exposed but have not tested positive - at least not yet. We also had our second death over the holiday weekend. So anecdotally the data appears to be matching reality.
We had zero cases for Thanksgiving.
bearister

Coronavirus hospitalizations top 100,000 for the first time - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-hospitalizations-pandemic-cases-1ce7ea5e-15a6-43d2-addd-92cb5eee534f.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Kaworu
AunBear89 said:

hanky1 said:

Kaworu
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

hanky1 said:

AunBear89 said:

hanky1 said:

The only bigger dumbasses than those on the left and the right are those in the middle
The only bigger dumbasses than those who voted for Trump are those who tell people to cancel Thanksgiving because of COVID.

Wait, that's the same thing as those on the left.

So I guess the left is dumber than the right.
B.A. Bearacus
Enjoyable read about the journey of the Pfizer vaccine, which as you know, was just approved in the US.

hanky1
B.A. Bearacus said:

Enjoyable read about the journey of the Pfizer vaccine, which as you know, was just approved in the US.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-pfizer-delivered-a-covid-vaccine-in-record-time-crazy-deadlines-a-pushy-ceo-11607740483
Great job by Pfizer and Donald Trump!
B.A. Bearacus
Two words that do not appear a single time in that article:

1. Trump
2. Hydroxychloroquine
Big C
hanky1 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-pfizer-delivered-a-covid-vaccine-in-record-time-crazy-deadlines-a-pushy-ceo-11607740483
Great job by Pfizer and Donald Trump!

Between his visionary early ban on people from China coming in to the US and his personal discovery and development of the mRNA virus for Pfizer and Moderna, we have President Trump to thank for our great nation being #1 in the world* in the battle against the kung flu!

* no. 1 in terms of cases and fatalities, but still... the nation is forever grateful, mr. president

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.