Official BI apolitical COVID-19 Thread

94,735 Views | 980 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Hoping this works well...

I've never been tested for COVID-19, but everything I've read says the swab has to reach deep into your nasal passages and it's uncomfortable. How likely is it that people at home will get a good sample?

I've had a covid test and the swabbing was barely noticeable.
That's good to know. Thanks for setting me straight on that.
I'll set you crooked. My wife had a test at Kaiser. She came back and said she had no idea what people were complaining about that it was nothing. I then had a test at Kaiser. It felt like I was a dead pharaoh having my brain spooned out through my nose.

I think it depends on who is administering it.
Eastern Oregon Bear
OaktownBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

I've never been tested for COVID-19, but everything I've read says the swab has to reach deep into your nasal passages and it's uncomfortable. How likely is it that people at home will get a good sample?

I'll set you crooked. My wife had a test at Kaiser. She came back and said she had no idea what people were complaining about that it was nothing. I then had a test at Kaiser. It felt like I was a dead pharaoh having my brain spooned out through my nose.

I guess I'll just keep hoping I have no reason to have a COVID-19 test and if I do, I'll hope my medical insurance lets me have an expert do the testing.
bearister

*We can hardly wait to welcome our collection basket donating parishioners back to the warm embrace of the flock...AFTER YOU PUT YOUR JOHN HANCOCK ON THE COVID 19 WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY (which will include a release for negligence, naturally).

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
hanky1
bearister
I hope these types of protests take off in a HUGE way in the Red states so that a bit down the road we can greatly reduce the number of people suckling from the teat of California's contribution to the GNP.
BearlyCareAnymore
bearister said:

I hope these types of protests take off in a HUGE way in the Red states so that a bit down the road we can greatly reduce the number of people suckling from the teat of California's contribution to the GNP.
Pretty soon there is going to be nobody left in the Dakotas but a few Democratic hermits, so that is 4 senates seats and a handful of electoral college votes right there.
AunBear89
bearister said:

Yes. Lots of Red State protests with unmasked, morbidly obese, possibly diabetic, and generally unhealthy MAGAts crammed in to small spaces. All of them screaming at the top of their voices about freedom. What could possibly go wrong?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
FuzzyWuzzy
bearister said:

*We can hardly wait to welcome our collection basket donating parishioners back to the warm embrace of the flock...AFTER YOU PUT YOUR JOHN HANCOCK ON THE COVID 19 WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY (which will include a release for negligence, naturally).

Do churches and synagogues make money from funerals/memorial services? Honest question.
FuzzyWuzzy
OaktownBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

This is not in reply to OTB but to all who are wondering about self-administered nasal swab tests. I wouldn't call them "comfortable" but they're not too bad. The test was at a CVS pharmacy with a "drive-thru," like the old drive-thru bank tellers with the vacuum tube thing. They give you a bag with all the testing stuff then the nurse/technician (who is behind her window with an intercom mic) directs you what to do. The short is that you get a nasal swab with a mark (about 1.5"?) on it. You hold the swab at that mark and the rest of it has to go up your nose. You rotate it around and hold it there for I think it was 15 or 30 seconds while the nurse/technician watches you to make sure you are doing it correctly. Then you pull it out, break the swab stick (it has a notch for that purpose) and put the money end in a screw-top plastic test tube. Worse than a vaccination in the arm, but no worse than one of those devices that squirts water up your nose or swimming upside down and getting water up your nose. Definitely no worse than a prostrate exam! Man up! Gotta make an appointment to do this, and bring some purell to sanitize hands afterward. They said results in 3-10 days but mine came in 2 days. I did this before visiting my parents. Self-quarantined for two days, got results, then drove to visit them.
bearister
In The Church marble orcharding a parishioner is not a money maker. It is customary to grease the palm of the good padre presiding to the tune of $150 to $300. They probably get stiffed a lot. No passing of the basket at the service.
82gradDLSdad
OaktownBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

That's interesting. My test was at Kaiser too. And I had seen videos of those swabs going in about 6feet. I was anxious but mine turned out to be a non event.
82gradDLSdad
FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

This is not in reply to OTB but to all who are wondering about self-administered nasal swab tests. I wouldn't call them "comfortable" but they're not too bad. The test was at a CVS pharmacy with a "drive-thru," like the old drive-thru bank tellers with the vacuum tube thing. They give you a bag with all the testing stuff then the nurse/technician (who is behind her window with an intercom mic) directs you what to do. The short is that you get a nasal swab with a mark (about 1.5"?) on it. You hold the swab at that mark and the rest of it has to go up your nose. You rotate it around and hold it there for I think it was 15 or 30 seconds while the nurse/technician watches you to make sure you are doing it correctly. Then you pull it out, break the swab stick (it has a notch for that purpose) and put the money end in a screw-top plastic test tube. Worse than a vaccination in the arm, but no worse than one of those devices that squirts water up your nose or swimming upside down and getting water up your nose. Definitely no worse than a prostrate exam! Man up! Gotta make an appointment to do this, and bring some purell to sanitize hands afterward. They said results in 3-10 days but mine came in 2 days. I did this before visiting my parents. Self-quarantined for two days, got results, then drove to visit them.

Uh....,I had a sneak prostate exam once (didn't know it was coming) and it was much worse than my covid exam. And I knew the covid exam was coming.
dimitrig
82gradDLSdad said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Uh....,I had a sneak prostate exam once (didn't know it was coming) and it was much worse than my covid exam. And I knew the covid exam was coming.

Did you go to Penn State? (sorry, sorry)
82gradDLSdad
dimitrig said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Did you go to Penn State? (sorry, sorry)

That's funny. I was laying in a Kaiser emergency room with testicle pain. The doc was behind me and the last words I heard were, "You've probably had one of these...". And then their was the quick thrust. When it was over I said, "No, never had one of those. I would have remembered. BTW, what are those called?". Never had one since. That was 30 years ago.
bearister
Steven Mnuchin acts to hobble the Fed's coronavirus powers - Axios

https://www.axios.com/mnuchin-federal-reserve-treasury-coronavirus-lending-4db64258-5699-456f-81e6-320bd950638f.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

"Well now Mr. Mnuchin, what'ya suppose hell's gonna look like?"

B.A. Bearacus
Ridiculously high positives in these states.

Big C
82gradDLSdad said:

OaktownBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

That's interesting. My test was at Kaiser too. And I had seen videos of those swabs going in about 6feet. I was anxious but mine turned out to be a non event.

Two different tests. One is "deep swab"; one is "shallow swab". Any kind they let you do yourself is a shallow swab, because nobody is going to want to go deep enough, on their own. The deep swab goes something like 4" in, maybe more. (OTB's wife could've had the deep swab, but administered very, very expertly.)

Places that administer the tests use whatever they have available, so it's not always the same, but it takes a well-trained person to administer the deep, so a place like CVS usually does the shallow.

The deep swab seems unpleasant enough to me to the point where I wouldn't get one unless I needed to. I'm afraid I would jerk my head or jump up or something and the swab would break off inside me, blah blah blah...
Big C
B.A. Bearacus said:

Ridiculously high positives in these states.

Purely a coincidence, I'm sure, that those are all "personal freedom" states.
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

OaktownBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Two different tests. One is "deep swab"; one is "shallow swab". Any kind they let you do yourself is a shallow swab, because nobody is going to want to go deep enough, on their own. The deep swab goes something like 4" in, maybe more. (OTB's wife could've had the deep swab, but administered very, very expertly.)

Places that administer the tests use whatever they have available, so it's not always the same, but it takes a well-trained person to administer the deep, so a place like CVS usually does the shallow.

The deep swab seems unpleasant enough to me to the point where I wouldn't get one unless I needed to. I'm afraid I would jerk my head or jump up or something and the swab would break off inside me, blah blah blah...

"Deep swab"... there's a naval/sexual joke there that I expect Bearister to post any second.
concordtom
Go back to bed.
It's too early for you to be up.
Besides, you might have a wet dream and think of that pun before bearister does.
concordtom
bearister said:

https://www.axios.com/mnuchin-federal-reserve-treasury-coronavirus-lending-4db64258-5699-456f-81e6-320bd950638f.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

Seems to me the current regime of Republican leadership wants nothing more than for the Biden administration to fail, the economy to fail, the Democrats to fail, merely so suffering Americans vote republican next time.

It's a trick tgat may work, since most voters are stupid.
bearister
The vast majority of Americans did not have COVID antibodies as of September - Axios

https://www.axios.com/americans-coronavirus-antibodies-e860720f-2bba-4065-8e62-38b75149080f.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Kaworu
bearister said:

The vast majority of Americans did not have COVID antibodies as of September - Axios

https://www.axios.com/americans-coronavirus-antibodies-e860720f-2bba-4065-8e62-38b75149080f.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
That doesn't surprise me. The majority of Americans have changed the way they live their lives drastically to avoid catching it.
Eastern Oregon Bear
concordtom said:

bearister said:

Seems to me the current regime of Republican leadership wants nothing more than for the Biden administration to fail, the economy to fail, the Democrats to fail, merely so suffering Americans vote republican next time.

That's pretty much how the GOP dealt with the Obama presidency.
Kaworu
concordtom said:

bearister said:

This is a revelation?

They actually don't want the entire economy to fail, just the part of it that doesn't benefit their donors.
concordtom
Kaworu said:

bearister said:

That doesn't surprise me. The majority of Americans have changed the way they live their lives drastically to avoid catching it.

Much to Trump's chagrin.
concordtom

concordtom said:

bearister said:

That's pretty much how the GOP dealt with the Obama presidency.

Yeah, and I now get who they are, and I reject and resist this tactic as a means to gain political power.
concordtom
Kaworu said:

concordtom said:

bearister said:

This is a revelation?

They actually don't want the entire economy to fail, just the part of it that doesn't benefit their donors.

Actually, yes it has been a revelation. I grew up Republican, thought them to be good.

But, wait. What is this? Has someone hacked your account? How could I have read this polar posts from you recently???
Could it be that there are indeed some things we can agree on??
A festivus miracle!!
bearister
Do you really think the Republicans are any different than when their leaders said this in 2010?

" Here's John Boehner offering his plans for Obama's agenda: "We're going to do everything and I mean everything we can do to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can."

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." Politico, 10/28/2010
oski003
Isnt this thread titled the official apolitical BI covid thread? shame that we are getting political in this thread.
82gradDLSdad
concordtom said:

Go back to bed.
Besides, you might have a wet dream and think of that pun before bearister does.

I'm on a 'bad' sleep schedule. Fall asleep at 8:30 up at 3:30-4. Sometimes up even earlier. Think I'm going through menopause.
Eastern Oregon Bear
82gradDLSdad said:

concordtom said:

Go back to bed.

I'm on a 'bad' sleep schedule. Fall asleep at 8:30 up at 3:30-4. Sometimes up even earlier. Think I'm going through menopause.
If women go through menopause, shouldn't you be going through womenopause?
bearister
oski003 said:

Isnt this thread titled the official apolitical BI covid thread? shame that we are getting political in this thread.

The truth and facts are considered offensive political talk to Republicans.
82gradDLSdad

82gradDLSdad said:

concordtom said:

Go back to bed.

If women go through menopause, shouldn't you be going through womenopause?

I was going to post that but thought I'd go for the setup. I'm a point guard at heart.
bearister

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.