Official BI apolitical COVID-19 Thread

94,481 Views | 980 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

Seems like all the counties in CA should do this, at least the ones with densely populated areas.

I have no idea how this works: Who influences or "controls" the various county health departments?

Meanwhile, public schools in Ohio and Maryland are suspending classes. It's amazing how quickly this is all happening.

It is CYA. No one wants to be accused of inaction and so they are taking actions - some maybe more drastic than they need to be.

I am not saying it is all bad, but to me that is the prime motivation: better safe than sorry.

I hope we learn something from this.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
B.A. Bearacus
Yogi03
dimitrig said:

Big C said:

Seems like all the counties in CA should do this, at least the ones with densely populated areas.

I have no idea how this works: Who influences or "controls" the various county health departments?

Meanwhile, public schools in Ohio and Maryland are suspending classes. It's amazing how quickly this is all happening.

It is CYA. No one wants to be accused of inaction and so they are taking actions - some maybe more drastic than they need to be.
Bingo
Yogi03
bearister said:

I have been a gym rat for 50 years. My wife calls my upscale gym The Human Petri Dish. The gym just sent an email regarding all the sanitizing steps they are taking. The email reminded me of all the stiff upper lip statements that came from the sports organizations about keeping the shutters open...just before they pulled the plug on everything. I'm not going near the place. I have to protect my family and my fellow man. Time to improvise workouts at home until we clear containment. The new normal.
Time to start intermittent fasting?
Bobodeluxe
The story directly from the front lines
bearister
BearNIt
bearister said:

That's the thing, I hate it when facts get in the way of a lie
Unit2Sucks
c'mon Bearister - I think you posted that in the wrong thread. Let's keep this thread apolitical.
golden sloth
My SF based adult soccer leagues have been suspended indefinitely. It seems that by Monday, San Francisco will be in self-imposed lockdown.
Bobodeluxe
Problem solved
bearister
Watching tRump COVID 19 pressie. He should just let Dr. Deborah L. Birx speak. She will ratchet down the panic factor exponentially. Intelligence and competency is comforting at a time like this. She is a lovely woman. She was a colonel in the U.S. Army. May God bless her!
bearister
Unit2Sucks said:

c'mon Bearister - I think you posted that in the wrong thread. Let's keep this thread apolitical.

Is it the new normal that undisputed facts are now deemed "political?" There are no more than a handful of contributors here that are offended by the facts.
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Is it the new normal that undisputed facts are now deemed "political?" There are no more than a handful of contributors here that are offended by the facts.
SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW!

There is another thread that would be more appropriate for fact-checking politicians. This thread is intended to be apolitical and is intended to be a differentiated discussion from the politically-tinged one.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

bearister said:

Unit2Sucks said:

SERENITY NOW! SERENITY NOW!

There is another thread that would be more appropriate for fact-checking politicians. This thread is intended to be apolitical and is intended to be a differentiated discussion from the politically-tinged one.
I am certainly not one to shy away from criticism of the current President, but I agree with this. There is another virus-related thread specifically for that topic.
bearister
The virus threads are spreading other virus threads like a virus.
Unit2Sucks
golden sloth said:

My SF based adult soccer leagues have been suspended indefinitely. It seems that by Monday, San Francisco will be in self-imposed lockdown.
There are no mass congregations allowed except at Costco, Safeway or in the hand sanitizer aisle of Walgreens.

For real though, within an hour last night both of my kids' schools shut down effective immediately creating a scramble. They had been messaging that there were no plans to shut down but then all hell broke loose once SFUSD announced closure.

After a lot of hand-wringing we had decided to keep my office open for the time being, but this morning the CDC classified the whole world as level 2 so we made the decision to close all offices effective at the end of the day. My duties involve legal and HR so COVID is taking up much of my professional time while I am also scrambling to get the kids taken care of.

Adding insult to injury, I placed an online order at Costco to supplement my strategic protein bar reserves and they cancelled the order.
Yogi02
bearister said:

The virus threads are spreading other virus threads like a virus.
We must practice Virtual Isolation to minimize this thread pandemic
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

golden sloth said:

There are no mass congregations allowed except at Costco, Safeway or in the hand sanitizer aisle of Walgreens.

For real though, within an hour last night both of my kids' schools shut down effective immediately creating a scramble. They had been messaging that there were no plans to shut down but then all hell broke loose once SFUSD announced closure.

After a lot of hand-wringing we had decided to keep my office open for the time being, but this morning the CDC classified the whole world as level 2 so we made the decision to close all offices effective at the end of the day. My duties involve legal and HR so COVID is taking up much of my professional time while I am also scrambling to get the kids taken care of.

Adding insult to injury, I placed an online order at Costco to supplement my strategic protein bar reserves and they cancelled the order.
Holy crap, I just went to Safeway (the most BI-famous one... near "the" Boston Market). Lines for checkout going almost to the back of the store... bottled water aisle almost completely empty (still don't get that one).

Soon, rolls of toilet paper may become our new currency (don't get that one either).

I left empty-handed. We can live off what we have at home for awhile. The lines are bound to abate sometime soon, right. Right?
sycasey
Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

golden sloth said:

Holy crap, I just went to Safeway (the most BI-famous one... near "the" Boston Market). Lines for checkout going almost to the back of the store... bottled water aisle almost completely empty (still don't get that one).

Soon, rolls of toilet paper may become our new currency (don't get that one either).

I left empty-handed. We can live off what we have at home for awhile. The lines are bound to abate sometime soon, right. Right?
Yeah, people are acting like they're prepping for a tornado or something. There will still be running water and open grocery stores during this period.
golden sloth
sycasey said:

Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

golden sloth said:

Yeah, people are acting like they're prepping for a tornado or something. There will still be running water and open grocery stores during this period.

I also went to Safeway, because I needed some butter, dish soap, and laundry detergent, and I wanted a bell pepper for my eggs tomorrow and some cookies. It was super crowded. Bottled water, was gone and there were two things of toilet paper. I didnt want to get it, but with everyone else being stupid, it forced me to be stupid, so I picked up an 8 pack.

I also had a strong urge to fake a coughing fit while waiting in line, all while not covering my mouth, just to see what happens. But then I thought, these are not rational people right now and you dont poke irrational people.
bearister
Bill Maher: "I haven't washed my hands this much since I murdered that guy."
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
Cruise ships are ideally suited to function as artificial reefs.

B.A. Bearacus
okaydo

bearister
I'm no Lacob fan but Lacob done good.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/warriors/2020/03/13/warriors-pledge-1-million-aid-arena-employees-coronavirus-shutdown/5048568002/
Yogi07
bearister said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/warriors/2020/03/13/warriors-pledge-1-million-aid-arena-employees-coronavirus-shutdown/5048568002/
I find it incredibly interesting that the sports world has responded to this crisis by far in a better way than any other segment of the American population.
bearister
Professor Harry Edwards said:

bearister said:

I find it incredibly interesting that the sports world has responded to this crisis by far in a better way than any other segment of the American population.

It is also noteworthy that the private sector is responding more intelligently to this crisis than the morons running the Federal Government. I am sure the Crime Family will figure out how to get their beaks wet in the billions being released to help the crisis.
okaydo

okaydo
My NextDoor consists of about 19 neighborhoods covers a wide swath, ranging from poor immigrants living in cramped apartments to multimillionaires living in mansions.

Guess who are the people who are really ignorant about the spread of coronavirus?

(I tend to be in the middle, not rich and not poor, but it's interesting about L.A. is -- within the span of 15 minutes -- you can walk by people living in tents and walk by $3 million houses.)
okaydo
Hmmm....

okaydo

Damnit!

bearister
"Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health told Jon Karl on ABC's "This Week" that life could return to normal in "several weeks to a few months."

"Things will get worse before they get better. What we're trying to do is to make sure they don't get to the worst-case scenario. That's what we need to do.
On China: "As they start getting back to normal personal interaction, I hope we don't see the second blip, but it's possible." Axios
bearister
okaydo said:

Damnit!

I wasn't aware there was any other kind.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.