Official BI apolitical COVID-19 Thread

94,738 Views | 980 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
Yogi17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

Opinion | A Plan to Get America Back to Work - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html?referringSource=articleShare

*Is this column pay wall protected..anyone?
Strong article. Like Cal. And Cal Strong. And Wife Strong. And Baby Strong.
chazzed
It doesn't seem to have a paywall. I was able to read it.
smh
bearister said:

Did the dealership throw in the flamethrower in the trunk as a perk?
pale shades of the flame-thrower scene in OnceUponATimeInHollywood.
> "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" stunt coordinator Robert Alonzo says DiCaprio was a little freaked out about using the flamethrower himself and burning up actors on set. Alonzo said he "has a lot of experience with fire-burning" after working as a stunt coordinator for 23 years, so he tried to ease DiCaprio's fears by setting himself ablaze first. Alonzo wanted to show DiCaprio that no one would be harmed by the flamethrower.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
bearister

If the Pudd'in Man gets it too then we know a just God exists.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dimitrig
bearister said:

Big C said:

They could've driven in their Tesla, but it's about a thousand miles, so that would be a major inconvenience for them. (I know. Don't say anything.) Happy 40th birthday!

They are going to need it to kill the zombies!
dimitrig
bearister said:

Opinion | A Plan to Get America Back to Work - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/opinion/coronavirus-economy.html?referringSource=articleShare

*Is this column pay wall protected..anyone?

It wanted me to sign in to read it.
Big C
bearister said:

Big C said:

They could've driven in their Tesla, but it's about a thousand miles, so that would be a major inconvenience for them. (I know. Don't say anything.) Happy 40th birthday!

It sounds crazy, I know. But much of the country is living in a different reality than most of us. Still. Now, I'm no epidemiologist, but I think the coronavirus can probably cross different realities like they were nothing. We shall see.
bearister
The cops should check the ID of all people deliberately flaunting the rules and send the names to the CDC database. When those people show up to a hospital for treatment, cross check name with said CDC file of violators and......

*Clem looks like he took an unopened Fosters beer can to the face before that interview....which probably increased his IQ.
bearister
What is coronavirus and what is the mortality rate?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/what-is-coronavirus-and-what-is-the-mortality-rate?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
B.A. Bearacus

"Scientists who have fought pandemics describe difficult measures needed to defend the United States against a fast-moving pathogen."

Good read from NYT science writer, Donald McNeil:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-restrictions-us.html
FuzzyWuzzy
bearister said:

Big C said:

Didn't you know it comes standard? It's also called the battery
bearister
The coronavirus economy will devastate those who can least afford it - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-economy-layoffs-children-families-bad-d588cc93-ff26-4031-8be8-5654cce05a15.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
bearister
As the economy falters, Trump loses patience with doctors' orders on coronavirus - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-economy-recession-donald-trump-0b5ab109-1a5e-4397-b54b-5f17d802c029.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
okaydo
MSaviolives
bearister said:

The cops should check the ID of all people deliberately flaunting the rules and send the names to the CDC database. When those people show up to a hospital for treatment, cross check name with said CDC file of violators and......

*Clem looks like he took an unopened Fosters beer can to the face before that interview....which probably increased his IQ.
And when a vaccine is developed in quantities sufficient to start vaccinating the community, all anti-vaxxers should be placed at the back of the line.
sycasey
MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

And when a vaccine is developed in quantities sufficient to start vaccinating the community, all anti-vaxxers should be placed at the back of the line.
Hah, I was thinking about that. The anti-vaxxers are going to be in a really tough spot once they create one for coronavirus.
bearister
My wife came up with this reflection this morning:

The outcome of the decision regarding when to flip the switch on letting business proceed again will probably decide the 2020 Election.
golden sloth
How much toilet paper do you need? Well, now there is a website for that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52000039
Cal88
OdontoBear66 said:

Big C said:

Okay, vaccine probably cannot be fast-tracked.

Now, who's the ventilator supply expert around here?
Not here, but isn't GM tooling up to do same? We've gotta have them for the crisis, but I keep wondering what we are going to do with a zillion ventilators after the crisis---no small item are they like test kits? Guess we need to get over our current dilemma and worry about such things later. Insight from China and South Korea would be helpful.

We could get a million ventilators for the price of a couple of B2 bombers, which inflict far greater damage on the US economy than on a potential enemy state. The marginal cost of the 100,000th ventilator has got be in the very low 4 figures.
Cal88
MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

FYI - the flu vaccine increases the risk of contracting coronavirus by 36%, due to vaccine derived virus interference, according to a recent government study.

Quote:

Examining non-influenza viruses specifically, the odds of both coronavirus and human metapneumovirus in vaccinated individuals were significantly higher when compared to unvaccinated individuals (OR?=?1.36 and 1.51, respectively) (Table 5).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31607599

One reason the Bergamo/northern Italy region might have been particularly hard hit with covid19 is that they have implemented extensive flu vaccination programs in that region.
OdontoBear66
Cal88 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Big C said:

Okay, vaccine probably cannot be fast-tracked.

Now, who's the ventilator supply expert around here?
Not here, but isn't GM tooling up to do same? We've gotta have them for the crisis, but I keep wondering what we are going to do with a zillion ventilators after the crisis---no small item are they like test kits? Guess we need to get over our current dilemma and worry about such things later. Insight from China and South Korea would be helpful.

We could get a million ventilators for the price of a couple of B2 bombers, which inflict far greater damage on the US economy than on a potential enemy state. The marginal cost of the 100,000th ventilator has got be in the very low 4 figures.
That would be sweet.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

Hah, I was thinking about that. The anti-vaxxers are going to be in a really tough spot once they create one for coronavirus.
I don't know what's really in the minds of anti-vaxxers, but I thought their concern was specifically about increasing risks to children of developing autism. Given that little kids aren't hit hard by CV, I would think the anti-vaxxers would simply choose not to vaccinate their little kids. Seems like a no-brainer for them considering there are more serious diseases for kids that they don't vaccinate against.

If there are anti-vaxxers who don't vaccinate themselves as adults, then yeah I guess I that's a different scenarios, but I don't think this is much different than normal vaccines.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

I don't know what's really in the minds of anti-vaxxers, but I thought their concern was specifically about increasing risks to children of developing autism. Given that little kids aren't hit hard by CV, I would think the anti-vaxxers would simply choose not to vaccinate their little kids. Seems like a no-brainer for them considering there are more serious diseases for kids that they don't vaccinate against.

If there are anti-vaxxers who don't vaccinate themselves as adults, then yeah I guess I that's a different scenarios, but I don't think this is much different than normal vaccines.
I guess, but then kids who don't get vaccinated grow up to become people who can carry the virus.
GBear4Life
I see homeowners still listing their owner-occupied properties for both private showings and open houses.

The NAR should force-freeze these listings, but hey to Realtors there's never a bad time to buy or sell right
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

I guess, but then kids who don't get vaccinated grow up to become people who can carry the virus.
Not a doctor and not an epidemiologist, but my understanding is that the vaccines we are talking about might give you a year or so of immunity.
Yogi17
sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

Wait until I get to be President David Romer and I pass my legislation saying that unvaccinated people won't be eligible for Social Security, Medicare, and government bailouts. They'll have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

Not a doctor and not an epidemiologist, but my understanding is that the vaccines we are talking about might give you a year or so of immunity.
Hmm, true, there's a lot we don't know about this disease.
Yogi17
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

MSaviolives said:

bearister said:

Not unlike flu vaccines
dimitrig
GBear4Life said:

I see homeowners still listing their owner-occupied properties for both private showings and open houses.

The NAR should force-freeze these listings, but hey to Realtors there's never a bad time to buy or sell right

It's not really a problem for the owners as long as they are willing to stay away from the house for a couple of days since the last showing and/or pay to have it cleaned between showings.
GBear4Life
dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

It's not really a problem for the owners as long as they are willing to stay away from the house for a couple of days since the last showing and/or pay to have it cleaned between showings.

I'm talking about owner occupied listings. They still live there. Who is going to pay to clean it after every showing?
dimitrig
GBear4Life said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

I'm talking about owner occupied listings. They still live there. Who is going to pay to clean it after every showing?

I know you are. I am just talking about how I would handle it. Schedule a showing once per week and hire a cleaning service after each instead of letting anyone come whenever.
GBear4Life
dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

I know you are. I am just talking about how I would handle it. Schedule a showing once per week and hire a cleaning service after each instead of letting anyone come whenever.
Also, I can see the sense of urgency of a seller wanting to sell (for fear their home value will plummet as time goes on), but I don't see the urgency of buyers.
bearister
bearister
going4roses
High density living = not a good look especially now

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.