Illegal Immigration

52,174 Views | 834 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by movielover
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Biden administration is taking this issue very seriously and doing everything they can to address the situation? They led the way for comprehensive immigration legislation to deal with the crisis at the border?
Zippergate
A Democrat who sees the light...

Quite the contrast to the rhetoric seen here on BI.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calbear93
Zippergate said:

A Democrat who sees the light...

Quite the contrast to the rhetoric seen here on BI.
I think hardcore MAGA and hardcore liberals will not decide the election.

Considering how close the 2020 election was in the key states that decided the election and delivered the victory for Biden, the key issue will be whether those never-Trumpers, independents, and suburban soccer moms in swing states who tend to be conservative on certain social issues like crime, safety and immigration and on economy are motivated by abortion and decency, to once again vote for Biden in the same numbers. Biden cannot lose too many of those since those are the ones who carried him to victory by small margin in swing states. Even a large portion of those rather not voting than vote for Biden again would sink Biden's chances. What MAGA does is meaningless.
Zippergate
So the border catastrophe is Trump's fault? LOL Data much? I would expect nothing less from a RINO never-Trumper like him...and you.
calbear93
Zippergate said:

So the border catastrophe is Trump's fault? LOL Data much? I would expect nothing less from a RINO never-Trumper like him...and you.
Did Trump stop Congress from taking reasonable actions two years ago? Last year? Of course not. Why is Congress so desperate to act now and now saying either party is stopping a solution? Clearly just an election tactic on both sides.

But no amount of noise will ever make non-tribalist think illegal immigration will be a negative for the Republicans on election day. That's delusional wishful thinking.
Zippergate
I'm not sure I understand your point. As for me, I have no use for the Uniparty which has been soft on illegal immigration for decades. At the same time, it's abundantly clear, supported by facts, data and endless anecdotes, that the Biden administration and only the Biden administration has made things much, much worse.
calbear93
Zippergate said:

I'm not sure I understand your point. As for me, I have no use for the Uniparty which has been soft on illegal immigration for decades. At the same time, it's abundantly clear, supported by facts, data and endless anecdotes, that the Biden administration and only the Biden administration has made things much, much worse.
I'm more the traditional conservative that is now considered Uniparty, so you and I will not agree on immigration. I support robust legal immigration, and the anti-immigration rhetoric from the MAGA is more reflective of the far left, union-catering, left than the conservative, business friendly conservative viewpoint.

My point is that this argument that the Democrats want to reform immigration and the Republicans, especially Trump, is the reason they have not done so is not going to resonate with voters. The Democrats had ample opportunity to negotiate with the Republicans during the prior three years, but instead they tried to gaslight the public by saying there were no issues. As such, this attempt by Democrats to hang immigration on Trump will be a failed attempt. IF they had shown any willingness to move on this other than to win an election, maybe.

From my perspective, we need to negotiate and reach a compromise, and not only during the election cycle when people are more focused on winning an election than governing. Neither side will get everything they want. But the non-Uniparty thinks that they can just dictate all the terms or take the ball and go home. Not going to work. And so we get stuck year after year. It's not the Uniparty that is making this status quo. It's the true believers who cannot understand the concept of compromise and that their beliefs are not shared by all.
Zippergate
I appreciate your answer and agree with some of it. Where we disagree is your contention that the non-Uniparty is the stumbling block to securing the border. If that were so, it could have happened at any time up until this moment because the Uniparty has enough seats to pass it with or without Obama, Trump, or Biden. Trump made a reasonable attempt at starting to secure the border but it was the Swamp-wing of the Republican party--Uniparty sympathizers--that prevented him from seeing it to fruition.

There should be zero allowance for illegal movement across the border. The border must be secure, for reasons of national security, drugs, human trafficking, fiscal prudence, respect for the law, etc. I don't see how this is the least bit controversial. After that, there are lots of details that can be debated about--who is allowed in, amnesty, DACA, etc--but reducing the flow of illegals to near zero is where it has to start.
oski003
Zippergate said:

I appreciate your answer and agree with some of it. Where we disagree is your contention that the non-Uniparty is the stumbling block to securing the border. If that were so, it could have happened at any time up until this moment because the Uniparty has enough seats to pass it with or without Obama, Trump, or Biden. Trump made a reasonable attempt at starting to secure the border but it was the Swamp-wing of the Republican party--Uniparty sympathizers--that prevented him from seeing it to fruition.

There should be zero allowance for illegal movement across the border. The border must be secure, for reasons of national security, drugs, human trafficking, fiscal prudence, respect for the law, etc. I don't see how this is the least bit controversial. After that, there are lots of details that can be debated about--who is allowed in, amnesty, DACA, etc--but reducing the flow of illegals to near zero is where it has to start.

Isn't it a blurred line between which immigrants are illegal and which are legitimately seeking amnesty, and we simply don't have the resources to determine which is which so we let everyone in?
82gradDLSdad
oski003 said:

Zippergate said:

Isn't it a blurred line between which immigrants are illegal and which are legitimately seeking amnesty, and we simply don't have the resources to determine which is which so we let everyone in?

If we don't have the resources then we let no one in. What the hell. If we can't tell you're a criminal, come on in?????? Or am I misunderstanding your point?
oski003
82gradDLSdad said:

oski003 said:

Zippergate said:

If we don't have the resources then we let no one in. What the hell. If we can't tell you're a criminal, come on in?????? Or am I misunderstanding your point?

I am on board with restricting illegal immigration. I wish we could somehow only provide amnesty to those who apply in advance and meet certain criteria or only to those at the border who are actually from Mexico and in harm.
bearister
Zippergate said:

When someone links an article or a tweet setting forth something you don't agree with, it isn't enough for you to simply reply with your counter position or link to an opposing authority. You frequently tack on a gratuitous personal insult for the person that posted the comment you disagree with.

Why is that? Are you angry? Why?
Zippergate
bearister said:

Zippergate said:

When someone links an article or a tweet setting forth something you don't agree with, it isn't enough for you to simply reply with your counter position or link to an opposing authority. You frequently tack on a gratuitous personal insult for the person that posted the comment you disagree with.

Romney is a RINO never-Trumper whose position on this is ridiculous. If my comment is below the standards of discourse here, then what I am to make of your incessant Trump and MAGA bashing?

If insults are beyond the pale, what am I to make of this?

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/113619/replies/2294099

Perhaps your criticism is fair. I try to take the high road, but there have been times when I have posted remarks that were less charitable than they could have been. But are you in any position to be dealing out such criticisms?
calbear93
bearister said:

Zippergate said:

I like you, Bearister, and find you to be generally funny and one of the more reasonable posters.

However, why is it that people who complain about posts with personal insults always seem to complain about only the conservative posters when the most insulting and trolling posters are never called out by folks like you?

bearister
You guys are big boys. Call out posters that initiate insults against you and I will call out those who initiate them against me.

I have been posting on BI and its predecessor, Cyberbears, pretty much since the day it opened for business. I do not have a reputation for initiating flame wars.

Ask Cal88. He and I differ on most subjects but we treat each other with courtesy and respect….and we enjoy our discourse on subjects we share a common interest in.

My comment that Zippergate linked above where I go off on him was in response to his personal insult.

In response to me calling him for a foul for initiating a personal insult he writes:

"If my comment is below the standards of discourse here, then what I am to make of your incessant Trump and MAGA bashing?"

The only reasonable interpretation of that comment is that he considers "tRump and MAGA bashing" a personal insult of him justifying a personal insult of me.

I have nothing left to say about him after my comment that he linked, which is why in this thread I didn't insult him back, I just asked him why he insults people.

I said all I have to say in the Vaccine thread so no more challenges there. It is also pointless for me to bash tRump anymore because the guy is going to board 85,000,000+ "votes" in 2024 and be the next POTUS…..but I probably can't help myself.

I should just back in my lounge chair and enjoy my tax cut.

OsoDorado
bearister said:

It is also pointless for me to bash tRump anymore because (tRump) is going to board 85,000,000+ "votes" in 2024 and be the next POTUS…..but I probably can't help myself.

You and I have a friendly disagreement about this, but while I'm confident about Trump losing, I admit there's a lot of work to do to make it come true ....

Hope I'm right!
calbear93
bearister said:

You guys are big boys. Call out posters that initiate insults against you and I will call out those who initiate them against me.

I have been posting on BI and its predecessor, Cyberbears, pretty much since the day it opened for business. I do not have a reputation for initiating flame wars.

Ask Cal88. He and I differ on most subjects but we treat each other with courtesy and respect….and we enjoy our discourse on subjects we share a common interest in.

My comment that Zippergate linked above where I go off on him was in response to his personal insult.

In response to me calling him for a foul for initiating a personal insult he writes:

"If my comment is below the standards of discourse here, then what I am to make of your incessant Trump and MAGA bashing?"

The only reasonable interpretation of that comment is that he considers "tRump and MAGA bashing" a personal insult of him justifying a personal insult of me.

I have nothing left to say about him after my comment that he linked, which is why in this thread I didn't insult him back, I just asked him why he insults people.

I said all I have to say in the Vaccine thread so no more challenges there. It is also pointless for me to bash tRump anymore because the guy is going to board 85,000,000+ "votes" in 2024 and be the next POTUS…..but I probably can't help myself.

That's fair. IF you were responding only because he insulted you, that's understandable. However, your statement below seem to be complaining about general behavior when Zippergate is not even on the list of top 10 or 20 posters who flame insults here.

"You frequently tack on a gratuitous personal insult for the person that posted the comment you disagree with.

Why is that? Are you angry? Why?"
bearister
Since he is the one who initiates the insults with me, I made a blanket assumption he draws first blood against everyone. He seems to always be getting into it with somebody.
However, an in-depth analysis of his battles would probably show that he isn't always the one who initiates the insulting.

*The Duellists was better than Napoleon
Zippergate
bearister said:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/113619/replies/2294068
It's hard to take seriously anyone who uses the term insurrection.

That's the whole post, the insult that motivated your screed. You and many others have taken much more derogatory shots at me on the vaccine board for years. But even before this I have been thinking that my posting can come across as overly aggressive and I am trying to tone it down. But it is difficult. With the same passion that you hate Trump and the deplorables, I hate what the radical, authoritarian Left is doing to this country. Words matter. Arguments matter, or at least they should. It feels like we've moved past arguments in good faith to rabid partisanship. The nation is horribly divided and that is reflected on this board. This is going to be a nasty year and many people are going to be very upset. I wish it weren't so.

dajo9
Zippergate said:

bearister said:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/113619/replies/2294068
It's hard to take seriously anyone who uses the term insurrection.

That's the whole post, the insult that motivated your screed. You and many others have taken much more derogatory shots at me on the vaccine board for years. But even before this I have been thinking that my posting can come across as overly aggressive and I am trying to tone it down. But it is difficult. With the same passion that you hate Trump and the deplorables, I hate what the radical, authoritarian Left is doing to this country. Words matter. Arguments matter, or at least they should. It feels like we've moved past arguments in good faith to rabid partisanship. The nation is horribly divided and that is reflected on this board. This is going to be a nasty year and many people are going to be very upset. I wish it weren't so.

I get it. You are mad at the radical eft. Is it all immigration and vaccines? Are there other issues?

And at what point between Reagan's amnesty and now did immigration become the sole responsibility of the radical left? At what point between Trump's Warp Speed and now did vaccines become the sole responsibility of the radical left?
He / Him
bearister
I'm convinced tRump is our next POTUS. Do you think he will have competent people at the levers of power assisting him in running the country?

Yogi has already opined that Biden's surrounding cast has ruined this country.

I don't see any difference between the Right Wing and the Radical Left (see Mayor of Oakland and Madame D.A.) Both are destroying the country. Yogi opined that Moderates are destroying the country.
Zippergate
bearister said:

I'm convinced tRump is our next POTUS. Do you think he will have competent people at the levers of power assisting him in running the country?

Yogi has already opined that Biden's surrounding cast has ruined this country.

I don't see any difference between the Right Wing and the Radical Left (see Mayor of Oakland and Madame D.A.) Both are destroying the country. Yogi opined that Moderates are destroying the country.
I'd take the other side of that bet. Trump will lose. As for his supporting cast, he had some competent people, but people like General Flynn were targeted for persecution before Trump even took office. To be clear, I don't want Trump back. My choices were Desantis or Vivek. I would vote for RFK Jr even though I disagree with him on a few things. But more Obama III would be a disaster imo.
Zippergate
The loaded nature of your questions tells me you're not interested in a thoughtful reply so I won't take the time to write one.
movielover
dajo9
Zippergate said:

The loaded nature of your questions tells me you're not interested in a thoughtful reply so I won't take the time to write one.

Too bad. I was hoping to get you to talk more about your claim that the U.S. no longer has the global reserve currency.
He / Him
dajo9
Here are the things Republicans refuse to pass with bipartisan support.
- Billions for border security
- Tougher amnesty laws
- Streamlined processes at the border

Very occasionally there is a policy issue in which I align more with Republicans than I do Democrats. Immigration and border security is one of those issues (though I could never align with those that attach racism to these policies). But it is difficult for me to take Republicans seriously, even when I agree with them because I know they will always put selfish interests over that of the country. Here we have the framework of a good bipartisan plan that Republicans won't support because Traitor Trump wants to keep the problem at the border so he can campaign on it.

Republicans need to secure the border and stop playing games.
He / Him
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

You're a good man, bearister. I'll bet you are very similar (although different) to my two lawyer, Saturday morning coffee buddies who try to convince me that despite their Trump reservations to vote for him. I try to remember what my middle age, Hispanic neighborhood told me when we were talking about candidates, "why do you care who is president? You'll be fine no matter who it is. You're a white male". She said it in such a non threatening way I just had to laugh. So...I too will sit back and watch my fed taxes go down and my state taxes go up while I drive and ride my bike again (now that my seizures are gone).
Zippergate
Who is the dictator again?

dajo9
Zippergate said:

First, I laugh at anything Laura Loomer says or does.

Second, I wonder if the Republican Supreme Court has opined on the matter.
He / Him
oski003
dajo9 said:

Zippergate said:

First, I laugh at anything Laura Loomer says or does.

Second, I wonder if the Republican Supreme Court has opined on the matter.

Laura Loomer is your dajo9.
movielover

bear2034
Biden demands Texas stand down today and threatens to use federal action if Abbott refuses deadline.

Abbott confirms to Tucker that if Biden federalizes Texas' National Guard, he has other armed law enforcement personnel standing guard on the border. He also confirms other reinforcements are coming from other states.

The deadline has passed.
Zippergate
Maybe Biden will send in Antifa.
bear2034
Zippergate said:

Maybe Biden will send in Antifa.

And FBI agents disguised as MAGA supporters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.