Official BI apolitical COVID-19 Thread

96,240 Views | 980 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coronavirus found in air samples up to 13 feet from patients

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-found-air-samples-13-feet-patients-231032581.html

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Go!Bears
Unit2Sucks said:

This is what it looks like when you don't aggressively lockdown. I don't believe we have done anything to prevent this from happening if we were to open back up for business in the near-term. If we are able to do what S. Korea did, that could be a different story, but Trump has made it clear that isn't in the cards on a nationwide basis.

I don't follow his logic: this challenges the Trump caused the disastrous US Response thesis. Trump didn't cause their disaster, (Sweden clearly has idiots too) but his tiny fingerprints are all over ours.
bearister

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- It's a story that has been making headlines across the United States, did Californians develop herd immunity after possibly being exposed to novel coronavirus last year?

https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-in-california-doctor-shares-his-thoughts/6093881/
Unit2Sucks
Go!Bears said:

I don't follow his logic: this challenges the Trump caused the disastrous US Response thesis. Trump didn't cause their disaster, (Sweden clearly has idiots too) but his tiny fingerprints are all over ours.

I think the point was that you could have a disastrous response without Trump. Doesn't mean we would have with Clinton (she may not have been aggressive enough but she would have been a far better executive and has a functional team under her) but neither can we claim that anyone but Trump would have been a success.

I'm positive Sweden would be even worse off with Trump since he is worse than zero.
BearlyCareAnymore
bearister said:

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- It's a story that has been making headlines across the United States, did Californians develop herd immunity after possibly being exposed to novel coronavirus last year?

https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-in-california-doctor-shares-his-thoughts/6093881/
bearister, I know you love this theory. I suspect because it would be such an easy solution if we just all had it. I would point out that if you really read this, the doctor basically tactfully said, "yeah, we should look into that, but...no."

Quote:

So I would believe that local public health experts in positions still would have been saying like hey we're having a lot of people hospitalized for something, and none of our tests are coming back positive and so that never came up. Now it's possible in the past somebody may have died and they would have said you know this is pneumonia or respiratory failure, and they weren't exactly calling it COVID-19. But again, if we say that 50 to 60% need to be infected at herd immunity. That's hard for me to believe right now in the United States
I'm sorry, but the simplest explanation is the most likely. And, also, the simplest explanation also explains why Washington has been impacted to such a lesser extent as well. What is more likely?

Scenario 1: The Bay Area took drastic action before anyone else did. The rest of California followed suit a couple days later. Washington also took drastic action. All three took action very early on their curve with very few cases. The places where the spread has been slowed happen to correspond where they took the earliest, most drastic action.

Scenario 2: California got COVID first. 50%-60% of the population were infected giving us herd immunity. Somehow with half of us getting it, it did not overwhelm our hospitals. We were not looking at 1000's of deaths. Or we were and nobody noticed it. With UCSF and Stanford, and the major Kaiser hub right here, the medical community that decades before very early recognized a strange "cancer" or "pneumonia" in the gay community with a handful of cases completely missed this one. And somehow with many nonstop flights to New York every day, and on average half of those on those flights infected, NONE of us took the virus to New York so they could get herd immunity or start their outbreak months earlier. None of us took the virus to the myriad of US cities that thousands fly to every day. We didn't take it to Chicago or Boston or Detroit or New Orleans. But half of us were infected massively early by an outbreak taking place in a city that has very little travel to and from California. And because of that we already reached our apex with no one noticing and the virus is running on fumes here?

It plain doesn't make sense. Somehow you have to explain why we did not see the hospitalizations and deaths that everyone else who has seen a major presence of the virus has had. Because, again, for us to have heard immunity, half of us would have had to get it while not overwhelming the medical apparatus. Honestly, a very unlikely, completely unsupported, but much better theory, would be that the virus has been circulating around California in some earlier form for more like years, not months, in a form that looked like normal flu with normal flu death rates, that took its time infecting most of us, and then somewhere in the world mutated enough to become deadlier but not enough that our antibodies did not recognize the virus. If California has herd immunity on this thing, we did not get it from Wuhan. They got it from us.

What makes more sense is it is a politically motivated theory with no scientific basis that has been making the rounds in conservative institutions and media because they 1. Want to believe we should never have adopted social distancing and 2. never want to give liberal California credit for anything.
BearlyCareAnymore
Go!Bears said:

Unit2Sucks said:

This is what it looks like when you don't aggressively lockdown. I don't believe we have done anything to prevent this from happening if we were to open back up for business in the near-term. If we are able to do what S. Korea did, that could be a different story, but Trump has made it clear that isn't in the cards on a nationwide basis.

His logic is basically the same as saying you can't blame Fidel Castro for his policies in Cuba because Russia and China were communist too. No one ever claimed Trump was responsible for all the stupidity in the world.
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

OaktownBear said:

You said:

Quote:

The part I wonder a lot more about is the the overall lack of positives in the large Chinese population here. One nearby city is over 60% Asian - mostly Chinese - and they travel back and forth to China frequently. I figured that my area would be Ground Zero for the virus.
If they aren't traveling to Wuhan, which they aren't because there aren't close ties to Wuhan, why would you expect your area to be Ground Zero? The areas the Chinese in your community are connected to were barely hit by the virus. And why would you think British Columbia would be hit when their Chinese community is mostly from Hong Kong which was barely touched by the virus?

Milan, for instance, does a lot of business with Wuhan. There was good reason to believe that would be a problem not because of any Chinese community there but because there is travel back and forth. There was no reason to think the same of California with few ties to Wuhan. Again, if you had a community of people from Oregon who travel all the time to Oregon, you wouldn't be concerned. If you had a community of people from New York, you would be concerned. There's no difference. Bottom line, you thought your area would be ground zero because you weren't distinguishing Wuhan from the rest of China.

I do not think it is that important to distinguish Wuhan from the rest of China because millions of people left Wuhan before the quarantine and spread throughout China and the world:

https://www.voanews.com/science-health/coronavirus-outbreak/where-did-they-go-millions-left-wuhan-quarantine

"The cities outside Hubei province that were top destinations for trips from Wuhan between Jan. 10 and Jan. 24 were Chongqing, a municipality next to Hubei province, Beijing and Shanghai."

"The top 10 global destinations for travelers from high-risk Chinese cities around Lunar New Year, according to their analysis, were Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, the United States, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam and Australia."

You have an article from early on trying to predict an outbreak that predicted it drastically wrong. It absolutely is important to distinguish Wuhan from the rest of China. 1. By the articles own data, 70% of the travel from Wuhan was within Hubei province. and 14% was to neighboring provinces in central China which for the most part is not the area of China that travels to California. I would argue that the data was also skewed to more distance travel because it also noted it could not track people without a mobile phone and those people were mostly going to be local workers returning to their family homes for New Years. the 5 million figure was largely pulled out of the mayor's ass. And people were not spreading from Wuhan throughout the world. Chinese people go home for New Years much like Americans go home for Thanksgiving, but to a far greater extent so by far most travel in that time period is domestic. They are not traveling internationally. You needed a two step process - Wuhan to infect another city like Beijing, and then people from Beijing to infect an international destination. So for a city like Beijing, you had maybe a few thousand people moving from Wuhan to a city of 21 million people around January 17. With airline travel being shut off a the end of the month, there simply was not time for a significant percentage of people from Beijing to become infected and pose a threat to the world. (and in fact, the people of Beijing were never infected in a major way.

Your quote about top 10 global destinations from "high risk Chinese cities" were based on their belief at the time that cities like Beijing and Shanghai were at high risk. The global cities weren't at risk from Wuhan. They were at risk from cities like Beijing and Shanghai that have far more international travel. But their assumption was based on those cities developing outbreaks of their own and they never did. Unless and until the major business centers on the east coast of China developed outbreaks, we were not at a grave threat that the disease was going to enter in a major way through the American Chinese communities.

bearister
OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

bearister, I know you love this theory. I suspect because it would be such an easy solution if we just all had it. I would point out that if you really read this, the doctor basically tactfully said, "yeah, we should look into that, but...no."

I am just engaging in wishful thinking. I'm all in with Gov. Newsom. I liked your post....it basically pulled my theory's pants down and mocked it, like this article does:

Unlikely that California has 'herd immunity' to the coronavirus - SFChronicle.com

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Unlikely-that-California-has-herd-immunity-15193666.php

*Now that I know Rush and Laura back my theory, I am going to purify myself with several self flagellation sessions.

Coronavirus: who will be winners and losers in new world order?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/coronavirus-who-will-be-winners-and-losers-in-new-world-order?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
dimitrig
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

I am just engaging in wishful thinking. I'm all in with Gov. Newsom. I liked your post....it basically pulled my theory's pants down and mocked it, like this article does:

Unlikely that California has 'herd immunity' to the coronavirus - SFChronicle.com

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Unlikely-that-California-has-herd-immunity-15193666.php

*Now that I know Rush and Laura back my theory, I am going to purify myself with several self flagellation sessions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/11/coronavirus-who-will-be-winners-and-losers-in-new-world-order?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I think that article set up a straw man to knock it down. It's obvious California doesn't have herd immunity just based on the number of cases we have now. However, there is plenty of room between herd immunity (50-60%) of the population is immune and 0%. The article doesn't really address the possibility that the virus has been circulating in California at some low level in some communities. The basis of the argument is that if it HAD been a lot more people would have gotten really sick and/or died but that's only if we use the current infection and mortality rates which we know are wrong because we have just begun testing.

The early patients in Wuhan described their symptoms like that of a common cold. One said he thought it was just a hangover from going out to drink the night before. It was only when cases of viral pneumonia started cropping up that the Chinese suspected SARS. I am not sure American hospitals would be so quick to make the connection to SARS. Remember, too, that lots of people experience almost no symptoms.

I looked at the Nextstrain site (which is a very nice site) and the data they have show the first cases in California around January 22/23 originating directly from China and Hong Kong. Later cases (a month later) were transmitted from UK, Canada and France via Belgium and Australia (and internal to the US). However, they only analyzed the virus from 25 individuals in California so far so it is not a large data set at this point. It is clear that infection directly from mainland China did happen in California in January and did stop after Trump's travel ban - at least based on the limited data we currently have.

Let's see what the Stanford study says.

Nextstrain is located at http://nextstrain.org. It is pretty intuitive to use.

Big C
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

As to who will be the winners and losers in a projected new world order, the US ain't exactly looking so hot: Dishonest, overly focused on politics and propaganda at the expense of knowledge and science and... incredibly incompetent.

How the mighty have fallen. Way to go, _________ (name left out, as this is the apolitical thread).
bearister
U.S. gave $3.7million grant to lab at center coronavirus scandal

https://mol.im/a/8211291
bearister
Newsom Approval Rating Soars to 83%

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVUpQJiXQAEUtAt?format=jpg

The coronavirus pandemic threatens low-wage jobs - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-low-wage-jobs-7897454f-427d-4e08-b319-28edb72c93e0.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
bearister
OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

Quote:

So I would believe that local public health experts in positions still would have been saying like hey we're having a lot of people hospitalized for something, and none of our tests are coming back positive and so that never came up. Now it's possible in the past somebody may have died and they would have said you know this is pneumonia or respiratory failure, and they weren't exactly calling it COVID-19. But again, if we say that 50 to 60% need to be infected at herd immunity. That's hard for me to believe right now in the United States
I'm sorry, but the simplest explanation is the most likely. And, also, the simplest explanation also explains why Washington has been impacted to such a lesser extent as well. What is more likely?

Scenario 1: The Bay Area took drastic action before anyone else did. The rest of California followed suit a couple days later. Washington also took drastic action. All three took action very early on their curve with very few cases. The places where the spread has been slowed happen to correspond where they took the earliest, most drastic action.

Scenario 2: California got COVID first. 50%-60% of the population were infected giving us herd immunity. Somehow with half of us getting it, it did not overwhelm our hospitals. We were not looking at 1000's of deaths. Or we were and nobody noticed it. With UCSF and Stanford, and the major Kaiser hub right here, the medical community that decades before very early recognized a strange "cancer" or "pneumonia" in the gay community with a handful of cases completely missed this one. And somehow with many nonstop flights to New York every day, and on average half of those on those flights infected, NONE of us took the virus to New York so they could get herd immunity or start their outbreak months earlier. None of us took the virus to the myriad of US cities that thousands fly to every day. We didn't take it to Chicago or Boston or Detroit or New Orleans. But half of us were infected massively early by an outbreak taking place in a city that has very little travel to and from California. And because of that we already reached our apex with no one noticing and the virus is running on fumes here?

It plain doesn't make sense. Somehow you have to explain why we did not see the hospitalizations and deaths that everyone else who has seen a major presence of the virus has had. Because, again, for us to have heard immunity, half of us would have had to get it while not overwhelming the medical apparatus. Honestly, a very unlikely, completely unsupported, but much better theory, would be that the virus has been circulating around California in some earlier form for more like years, not months, in a form that looked like normal flu with normal flu death rates, that took its time infecting most of us, and then somewhere in the world mutated enough to become deadlier but not enough that our antibodies did not recognize the virus. If California has herd immunity on this thing, we did not get it from Wuhan. They got it from us.

What makes more sense is it is a politically motivated theory with no scientific basis that has been making the rounds in conservative institutions and media because they 1. Want to believe we should never have adopted social distancing and 2. never want to give liberal California credit for anything.

Another round of doubt;

New signs suggest coronavirus was in California far earlier than anyone knew

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-11/bay-area-coronavirus-deaths-signs-of-earlier-spread-california
BearlyCareAnymore
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

Quote:

Another round of doubt;

New signs suggest coronavirus was in California far earlier than anyone knew

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-11/bay-area-coronavirus-deaths-signs-of-earlier-spread-california

These articles just lead with what they think will sell. Seems to me the most relevant piece was the following but it doesn't create clicks

Stanford's virology lab, looking retroactively at some 2,800 patient samples collected since January, did not find the first COVID-19 cases until late February from two patients who were tested Feb. 21 and Feb. 23. Neither of those patients, the researchers note in a letter published by the Journal of the American Medical Assn., would have met existing criteria for COVID-19 testing.
bearister
This supports my theory that it doesn't matter if Biden is senile. It only matters who you have on your bench:

Opinion | Joe Biden: My Plan to Reopen America After the Coronavirus - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/opinion/joe-biden-coronavirus-reopen-america.html
Unit2Sucks
In case anyone is wondering what some of the "plans" to reopen the country look like: https://www.vox.com/2020/4/10/21215494/coronavirus-plans-social-distancing-economy-recession-depression-unemployment

Shoutout to Prof Romer who managed to find time to come up with a plan in between ****posting on BI.
going4roses
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/politics/coronavirus-red-dawn-emails-trump.html#click=https://t.co/oKlbiBiO8f
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
okaydo

bearister
The coronavirus is about to hit state and city economies - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-states-cities-economic-crisis-519d28b2-2126-4749-b94b-a3dcbdcf0feb.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Unit2Sucks
More (unsurprising) demographic information about those most affected by COVID: https://www.zdnet.com/article/nyu-scientists-largest-u-s-study-of-covid-19-finds-obesity-the-single-biggest-factor-in-new-york-critical-cases/

82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

This supports my theory that it doesn't matter if Biden is senile. It only matters who you have on your bench:

Opinion | Joe Biden: My Plan to Reopen America After the Coronavirus - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/opinion/joe-biden-coronavirus-reopen-america.html

The only thing Biden has going for him is that he should be able to surround himself with professional country runners. I doubt Biden could articulate what was written in this excellent article but he doesn't have to. He needs to be like late-term Reagan: give a speech, handle some softball questions and get off the stage.
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

More (unsurprising) demographic information about those most affected by COVID: https://www.zdnet.com/article/nyu-scientists-largest-u-s-study-of-covid-19-finds-obesity-the-single-biggest-factor-in-new-york-critical-cases/

The one thing that is surprising (although I have read it before) is that women fare so much better than men. What are the leading theories behind that?

82gradDLSdad
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

The one thing that is surprising (although I have read it before) is that women fare so much better than men. What are the leading theories behind that?

I'll bet it has to do with where one carries the fat. Obesity is just a rough measure of weight to height. Fat around your organs is bad, fat around your hips and butt is not nearly so bad. I'll bet more men have belly fat.

My guess.
Unit2Sucks
dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

My guess is that women have better functioning immune systems then men so they have a larger margin for error. From a chart I saw elsewhere, you have roughly the same prospects as a fit 70 year old or an obese 25 year old.
GBear4Life
Or men go out more. They work more. And probably defying SIP more.
okaydo
Since the beginning of this, when I was a in a jam-packed supermarket at 5 am, there was always this collective feeling of we're all in this together here in L.A.

okaydo

going4roses
Trump wins by default
oskidunker
Not a chance. This will be a land slide for Biden. I wouldnt be surprised if Trump wins no states.
bearister
" As many have pointed out, there is no evidence that the virus now plaguing the world was engineered; scientists largely agree it came from animals. But that is not the same as saying it didn't come from the lab, which spent years testing bat coronaviruses in animals, said Xiao Qiang, a research scientist at the School of Information at the University of California at Berkeley."

State Department cables warned of safety issues at Wuhan lab studying bat coronaviruses - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/state-department-cables-warned-safety-issues-wuhan-lab-studying-bat-coronaviruses/

dimitrig
bearister said:

" As many have pointed out, there is no evidence that the virus now plaguing the world was engineered; scientists largely agree it came from animals. But that is not the same as saying it didn't come from the lab, which spent years testing bat coronaviruses in animals, said Xiao Qiang, a research scientist at the School of Information at the University of California at Berkeley."

State Department cables warned of safety issues at Wuhan lab studying bat coronaviruses - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/state-department-cables-warned-safety-issues-wuhan-lab-studying-bat-coronaviruses/

I read an article in Scientific American about the "Bat Woman" who is a researcher at that lab who ventures far into the countryside to collect viruses from bats to study. She was worried COVID-19 was one her "her" viruses. However, she states that none of the sequences matched those of the viruses her team had sampled from bat caves.

It is a good read :

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-chinas-bat-woman-hunted-down-viruses-from-sars-to-the-new-coronavirus1/
bearister
The California Highway Patrol says it broke up a massive sideshow on Sunday involving anywhere from 100 to 150 cars in South Sacramento amid the coronavirus shelter-in-place order.

https://abc7news.com/video-shows-hundreds-watching-massive-sideshow-in-sacramento/6103676/
oskidunker
They should go to jail and be charged with a felony.
going4roses
I am teaching an EXCO course (now fully online of course) at SF state.

History of the SIdeshows

https://ueap.sfsu.edu/exco/courses#EXCO_Spring_20-24
bearister
going4roses said:

I am teaching an EXCO course (now fully online of course) at SF state.

History of the SIdeshows

https://ueap.sfsu.edu/exco/courses#EXCO_Spring_20-24

Then I assume you are a Prof. That is pretty cool. Sounds interesting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.