Official BI apolitical COVID-19 Thread

95,805 Views | 980 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
Why we're getting Zoom fatigue - Axios

https://www.axios.com/zoom-fatigue-coronavirus-teleconferencing-f5c0ce17-483f-4c71-9a7d-f023d7e7a45b.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Yogi04
bearister said:

https://www.axios.com/zoom-fatigue-coronavirus-teleconferencing-f5c0ce17-483f-4c71-9a7d-f023d7e7a45b.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
So much of life could be done faster if people would just put it in a memo or email
going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
dimitrig
going4roses said:

I am getting a sense this guy is dissatisfied in some way.
bearister
Senate Approves Aid for Small-Business Loan Program, Hospitals and Testing - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/us/politics/congress-business-relief-ppp.html
82gradDLSdad
going4roses said:

If Biden could only verbalize thoughts like this guy he'd wipe the floor with Trump.
bearister
I have been watching Vic for years. He makes me wet myself:

bearister
bearister
"What these deaths tell us is that we had community translation probably to a significant degree far earlier than we had known," said Dr. Sara Cody, the county's chief health officer. "When you have an outcome like death or ICU, that means that there's some iceberg of cases of unknown size that underlie those iceberg tips."

https://abc7news.com/sj-woman-believed-to-be-nations-first-covid-19-death-was-healthy-family-says/6123480/
bearister
We did it to ourselves': scientist says intrusion into nature led to pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/25/ourselves-scientist-says-human-intrusion-nature-pandemic-aoe?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Stoicism in a time of pandemic: how Marcus Aurelius can help

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/apr/25/stoicism-in-a-time-of-pandemic-coronavirus-marcus-aurelius-the-meditations?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
BearlyCareAnymore
bearister said:

"What these deaths tell us is that we had community translation probably to a significant degree far earlier than we had known," said Dr. Sara Cody, the county's chief health officer. "When you have an outcome like death or ICU, that means that there's some iceberg of cases of unknown size that underlie those iceberg tips."

https://abc7news.com/sj-woman-believed-to-be-nations-first-covid-19-death-was-healthy-family-says/6123480/
I just want to point out that they defined "far earlier" as January.
Big C
bearister said:

Oh, I am already so totally sick of Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, facetime, etc... and we're just scratching the surface.

Even friends, family members, etc. I really have no desire to see them, if it's not in person. And do I want to BE SEEN? No.

Pet Peeve: The carefully "curated" (hate that word, but it fits here) books in the background of people on TV, being interviewed from home. Instead of Trump's version of being sarcastic, I'd like to see somebody put up some "books" that would make me laugh. (Title: "Not Really a Book" Subtitle: "I keep my weed in here.")
oskidunker
Big C said:

bearister said:

Oh, I am already so totally sick of Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, facetime, etc... and we've just scratched the surface.

Even friends, family members, etc. I really have no desire to see them, if it's not in person. And do I want to BE SEEN? No.

Pet Peeve: The carefully "curated" (hate that word, but it fits here) books in the background of people on TV, being interviewed from home. Instead of Trump's version of being sarcastic, I'd like to see somebody put up some "books" that would make me laugh. (Title: "Not Really a Book" Subtitle: "I keep my weed in here.")

Thats exactly how I feel. I thought maybe I was weird . Ok.
Go Bears!
bearister
"Fauci says he'd want Brad Pitt to play him on 'Saturday Night Live'" The Hill, April 10

B.A. Bearacus

Anarchistbear
The NFL draft was the most watched of all time, more than 55 million in three days. Personally I think people would be a lot more upset about canceling the NFL than the election.
calpoly
Anarchistbear said:

The NFL draft was the most watched of all time, more than 55 million in three days. Personally I think people would be a lot more upset about canceling the NFL than the election.
What other sports show was available to watch? NBA classic? NHL classic? PGA classic?
bearister
Big C said:

You got to respect this. Brilliant. Read the titles one after the other:

Anarchistbear
calpoly said:

Anarchistbear said:

What other sports show was available to watch? NBA classic? NHL classic? PGA classic?

None, but the NFL typically is more popular than other sports. A regular season NFL game is more popular than the NBA finals,World Series, Stanley Cup, Olympics, etc so I think this reflects not only the absence of sports but specifically the absence of the NFL. These ratings are up there with divisional playoffs
Go!Bears
And there is literally nothing else to do...
bearister
Seattle's Leaders Let Scientists Take the Lead. New York's Did Not | The New Yorker

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/04/seattles-leaders-let-scientists-take-the-lead-new-yorks-did-not
Unit2Sucks
With respect to the debate as to whether we are overcounting or undercounting COVID deaths, the WaPo weighed in with a story today based on a study by Yale's school of public health.

Quote:

In the early weeks of the coronavirus epidemic, the United States recorded an estimated 15,400 excess deaths, nearly two times as many as were publicly attributed to covid-19 at the time, according to an analysis of federal data conducted for The Washington Post by a research team led by the Yale School of Public Health.

The excess deaths the number beyond what would normally be expected for that time of year occurred during March and through April 4, a time when 8,128 coronavirus deaths were reported.
The excess deaths are not necessarily attributable directly to covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. They could include people who died because of the epidemic but not from the disease, such as those who were afraid to seek medical treatment for unrelated illnesses, as well as some number of deaths that are part of the ordinary variation in the death rate. The count is also affected by increases or decreases in other categories of deaths, such as suicides, homicides and motor vehicle accidents.
But in any pandemic, higher-than-normal mortality is a starting point for scientists seeking to understand the full impact of the disease.

The Yale analysis for the first time estimates excess deaths, both nationally and in each state, in those five weeks. Relying on data that the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) released Friday, the analysis paints a picture of unusually high mortality that will come into sharper view as more data becomes available.

The analysis calculates excess deaths by using a model to estimate how many people probably would have died absent the pandemic, and then subtracting that number from the overall deaths reported by the NCHS.

bearister
" The "sharing economy" embodied by Uber, Airbnb and WeWork is in critical condition, thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, managing editor Scott Rosenberg writes from the Bay Area.

Why it matters: Basic assumptions about the evolution of human behavior in the digital age are melting under the pressure of COVID-19, requiring us to recalibrate how we envision the tech-enabled future.
Ride-hailing giants Uber and Lyft have seen their business crater, according to analysts.

Neither has ever turned a profit. Uber is weighing layoffs of up to 20% of its 2,700 employees, The Information reported.
Airbnb has added cleaning protocols and 24-hour between-stay buffers. The privately held company hasn't disclosed how its business is faring, but it took on two separate $1 billion loans earlier in April.

WeWork, which packs large numbers of workers from multiple companies into its teeming co-working spaces, was already in trouble before the coronavirus hit, and now is trying to figure out how to make "members" feel comfortable enough to return to their pods.
The pandemic has brutally shut down these companies' fundamental bets.

Minimal travel means little demand for short-term rentals. And thanks to work-from-home orders, there's little demand for co-working space.
The big picture: The sharing economy an idealistic vision birthed and branded in the late 2000s, during the last economic crisis held that Americans were moving beyond an ethos of acquiring and protecting stuff.

Instead, we would willingly share use and enjoyment of space, vehicles, and tools, saving money to buy memorable experiences.
What's next: In some ways, the pandemic opens a door to the revival of the sharing economy's original, grassroots ideals of community cooperation and peer-to-peer trust.

There's a lot of flour, sugar and yeast passing from neighbor to neighbor these days, even if we're just leaving it on one another's doorsteps.
We may not rush back into shared spaces but we've experienced a profound demonstration of interdependence." Axios
golden sloth
I cant help but think that the share economy will come back in a matter of weeks once the lockdowns are lifted.

Also, I was on airbnb yesterday looking at places for the 4th of July in tahoe, and I was amazed at how expensive the places still were. I also checked for local hotels, and their prices were also really high. You would think that if these businesses are getting hammered as hard as they claim to be, they would be pricing the product to sell, but they are not. Just proves market forces dont always work.
BearlyCareAnymore
golden sloth said:

I cant help but think that the share economy will come back in a matter of weeks once the lockdowns are lifted.

Also, I was on airbnb yesterday looking at places for the 4th of July in tahoe, and I was amazed at how expensive the places still were. I also checked for local hotels, and their prices were also really high. You would think that if these businesses are getting hammered as hard as they claim to be, they would be pricing the product to sell, but they are not. Just proves market forces dont always work.
Airbnb is a glorified listing service. People's vacation rentals don't go away because they can't rent them for a few months. It's sunk cost. If Airbnb can't make it through, people will use another listing service or they will list on the internet like they used to until another one comes along.

If anything, my guess is when things open up people will be itching to take vacations and frankly rentals might be more attractive than other options.

bearister
" Also, I was on airbnb yesterday looking at places for the 4th of July in tahoe, and I was amazed at how expensive the places still were. I also checked for local hotels, and their prices were also really high."

I think when you look up the term "wishful thinking," this is listed as an example.
chazzed
Florida's state government seems to have been undeporting COVID-19 numbers, including deaths.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/29/florida-medical-examiners-were-releasing-coronavirus-death-data-the-state-made-them-stop/
B.A. Bearacus
dimitrig
chazzed said:

Florida's state government seems to have been undeporting COVID-19 numbers, including deaths.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/29/florida-medical-examiners-were-releasing-coronavirus-death-data-the-state-made-them-stop/

I believe this is widespread. In my mind there is no way that OC has only 42 deaths when every surrounding county has more - mostly WAY more.

I think some counties are being more liberal as listing COVID-19 as probable cause of death while others are being more conservative.

OdontoBear66
dimitrig said:

chazzed said:

I believe this is widespread. In my mind there is no way that OC has only 42 deaths when every surrounding county has more - mostly WAY more.

I think some counties are being more liberal as listing COVID-19 as probable cause of death while others are being more conservative.

"I believe", "no way", "more liberal", "more conservative"... Lots of emphatic conclusions from a lot of opinion here.. I doubt the numbers are wrong either way, but are more relating to the incidences and busyness of the medical institutions in each of the areas. If autopsies can be done, comorbidity can be checked. When you are overwhelmed, it may just not be possible at the time, or ever for that matter. Everything about OC is different in the numbers from LA County---TEN times fewer the cases reported roughly and 24 times fewer deaths.

I think it might be easy to logically assume that the OC is much less dense and that could represent the difference, but I think (and that is opinion) that it more relates to how carefully things can be handled depending on how stretched the medical personnel are. And the general socioeconomic level (and I mean general) is higher in the OC which seems to have a relationship to cases and deaths. I do know that Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo was never overwhelmed and wound up over prepared for what actually happened. Regardless, one death is one too many.
chazzed
Good news on the cutting edge of coronavirus reinfection studies:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-south-korea-patients-infected-twice-test-a9491986.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3oJ9KxuYzQDLDUUzDVtLYhidN4sUXpo-blM_EKDpxlB4cQPjoLiFaWdZg#Echobox=1588251017
GBear4Life
cases of COVID could be double right now despite confirmed cases decreasing if the newly (or undiscovered) infected aren't showing up at hospitals. On one hand it'd be a great thing that so many people aren't severely sick from it, lowering the actual death rate and ER rate and creating more immunity (in theory). Downside is more spreading will occur with results that are difficult to predict.
GBear4Life
OaktownBear said:

golden sloth said:

Airbnb is a glorified listing service. People's vacation rentals don't go away because they can't rent them for a few months. It's sunk cost. If Airbnb can't make it through, people will use another listing service or they will list on the internet like they used to until another one comes along.

If anything, my guess is when things open up people will be itching to take vacations and frankly rentals might be more attractive than other options.

I find that crowd sourcing sites like AirBnB and UBer/Lyft charge extremely high % commissions and fees for merely providing the platform. And yet they can't make money. Ridiculous.
bearister
An industry that is a scourge to mankind.

Revealed: 100,000 crew never made it off cruise ships amid coronavirus crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/30/no-end-in-sight-100000-crew-on-cruise-ships-stranded-at-sea-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.