Now that Elon will own twitter on Friday or Monday..

125,180 Views | 1694 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by chazzed
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

wifeisafurd said:

Let's assume (I don't necessarily agree with this assumption) all this is Elon is changing the culture and imposing cost cuts to what has been an historically unprofitable company that underperforms. He is taking a sledgehammer approach, rather than using a scapel, in a way that is alienating users and ad customers.

If it was so unprofitable and in need of sledgehammer changes, why on earth did he buy it for $44B?????
Ooops!

This could be one of business histories great lessons, just as his other ventures are but for the opposite direction.

Great point, Tom. Elmo paid $44 billion. Is that the valuation before his involvement or is this a vanity project?

I tend to think it's a vanity project, which makes all the talk of productivity and profitability irrelevant.

Elmo wants to change what Twitter is. He's just another ****-poster except when he gets mad at the rules he can say, "I'm going to buy this company and change the rules". And that's what he did.
Life in the oligarchy. Tax the rich.

He's a creative problem solver, an engineer. A seriously brilliant engineer worthy of much praise and admiration, not only for his forward-looking solutions to broad-scale problems, but also for his passion, his drive.

But now he's trying to engineer society in a way that is not providing attractive better options, but he's fighting humanity in an unproductive way. Mankind can be like an army of mindless orks, death by a thousand paper cuts. We've seen man be irrational and irresponsible. He has, perhaps, too much faith in us. This is one battle I don't think he's going to win on.

I don't think it's about humanity. I think it's about politics.

One thing that is obvious now is that it was never about free speech.

I don't think Elon truly appreciates the potential horrors of free speech.
Mob mentality, orks, often win in Dungeons & Dragons.
Man's dark side is powerful.
Elon is naive in thinking goodness rules, carries the day.

I disagree. I think Elmo bought twitter to make it a home for the right wing. A kind of Fox News social media in a way that Getr and Truth Social have not been able to achieve.

People and organizations that care about real information and integrity are self-selecting out whether they are users or employees. What will be left is a right wing echo-chamber. Smaller but still very functional.

Won't last long unless it can make some money for its investors.

What's the debt and who owns it?

The debt is $44B and it is owned by Elon Musk and everyone else who put money up alongside Elon. He didn't do this alone. Others are hoping to make money off of this.

No, the debt is $13 billion and it's being sold at 60 cents on the dollar and it will eventually be restructured and twitter will be a right wing message board.

Elon didn't buy Twitter to lose $30B on it unless he's an even bigger idiot than he seems - and that is if Twitter breaks even going forward. He could lose even more if he continues to shovel money at it.

dajo9
dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

wifeisafurd said:

Let's assume (I don't necessarily agree with this assumption) all this is Elon is changing the culture and imposing cost cuts to what has been an historically unprofitable company that underperforms. He is taking a sledgehammer approach, rather than using a scapel, in a way that is alienating users and ad customers.

If it was so unprofitable and in need of sledgehammer changes, why on earth did he buy it for $44B?????
Ooops!

This could be one of business histories great lessons, just as his other ventures are but for the opposite direction.

Great point, Tom. Elmo paid $44 billion. Is that the valuation before his involvement or is this a vanity project?

I tend to think it's a vanity project, which makes all the talk of productivity and profitability irrelevant.

Elmo wants to change what Twitter is. He's just another ****-poster except when he gets mad at the rules he can say, "I'm going to buy this company and change the rules". And that's what he did.
Life in the oligarchy. Tax the rich.

He's a creative problem solver, an engineer. A seriously brilliant engineer worthy of much praise and admiration, not only for his forward-looking solutions to broad-scale problems, but also for his passion, his drive.

But now he's trying to engineer society in a way that is not providing attractive better options, but he's fighting humanity in an unproductive way. Mankind can be like an army of mindless orks, death by a thousand paper cuts. We've seen man be irrational and irresponsible. He has, perhaps, too much faith in us. This is one battle I don't think he's going to win on.

I don't think it's about humanity. I think it's about politics.

One thing that is obvious now is that it was never about free speech.

I don't think Elon truly appreciates the potential horrors of free speech.
Mob mentality, orks, often win in Dungeons & Dragons.
Man's dark side is powerful.
Elon is naive in thinking goodness rules, carries the day.

I disagree. I think Elmo bought twitter to make it a home for the right wing. A kind of Fox News social media in a way that Getr and Truth Social have not been able to achieve.

People and organizations that care about real information and integrity are self-selecting out whether they are users or employees. What will be left is a right wing echo-chamber. Smaller but still very functional.

Won't last long unless it can make some money for its investors.

What's the debt and who owns it?

The debt is $44B and it is owned by Elon Musk and everyone else who put money up alongside Elon. He didn't do this alone. Others are hoping to make money off of this.

No, the debt is $13 billion and it's being sold at 60 cents on the dollar and it will eventually be restructured and twitter will be a right wing message board.

Elon didn't buy Twitter to lose $30B on it unless he's an even bigger idiot than he seems.

How will losing $30 billion affect his life? It won't. This is about prestige in certain circles. He's making himself a hero.
American Vermin
DiabloWags
dajo9 said:

DiabloWags said:

Shhhhh...

Our "tax the rich" colleagues who were Liberal Arts majors still havent figured this most salient point out. Had Musk not bought Twitter, our Govt. would not have received over $15 BILLION in tax revenue.

I suppose Economics is liberal arts

It is if Robert Reich was the professor.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
dajo9
DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

DiabloWags said:

Shhhhh...

Our "tax the rich" colleagues who were Liberal Arts majors still havent figured this most salient point out. Had Musk not bought Twitter, our Govt. would not have received over $15 BILLION in tax revenue.

I suppose Economics is liberal arts

It is if Robert Reich was the professor.

It always is
American Vermin
MinotStateBeav
He's back!!!!!!

Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

He's back!!!!!!

He wasn't done destroying the GOP and the "conservative movement" so he's back to finish what he started. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of old white guys.
dajo9
The convulsion of Twitter to a right wing echo chamber does great harm to oppressed people everywhere and is a big win for autocrats. In 2022, the people of Ukraine and Iran have used Twitter to great affect to highlight their struggles against authoritarian oppressors. In previous years others have done the same. Social media, in general, has been part of the fight against authoritarianism here in America.

It will be a different landscape going forward. The Twitter merging of on-the-ground regular people, real media, and real experts will be gone. The authoritarian message will win the day. Voices of truth and freedom, always a struggle on Twitter anyway, will have to find another avenue.
American Vermin
wraptor347
Unit2Sucks said:

He wasn't done destroying the GOP and the "conservative movement" so he's back to finish what he started. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of old white guys.

okaydo

Cal88
calpoly
Cal88 said:

How could that be? I thought they reinstated tRumps twitter account!
harebear
okaydo
Cal88
okaydo said:

Sarah "cancel white people" Jeong?

Quote:

Jeong was hired by the Times in August 2018, but the newspaper soon received strong backlash after tweets emerged in which Jeong made racially insensitive comments.

"Oh man it's kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men," Jeong said in one tweet from 2014 that has since been deleted.

"Dumbass fing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants," Jeong said in another tweet from that year.

A third tweet posted by Jeong in 2014 said, "Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins."

Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

My initial reaction, after being horrified that these people exist, is that it's about damn time that someone does something about it.

Then I thought about it for 5 seconds and began to wonder: if everyone knows about these things, the FBI probably does as well. And if the FBI allowed these to stay in place, they were probably using it to go after the vile criminals using it. And then I realized that Twitter used to cooperate with law enforcement and was subject to a consent decree that required it to take certain steps before making changes to the platform. And then I remembered that everyone in compliance was either fired or quit and that if this had been something useful to law enforcement, Musk might never have known about it and now this activity, rather than disappearing, will just move to a non-compliant platform where law enforcement won't be able to investigate.

So without more information, I guess I don't know how to feel, other than disgusted that we even have to have this conversation because the world is awful with these losers.
okaydo
bearister
Twitter tech glitches mount as staffers depart

https://www.axios.com/2022/11/22/twitter-tech-glitches-staffers-depart-elon-musk
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
Reminds me of when the former President of the United States was butthurt over Chrissy Teigen insulting him.

\
movielover
movielover
Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

My initial reaction, after being horrified that these people exist, is that it's about damn time that someone does something about it.

Then I thought about it for 5 seconds and began to wonder: if everyone knows about these things, the FBI probably does as well. And if the FBI allowed these to stay in place, they were probably using it to go after the vile criminals using it. And then I realized that Twitter used to cooperate with law enforcement and was subject to a consent decree that required it to take certain steps before making changes to the platform. And then I remembered that everyone in compliance was either fired or quit and that if this had been something useful to law enforcement, Musk might never have known about it and now this activity, rather than disappearing, will just move to a non-compliant platform where law enforcement won't be able to investigate.

So without more information, I guess I don't know how to feel, other than disgusted that we even have to have this conversation because the world is awful with these losers.

Since when do our FIB and DOJ operate above board? They let Weinstein and Epstein operate for years, allegedly working with JE.

There are allegations that our intelligence communities help run Twitter like CCP uses Tiki Tok.
Unit2Sucks
movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

Since when do our FIB and DOJ operate above board? They let Weinstein and Epstein operate for years, allegedly working with JE.

There are allegations that our intelligence communities help run Twitter like CCP uses Tiki Tok.

You have a phenomenal hit rate with conspiracy theories. We can only assume you have a house full of Alex Jones supplements.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

You have a phenomenal hit rate with conspiracy theories. We can only assume you have a house full of Alex Jones supplements.

Bah. Everything you disagree with is a conspiracy theory. Everyone crying about Musk turning Twitter into an alt right platform is drinking the ultimate Kool Aid conspiracy theory. Salty tears.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

In movielover's world, allegations = THE TRUTH!!!
movielover
Musk states what has been evident for years.

Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

Musk states what has been evident for years.

Just another sign that free speech on Twitter will be opinions that Elon Musk approves of.
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

Bah. Everything you disagree with is a conspiracy theory. Everyone crying about Musk turning Twitter into an alt right platform is drinking the ultimate Kool Aid conspiracy theory. Salty tears.
Your complete misunderstanding is entirely on brand for you. Keep doing your contrarian thing and defending the indefensible. Your low energy trolling isn't boring at all and I'm sure everyone enjoys having you baselessly rush to the defense of people you don't agree with only to make pointless tangential statements.
movielover
The vast majority of banned accounts on Twitter were / are Conservative.
Unit2Sucks
movielover said:

The vast majority of banned accounts on Twitter were / are Conservative.
Source?
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

Your complete misunderstanding is entirely on brand for you. Keep doing your contrarian thing and defending the indefensible. Your low energy trolling isn't boring at all and I'm sure everyone enjoys having you baselessly rush to the defense of people you don't agree with only to make pointless tangential statements.

I would agree with you if I were a lemming who only saw things in black and white.
okaydo

okaydo
Stephen King tweets at 1:44 pm on Tuesday.

Elon Musk responds at 11:19 pm on Tuesday.

Elon Musk responds at 11:48 pm on Tuesday.

Elon Musk responds at 11:55 pm on Tuesday.

After consulting with his comedy writers, Elon Musk responds at 11:42 am on Wednesday.

movielover
Dr. Jordan Peterson debunks Cal's RR.

okaydo
oski003
okaydo said:

Wow, this is a petty attack on Musk. The left is losing its mind over Musk's Twitter takeover.
okaydo
oski003 said:

okaydo said:

Wow, this is a petty attack on Musk. The left is losing its mind over Musk's Twitter takeover.

He flat out lied about a devastating experience, I guess that you enjoy being led to, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.