Now that Elon will own twitter on Friday or Monday..

125,807 Views | 1694 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by chazzed
WalterSobchak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He's free to grandstand too. He's also free to stage stalkings for PR as long as he doesn't file police reports, which would be an actual crime. And guys like BG are free to guzzle all that KoolAid down and lick the pitcher clean. But we're also free not to join them and to call them out for the fools they are.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

What is the point of posting the location of a prominent person (or their plane/car) in REAL TIME?
I covered this a month and a half ago in this very thread when this was happening.
I did as well, but BG continues to repost his same complaints over and over.
Logic fails you.

Your post below (which is consistent with your prior posts that I could find):

"this is FAA mandated information/capability that is publicly available and still being "posted" by numerous sources, some private and some governmental."

The fact that it is publicly available doesn't answer my question - what is the point of posting real time location of a prominent person? I'm not asking how its possible to post the that. I'm not saying it is illegal or tortious.

I'm asking what is the motivation (and really the consequence) of doing so? It is pretty clear the intent is to, at a minimum, harass and the effect is to impose a privacy/security issue. Regardless of legality, I'm saying its wrong and against the TOS of many websites (not just Twitter).
I assume this was directed at me since you quoted me despite replying to EOB. To be clear, you're asking me to justify the public policy underlying the FAA's ADS-B rules? Why? What does that have to do with the matter and why am I responsible for it? I assume they had some rational basis for their action but I haven't followed that closely. Do you have some specific complaint about that public policy? Why don't you explain why public information that's legal and not tortious isn't free for public dissemination? Is that really a precedent you want to set?

I offered several real-world legitimate uses for flight tracking of public figures upthread. I also gave an (admittedly sarcastic) comparison to telephone books. More savvy individuals nowadays can easily ascertain specific home address information by aggregating online public data sources. Those are far more personal and have a much higher potential for wrongdoing. Still it's legal and not tortious to do so (without more). Here I pointed out that nobody ever called the police regarding the asserted stalking incident in LA. Why would that be? Why aren't you concerned about that and those other more invasive public information sources?

Yes - I was intending to reply to you

Thank you for proving my point that you're not following. I did not ask you to justify the public policy underlying ADS-B rules. My complaint isn't with public policy. It doesn't matter that there are legitimate uses or justifications for the public policy/information.

My point, again, is that broadcasting public geolocation information in real time is problematic, even if legal.

You are 100% correct there are ways to aggregate public information and find a persons identity, residence, place of employment, etc. Yet doing so and publishing that on most websites (i.e., doxxing) is not permitted and generally considered to be inappropriate.

As an example, THIS VERY WEBSITE has the following terms of use:

"Revealing personal information about others will not be tolerated. Bear Insider has a zero tolerance policy for anyone who posts private or defamatory information on this forum without the consent of the parties involved. This includes, but is not limited to, posters on this forum, athletes/staff/officials of University of California, business owners etc."

Maybe if you actually wanted to limit the scope to the TOS issue you should've said: "Regardless of legality Musk has the right under the Twitter TOS to suspend the accounts." But you're being disingenuous because that's not and never has been in dispute. sycasey has already acknowledged it at least once. I've never disputed it.

Pretty sure that Elno revised Twitter's private information policy in order to prevent the behavior he didn't want. Up until that policy change was made, I don't think it was a violation of Twitter's TOS. Some evidence of that is the fact that when Elno suspended the account, Twitter used an entirely different justification.
Quote:

Its note to Sweeney about the suspension, which he shared with the AP, said "You may not use Twitter's services in a manner intended to artificially amplify or suppress information or engage in behavior that manipulates or disrupts people's experience on Twitter." But that rationale was different from what Musk explained later Wednesday.
All that said, no one is disputing that Elno, as the owner of Twitter, could modify the TOS and ban whoever he wants. That argument is really a sideshow. Pretending like a violation of the TOS is the justification for deleting the account is disingenuous given that the TOS were modified after the controversy arose. What Elno can't do is grandstand about free speech and pretend like he's some champion here. Some examples of that which have been shown to be ridiculously false:

(hilariously, this tweet includes a reference to context from other users)

Looks like I'm not able to view Elon Musk's tweets because he's made them only visible to confirmed followers. LOL. Transparency!

The folks who want to defend Musk here have to pretty much ignore all of his behavior around this issue. First it's that he specifically said he would not suspend the ElonJet account because of how committed he was to free speech. Then without warning he suspended it (and apparently later changed the TOS to support his new decision). He also threatened legal action against the owner. Then, also without warning, he suspended journalist accounts who had reported on the ElonJet account and accused them of doxxing. Then he appeared on a roundtable stream with journalists to defend himself and disappeared as soon as he was asked some tough questions. Then he reversed all of this with some minor modifications to real time location tracking.

This is consistency and transparency? Please. Everyone was obviously just sailing on the winds of Elon Musk's emotional state.

All documented here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ElonJet
Unit2Sucks
Looks like Hunter is suing a bunch of people for docking him. It sounds like BearGoggles is going to rush to defend Hunter given how sensitive he is to doxxing.

I've been wondering for a while why there hasn't been any discussion of how his information was misappropriated. Should be interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/politics/hunter-biden-laptop-contents-letter/index.html

Quote:

In the letter to Delaware Attorney General Kathy Jennings, Hunter Biden's attorneys accuse computer repair shop owner John Paul Mac Isaac of unauthorized access of the laptop and distributing its contents to the New York Post for a story published in the weeks before the 2020 election. Mac Isaac has said in a memoir and media interviews that he received the laptop at his store from Hunter Biden in 2019.

"This failed dirty political trick directly resulted in the exposure, exploitation, and manipulation of Mr. Biden's private and personal information. Mr. Mac Isaac's intentional, reckless, and unlawful conduct allowed for hundreds of gigabytes of Mr. Biden's personal data, without any discretion, to be circulated around the Internet," Hunter Biden's attorney Abbe Lowell wrote in the letter.

The letter asks for investigations into Garrett Ziegler, John Paul Mac Isaac, Robert Costello, Rudy Giuliani and Stephen Bannon. CNN has reached out to each of these individuals or their lawyers for comment. CNN has also reached out to the Justice Department, the IRS, and the Delaware attorney general's office.
movielover
First hapless Biden 'works' for a bank. Then he 'consults' for energy companies in a corrupt nation. Next, investing Billions for CCP Chinese companies. And then mysterious (NSA???) mapping? All in between crack pipe hits.

oski003
movielover said:

First hapless Biden 'works' for a bank. Then he 'consults' for energy companies in a corrupt nation. Next, investing Billions for CCP Chinese companies. And then mysterious (NSA???) mapping? All in between crack pipe hits.

That's an alarming article. The Bidens have some serious explaining to do.
movielover
How far did you get into the RussiaGate / Mueller fraud / illegal FBI FISAs?

The ultimate document in the widespread government illegal acts is Judge Rosemary Collyer's 99-page legal finding (summary). Her "Memorandum Opinion and Order" was drafted with the help of Admiral Mike Rogers, then the head of the NSA, and details outside goverment contractors accessing the NSAs powerful database tens of thousands of times. (The published document is heavily redacted.)

An Analyst at the NSA tipped off Admiral Rogers to some unusual database observations. Admiral Rogers authorized a deeper dive, and the illegal access was uncovered. (It has been speculated that FusionGPS and Crowdstrike were likely two of those contractors.)

Admiral Rogers disabled one portion of the query capability due to these illegal acts.

If there is one document I could declassify, it's this one.

NATIONAL SECURITY
Secret court rebukes NSA for 5-year illegal surveillance of U.S. citizens

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article152947909.html

Memorandum Opinion and Order https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/icotr/51117/2016_Cert_FISC_Memo_Opin_Order_Apr_2017.pdf

It's been a while since I delved into it, but sharp citizen journalists / investigators I read hypothesized the information gathered from our NSA database was being sold. I instantly thought of that when I saw that tweet.
movielover
Cow-llision with a Tesla.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/images-loose-cow-collides-with-tesla-in-pleasanton/
okaydo
movielover
$28 Million here, $28 Million there, it all adds up. Plus cut overhead 75%.
movielover
Eastern Oregon Bear
I'd be interested in hearing from the Elon Musk worshipers about this "censorship". Twitter banned the account of Sen. Steve Daines of Montana because his profile picture showed the Senator and his wife hunting and posing with a kill showing a small amount of blood. Apparently it was deemed NSFW and thus the account was banned.

Sen. Daines's Twitter account suspended after posting profile picture of himself hunting
oski003

I'd be interested in hearing from the Elon Musk worshipers about this "censorship". Twitter banned the account of Sen. Steve Daines of Montana because his profile picture showed the Senator and his wife hunting and posing with a kill showing a small amount of blood. Apparently it was deemed NSFW and thus the account was banned.

Sen. Daines's Twitter account suspended after posting profile picture of himself hunting

It is pretty clear:

According to an aide to the senator, Daines' account was suspended due to his profile picture, which had shown Daines and his wife posing while hunting. A separate campaign account for Daines with a different profile picture was unaffected.

A message from Twitter notifying Daines of his suspension, obtained by CNN, shows the company had determined the profile picture violated Twitter's rule against "graphic violence or adult content in profile images...

The intent is to avoid people being forced to see gruesome profile pics."
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

It is pretty clear:

According to an aide to the senator, Daines' account was suspended due to his profile picture, which had shown Daines and his wife posing while hunting. A separate campaign account for Daines with a different profile picture was unaffected.

A message from Twitter notifying Daines of his suspension, obtained by CNN, shows the company had determined the profile picture violated Twitter's rule against "graphic violence or adult content in profile images...

Yep, that's one gruesome image. I'm glad Elon Musk and Twitter is keeping it from our sensitive eyes.

dimitrig

oski003 said:

It is pretty clear:

Yep, that's one gruesome image. I'm glad Elon Musk and Twitter is keeping it from our sensitive eyes.

A lot of people find the idea of two yahoos grinning over the carcass of an animal they killed for fun to be sick.

DiabloWags
dimitrig said:

A lot of people find the idea of two yahoos grinning over the carcass of an animal they killed for fun to be sick.

Not if you're a Trump supporter like Daines and others.
Guns and God!

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
movielover
Meanwhile, Democratic Presidential hopeful:

New York Post: Kamala Harris blasted for praising BLM as 'essential' and 'brilliant' amid violence

https://nypost.com/2020/09/26/kamala-harris-blasted-for-praising-blm-as-essential-and-brilliant-amid-violence/

Well, they did raise money for the Democrats while dozens were killed while cities were looted and burned.
Eastern Oregon Bear
dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

It is pretty clear:

I agree with that. I'm OK with hunting to put food on the table, but hunting to hang something on your wall is just stupid.

My not very well expressed point about this photo was that when Elon Musk took over Twitter there were a lot of gleeful posts about the end of censorship on Twitter. Nonsense. We've just traded one version of censorship for Elon Musk's version of censorship. The above image is just the latest example. That's about as family friendly as any hunting photo is going to be. Twitter might as well say posting any hunting photo is grounds for banning that account.
oski003

dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

It is pretty clear:

I agree with that. I'm OK with hunting to put food on the table, but hunting to hang something on your wall is just stupid.

My not very well expressed point about this photo was that when Elon Musk took over Twitter there were a lot of gleeful posts about the end of censorship on Twitter. Nonsense. We've just traded one version of censorship for Elon Musk's version of censorship. The above image is just the latest example. That's about as family friendly as any hunting photo is going to be. Twitter might as well say posting any hunting photo is grounds for banning that account.

Your post is nonsense. It isn't a posted picture. It is a profile photo. We traded arbitrary secretive viewpoint based censorship for transparent objective censorship.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

It is pretty clear:

Your post is nonsense. It isn't a posted picture. It is a profile photo. We traded arbitrary secretive viewpoint based censorship for transparent objective censorship.
Well, at least you admit both versions are censorship.
Cal88
Cal88
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

Without knowing who she was I assumed she was a Republican.

Yep, she is a representative from South Carolina.

Weird how mostly RWNJs have all these vaccine side effects.

Interestingly, they are also the ones more likely to die of COVID.

movielover
Excess deaths in many countries. Studies show with increased shots come increased problems.
Cal88
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

45 year old fit woman experiences heart pain.

You think her chronic heart pain is psychosomatic?
bearister
https://media.zenfs.com/en/video.storyful.com/6e1c4ef4620330e26d124ad7ad6600fa
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

45 year old fit woman experiences heart pain.

You think her chronic heart pain is psychosomatic?

I think her chronic heart pain could be explained by the fact she had long-haul COVID just as well as it could have been the vaccine she took. The plural of anecdote is not data.
MinotStateBeav
Elon just buried Yoel Roth lol

movielover
okaydo

dajo9
This is what Elmo Musk bought with Twitter

American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

This is what Elmo Musk bought with Twitter

When will Fox get banned from Twitter for doxxing Elno's location in real time? Remember when conservatives used to pretend this was a thing?

DiabloWags
WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
oski003
DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

Rihanna was "doxxed" last night too. I don't see a lot of outrage from people who can't tell the difference between live broadcasting of someone's travel whereabouts versus showing a picture of someone at a public place. Perhaps, people aren't as dumb as you thing they are? Maybe they can tell an apple from an orange.
AunBear89
Riiiiiight. Because a football stadium filled with 10s of thousands of random is much safer than a private jet landing at a federally protected airport and using a private terminal at said airport.

All some allegedly smart people have is false equivalency.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Riiiiiight. Because a football stadium filled with 10s of thousands of random is much safer than a private jet landing at a federally protected airport and using a private terminal at said airport.

All some allegedly smart people have is false equivalency.

Whether or not Elon chooses to take a risk by being in a public place is irrelevant as to whether or not he should allow someone to live broadcast details of plane departures and arrivals on a platform he runs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.