Now that Elon will own twitter on Friday or Monday..

125,223 Views | 1694 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by chazzed
WalterSobchak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
WalterSobchak
BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

Rihanna was "doxxed" last night too. I don't see a lot of outrage from people who can't tell the difference between live broadcasting of someone's travel whereabouts versus showing a picture of someone at a public place. Perhaps, people aren't as dumb as you thing they are? Maybe they can tell an apple from an orange.
I'm used to Unit2 arguing in bad faith, but this is literally one of the worst reasoned arguments he's made on this board. People can choose to appear in PUBLIC or otherwise choose to disclose their own real time personal information. It doesn't give a third party the right to do that. It is not hard.
It sure seems hard for you to grasp that third parties explicitly DO have that right.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
Eastern Oregon Bear
WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

Rihanna was "doxxed" last night too. I don't see a lot of outrage from people who can't tell the difference between live broadcasting of someone's travel whereabouts versus showing a picture of someone at a public place. Perhaps, people aren't as dumb as you thing they are? Maybe they can tell an apple from an orange.
I'm used to Unit2 arguing in bad faith, but this is literally one of the worst reasoned arguments he's made on this board. People can choose to appear in PUBLIC or otherwise choose to disclose their own real time personal information. It doesn't give a third party the right to do that. It is not hard.
It sure seems hard for you to grasp that third parties explicitly DO have that right.
Grandpa, backyard, sky, fist waving, etc.
dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

Elon speaking at the "World Government Summit" states..we don't want to have too much world government.

I'm not in favor of a world government but I'd rather have that than the billionaire rule promoted by Elmo Musk, Rupert Murdoch, and Donald Trump.
American Vermin
dimitrig
dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Elon speaking at the "World Government Summit" states..we don't want to have too much world government.

I'm not in favor of a world government but I'd rather have that than the billionaire rule promoted by Elmo Musk, Rupert Murdoch, and Donald Trump.

The thing is that these words government conspiracy theorists think there is some cabal of people who want to impose a world state upon us unwilling subjects and yet somehow that group of shadowy figures would NOT include the richest men in the world. Yeah, right.

sycasey
dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

The thing is that these words government conspiracy theorists think there is some cabal of people who want to impose a world state upon us unwilling subjects and yet somehow that group of shadowy figures would NOT include the richest men in the world. Yeah, right.

In general all of these people give way too much credit to the competence of world governments keeping their houses in order. In reality, something almost always tends to leak out if there is really bad stuff going on.
MinotStateBeav
dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Conspiracy theories seem to be the thing now. Russia and Trump, J6 was an insurrection lol. Buffalo Horns guy almost overthrew our government! No way our government was doing an end around the first amendment with big tech to silence dissent. Totally a conspiracy!
AunBear89
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearGoggles
WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

I'm not saying the third party should go to jail for sharing public information though in extreme cases (not applicable here), that could happen.

https://esfandilawfirm.com/what-is-doxxing/#:~:text=The%20Anti%2DDoxxing%20Law%20of%20California&text=A%20maximum%20fine%20of%20up,against%20anybody%20under%20this%20law.

This entire argument is about Musk/Twitter choosing to not allow that on their platform and then being criticized for it by people like you and Unit 2 .

I am saying that: (i) most internet companies have policies against doxxing even if its is not criminal (including this website); (ii) the fact that a third party can obtain real time information from public information doesn't mean an internet company like Twitter or Facebook (or Bearinsider) will allow you to post it - they will not; and (iii) there is a huge distinction between a person choosing to disclose their own location in public (e.g., by tweeting about it or being shown on TV) vs. a third party disclosing real time geolocation information that has not been broadcast by the individual.

So unit2 posting that Elon and Rihanna "doxxed themselves" by appearing in public at the super bowl has literally no bearing on whether said parties have forfeited the right to object to being doxxed on social media in other circumstances. It is another bad faith argument.

Most people here would not be ok with a third party identifying them by real name and then following them around town and broadcasting their location in real time (or that of their family). This is not hard.
WalterSobchak
BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

I'm not saying the third party should go to jail for sharing public information though in extreme cases (not applicable here), that could happen.

https://esfandilawfirm.com/what-is-doxxing/#:~:text=The%20Anti%2DDoxxing%20Law%20of%20California&text=A%20maximum%20fine%20of%20up,against%20anybody%20under%20this%20law.

This entire argument is about Musk/Twitter choosing to not allow that on their platform and then being criticized for it by people like you and Unit 2 .

I am saying that: (i) most internet companies have policies against doxxing even if its is not criminal (including this website); (ii) the fact that a third party can obtain real time information from public information doesn't mean an internet company like Twitter or Facebook (or Bearinsider) will allow you to post it - they will not; and (iii) there is a huge distinction between a person choosing to disclose their own location in public (e.g., by tweeting about it or being shown on TV) vs. a third party disclosing real time geolocation information that has not been broadcast by the individual.

So unit2 posting that Elon and Rihanna "doxxed themselves" by appearing in public at the super bowl has literally no bearing on whether said parties have forfeited the right to object to being doxxed on social media in other circumstances. It is another bad faith argument.

Most people here would not be ok with a third party identifying them by real name and then following them around town and broadcasting their location in real time (or that of their family). This is not hard.
Nobody is following Musk around town or identifying him by real name. But you know that. The sole issue is criticism of Musk for lying about his intentions for Twitter policy on this issue, which, as 003 so eloquently admitted "is valid criticism" that you guys refuse to address head on, err sorry, "haven't really opined on."

We agree at least that Cal. Pen. Code 653.2 by its own terms has literally no possibility of application here. Not sure why you even mention it just to (correctly) immediately dismiss it. Odd.

BearGoggles
WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

Nobody is following Musk around town or identifying him by real name. But you know that. The sole issue is criticism of Musk for lying about his intentions for Twitter policy on this issue, which, as 003 so eloquently admitted "is valid criticism" that you guys refuse to address head on, err sorry, "haven't really opined on."

We agree at least that Cal. Pen. Code 653.2 by its own terms has literally no possibility of application here. Not sure why you even mention it just to (correctly) immediately dismiss it. Odd.

I mentioned the penal code because you had contended third parties have the "right" to dox/disclose publicly available information. Per the penal code (and other laws related to stalking), that is not always the case. There is also a distinction between legal right (i.e., is it criminal) vs the right to do something on a private social media site (where this type of doxxing is almost never permitted).

And no, it is not the "sole" criticism of Musk that he lied (or changed his mind) about the Twitter policy on this issue. Certainly that is not Unit2's argument/complaint. In fact, that does not appear to be your principle complaint.

movielover
Why can't you just say you don't like Musk since he left the Democrat plantation? All this nit picking.

Someone rightly mentioned, I'm sure many ome addresses are in phone books or online. But we don't post that here or on Twitter or other social networks. Same for Musk. Common sense says if we keep publicly posting his real-time flight location on Twitter, some nut will try to track him down.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

And no, it is not the "sole" criticism of Musk that he lied (or changed his mind) about the Twitter policy on this issue.

It's not the sole criticism, but it is one that has been raised repeatedly and that Musk's defenders seemingly don't want to address.
WalterSobchak
movielover said:

Someone rightly mentioned, I'm sure many ome addresses are in phone books or online.
Yeah I wonder who that brilliant, handsome poster was? I should buy that guy a beer!

oski003
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

And no, it is not the "sole" criticism of Musk that he lied (or changed his mind) about the Twitter policy on this issue.

It's not the sole criticism, but it is one that has been raised repeatedly and that Musk's defenders seemingly don't want to address.

I will address it. Not everything Musk does is perfect. I will, however, defend invalid criticism of him.
WalterSobchak
BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

I mentioned the penal code because you had contended third parties have the "right" to dox/disclose publicly available information. Per the penal code (and other laws related to stalking), that is not always the case. There is also a distinction between legal right (i.e., is it criminal) vs the right to do something on a private social media site (where this type of doxxing is almost never permitted).

And no, it is not the "sole" criticism of Musk that he lied (or changed his mind) about the Twitter policy on this issue. Certainly that is not Unit2's argument/complaint. In fact, that does not appear to be your principle complaint.

The stalking and cyberstalking statutes have essential elements that cannot ever be met by automated jet trackers. They are quite literally inapposite here.

My principal complaint is that you insist on acting like there's a legal issue here when there is none.

Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

My point still stands and has been unrebutted. If Elno really thought that his real-time location information created a security risk for him, he wouldn't constantly post it (and re-design the algorithm to expand his reach) on the social media platform he owns.

Further, pretending (as you and others have) that posting the location of his airplane is the same thing as posting his real-time location is non-sensical. According to the tracker his jet is in Oakland but none of us have any idea where Elno is right now unless he happened to post it on twitter, which he does a few times per week.

My position has always been and remains that Elno's complaint is that this jet tracker is a subjective violation of his privacy. Whether he had a reasonable expectation of privacy or not is irrelevant because this is subjective. This isn't a security threat (which some people have disingenuously claimed) and this isn't "doxxing" in any way. No amount of pretending that this is something that it isn't will make those arguments legitimate. Jet tracking is not the same as putting an airtag in someone's backpack and following them around. All it tells us is that his plane goes back and forth between Tesla/SpaceX/Twitter offices. Big freaking deal.

And by the way, this isn't a unique problem to Elno. There are other high-profile people who have figured out how to operate without this risk. For example, Kelly Loeffler, the unqualified appointed senator in Georgia from a few years ago, was heavily criticized for taking advantage of a Trump tax break for the purchase of her private jet. That's not the relevant part though, this is:
Quote:

Records show the plane is chartered under TVPX Aircraft Solutions, which specializes in a form of "owner trust" that some in the business aviation industry have adopted. Among the benefits of the system, the company says on its website, is offering U.S. clients "anonymity."

Indeed, the plane was listed as "not available for public tracking per request from the owner/operator" on Flight Aware, a commonly used flight-tracking system.

BearGoggles
WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

The stalking and cyberstalking statutes have essential elements that cannot ever be met by automated jet trackers. They are quite literally inapposite here.

My principal complaint is that you insist on acting like there's a legal issue here when there is none.
I've said MANY times it is not a legal issue. I've repeatedly said it was a terms of service issue. Doxing is not permitted on any major website - twitter, facebook, this website, etc.
BearGoggles
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

I will address it. Not everything Musk does is perfect. I will, however, defend invalid criticism of him.
Exactly. He changed the twitter policy - in part because he and his family were in fact being stalked. He didn't just change the policy as it applied to him. The new doxxing rules apply to everyone.

And more importantly, Musk announced the changed policy. For better or worse, he owned it and didn't make the change without subjecting twitter and himself to debate/criticism.

Rather funny that liberals are suddenly very concerned about the fair and consistent application of twitter moderation policies and sudden changes thereto.
Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

I've said MANY times it is not a legal issue. I've repeatedly said it was a terms of service issue. Doxing is not permitted on any major website - twitter, facebook, this website, etc.
As you noted in your subsequent post, it only became a TOS issue when he changed the TOS to specifically prevent this activity because he subjectively felt that it violated his privacy. I don't think it's fair to say it was a terms of service issue when it obviously wasn't when Elno first began complaining about it (setting aside the flip flopping he did on the issue, which is just part of the Elno mystique). This isn't really a TOS issue it's a guy-who-owns-the-service-issue.

And for what it's worth, the new policy means every single tweet that says "I just saw this famous person at starbucks" or whatever is now a violation of the TOS (with certain exceptions) but I doubt it's enforced.

The whole thing is even more ridiculous when you focus on the fact that the kid was "doxxing" an airplane, not humans.
BearGoggles
Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

My point still stands and has been unrebutted. If Elno really thought that his real-time location information created a security risk for him, he wouldn't constantly post it (and re-design the algorithm to expand his reach) on the social media platform he owns.

Further, pretending (as you and others have) that posting the location of his airplane is the same thing as posting his real-time location is non-sensical. According to the tracker his jet is in Oakland but none of us have any idea where Elno is right now unless he happened to post it on twitter, which he does a few times per week.

My position has always been and remains that Elno's complaint is that this jet tracker is a subjective violation of his privacy. Whether he had a reasonable expectation of privacy or not is irrelevant because this is subjective. This isn't a security threat (which some people have disingenuously claimed) and this isn't "doxxing" in any way. No amount of pretending that this is something that it isn't will make those arguments legitimate. Jet tracking is not the same as putting an airtag in someone's backpack and following them around. All it tells us is that his plane goes back and forth between Tesla/SpaceX/Twitter offices. Big freaking deal.

And by the way, this isn't a unique problem to Elno. There are other high-profile people who have figured out how to operate without this risk. For example, Kelly Loeffler, the unqualified appointed senator in Georgia from a few years ago, was heavily criticized for taking advantage of a Trump tax break for the purchase of her private jet. That's not the relevant part though, this is:
Quote:

Records show the plane is chartered under TVPX Aircraft Solutions, which specializes in a form of "owner trust" that some in the business aviation industry have adopted. Among the benefits of the system, the company says on its website, is offering U.S. clients "anonymity."

Indeed, the plane was listed as "not available for public tracking per request from the owner/operator" on Flight Aware, a commonly used flight-tracking system.

So many logical fallacies in this post.

Maybe when Musk posts about his location - again his choice - he takes additional security measures that he doesn't take 24/7? I can think of 100s of reason why celebrities/public figures sometimes post their real-time location and at other times don't want that information known. You're argument that a person posting their location/appearing in public is a permanent waiver of the right to object to others doing so at a different time is just silly.

Where are Nancy and Paul Pelosi tonight? If i started following them 24/7 and posting that information, do you think I'd be visited by the secret service or worse? Of course I would.

Beyond that, it is not just Musk that is a target. His entire family is potentially a target - largely because people on the left feel completely justified in harassing their political opponents (or doing worse). The fact that his plane is parked in oakland tonight is largely irrelevant. When its moving, there's a good chance he, his family, or someone close to him is on that plane. The issue is tracking its real time movement, not where it is parked.

Its great that you think the security risks are no big deal and that Elon is exercising his "subjective" right/views. But the reality is that every social media site has a policy similar to Twitters revised policy.

Here is facebook changing its to no longer allow the posting of publicly available residential addresses:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/10/23019046/meta-no-longer-allow-private-residential-address-doxxing-facebook-instagram-oversight-board

Why did FB make that change? Precisely because they recognize that spreading publicly available information on social media presents a security risk.

And yes, disclosing real time location on social medial is doxxing by any reasonable definition. Revealing personal information - even if derived from a public source - is considered doxxing. With enough investigating, I'm guessing I could determine - from PUBLICLY available information - the names and addresses of many people posting on this website. Yet that clearly would be against the board's terms of service and considered doxxing. And if I used that information to then post your real time location, how would that not also be doxxing?

Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

Quote:

Maybe when Musk posts about his location - again his choice - he takes additional security measures that he doesn't take 24/7? I can think of 100s of reason why celebrities/public figures sometimes post their real-time location and at other times don't want that information known. You're argument that a person posting their location/appearing in public is a permanent waiver of the right to object to others doing so at a different time is just silly.

Where are Nancy and Paul Pelosi tonight? If i started following them 24/7 and posting that information, do you think I'd be visited by the secret service or worse? Of course I would.

Beyond that, it is not just Musk that is a target. His entire family is potentially a target - largely because people on the left feel completely justified in harassing their political opponents (or doing worse). The fact that his plane is parked in oakland tonight is largely irrelevant. When its moving, there's a good chance he, his family, or someone close to him is on that plane. The issue is tracking its real time movement, not where it is parked.

Its great that you think the security risks are no big deal and that Elon is exercising his "subjective" right/views. But the reality is that every social media site has a policy similar to Twitters revised policy.

Here is facebook changing its to no longer allow the posting of publicly available residential addresses:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/10/23019046/meta-no-longer-allow-private-residential-address-doxxing-facebook-instagram-oversight-board

Why did FB make that change? Precisely because they recognize that spreading publicly available information on social media presents a security risk.

And yes, disclosing real time location on social medial is doxxing by any reasonable definition. Revealing personal information - even if derived from a public source - is considered doxxing. With enough investigating, I'm guessing I could determine - from PUBLICLY available information - the names and addresses of many people posting on this website. Yet that clearly would be against the board's terms of service and considered doxxing. And if I used that information to then post your real time location, how would that not also be doxxing?

Awesome points. I happen to know that certain posters on this site (I don't want to doxx them so I won't say who they are) will be in a specific location in Berkeley several saturdays this fall.

Without false equivalences, your argument boils down to Elno not wanting people to know where his plane is. That's it. No one ever argued that a stalker should be able to follow him personally 24/7 and post the real-time location information on Twitter.

Elno and his family's real-time location is not the same as the location of his plane. The twitter tracker (to my knowledge) was the same as this tracker (which also exists on Truth Social, Instagram, Telegram and other platforms). It's not a "real-time" tracker - it merely says that his plane has taken off from an airport or landed at one. The information becomes stale almost immediately and certainly doesn't pose an actual security threat.

You can dance around this issue as much as you want with false equivalences but you won't win this argument.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

Exactly. He changed the twitter policy - in part because he and his family were in fact being stalked. He didn't just change the policy as it applied to him. The new doxxing rules apply to everyone.

And more importantly, Musk announced the changed policy. For better or worse, he owned it and didn't make the change without subjecting twitter and himself to debate/criticism.

Rather funny that liberals are suddenly very concerned about the fair and consistent application of twitter moderation policies and sudden changes thereto.

But again he specifically said he would not ban this account. Presumably he knew what it was before buying the company. Then he went back on that in an apparent fit of pique.

I think it was always hard to fairly apply Twitter policies across the board, because Twitter is so damn big. That's something Elon is also finding out now. I will say that I prefer Twitter policies to be up for review by a group of people and not subject to one man's whims, but that's how it goes sometimes. It's a private company.
Ursine
sycasey said:

Ursine said:

sycasey said:

How it started:

How it's going:

People say he overpaid for Twitter, but who knew he'd get 49 million registered Democrats thrown in for free with the deal?
Is this supposed to be funny?
The best humor has the most truth in it. Hardly a day goes by when someone on here isn't crying about something Musk did. The only guy who owned you folks more completely than that was Trump.
movielover
What were all these individuals feelings towards Musk before he embraced Free Speech (and upset the Woke crowd)?
sycasey
Ursine said:

sycasey said:

Ursine said:

sycasey said:

How it started:

How it's going:

People say he overpaid for Twitter, but who knew he'd get 49 million registered Democrats thrown in for free with the deal?
Is this supposed to be funny?
The best humor has the most truth in it. Hardly a day goes by when someone on here isn't crying about something Musk did. The only guy who owned you folks more completely than that was Trump.

I see now. You're claiming that Musk now "owns" all the Democrats. Thanks for explaining.

I legitimately did not understand the formulation of your joke in its original form. I was like, Musk paid for Democrats to be on Twitter? What?
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

I don't think it should matter whether Musk is being criticized by invalids or by healthy people.
WalterSobchak
BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

You've also said many times that it is a legal issue. If something isn't illegal then people have a right to do it. You've repeatedly insisted people don't have a right to do this. You are wrong.

You say doxxing isn't allowed on any major website, but that has nothing to do with this. Jet tracking is not doxxing and is neither illegal nor prohibited on most major websites. It's also ironic that you keep mentioning this website, where Greg doxxes himself on every single page.

BearGoggles
WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

You've also said many times that it is a legal issue. If something isn't illegal then people have a right to do it. You've repeatedly insisted people don't have a right to do this. You are wrong.

You say doxxing isn't allowed on any major website, but that has nothing to do with this. Jet tracking is not doxxing and is neither illegal nor prohibited on most major websites. It's also ironic that you keep mentioning this website, where Greg doxxes himself on every single page.

I've never said that Musk's case was a legal issue.

And you are wrong in your formulation of "rights". Just because something isn't illegal, it doesn't necessarily mean people have the "right to do it" in all contexts. There are many, many, MANY, things that are legal but: (i) not permitted on social media websites; and/or (ii) heavily regulated and/or prohibited in certain other contexts. As an example, it is not illegal for me to interfere with your business or contractual relationships or to libel/slander you - I have the "right" to do those things. Not illegal - I won't go to jail. But you absolutely could sue me for doing so.

Also, you clearly don't understand what doxxing is if you: (i) think a person can dox themself; and (ii) think that releasing a third party's real time geolocation information or other information, even if derived from public sources, can never be doxxing. Why does facebook ban the publication of residential addresses even if derived from public sources?

BearGoggles
Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

Quote:

Awesome points. I happen to know that certain posters on this site (I don't want to doxx them so I won't say who they are) will be in a specific location in Berkeley several saturdays this fall.

Without false equivalences, your argument boils down to Elno not wanting people to know where his plane is. That's it. No one ever argued that a stalker should be able to follow him personally 24/7 and post the real-time location information on Twitter.

Elno and his family's real-time location is not the same as the location of his plane. The twitter tracker (to my knowledge) was the same as this tracker (which also exists on Truth Social, Instagram, Telegram and other platforms). It's not a "real-time" tracker - it merely says that his plane has taken off from an airport or landed at one. The information becomes stale almost immediately and certainly doesn't pose an actual security threat.

You can dance around this issue as much as you want with false equivalences but you won't win this argument.
You're the one dancing by claiming that Musk (and other public figures) don't have real security concerns while, at the same time, declining to let a third party track you on social media. You're the one drawing a false equivalence by advocating for standards and practices you wouldn't tolerate for yourself or your tribe.

My position is consistent - I don't think anyone's real time geolocation information should be disclosed on social media by third parties without the consent of the first party.

Notably, you didn't respond substantively to explain the facebook policy (which was explicitly adopted for security reasons) or for that matter if it would be ok for me to follow the Pelosis around.
BearGoggles
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

But again he specifically said he would not ban this account. Presumably he knew what it was before buying the company. Then he went back on that in an apparent fit of pique.

I think it was always hard to fairly apply Twitter policies across the board, because Twitter is so damn big. That's something Elon is also finding out now. I will say that I prefer Twitter policies to be up for review by a group of people and not subject to one man's whims, but that's how it goes sometimes. It's a private company.
It really depends on the group, doesn't it?

We just saw the "group" that was previously reviewing twitter policies testify before congress. There was zero transparency with that group and there was complete political group think. Not much respect for First Amendment traditions or principles. Also a lot of governmental pressure applied to said group.

If the choice is one accountable individual vs a group that operates in secret, without standards, then I know what I'd pick. With Musk, at least you know who is responsible (in a larger sense).

You didn't like what he did with the account ban and knew exactly who to blame. How does that compare to the pre-Musk time where many people were banned/censored by the anonymous "group" with little or no accountability and no public explanation?

Big picture - this is the reason why there should be as little censorship as possible. There is no one who can plausibly and without bias moderate political thought. Certainly not anyone subject to government influence, as Twitter and the other social media companies have been.

To the maximum extent possible, let the marketplace of ideas reign free.
WalterSobchak
BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

I've never said that Musk's case was a legal issue.

And you are wrong in your formulation of "rights". Just because something isn't illegal, it doesn't necessarily mean people have the "right to do it" in all contexts. There are many, many, MANY, things that are legal but: (i) not permitted on social media websites; and/or (ii) heavily regulated and/or prohibited in certain other contexts. As an example, it is not illegal for me to interfere with your business or contractual relationships or to libel/slander you - I have the "right" to do those things. Not illegal - I won't go to jail. But you absolutely could sue me for doing so.

Also, you clearly don't understand what doxxing is if you: (i) think a person can dox themself; and (ii) think that releasing a third party's real time geolocation information or other information, even if derived from public sources, can never be doxxing. Why does facebook ban the publication of residential addresses even if derived from public sources?
This is hilarious. So now you're on to torts? Rights vs "Rights" LOL Anybody can sue anybody for anything. Here I'll do what you do, interject another irrelevant area of law: Do people have the right to breach contracts? What's that famous phrase, "contracts are made to be..." how does it end? But can I sue you for breaching a contract? Does it mean I will win? Do plaintiffs always win? Do all complaints make it past demurrer or mts? Why even have the procedure then? I've won on this, haven't you? Had the plaintiff dismiss with prejudice after I got done bashing him around. Gotta up your game I guess.

And I don't much care why Facebook does things. There are plenty of person search websites that DO publish address info and much much more. They don't get sued or arrested. Wonder why?

Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearGoggles said:

WalterSobchak said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE???

Quote:

You're the one dancing by claiming that Musk (and other public figures) don't have real security concerns while, at the same time, declining to let a third party track you on social media. You're the one drawing a false equivalence by advocating for standards and practices you wouldn't tolerate for yourself or your tribe.

My position is consistent - I don't think anyone's real time geolocation information should be disclosed on social media by third parties without the consent of the first party.

Notably, you didn't respond substantively to explain the facebook policy (which was explicitly adopted for security reasons) or for that matter if it would be ok for me to follow the Pelosis around.
Do you have anything other than false equivalences? There is literally no reasonable security concern in connection with the ElonJet twitter account. It wasn't actually a real-time location tracker on his plane and it certainly was not a real-time location tracker on Elno or his family members. You can false equivalent to your heart's content but you will never convince anyone who is paying attention that your false equivalence is true. It's false and you know it.

And further, the original jet tracker remains in its original form in a number of popular social media properties, including several that are more popular than Twitter.

It seems like you've dug in on an obviously untenable position and have decided to embarrass yourself by sticking to it. I mean, FFS you've been debased yourself to pretend that it was a violation of the Twitter TOS when Elno literally changed the TOS just to shut this account down.

If you want to make a better false equivalence with my behavior, we can examine what I would do if I were the richest person in the world and decided I didn't want anyone to publicize the location of my private plane. I would do what Kelly Loeffler and other people do to prevent it. I would also have a security team like every other multi billionaire and I would make rational decisions. I wouldn't take the silly position you have taken to pretend like tweets saying that my plane took off from X airport or landed at Y airport present an actual security risk. And I sure as hell wouldn't post my real-time whereabouts constantly on Twitter while pretending I didn't want people to know where I was. It's not that hard but you've managed to completely bungle the argument for reasons I can't surmise and this has caused you to assume some pretty ridiculous false equivalences.

I appreciate you continuing to fight here because I enjoy the turkey shoot.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

We just saw the "group" that was previously reviewing twitter policies testify before congress. There was zero transparency with that group and there was complete political group think. Not much respect for First Amendment traditions or principles. Also a lot of governmental pressure applied to said group.

If the choice is one accountable individual vs a group that operates in secret, without standards, then I know what I'd pick. With Musk, at least you know who is responsible (in a larger sense).

You didn't like what he did with the account ban and knew exactly who to blame. How does that compare to the pre-Musk time where many people were banned/censored by the anonymous "group" with little or no accountability and no public explanation?

Big picture - this is the reason why there should be as little censorship as possible. There is no one who can plausibly and without bias moderate political thought. Certainly not anyone subject to government influence, as Twitter and the other social media companies have been.

So by that standard, Musk should have let the jet account stay. Like he originally promised he would.
BearGoggles
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

So by that standard, Musk should have let the jet account stay. Like he originally promised he would.
Not if he felt it was a security risk or otherwise was doxxing - hence "to the maximum extent possible" qualifier.

Musk felt his security was at risk and felt others' security would be at risk due to these types of disclosures. FB has adopted similar policies re posting of otherwise "public information" for exactly the same type of personal security reasons. So Musk is not alone.

Unit2 is going to keep posting his conclusory opinion that there was "no security risk" because he can't acknowledge that others (including facebook) disagree. He won't answer what he would do if his family (or members of his political tribe) faced the same sort of doxxing/disclosure of real time geolocation information. I imagine Nancy and Paul Pelosi agree with me, not Unit2.

Musk/Twitter adopted the policy. Fine to criticize him for changing his mind - which incidentally happened after his family's car was stalked. Maybe that changed his mind? In any event, there are real security risks and many (if not most) social media websites don't permit the disclosure of personal information - even if derived from public sources.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.