Now that Elon will own twitter on Friday or Monday..

125,792 Views | 1694 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by chazzed
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

This whole blue check debacle shows that Musk truly does not understand the incentives of social media. The whole purpose of the blue check was that it represented VERIFICATION: if you saw a Tweet from, say, LeBron James, the check meant you knew it was actually from him (or at least an account controlled by him). Anyone without a check mark was fake.

To make the whole thing pay-for-play with no verification removes the whole benefit. Anyone can just pay eight bucks and pretend to be LeBron. Why would any celebrity or media organization want to pay for that kind of "service?"

Maybe if they had just opened up the blue check process to everyone (with payment) but as part of it forced them to provide legal identification and use their real names, that would work. Blue checks for celebrities and reporters and also random nobodies would at least all be consistently accurate, and some people would want to pay.

But Elon is too galaxy-brained for that. Now he's made it so no one wants to pay (not even Catturd). Amazing.

It is against their policy. Is nobody enforcing it?

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-impersonation-and-deceptive-identities-policy

I have tried hard to understand how this has anything to do with my point, but I have failed.

l003 gonna 003.

You can do better than this.

Unfortunately, I don't think he can.
sycasey
LOL

sycasey
LOL again.

chazzed
sycasey said:

LOL again.

Is anybody really surprised?
MinotStateBeav
has little to do with twitter files though..so the "Lol" is kind of stupid. It's about musk deciding to block links to substack, which imho is an absolutely brain dead decision. Taibbi agreed to publish Twitter Files on twitter with the agreement that he'll have access to the files at twitter. Now Musk wants to block the one platform Taibbi uses to write his own articles with. Hopefully Musk reverses this stupid decision.
movielover
Aren't there still several other writers?

They revealed - at minimum - vast government censorship.
sycasey
MinotStateBeav said:

has little to do with twitter files though..so the "Lol" is kind of stupid. It's about musk deciding to block links to substack, which imho is an absolutely brain dead decision. Taibbi agreed to publish Twitter Files on twitter with the agreement that he'll have access to the files at twitter. Now Musk wants to block the one platform Taibbi uses to write his own articles with. Hopefully Musk reverses this stupid decision.

So it looks like I was right that Musk is no free-speech defender.
MinotStateBeav
movielover said:

Aren't there still several other writers?

They revealed - at minimum - vast government censorship.
yeah...substack authors essentially earn income from people buying subscriptions to the different substacks. A lot of pretty great authors on that platform tbh too.
MinotStateBeav
I mean he is...but he's also a capitalist. He see's substack as a competitor instead of seeing it as a site that drives traffic to twitter itself. I believe twitter is essentially trying to create it's own substack like service.
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

I mean he is...but he's also a capitalist. He see's substack as a competitor instead of seeing it as a site that drives traffic to twitter itself. I believe twitter is essentially trying to create it's own substack like service.
I'm looking forward to Twitter's substack like service that limits articles to 280 characters.

Shouldn't Twitter wait until they have their service in place before outlawing Substack?
sycasey
MinotStateBeav said:

So it looks like everyone is willing to sell out free speech when it's beneficial to them. Interesting.
MinotStateBeav
sycasey said:

MinotStateBeav said:

So it looks like everyone is willing to sell out free speech when it's beneficial to them. Interesting.

Not really selling out free speech lol. He didn't shut down substack and Taibbi can say whatever he wants on twitter other than posting the links. I know you want it to be a binary choice so you can criticize musk..so feel free.
okaydo
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

MinotStateBeav said:

I'm looking forward to Twitter's substack like service that limits articles to 280 characters.

Shouldn't Twitter wait until they have their service in place before outlawing Substack?

You mean like this?

sycasey
MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Not really selling out free speech lol. He didn't shut down substack and Taibbi can say whatever he wants on twitter other than posting the links. I know you want it to be a binary choice so you can criticize musk..so feel free.

So this sounds exactly like what the previous Twitter leadership did with the Hunter Biden story. Not censored and any other outlet can still publish any story they want, right? Only now you defend it. Curious.

My point is now and has always been that Musk is no better for "free speech" on Twitter than anyone else who ran that company. Thanks for helping to prove me right.
MinotStateBeav
sycasey said:

MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

MinotStateBeav said:

So this sounds exactly like what the previous Twitter leadership did with the Hunter Biden story. Not censored and any other outlet can still publish any story they want, right? Only now you defend it. Curious.

My point is now and has always been that Musk is no better for "free speech" on Twitter than anyone else who ran that company. Thanks for helping to prove me right.

You can click on his Substack link and you can like the tweet.

Twitter not only wouldn't allow the link to the article to be posted, they locked the NY Post's account for sixteen days.
dajo9
Lyn Alden is talking about Musk and she's right. Free Speech has always been a marketing ploy by him.

American Vermin
MinotStateBeav
Elon vs BBC Reporter hahaha

MinotStateBeav

That's a lot of state governments who don't like twitter.
movielover
DiabloWags
sycasey said:

Rather than monetize what had been a highly coveted feature on Twitter, Elon Musk has managed to make it worthless. Genius at work.

Yup.
At this rate, i's just a matter of time before Twitter becomes MySpace.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
oski003
DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Rather than monetize what had been a highly coveted feature on Twitter, Elon Musk has managed to make it worthless. Genius at work.

Yup.

And Budweiser will become Pabst Blue Ribbon!
dimitrig
DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Yup.

It's already there.
oski003
dimitrig said:

DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Yup.

It's already there.

Twitter has 25x more users than MySpace. Your partisan distortion of facts is adorable. I guess Bud Light is now Natty Light.
dajo9
oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Yup.

It's already there.

Twitter has 25x more users than MySpace. Your partisan distortion of facts is adorable. I guess Bud Light is now Natty Light.

I bet MySpace's portion of total social media use at the time dwarfed what Twitter has now.
American Vermin
DiabloWags
Rupert Murdoch bought MySpace for $580 million in July 2005.

In June of 2006, it had surpassed Yahoo and Google to become the most visited website in the U.S.

At it's peak, MySpace and Facebook reached 115 million users.
By 2019, the site's monthly visitors had dropped to 7 million.

In 2011, Specific Media Group and Justin Timberlake jointly bought MySpace for $35 million.
They sold it to TIME INC for $87 million in 2016.

Time Inc was in turn purchased by Meredith Corp in early 2018.
Meredith spun off MySpace and its original holding company (Viant Technologies) to Viant Technology LLC in 2019.

Twitter had 368 million users last year with 63 million in the U.S.

Myspace - Wikipedia

oski003
dimitrig said:

DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Yup.

It's already there.

In the liberal alternate universe, 14 million is the same as 368 million. Is this what happens when you can't fail a grade?
calpoly
oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Yup.

It's already there.

In the liberal alternate universe, 14 million is the same as 368 million. Is this what happens when you can't fail a grade?
This explains how you graduated from college.
concordtom
I was listening to a financial podcast when the guest suggested that Twitter should be placed into a community information nonprofit and the owner use the nonprofit donation as a massive offset to realized gains.
oski003
calpoly said:

oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Yup.

It's already there.

This explains how you graduated from college.

Berkeley does fail people. I imagine Cal Poly does too. With that being said, 368 million is a lot more than 14 million, even if you emotionally really really wish and feel them to be the same.
movielover
oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Yup.

Bud Lite will be yuuuge for transvestites.
concordtom
movielover said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

sycasey said:

Yup.

Bud Lite will be yuuuge for transvestites.

Yo! I'll drink to that!!

You know what we need, MovieLover?
Education!
Yes, and here's a couple for you!!
Enjoy!!

movielover
DiabloWags
movielover said:

Open mouth.
Insert foot.
And double-down.

See your quotes about Bob Lee's death, Elon.

I used to root for this guy. Now, I just think he's a pompous, arrogant, self-centered, self-serving, hypocritical clown

Note: Time for some Cal Rugby in Moraga.
Hope I can find a parking space.
Go Bears!

BearHunter

These people should be ashamed of themselves. They aren't journalists, they're activists.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Another brain dead decision from the new and improved Twitter. At least they eventually came to their senses.

Twitter limits automated weather alerts from the National Weather Service

From the CNN story:

Quote:

In February, Twitter announced it would limit the number of tweets that can be sent from automated accounts, unless they pay extra, in a move it said was intended to "increase quality, reduce spam, and enable a thriving ecosystem."

The change would have a huge impact on the National Weather Service and other weather entities using automated tweets to send crucial weather alerts, like tornado warnings.

"The reason the automation exists is so that the people at the office don't have to worry about redundantly issuing a tornado warning, then going on to Twitter, and then retyping the same thing," Daryl Herzmann explained. Herzmann is a systems analyst for Iowa Environmental Mesonet and helped create the automation software used on Twitter.

Quote:

Herzmann explained Twitter was going to only allow 50 automated tweets in a 24-hour period. To put it in perspective, his account issued about 16,000 automated tweets on a slow weather day and issued 28,000 on April 4, the day the Midwest was hit with nearly 30 tornado reports.

"Without this automated process, it would take minutes for forecasters to manually prepare warning information into a tweet. For every warning issued, seconds could make the difference between life and death," said NOAA in a statement to CNN.

Quote:

Twitter, which laid off much of its public relations team after Musk took over last year, did not respond to a request for comment.

"Since Elon has basically gutted all the employees, it's impossible to interact with them at a technical level," explained Herzmann. "It's very frustrating."

Twitter originally said there would be no exceptions to its ruling to limit the number of automated tweets. But in a surprising move over the weekend, Twitter has reversed course, saying in a tweet "Twitter will allow the National Weather Service accounts to continue Tweeting weather alerts without limits." The move highlights the importance of weather alerts. Weather warnings save lives.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.