Now that Elon will own twitter on Friday or Monday..

125,789 Views | 1694 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by chazzed
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

Musk has hinted at an all-everything application. Will he take out YT?
He's still wealthy but I don't think he can afford to buy and destroy any more big social media properties. Google isn't worrying about Elno.
Hey now! It's going to be the best vaporware EVER!!!!!!
Ml was suggesting that Elno might purchase YouTube, not create a competitor. I can't imagine the shareholder unrest if he throws himself even deeper into this social media failure by trying to compete with Google.
You could be right. Movielover skips explaining most of the steps in his thought processes. I figured an all encompassing app might involve creating a new video streaming service but buying YouTube would be easier if it was for sale. It might be more cost effective to buy one of the much smaller video streaming services and upgrade it. Most of them are a no moderation free for all already.

Either ML meant by "take out" that Elno would buy YouTube or beat it through a new service. Either notion is preposterous.
movielover
"Take out" - like the mafia, not "buy out".

Not sure how tough it would be to create a new video-sharing site. He has the ability to cross sell via Twitter, and to also approach Rumble, which has a klunky UI.
dimitrig
movielover said:

I thought daily users were up? He's cut 75% or more of staff with the product getting better - more options, no degradation in performance. The liberal execs in San Francisco and elsewhere salted the ground before Musk arrived. Advertisers movement in coming months will be interesting.

The Twitter Files are also exposing what many already logically concluded, vast government censorship, which logically is also transpiring at Google, YouTube, etc.

I know a lot of people who stopped using Twitter or else use it pretty much just to point people somewhere else. Most of them are younger. Is that a demographic Twitter could afford to give up in favor of trailer dwelling white trash red state senior citizens?
dajo9
The twitter experience has changed. It more frequently promotes people you disagree with. Maybe this boosts engagement because rage and hate are the best for engagement.

I never get #fintwit on my TL now. I have to seek it out. Overall, I find it to be a worse product.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
movielover said:

Not sure how tough it would be to create a new video-sharing site. He has the ability to cross sell via Twitter, and to also approach Rumble, which has a klunky UI.

I forgot how familiar Trump fans are with mafia business practices.it's cute that you think Elno could buy Rumble and compete with YouTube.

Don't you think he should be worried about Trump taking out Twitter with Truth Social? I mean after all you believe Trump is a phenomenal business man and quite intelligent. How could Elno even begin to think about taking out a company 10x larger than Twitter when he has Trump and Devin Cow Numes hot on his trail? I hear truth social is raking it in with anti fungal ads and fake supplements! And you must be an investor in truth social right? Congrats on knowing how to spot winners.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

I forgot how familiar Trump fans are with mafia business practices.it's cute that you think Elno could buy Rumble and compete with YouTube.

Don't you think he should be worried about Trump taking out Twitter with Truth Social? I mean after all you believe Trump is a phenomenal business man and quite intelligent. How could Elno even begin to think about taking out a company 10x larger than Twitter when he has Trump and Devin Cow Numes hot on his trail? I hear truth social is raking it in with anti fungal ads and fake supplements! And you must be an investor in truth social right? Congrats on knowing how to spot winners.

Yes, YouTube has 5x users and already better monetizes itself with ads. That would be tough. The second paragraph is full of awful, passive aggressive personal attacks on Movielover.
sycasey
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

Yes, YouTube has 5x users and already better monetizes itself with ads. That would be tough. The second paragraph is full of awful, passive aggressive personal attacks on Movielover.

They're not attacks on movielover as a person, they're attacks on his beliefs and arguments. Surely the latter is still allowed?
AunBear89
Nope. Only 003 is allowed to insult people. Everyone else has to play nice.

Liars, hypocrites, and morons.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Nope. Only 003 is allowed to insult people. Everyone else has to play nice.

Liars, hypocrites, and morons.

The purposeful or naive tribal refusal to believe that Aunbear's and Unit2's posts are not personal attacks is a problem. This post is a solid example of a personal attack. It is mind boggling.
AunBear89
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
What is mind boggling is that you believe anyone takes your "It's not me, it's THEM" act seriously.
oski003
AunBear89 said:

What is mind boggling is that you believe anyone takes your "It's not me, it's THEM" act seriously.

My only response to that is I'd rather see more tolerance to opposing viewpoints. Folks need to stop the extreme labeling of people they disagree with and purposeful distortion of their views, followed by calling people with those viewpoints bad things.
wifeisafurd
movielover said:

I thought daily users were up? He's cut 75% or more of staff with the product getting better - more options, no degradation in performance. The liberal execs in San Francisco and elsewhere salted the ground before Musk arrived. Advertisers movement in coming months will be interesting.

The Twitter Files are also exposing what many already logically concluded, vast government censorship, which logically is also transpiring at Google, YouTube, etc.

After years of growth, in 2022, active users were up slightly over 2021 and were down slightly in the last half of the year per Statista. A lot of folks are predicting massive losses in users, though these projections contain anti-Mosk biases (he will drive users away). This is an example:

Twitter to lose more than 32 million users worldwide by 2024: Reporthttps://www.itworldcanada.com article twitter-to-lose-...

The trend is Twitter was losing "heavy users" staring in the pandemic, even prior to Musk buying the company.

Exclusive: Twitter is losing its most active users, internal ...https://www.reuters.com technology exclusive-where-...
movielover
Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

It's undisputed that Donald Trump has been extremely successful in the cutthroat world of New York real estate, including building marquee projects. He then marketed his brand worldwide. (BTW, as a Democrat, he was a darling of the Left, including the NAACP.)

Trump also accepted African Americans, Jewish Americans, and openly gay couples at Mar-a-Lago at a time when most private clubs in Palm Beach, Fla., were not open to them.

He then conquered television, a completely different venture; and then won the Presidency as a Populist, which included circumnavigating the illegal acts of the FBI, DOJ, DNC, HRC campaign and foreign actors. Under President Trump we had peace, prosperity, a secure border, five Mideast Peace Deals, energy independence, low inflation and no new wars. Ah, those were the days!

It's exceeding rare for any individual to have such success in three completely different realms. But as Ross Perot noted, Bill Clinton created a lot of chicken plucking jobs in Arkansas (hard, honorable work); George Bush Jr. 'ran' a baseball team; and Barack Obama did a bang up job cleaning up the Southside of
Chicago.

You seem obsessed with Orange Man, taking a detour from your typical school yard taunts at BI users and the brilliant Elon Musk. Not satisfied, you extend the name calling to Devin Nunes.

Nunes was mercilessly attacked by the Democrats and MSM after releasing the Nunes Memo, which was proven valid. Meanwhile, serial leaker Adam Schiff (D) had his Memo rebutted by the Inspector General (riddled with falsehoods).)

I don't follow Truth Social. If you don't like Musk or his exposing censorship and historic government corruption, fine. Good luck with the anger thing.

Go 9ers!
BearGoggles
movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

It's undisputed that Donald Trump has been extremely successful in the cutthroat world of New York real estate, including building marquee projects. He then marketed his brand worldwide. (BTW, as a Democrat, he was a darling of the Left, including the NAACP.)

Trump also accepted African Americans, Jewish Americans, and openly gay couples at Mar-a-Lago at a time when most private clubs in Palm Beach, Fla., were not open to them.

He then conquered television, a completely different venture; and then won the Presidency as a Populist, which included circumnavigating the illegal acts of the FBI, DOJ, DNC, HRC campaign and foreign actors. Under President Trump we had peace, prosperity, a secure border, five Mideast Peace Deals, energy independence, low inflation and no new wars. Ah, those were the days!

It's exceeding rare for any individual to have such success in three completely different realms. But as Ross Perot noted, Bill Clinton created a lot of chicken plucking jobs in Arkansas (hard, honorable work); George Bush Jr. 'ran' a baseball team; and Barack Obama did a bang up job cleaning up the Southside of
Chicago.

You seem obsessed with Orange Man, taking a detour from your typical school yard taunts at BI users and the brilliant Elon Musk. Not satisfied, you extend the name calling to Devin Nunes.

Nunes was mercilessly attacked by the Democrats and MSM after releasing the Nunes Memo, which was proven valid. Meanwhile, serial leaker Adam Schiff (D) had his Memo rebutted by the Inspector General (riddled with falsehoods).)

I don't follow Truth Social. If you don't like Musk or his exposing censorship and historic government corruption, fine. Good luck with the anger thing.

Go 9ers!
Trump's record in real estate is mixed. Is the correct metric "building marquee projects" or, alternatively, actually making money? Putting your name on a marquee project and then losing money and filing bankruptcy (Trump Taj Mahal, Trump Plaza Hotel, etc.) doesn't seem like success to me. He has had some very successful projects and some duds. And I would say he's very shrewd about monetizing his name/brand seemingly without exposing much (if any) of his personal wealth to investment risk. In my opinion, that is the mark of a smart developer (i.e., don't sign personal guarantees and use other people's money) but not sure "extremely successful" is accurate.

Prior to his career in national politics, he was adept at navigating local politics (e.g., real estate approvals) and manipulating the media, often simply because he deployed his wealth shrewdly to buy influence (gross, but not illegal).

That being said, it is clear that Trump's ego and narcissism cause him to exaggerate his business successes and personal wealth.

Conquering television? Maybe. But is that an indication of talent or even intellect (Kardashians say hello). He was a ratings success, so I suppose partial credit here.

I agree there is a weird obsession here with Orange man and more recently Elon Musk. And attacking Nunes - who has been almost completely vindicated by the inspector general subsequent events - is bizarre.

In terms of Musk, its is remarkable how quickly the left turned on him. He was a hero until he had the audacity to suggest that: (i) free speech principles mean that you sometimes platform (and actually tolerate) people you disagree with; (ii) the US government should not be pressuring private companies to censor; and (iii) the press should strongly and loudly oppose, and not be complicit, in either of those things. It is much more an indictment of how authoritarian and intolerant a faction of the left has become than Musk.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

In terms of Musk, its is remarkable how quickly the left turned on him. He was a hero until he had the audacity to suggest that: (i) free speech principles mean that you sometimes platform (and actually tolerate) people you disagree with; (ii) the US government should not be pressuring private companies to censor; and (iii) the press should strongly and loudly oppose, and not be complicit, in either of those things. It is much more an indictment of how authoritarian and intolerant a faction of the left has become than Musk.

The issue with Musk is that he started blocking stuff he didn't like as soon as he was in charge of Twitter. His free speech "principles" were anything but.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

The issue with Musk is that he started blocking stuff he didn't like as soon as he was in charge of Twitter. His free speech "principles" were anything but.

The issue with Musk is that while he has always been known as a slavedriver, he was a champion of green energy and leading edge technology.

It was only once he started opening his mouth about a lot of other issues that people started to realize something his employees have known for a long time: He's an egotistical jerk you don't want to work for unless you manage to break into his inner circle.

Musk did himself no favors by tweeting all the time about a wide variety of topics he was ignorant about and simultaneously treating his employees like slaves. His purchase of Twitter has just magnified what an a-hole he is.

BearGoggles
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

But that's not true. The uproar/backlash against Musk began before he even completed the purchase of twitter. It was his stated principles in favor of Twitter promoting free speech/less moderation that caused the backlash/uproar. When Musk announced his bid for twitter, the left went nuts.

If you're honest, you'll admit that the left went nuts precisely because they knew that with Musk, the left was losing much, if not all, of its ability to control twitter. The objection is not alleged Musk hypocrisy re "free speech principles". The real complaint is that the left can't censor views it doesn't like.

In terms of Musk subsequently blocking stuff, it would be helpful if you had specific examples. Keeping in mind that Musk doesn't personally make every censorship/moderation decision - and that Twitter operates in a regulatory environment where certain countries legally require censorship - what specifically do you object to?

And to the larger point, Musk has operated with much greater transparency on these matters. Moderation decisions are not buried and obfuscated with "policies' that are inconsistently applied to users, particularly conservative users. The twitterfiles releases have unequivocally demonstrated how the prior regime was both biased partisan left political and influenced by governmental pressure.

Musk is not perfect, but the current regime and approach is far superior in upholding traditional "liberal" free speech principles (i.e., the ones that drove the ACLU to defend Nazis in Skokie).

movielover
Government pressure? Your words are too kind. Over a dozen high-ranking intelligence community officials joined Twitter *after* the election of President Trump in 2016; the government starting paying Twitter Millions to censor; and used portals to requests thousands of items and users to be censored, banned, or shadow banned.
movielover
And the same thing is happening on Google and Facebook.

sycasey
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

But that's not true. The uproar/backlash against Musk began before he even completed the purchase of twitter. It was his stated principles in favor of Twitter promoting free speech/less moderation that caused the backlash/uproar. When Musk announced his bid for twitter, the left went nuts.
Yes it did, and then Musk proved they were right to be suspicious.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/14/twitter-suspends-elonjet-account-that-tracks-elon-musks-private-jet-.html

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/15/media/twitter-musk-journalists-hnk-intl/index.html

Now, has he since reinstated these accounts? Yes. But that's not much different from what previous Twitter leadership did. Just goes to show that everyone has biases.
movielover
You mean the account that doxxed his families real-time location.
sycasey
movielover said:

The account he specifically said he wouldn't suspend and then did.
DiabloWags
sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

Maybe Tesla still is a good investment, but you have to pause now, where a couple years ago, Tesla was a money manger's dream.

Q4 sales were clearly down because people were waiting for the tax credit starting Jan. 1st, 2023

Being able to buy TSLA at the end of last year was a "gift".
I even posted about "nibbling" on shares at year end.
Stock goes from $110 to $177 in one month.
+61%

If you simply pay attention, you can make money.
If you dont pay attention, it's a waste of time.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
MinotStateBeav
sycasey said:

movielover said:

Who cares? Dude is going after his family. Banning him was the least I'd do.
sycasey
MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

The right-wing complaint was about capricious moderation and a lack of transparency into decisions on Twitter, right? Well, that's not any better when it's happening to the other team.
WalterSobchak
MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

You're so funny when you think you're acting tough.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
Unit2Sucks
I thought people started hating Elno because he became a right wing troll. He started amplifying right wing nutjobs and supporting awful GOPers. He's one of the new online conservatives obsessed with opposing wokeness. For a while he was quite obviously pretending to be non-partisan while actively supporting conservative causes.

His buying Twitter and pretending to oppose censorship while really just allowing the worst people on Twitter to have at it at the same time he suppressed his own critics was the cherry on top.

As for Devin Nunes, he was vindicated on a few facts but like the entire Trump regime and all of its disinformation warriors, he was part of a great dissembling effort regarding Crossfire Hurricane. The recent NY Times article was a scorcher and I'm not surprised we haven't heard a single GOPer on BI address the substantive points made. For anyone who hasn't read it, be prepared to learn that virtually every victory lap taken by the GOP on the Russia investigation was predicated on intentional misstatements by the Trump administration. No surprise there and no surprise on the silence.

Here's the article

Select quotes below but there is so much more to the article showing that virtually everything important that the Trump people claimed about Durham's investigation and Crossfire Hurricane was intentionally false and/or misleading.
Quote:

Moreover, a monthslong review by The New York Times found that the main thrust of the Durham inquiry was marked by some of the very same flaws including a strained justification for opening it and its role in fueling partisan conspiracy theories that would never be charged in court that Trump allies claim characterized the Russia investigation.

Interviews by The Times with more than a dozen current and former officials have revealed an array of previously unreported episodes that show how the Durham inquiry became roiled by internal dissent and ethical disputes as it went unsuccessfully down one path after another even as Mr. Trump and Mr. Barr promoted a misleading narrative of its progress.
  • Mr. Barr and Mr. Durham never disclosed that their inquiry expanded in the fall of 2019, based on a tip from Italian officials, to include a criminal investigation into suspicious financial dealings related to Mr. Trump. The specifics of the tip and how they handled the investigation remain unclear, but Mr. Durham brought no charges over it.
  • Mr. Durham used Russian intelligence memos suspected by other U.S. officials of containing disinformation to gain access to emails of an aide to George Soros, the financier and philanthropist who is a favorite target of the American right and Russian state media. Mr. Durham used grand jury powers to keep pursuing the emails even after a judge twice rejected his request for access to them. The emails yielded no evidence that Mr. Durham has cited in any case he pursued.
  • There were deeper internal fractures on the Durham team than previously known. The publicly unexplained resignation in 2020of his No. 2 and longtime aide, Nora R. Dannehy, was the culmination of a series of disputes between them over prosecutorial ethics. A year later, two more prosecutors strongly objected to plans to indict a lawyer with ties to Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign based on evidence they warned was too flimsy, and one left the team in protest of Mr. Durham's decision to proceed anyway. (A jury swiftly acquitted the lawyer.)

Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Flight histories are a matter of public record. It might take me a few minutes of research to get the serial number of Musk's jet, but after that, it's just a few clicks to see his flight history and his jet's current location. The same goes for anyone else's jet or for any other plane. If you want to stop people following where Elon Musk's jet is, change the laws, though getting both US and international laws changed will be difficult.

I doubt it's seriously endangering Elon Musk's safety any more than it's already endangered by being a public figure. His travels are well covered by the media and even Musk will frequently mention it in his social media.
sycasey

MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Flight histories are a matter of public record. It might take me a few minutes of research to get the serial number of Musk's jet, but after that, it's just a few clicks to see his flight history and his jet's current location. The same goes for anyone else's jet or for any other plane. If you want to stop people following where Elon Musk's jet is, change the laws, though getting both US and international laws changed will be difficult.

I doubt it's seriously endangering Elon Musk's safety any more than it's already endangered by being a public figure. His travels are well covered by the media and even Musk will frequently mention it in his social media.
Knowing which airport he's going to is one thing. But given that airports are generally in major cities, knowing exactly WHERE he is at any given moment in a crowded metro area is considerably more difficult.
wifeisafurd
BearGoggles said:

movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

Chicago.

Go 9ers!
Trump's record in real estate is mixed. Is the correct metric "building marquee projects" or, alternatively, actually making money? Putting your name on a marquee project and then losing money and filing bankruptcy (Trump Taj Mahal, Trump Plaza Hotel, etc.) doesn't seem like success to me. He has had some very successful projects and some duds. And I would say he's very shrewd about monetizing his name/brand seemingly without exposing much (if any) of his personal wealth to investment risk. In my opinion, that is the mark of a smart developer (i.e., don't sign personal guarantees and use other people's money) but not sure "extremely successful" is accurate.

Prior to his career in national politics, he was adept at navigating local politics (e.g., real estate approvals) and manipulating the media, often simply because he deployed his wealth shrewdly to buy influence (gross, but not illegal).

That being said, it is clear that Trump's ego and narcissism cause him to exaggerate his business successes and personal wealth.

Conquering television? Maybe. But is that an indication of talent or even intellect (Kardashians say hello). He was a ratings success, so I suppose partial credit here.

I agree there is a weird obsession here with Orange man and more recently Elon Musk. And attacking Nunes - who has been almost completely vindicated by the inspector general subsequent events - is bizarre.

As a real estate dude and knowing what we real estate dudes think of about Trump as a developer, is that he was a big innovator. He brought branding to real estate projects, using his name. That allowed him to move away from the biggest problem facing developers, that real estate construction is so freaking capital intensive and leads to high debt service that can take down a project. What Trump did was change his business plan where he tied up land with options (which is a lot cheaper that buying land) and obtained entitlements for projects. he then soild the entitlements, option rights and naming rights to a construction company or developer, who then completed construction, and sold or operated the project. Lower profit for Trump on a project basis, but far less risk and investment, allowing Trump to have more projects to up the profit, and to have his name associated with more projects in different areas then NYC., and thereby promote the brand further. Everyone not in real estate was shocked when it came out Trump didn't own most of the properties that bore his name. People screamed that was horrible, while those of us in real estate knew how he functioned, and thought it was clever.

I will never understand why Trump was willing to put his brand at risk by running for office (actually I suspect I do, the guy probably is a narcissist), since around half the people are going to dislike you based on whatever side you go, liberal or conservative. I would suspect his politics have done sufficient damage to the Trump brand and his net worth.

I'm still don't see any correlation between Trump and Musk. Musk has issues like Asperger's which apparently leads to communication issues, andI Musk admitting his mind is different and he sometimes says or posts what seems like strange things. Musk's political views are largely unknown, and he seems if anyrting to come off as libertarian (but I could be wrong). The continuing obsession with Trump by some on this board, where everything has to be about Trump is disturbing and suggests some of you need a life. For example, it would be nice if Cal had a decent basketball of football team that could provide you another outlet.

The analysis on Twitter in this thread is really insightful for a non-tech guy.
BearGoggles

MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Why is it that we don't have real time flight data on President Biden/Air Force One and other politicians? Why don't they disclose timing and route of the presidential motorcade and travel? If its a safety risk for the president, it is a safety risk for any other public figure.

For any public figure, it is potentially dangerous for there to be widely disseminated real time information about their location. I have no problem with Twitter deciding that is not appropriate IN REAL TIME.

And Musk's family's safety was already threatened in a driving incident.
WalterSobchak
BearGoggles said:

MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Why is it that we don't have real time flight data on President Biden/Air Force One and other politicians? Why don't they disclose timing and route of the presidential motorcade and travel? If its a safety risk for the president, it is a safety risk for any other public figure.

For any public figure, it is potentially dangerous for there to be widely disseminated real time information about their location. I have no problem with Twitter deciding that is not appropriate IN REAL TIME.

And Musk's family's safety was already threatened in a driving incident.
Do you mean the one in LA where the police were never called and no police report was ever taken, or was there another?
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

The issue is more that Musk stated on Twitter that he would not suspend the account and then did so without warning, showing his decisions are no less capricious than the previous Twitter leadership.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.