Today, in cops

71,622 Views | 1203 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by going4roses
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought I'd start a thread on the challenges faced by the cop-ial community.

dajo9
Law enforcement gets away with too much in our society. Look at the secret service just deleting texts they are supposed to keep.
American Vermin
okaydo
That 18 year old was pretty powerful.

Anarchistbear
400 cops is nowhere near enough. Fund more.
AunBear89
Soooo, it takes MORE than 400 good guys with guns to stop ONE bad guy with a gun?

Gun nuts? NRA? RNC? Anyone? Beuller?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
okaydo

Unit2Sucks
okaydo said:

Excuse me, we were assured that Boudin was the real problem and that it was quite easy for voters and the public at large to understand what Boudin did wrong and what needed to change to make our streets safe. The fact is the vast majority of people have no idea what goes on in the DA's office or between the DA and cops and the tweet you shared is plausible.

I am a bit skeptical of the "mildly reformist" tag on Boudin, particularly when the previous DA was a guy like Gascon. Disingenuous, bad faith conservatives are going to have a field day with that notion. But mostly they will just ignore crime in SF until right wing media focuses their attention on it again.
okaydo

going4roses
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRh8TkCF/?k=1
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
going4roses
"They willfully ignore why police exist period! They were originally slave catchers!! Everything in this country, circles back to originality!"
okaydo

going4roses
Police are 95% reactionary unless…
DiabloWags
Terribly sad.

No one wants to be a cop.

No one wants to do their job that they swore an oath to.

The bar continues to be lowered for police recruits.

I hear about it here in the East Bay from law enforcement friends of mine all the time.

The application no longer says, "Have you ever used cocaine?"

It now says . . . "When was the last time that you used cocaine?"

Police academies that start out with 60 candidates are lucky if they have 15 by the end of the class.
going4roses
Does the application ask if one identifies/associates/co mingles with racist/fascists/white supremacists ?
oski003
going4roses said:

Does the application ask if one identifies/associates/co mingles with racist/fascists/white supremacists ?

I am guessing just like society's bad apples grow to hate cops, cops grow to hate society's bad apples. There is unfortunate prejudice on both sides.
Anarchistbear
going4roses said:

That'd be the FBI
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I am guessing just like society's bad apples grow to hate cops, cops grow to hate society's bad apples. There is unfortunate prejudice on both sides.
Please connect the dots between cops identifying as "racist/fascists/white supremacists" and "cops grow to hate society's bad apples."
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

400 cops is nowhere near enough. Fund more.

Lawrence O'Donnell devoted a segment to explaining. I will summarize, unless you want to watch.

1. First thing cops heard about the gunman was that he was armed with "an AR".

2. They lacked a "rifle rated protection shield", and thus EVERY ONE OF THEM was afraid to go in there and take him out.

3. Only after shields arrived on scene did they enter.

4. The AR is such a devastating weapon, it stopped all those cops in their tracks.

Viewer Conclusion: maybe we should ban all AR guns!!

oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

Please connect the dots between cops identifying as "racist/fascists/white supremacists" and "cops grow to hate society's bad apples."

The last sentence about unfortunate prejudice connects the dots. Black Americans commit crimes at a higher rate than others so cops develop a prejudice against black Americans. Generally, cops also are more likely to have negative encounters with black Americans than other races. This develops or reinforces a stereotype. This goes both ways as black Americans develop a negative stereotype against cops based on their bad behaviors, abuses of power, and negative interactions.
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

The last sentence about unfortunate prejudice connects the dots. Black Americans commit crimes at a higher rate than others so cops develop a prejudice against black Americans. Generally, cops also are more likely to have negative encounters with black Americans than other races. This develops or reinforces a stereotype. This goes both ways as black Americans develop a negative stereotype against cops based on their bad behaviors, abuses of power, and negative interactions.
I dunno man.

With stop and frisk in NYC, cops were far more likely to target people of color, but white people were more likely to have weapons. Who are the bad apples there?

Cops stop black drivers 3x more than white drivers, but are more likely to find drugs and weapons when they stop white drivers. Who are the bad apples there?

The bolded sentence in your comment is doing a lot of work. Maybe if they stopped disproportionately targeting black men, they wouldn't be more likely to have negative encounters with black people.

By the way, if you re-read your initial post in the context of G4R's comment, you might realize that it appears to say that black people are society's bad apples. I do agree that stereotypes are bad and that it appears to be a vicious cycle of police brutality and targeting of black communities that leads to cops having more negative experiences with black people than they otherwise should. I think that mitigations and regulations put in place to curb racial profiling should be effective in reducing these harmful police practices.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I dunno man.

With stop and frisk in NYC, cops were far more likely to target people of color, but white people were more likely to have weapons. Who are the bad apples there?

Cops stop black drivers 3x more than white drivers, but are more likely to find drugs and weapons when they stop white drivers. Who are the bad apples there?

The bolded sentence in your comment is doing a lot of work. Maybe if they stopped disproportionately targeting black men, they wouldn't be more likely to have negative encounters with black people.

By the way, if you re-read your initial post in the context of G4R's comment, you might realize that it appears to say that black people are society's bad apples. I do agree that stereotypes are bad and that it appears to be a vicious cycle of police brutality and targeting of black communities that leads to cops having more negative experiences with black people than they otherwise should. I think that mitigations and regulations put in place to curb racial profiling should be effective in reducing these harmful police practices.

Some of the reason that cops are more likely to find weapons and drugs on white people per search is because of profiling. Cops may only stop and frisk non-black people when they have actual evidence to make them suspicious. Therefore, they are more likely to find something when searching those people.
going4roses
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I dunno man.

Some of the reason that cops are more likely to find weapons and drugs on white people per search is because of profiling. Cops may only stop and frisk non-black people when they have actual evidence to make them suspicious. Therefore, they are more likely to find something when searching those people.
Seems like we both agree that these practices are racist.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I dunno man.

Many times yes. Sometimes it is logical. When I am alone and someone regardless of what race is walking towards me with baggy clothes and a beanie covering their entire body in 80 degree heat, I get nervous. More often than not, that person is black, even if there are hardly any black people living in that neighborhood. Many black Americans have developed a fashion modeled off of what criminals wear and then act surprised when they get stopped and frisked. It's tough both ways.
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I dunno man.

Many times yes. Sometimes it is logical. When I am alone and someone regardless of what race is walking towards me with baggy clothes and a beanie covering their entire body in 80 degree heat, I get nervous. More often than not, that person is black, even if there are hardly any black people living in that neighborhood. Many black Americans have developed a fashion modeled off of what criminals wear and then act surprised when they get stopped and frisked. It's tough both ways.
Are you saying cops can be racist because you get nervous around black people?
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I dunno man.

Are you saying cops can be racist because you get nervous around black people?

No.
going4roses
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I dunno man.

Example A : whitesplaining
BearNIt
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I dunno man.

Or it could just be bias on the part of the police and the legal system. Take for instance the use of marijuana. When it was illegal there was no difference in the use rates of marijuana when comparing whites and blacks yet blacks were more likely to be arrested. When arrested guess who got prison and who got drug diversion programs. We again saw this in the 80s and 90s with cocaine. Whites were usually caught with powder while blacks with crack guess who got lighter sentences or a drug diversion program and who got prison for the same amounts? Sentencing guidelines didn't change until crack became more prevalent in white communities.
BearForce2
You can't talk about police crime without talking about black crime. Unfortunately, Republicans are uncomfortable with talking about the latter while Democrats pretend like it doesn't exist.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
oski003
BearNIt said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I dunno man.

Or it could just be bias on the part of the police and the legal system. Take for instance the use of marijuana. When it was illegal there was no difference in the use rates of marijuana when comparing whites and blacks yet blacks were more likely to be arrested. When arrested guess who got prison and who got drug diversion programs. We again saw this in the 80s and 90s with cocaine. Whites were usually caught with powder while blacks with crack guess who got lighter sentences or a drug diversion program and who got prison for the same amounts? Sentencing guidelines didn't change until crack became more prevalent in white communities.
yes, that is wrong.
bearister
I grew up in the 1960's and early 70's in Oakland. OPD were mean as f@uck in those days and I was afraid of them. BTW, my maternal grandfather was OPD. He retired in 1940 (he was born in 1880 and he was 40 when my Mom was born).
He wore a thick watch in his breast pocket. While investigating a burglary, he got shot. The watch saved his life. My Mom gave me the watch. I will give it to my son some day. The watch:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
Sheesh
going4roses
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRkjD1wX/?k=1

Out of control !!!
And stupid your supervisor just told you to chill out but no…

We all know if the person he was chasing had dark skin …
going4roses

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.