Today, in cops

85,459 Views | 1211 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by going4roses
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nichols was murdered by those policemen and one or more or all of them will be convicted for it. With that said, I have the following questions:

1. That type of elite strike force unit doesn't do traffic stops* and, in any event, there is no evidence Nichols was driving recklessly. That being the case, what was the motive for pulling him over?

2. Why such a savage and lethal beating of a clearly subdued and non threatening person? It almost seems personally motivated.

The pieces of the story as reported don't fit. Perhaps one of the officers trying to cut a deal with prosecutors will fill in the gaps.

*Edit: " He pointed out that Nichols' encounter with police began with a traffic stop, which does not fall under the unit's mandate to address violent crime." Reuters

The N.Y. Times this morning reports:
" The city had been dealing with drag racing and stunt driving. On a Saturday night in late November, all four lanes of traffic were blocked on Interstate 240 when two drivers began doing doughnuts on the highway, with a number of onlookers recording the activity on their phones. Local officials used the incident as ammunition to call for more legal leeway to seize violators' cars."
Thus the SCORPION unit was involved in traffic stops (which would provide a pretext for pulling Nichols over).
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
It always starts with a traffic stop.
Ever notice that?

All due to a Supreme Court decision from 26 years ago (the "Whren" decision) that gives police officers a ton of discretion during a traffic stop.

I've had personal experience with a traffic stop that lead to a "treasure" hunt in the parking lot of the Martinez Police Department (back in '93) in full view of a handful of officers, including the watch sargeant.

At some point, you have to have the balls to ask the officer in charge, "Am I being arrested?"

That one question forces them to either arrest you or release your detainment.

For context,I had been "followed" on multiple occasions by a Martinez Police Officer (who later left the CC County Sheriff's Dept for shooting a suspect in the back instead of running him down, which lead to a large financial payout by the County to the suspect) because this particular police officer was interested in a gal that I was dating at the time.

In any event, I eventually had to get the Chief of Police on the phone and tell him that I was concerned about the unprofessional conduct of one of his officers. When he didnt see it any other way than, "I heard it's just a personal beef" . . . I reminded him that I did not think that IA would see it that way, let alone the fact and circumstances that lead to he himself becoming "aware" of this alleged personal beef. At which point the Chief asked what I wanted. I told him that I wanted his police officer off my back. To which he agreed. End of phone call.

Pretext Traffic Stops: Whren v. United States | Office of Justice Programs (ojp.gov)

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
okaydo
okaydo
bearister
Appropriate thread to list my favorite portrayals of "bent coppers."

These first two based their characters on LAPD Officer Rafael Perez (Ramparts scandal):

Denzel Washington's Alonzo Harris in Training Day

Michael Chiklis' Vic Mackey in The Shield

Then we have…

Harvey Keitel in The Bad Lieutenant

Richard Gere's Dennis Peck in Internal Affairs

Josh Brolin, American Gangster

bearister
okaydo said:

One of my buddies got shot by a rubber bullet on Bancroft during the Cambodian Invasion Campus Strike in May, 1970. He said it hurt like F!
going4roses

Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
going4roses
Big C
okaydo said:

I guess cops aren't supposed to screw each other? I can think of worse things they do sometimes. Maybe let 'em screw and concentrate on those worse things.

Can you imagine being a good cop nowadays? Probably like being a good priest. Lots of them out there, but it's easy to get mischaracterized.
going4roses

At this point they are doing their best to set off a race war
okaydo

DiabloWags
Big C said:

Can you imagine being a good cop nowadays? Probably like being a good priest. Lots of them out there, but it's easy to get mischaracterized.

Can you imagine the "quality" of candidate that is allowed to enter a Police Academy these days?
Is it any wonder that classes that start out with 60 cadets only see 15 graduate?
Think the bar hasnt been lowered over the years?

Think again.

concordtom
DiabloWags said:

Big C said:

Can you imagine the "quality" of candidate that is allowed to enter a Police Academy these days?
Is it any wonder that classes that start out with 60 cadets only see 15 graduate?

Think again.

Maybe if gun ownership, gun sales, was drastically lower, more people would be willing to do the job.
DiabloWags
When the application no longer says, "Have you ever used cocaine?"
to . . . "When was the last time you used cocaine?"

You already know ahead of time that your potential "candidates" arent going to be the cream of the crop.

DiabloWags
When you fail the psych exam . . . still get employed as a cop and then commit a double-murder.

47 deputies barred from active duty for failing psych evaluations (nypost.com)

47 California deputies stripped of guns after failing psych tests (usatoday.com)

Bay Area sheriff's office audit reveals 45 officers failed psychological evaluation | CNN

bearister
I represented a Marine captain several years ago in connection with securing him benefits for the PTSD he suffered as a result of multiple tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In one of our conversations he told me that there are more than a few policemen in America that have undiagnosed and therefore untreated PTSD from their military service. He told me that they are ticking time bombs and that if you say or do the wrong thing during an interaction with them, their response could be exponentially over the top in relation to the conduct that triggered them.

I have no recollection of ever having read that explanation in connection with police brutality incidents.*

*I remember looking into Derek Chauvin's background. Although he was an Army Reservist for 8 years, he never served in a war zone. I suppose just a garden variety psychopath.
WalterSobchak
DiabloWags said:

Big C said:

Think again.

They're out there. I approached the open driver side window of a parked police SUV in my East Bay town on foot a few years ago after helping a girl escape a domestic situation. Turned out he was a Cal undergrad and Vanderbilt law grad, and an active member of the California State Bar. We ended up having a brief conversation about the elements of the potential crimes and I texted him some pictures I'd taken. It was a truly positive experience and he was both highly competent and very friendly.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
bearister
Can This Black, Latina, Progressive, Pro-Police DA Turn San Francisco Around? - The Bulwark

https://www.thebulwark.com/can-this-black-latina-progressive-pro-police-da-turn-san-francisco-around/O
DiabloWags
WalterSobchak said:

DiabloWags said:

Big C said:

Think again.

They're out there. I approached the open driver side window of a parked police SUV in my East Bay town on foot a few years ago after helping a girl escape a domestic situation. Turned out he was a Cal undergrad and Vanderbilt law grad, and an active member of the California State Bar. We ended up having a brief conversation about the elements of the potential crimes and I texted him some pictures I'd taken. It was a truly positive experience and he was both highly competent and very friendly.

Just a cautionary note:

Whenever approaching the open driver side window of a patrol car, make sure that your hands are where the officer can see them.
okaydo
going4roses
Really is that bad … I guess
okaydo
okaydo
going4roses
Hmm this is really sick shh
okaydo

okaydo
okaydo
going4roses
Former MPD officer speaks out

No lies told
going4roses
"Policing is the profession of oppression"

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CoSZAWGgvau/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
going4roses
But those ______ were looting and destroying private property
okaydo
going4roses
https://theintercept.com/2023/02/07/fbi-denver-racial-justice-protests-informant/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.