Today, in cops

72,328 Views | 1203 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by going4roses
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
going4roses
Duh
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
going4roses
oski003
going4roses said:

The officers had probably cause. Why can't the suspect comply until this is figured out. The suspect absolutely escalated this. It is unfortunate that you and other ignorant folks promote resisting and refusing officers' reasonable directions.
82gradDLSdad
oski003 said:

going4roses said:

The officers had probably cause. Why can't the suspect comply until this is figured out. The suspect absolutely escalated this. It is unfortunate that you and other ignorant folks promote resisting and refusing officers' reasonable directions.

I don't understand why folks don't comply with police orders when they are asked for identification? Somewhere along the lines people got the idea that they don't have to obey law enforcement's requests. I was taught that if you don't you get cuffed and taken to jail. If you resist that you get thrown to the ground or tazed. Don't get it. Even the kids of color I grew up with knew this and complied. Simple.
going4roses
When one is conditioned to see them as potential life ending problem(never positive never a benefit ) it's not that simple. The psychological terror is ingrained. Policing Black bodies always caused racial tensions. But I get it you never have had those types of experiences that in turn shape ones persona.

This is not South Africa we don't have to have papers but that's what your saying is ok
oski003
going4roses said:

When one is conditioned to see them as potential life ending problem(never positive never a benefit ) it's not that simple. The psychological terror is ingrained. Policing Black bodies always has racial tensions. But I get it you never have had those experiences that shaped your persona.

This is not South Africa we don't have to have papers but that's what your saying is ok

Being so conditioned to seeing police officers as dangerous such that you can't comply with one when you are breaking into your own car is absolutely insane. The fact that you think this actual conditioning is okay is absolutely insane. It is an excuse for people who simply hate authority and a culture of noncompliance. Any reasonable person using a coat hanger to break into a car should anticipate the possibility of a police officer questioning them and be able to comply in a polite, reasonable manner. The circumstances would indicate the officer is just doing their job.
going4roses
82gradDLSdad said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

I don't understand why folks don't comply with police orders when they are asked for identification? Somewhere along the lines people got the idea that they don't have to obey law enforcement's requests. I was taught that if you don't you get cuffed and taken to jail. If you resist that you get thrown to the ground or tazed. Don't get it. Even the kids of color I grew up with knew this and complied. Simple.

An addendum

going4roses
82 this is why your argument falls short

If this type of stuff never happened maybe you might have a point but since it does. It's all about survival fight or flight.
going4roses
82gradDLSdad
going4roses said:

When one is conditioned to see them as potential life ending problem(never positive never a benefit ) it's not that simple. The psychological terror is ingrained. Policing Black bodies always caused racial tensions. But I get it you never have had those types of experiences that in turn shape ones persona.

Like I said, not one person of color I grew up with, SF in the 60s, 70s, 80s, saw the police this way. Some of them became cops, some of their best friends became cops, etc. It's ok to have different life experiences shaping some of your decisions but having law abiding citizens is absolutely crucial to a functioning society. Once authority breaks down, and it seems to be starting, we are in trouble. And the flip side is absolutely true. Every bad action by those in power needs to be dealt with to the full extent of the law. The same break down occurs when that doesn't happen.
82gradDLSdad
going4roses said:

82 this is why your argue falls short

If this type of stuff never happened maybe you might have a point but since it does. It's all about survival fight or flight.

My argument still holds in the face of bad cops. They have the power and the law on their side. Disobey them at your own risk. Just because videos show cops using this force to strong arm someone doesn't make their actions wrong or my argument fall apart. Go out and try your argument and disobey a cop. Actually don't do that.
going4roses
Umm I don't know what to tell about those whom you grew up with, perhaps they didn't want to talk about it or maybe buried those experiences because of that pain/shame ?
82gradDLSdad
going4roses said:

Umm I don't know what to tell about those whom you grew up with, perhaps they didn't want to talk about it or maybe buried those experiences because of that pain/shame ?

There is another explanation.
oski003
going4roses said:

Since there exist black people somewhere in the US that want to hurt me, I am going to be a complete inhospitable rude jerk to all black people? Is this how your sick logic works? That is awful.
Unit2Sucks
going4roses said:

An addendum

When I was in high school our car was pulled over in a lower middle class neighborhood. When the officer got to the driver he asked why we were there. He said he pulled us over because he din't know why mexicans would be driving a nicer car and assumed we were up to no good. When we said we were just grabbing lunch he said that sounded good and we were free to go. Since we all appeared white, he didn't hide the pretext behind the stop.

Another time I was with a group of friends who was out late at night in a car. Officer comes by to ask what we are doing and all 4 of us nervously talked out of turn. One of us (lwho was irish) looked Mexican and when he spoke the cop said "no one asked you anything <racial epithet>, so shut up unless I speak to you directly."

Because I'm white, these are just two inconsequential stories where I was shown behind the curtain of institutional racism. When I talk to people of color about this sort of thing, they invariably have different versions of these stories that are much more perilous and far too frequently have actual consequences.

This isn't just anecdata - there is a wealth of evidence that this is happening all over the country and has been for longer than any of us have been alive. To pretend like all of the issues between law enforcement and people of color in this country are as a result of people of color not acting white (which is essentially what a lot of the arguments boil down to) is extremely shortsighted. This is a real problem and one that shouldn't exist in America in 2023.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

going4roses said:

An addendum

When I was in high school our car was pulled over in a lower middle class neighborhood. When the officer got to the driver he asked why we were there. He said he pulled us over because he din't know why mexicans would be driving a nicer car and assumed we were up to no good. When we said we were just grabbing lunch he said that sounded good and we were free to go. Since we all appeared white, he didn't hide the pretext behind the stop.

Another time I was with a group of friends who was out late at night in a car. Officer comes by to ask what we are doing and all 4 of us nervously talked out of turn. One of us (lwho was irish) looked Mexican and when he spoke the cop said "no one asked you anything <racial epithet>, so shut up unless I speak to you directly."

Because I'm white, these are just two inconsequential stories where I was shown behind the curtain of institutional racism. When I talk to people of color about this sort of thing, they invariably have different versions of these stories that are much more perilous and far too frequently have actual consequences.

This isn't just anecdata - there is a wealth of evidence that this is happening all over the country and has been for longer than any of us have been alive. To pretend like all of the issues between law enforcement and people of color in this country are as a result of people of color not acting white (which is essentially what a lot of the arguments boil down to) is extremely shortsighted. This is a real problem and one that shouldn't exist in America in 2023.

Nobody is pretending that all of the issues between law enforcement and people of color in this country are a result of people not acting respectfully to officers. However, to not give an officer your name after you are seen breaking into a car is absolutely absurd. Blaming the cops for the escalated interaction is completely absurd. Excusing this poor poor behavior because racial profiling exists is completely absurd. I am also saddened that you and others equate acting respectfully to an officer as acting white and something derogatory. That is awful.
82gradDLSdad
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

going4roses said:

An addendum

Nobody is pretending that all of the issues between law enforcement and people of color in this country are a result of people not acting respectfully to officers. However, to not give an officer your name after you are seen breaking into a car is absolutely absurd. Blaming the cops for the escalated interaction is completely absurd. Excusing this poor poor behavior because racial profiling exists is completely absurd. I am also saddened that you and others equate acting respectfully to an officer as acting white and something derogatory. That is awful.

Exactly. I don't know how to combat racism or racial profiling but I can figure out one thing I wouldn't do: I wouldn't say I don't have to do anything you tell me to do Mr. policeman!. God, go on YouTube. It's full of stupid people of all colors, mostly drunk and/or stoned that do this and pay the price.
going4roses
AunBear89
82gradDLSdad said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

going4roses said:

An addendum

Exactly. I don't know how to combat racism or racial profiling but I can figure out one thing I wouldn't do: I wouldn't say I don't have to do anything you tell me to do Mr. policeman!. God, go on YouTube. It's full of stupid people of all colors, mostly drunk and/or stoned that do this and pay the price.

And that makes it ok?!? They have guns and most of them or nice, so we should comply with everything they say?

Unless you are a white woman breaking in to the US Capitol - then you can ignore what the cops tell you and the cops should back away.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oski003
AunBear89 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

going4roses said:

An addendum

And that makes it ok?!? They have guns and most of them or nice, so we should comply with everything they say?

Unless you are a white woman breaking in to the US Capitol - then you can ignore what the cops tell you and the cops should back away.
What does "they have guns and most of them or nice" mean? The January 6 protestors and rioters should not have ignored the cops. I don't recall anyone here arguing that they should have.
82gradDLSdad
AunBear89 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

going4roses said:

An addendum

Oh god. Just go try it yourself. Where were you raised that you think it's ok for a society to just disregard law enforcement's directives? "Hey you, shoving a coat hanger in a car window, step away and show us your license!"
"No ****ing way, man. I don't have to do that. Get lost!"

Try it. Your society will be toast. Wild, wild West time. When we get there folks will be begging for more law and order. You don't need much imagination to see this, do you?
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo

going4roses
Ridiculous !!!!!!!!!
going4roses
oski003
going4roses said:

Sounds like the judge knows more about the case than you do.
going4roses
okaydo
okaydo
oski003
okaydo said:

They need to. They are getting vandalized constantly.
oski003
okaydo said:

This information was in the original link.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

okaydo said:

This information was in your original link.
This is the only post Okaydo has made about this case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.