The Non-Yogi Israel-Palestine war thread

189,278 Views | 2533 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by tequila4kapp
Zippergate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If a Palestinian state were formed tomorrow in the West Bank (let's even say 1967 borders) and Gaza, would you agree that the 500k+ settlers should have the option of living in (and presumably becoming citizens of) the Palestinian state? Should Jews be allowed to move from other countries to the newly created Palestinian state and become citizens there?

In my hypothetical Palestinian state, do you think its likely Jews would enjoy equal rights, security and acceptance? If so, what makes you think that? If not, how would that not be an apartheid state?

Jews and Christians have been driven from many Muslim countries and don't enjoy equal rights there. Places like Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Pakistan, Algeria, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Yemen, and Turkey.

Brilliant. The hypocrisy of the anti-Semites is something to behold.

Unrelated but here's yet another example of selective outrage. How many times have we heard how Israel is responsible for the awful plight of the Palestinians?

https://nypost.com/2023/11/07/news/hamas-leaders-worth-11bn-live-luxury-lives-in-qatar/
movielover
When Obama backed the Muslim Brotherhoods rise to power in Egypt, wasn't that quickly followed by mayhem, including the burning of Christian churches?

What a disaster.
movielover
Would Israel ever send a commando unit in to cut the head of the snake off in Qatar?
movielover
10% For The Big Guy said:

BearGoggles said:

movielover said:

Sad day.

Where are the protests in the streets of US and European cities? Why the lack of outcry from anyone on BI or for that matter anywhere else in the internet. Like the UN "Human Rights" council, it seems people have a unique obsession with the world's only Jewish state.
I do appreciate that you used a group that conducted an ethnic cleansing to compare to Israel. ...

If you can point to the United States giving money and weapons to the Jihadi, I would be happy to have whatever level of outcry you deem appropriate. Until such time though, feel free to pound sand snowflake.

The Biden Administration handed tens of Billions of dollars in military equipment, new unused rifles, night-vision goggles, ammunitions, vehicles, etc., to the ME terrorists when we left Afghanistan. How was that not planned, and why aren't military leaders court martialled for it?

Yes, some was destroyed.
10% For The Big Guy
tequila4kapp said:

Cal88 said:

There is no amount of Hamas spending that could have protected tens of thousands of Gaza civilians from ~50,000 Israeli bombs launched on a densely inhabited area smaller than Manhattan.
Of course there is. If they took every single dollar they stole from the UN and received from Iran and built roads, schools, hospitals, libraries and factories instead of spending it on guns, rockets, bombs and tunnels there would not be 1 dead Palestinian today; they couldn't be more safe.
That is some grade A horse**** right there.

tequila4kapp
You are informed enough to know that the West Bank and Jerusalem are contested lands with inter-mixed Jewish / Arab / Palestinian populations and a hodge-podge of security arrangements/responsibilities by zones. Those dynamics undermine the conclusions you draw about the self-ruled and demographically uniform Gaza. The better analogy would be Sinai. How many Egyptian civilians has Israel killed there since they traded land for peace with a partner who accepted their right to exist and stopped attacking them?
KPG
The point was simple - public US criticism even from US Presidents is lip service and has no bearing on settlements in Israel, and that settlements will continue. Just saying they're unhelpful doesn't absolve their material detriment to peace, and their material and systematic eradication of the possibility of a viable Palestinian state.

The link you shared is from post-1948, what happened in 1948 that caused such a reaction? Why hadn't that happened prior to 1948?

In Iraq Jewish life flourished. It wasn't perfect (what is?) but Russian Jews even fled to Iraq to escape persecution in the 20s. Jews were heavily involved in civic life, politics, trade up until the 1930, when growing Zionist clashes emerged with local Arabs in what was then Mandatory Palestine. Jews made up about 1/3rd of the population of Baghdad in the 1920s. If you want to make the argument that Jews are only safe regionally in Israel, you can make the case that it's because of the creation of Israel that Jews aren't safe elsewhere in the region.

I think that at this point there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube, but I think your hypothetical underscores why settlements are so incredibly detrimental to peace, and why they matter. That you can flippantly dismiss their relevance by acknowledging they're not helpful, then ask a question about the tenability of peace with the presence of settlements where hundreds of thousands of Israeli settlers have violently displaced hundreds of thousands of Palestinians and systematically excluded them from participating in Israeli society and excluded them from visible independence shows that you're not interested in a real discussion.

1.) The premise is absurd, the settlers are there because they enjoy the privileges and pritections of apartheid and are trying to manifest a religious proclamation, not because they think there's great weather and good hiking trails in Nablus with the opportunity to join a nice Palestinian community. But yes, sure, if they wanted to remain in a 1967 border Palestinian state, the settlers who built new homes in previously unsettled areas should be allowed to stay if they want. The settlers who forcibly evicted and stole the homes of Palestinians should obviously not be able to remain in those stolen homes, nor should the settlers that exist in bulldozed Palestinian communities that seek a right of return. But if they'd otherwise like to stay in the territory, sure.

2.) Should Jews be allowed to move from other countries there. I don't think that's a common emigration policy for any country, but you can certainly put it into the suggestion box.

3.) Would Jews enjoy equal rights, security, and acceptance? I imagine the rights would look similar to existing PA rights:

The Palestinian Authority (PA) does not have a constitution; however, the Basic Law provides for religious freedom. The Basic Law was approved in 2002 by the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC) and signed by then-President Yasser Arafat. The Basic Law states that Islam is the official religion but also calls for respect and sanctity for other divine religions (such as Judaism and Christianity).

I think religious discrimination is a problem for every country in the entire world. There are currently 50,000 Christian Palestinians, and there is not a history of religious persecution against them. Many left in 1948 die to the war, many in Jerusalem were dispossessed of their homes by Israelis. The mayors of Ramallah, Birzeit, Bethlehem, Zababdeh, Jifna, Ein 'Arik, Aboud, Taybeh, Beit Jala and Beit Sahour are Christians currently. There is no evidence that they enjoy less security than other Palestinians on religious grounds, they seem to be slightly more affluent and therefore slightly more susceptible to petty crimes, but nothing targeted or systemic.

There is nothing to suggest Palestinians engage in apartheid against Christians. They don't have different colored license plates, they don't have limited freedom of movement by Palestinian government officials, and they are able to participate in Palestinian elections. Can we say the same about Palestinians in the illegally occupied West Bank?

Do you even have an elementary level understanding of what's going on in the West Bank? Your questions suggest perhaps not. Do you have an elementary understanding of what the region was like prior to 1917?
KPG
tequila4kapp said:

You are informed enough to know that the West Bank and Jerusalem are contested lands with inter-mixed Jewish / Arab / Palestinian populations and a hodge-podge of security arrangements/responsibilities by zones.

And the Antebellum South featured contested economic practices regarding labor with inter-mixed White / Black populations and a hodge-podge of security arrangements / responsibilities by plantations.
Cal88
Some pushback in Europe towards the indiscriminate bombings in Gaza from top officials in Belgium and Spain:

CaliforniaEternal
That is just sick and perverse blaming the persecution of Jews in Arab countries on Israel. Israel wanted peaceful relations with all Arab nations but the opposite is not true.

This settler colonialist ideology is just as deranged as Marxist-Leninist principles, Nazism, and all the other antisemitic trash.
bearister
I'm glad I walked every cobblestone in Europe almost 50 years ago. Based on what is happening in Gaza now, I predict more than a few Americans traveling in Europe are going to get stabbed, bombed, run over or shot for years to come.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KPG
CaliforniaEternal said:

That is just sick and perverse blaming the persecution of Jews in Arab countries on Israel. Israel wanted peaceful relations with all Arab nations but the opposite is not true.

This settler colonialist ideology is just as deranged as Marxist-Leninist principles, Nazism, and all the other antisemitic trash.

What's funny is that I unironically agree completely on every single word of your second paragraph, but probably not in the way you intended.
oski003
Interesting article. Shows the lengths Israel is going to to avoid the death of innocent lives. Besides asking for general evacuations days before bombing, they are warning citizens two hours ahead when they are bombing specific areas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67327079
Big C
CaliforniaEternal said:

It's not that difficult to understand people. If Hamas hadn't launched their murderous rampage on Oct 7th, there would be no war. When a terrorist group goes nuclear, there is no alternative but to remove them from control of a territory they use to stage attacks. No country on earth would tolerate the kind of savagery committed on that day.

And if you're having trouble figuring out why civilians in Gaza are dying, then you are blind to the fact that Hamas wants them to die. They put their rocket launchers in hospitals and schools to not only cause damage to Israel but to get as many civilians killed as possible. That's their entire strategy.

I think it's actually much more difficult to understand than what you portray. While I believe that everything you said is pretty much true, there are two sides to every story and you are only describing the side of the ruling party of the Israeli government.

Okay, if I had to pick out one faction to blame here, it would be certain branches of radical Islam and those who use them to wield power, but again, this story is much more complicated than that.

My only question is how much the US should be involved in trying to "help" a situation that seems never-ending and almost hopeless. To be clear, I believe I am "for" the idea of the State of Israel as a homeland for Jews.
bearister
CaliforniaEternal said:

"If Hamas hadn't launched their murderous rampage on Oct 7th, there would be no war."

True, but would injustice still exist in Gaza that results in boiling over hatred that passes down generation to generation?
MinotStateBeav
bearister said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

"If Hamas hadn't launched their murderous rampage on Oct 7th, there would be no war."

True, but would injustice still exist in Gaza that results in boiling over hatred that passes down generation to generation?
True but that also far extends into the past with violence going both ways. This pointing fingers won't stop so the arguments are pretty repetitive at this point.
KPG
oski003 said:

Interesting article. Shows the lengths Israel is going to to avoid the death of innocent lives. Besides asking for general evacuations days before bombing, they are warning citizens two hours ahead when they are bombing specific areas.

Are we applauding the restraint of a military that has killed 89 UN workers, the most of any conflict, ever?

37 journalists and counting, the most in any conflict since measures in 1992?

192 health care workers?

4,000+ children and counting? In 2022 in all of Ukraine, 477 children died in a calendar year. We have ten times that figure in a month in Gaza, and we're celebrating the lengths Israel is going to avoid casualties?

The UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said two days ago:

"There are violations by Hamas when they have human shields. But when one looks at the number of civilians that were killed with the military operations, there is something that is clearly wrong," Guterres told Reuters

I am flabbergasted. The article details how an entire vibrant community that a frantic man insisted was removed from any violence or involvement with Hamas was obliterated, and we're to view this and celebrate this as a heartwarming story of restraint? War is peace, I suppose.
bearister
MinotStateBeav said:

bearister said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

True but that also far extends into the past with violence going both ways. This pointing fingers won't stop so the arguments are pretty repetitive at this point.

I view both sides as unreasonable. I thought Spielberg suggested that in his film Munich, which is why neither side was happy with the movie…..perhaps the sign of a fair handling of the matter.
10% For The Big Guy
KPG said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

What's funny is that I unironically agree completely on every single word of your second paragraph, but probably not in the way you intended.
Zionism supporters often don't know what they're talking about and that's definitely the case for this clown
CaliforniaEternal
Keep telling yourself that Hamas puppet trash.
CaliforniaEternal
The US needs to get a lot more serious about standing up to enemies like Iran, Russia, and China. When your enemies say they want to destroy you, believe them and work with allies to build up a much stronger deterrence instead of appeasing them.
Cal88
bearister said:

I'm glad I walked every cobblestone in Europe almost 50 years ago. Based on what is happening in Gaza now, I predict more than a few Americans traveling in Europe are going to get stabbed, bombed, run over or shot for years to come.

The locals go out of their way to make an Oaktowner like you feel at home...
Cal88
CaliforniaEternal said:

Israeli Mossad, whose motto is "By way of deception thou shalt do war", waged false flag terror campaigns targeted at Jewish communities in Arab countries like Iraq in order to prompt their emigration to Israel.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-shocking-truth-behind-the-baghdad-bombings-of-1950-and-1951/
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/avi-shlaim-proof-israel-zionist-involvement-iraq-jews-attacks
https://www.academia.edu/36827695/Exposing_the_Mossad_Head_of_Israeli_Mossad_Isser_Harel_caused_the_death_of_44_Moroccan_Jews

They've also conducted false flag bombings of western civilian targets in Arab cities (cultural centers, theaters etc) in order to damage relations between the Arabs and the West, as well as to start building the image in the western psyche of Arabs as terrorists. Those operations have been much more widely known than the aforementioned ones targeting Arab Jewish communities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavon_Affair
CaliforniaEternal
You really live in a big conspiracy theory bubble don't you? You should check out The Spy on Netflix, excellent story of Eli Cohen going deep undercover in Syria. The Mossad will be working extra hard to knock off those involved in the Oct. 7th attack wherever in the world they are.
Big C
CaliforniaEternal said:

You really live in a big conspiracy theory bubble don't you? You should check out The Spy on Netflix, excellent story of Eli Cohen going deep undercover in Syria. The Mossad will be working extra hard to knock off those involved in the Oct. 7th attack wherever in the world they are.

I hope they are successful. And assuming that they will be, maybe the Israeli government hard-liners didn't need to come in with the blunt rhetoric and the destroying of the square-kilometers-of-buildings, because it seems like that is just going to exacerbate the problem, in a region where Israel is surrounded on all sides, and yet had been building some allies.
BearGoggles
Cal88 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Cal88 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Grigsby said:

Israel does not and has never cared about "the hostages".

Anyone who believes drivel needs to explain why Israel already intentionally killed over 100 Israelis on 10/7 with tanks and why they are carpet bombing Gaza and killing people in the West Bank. You also need to explain how carpet bombing is going to get Hamas terrorists if they are hiding in underground tunnels.

You also might want to explain why Israel thought it was a good idea to show up to the UN wearing gold stars.

As a Litvak Jew I despise the IDF and the IOF. It is a state sponsored genocide and what is worse no one is talking about Israel's role in the current genocide in the Congo and the Sudan.

Members of the Israeli Knesset and U.S. Congress supporting this genocide need to taken to The Hague to be prosecuted crimes against humanity and war crimes.

Why aren't Hamas allowing civilians into their tunnels for safety and instead using the civilians as cover for their tunnels? Why don't you call for Hamas to be brought to the Hague? Civilians aren't being killed in a vacuum. Both sides are doing horrible things.

The civilian refugees have gone to places like refugee camps, hospital grounds, churches and mosques, all of which have been heavily targeted and bombed by Israel the last few weeks.

The Hamas tunnels are similar to those made in the Vietnam war, precarious narrow passages that aren't meant to shelter large number of people. In the current Gaza situation, any large underground shelter facility would not provide protection from bunker-busting bombs, to the contrary, people using such facility would be buried alive. The only protection to the civilian population is provided by the international community exerting pressure on Israel, and the Israelis own concern about their image, which they have very carefully managed, especially in the West.
Translation: Hamas is allowed to use money to enable their terrorist effort, not to benefit Palestinians. Israel has to accept that Hamas can proceed in that manner but be bound by normal rules of war, which - as terrorists - Hamas is manipulating to their (Hamas') benefit.

There is no amount of Hamas spending that could have protected tens of thousands of Gaza civilians from ~50,000 Israeli bombs launched on a densely inhabited area smaller than Manhattan.
Hamas didn't need to spend any money to protect civilian Gazans. All Hamas has to do is stop launching missiles and attacks at Israel. At this point, after 10/7, they need to surrender and return the hostages as well. But that wasn't the case before. .

Hamas literally violated a cease fire when launching the 10/7 attacks. But for that attack, not a single Israeli bomb would have been dropped since then.

As the government of Gaza, if Hamas wants to engage in war with Israel - which was a choice they made - then it is in fact incumbent on them to protect their citizens from the consequences of war. But, as they have openly stated, they are hoping for as many Gazan deaths because they think it advances their political interest. They believe that because of people like you.
BearGoggles
KPG said:

The point was simple - public US criticism even from US Presidents is lip service and has no bearing on settlements in Israel, and that settlements will continue. Just saying they're unhelpful doesn't absolve their material detriment to peace, and their material and systematic eradication of the possibility of a viable Palestinian state.

The link you shared is from post-1948, what happened in 1948 that caused such a reaction? Why hadn't that happened prior to 1948?

In Iraq Jewish life flourished. It wasn't perfect (what is?) but Russian Jews even fled to Iraq to escape persecution in the 20s. Jews were heavily involved in civic life, politics, trade up until the 1930, when growing Zionist clashes emerged with local Arabs in what was then Mandatory Palestine. Jews made up about 1/3rd of the population of Baghdad in the 1920s. If you want to make the argument that Jews are only safe regionally in Israel, you can make the case that it's because of the creation of Israel that Jews aren't safe elsewhere in the region.

I think that at this point there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube, but I think your hypothetical underscores why settlements are so incredibly detrimental to peace, and why they matter. That you can flippantly dismiss their relevance by acknowledging they're not helpful, then ask a question about the tenability of peace with the presence of settlements where hundreds of thousands of Israeli settlers have violently displaced hundreds of thousands of Palestinians and systematically excluded them from participating in Israeli society and excluded them from visible independence shows that you're not interested in a real discussion.

1.) The premise is absurd, the settlers are there because they enjoy the privileges and pritections of apartheid and are trying to manifest a religious proclamation, not because they think there's great weather and good hiking trails in Nablus with the opportunity to join a nice Palestinian community. But yes, sure, if they wanted to remain in a 1967 border Palestinian state, the settlers who built new homes in previously unsettled areas should be allowed to stay if they want. The settlers who forcibly evicted and stole the homes of Palestinians should obviously not be able to remain in those stolen homes, nor should the settlers that exist in bulldozed Palestinian communities that seek a right of return. But if they'd otherwise like to stay in the territory, sure.

2.) Should Jews be allowed to move from other countries there. I don't think that's a common emigration policy for any country, but you can certainly put it into the suggestion box.

3.) Would Jews enjoy equal rights, security, and acceptance? I imagine the rights would look similar to existing PA rights:

The Palestinian Authority (PA) does not have a constitution; however, the Basic Law provides for religious freedom. The Basic Law was approved in 2002 by the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC) and signed by then-President Yasser Arafat. The Basic Law states that Islam is the official religion but also calls for respect and sanctity for other divine religions (such as Judaism and Christianity).

I think religious discrimination is a problem for every country in the entire world. There are currently 50,000 Christian Palestinians, and there is not a history of religious persecution against them. Many left in 1948 die to the war, many in Jerusalem were dispossessed of their homes by Israelis. The mayors of Ramallah, Birzeit, Bethlehem, Zababdeh, Jifna, Ein 'Arik, Aboud, Taybeh, Beit Jala and Beit Sahour are Christians currently. There is no evidence that they enjoy less security than other Palestinians on religious grounds, they seem to be slightly more affluent and therefore slightly more susceptible to petty crimes, but nothing targeted or systemic.

There is nothing to suggest Palestinians engage in apartheid against Christians. They don't have different colored license plates, they don't have limited freedom of movement by Palestinian government officials, and they are able to participate in Palestinian elections. Can we say the same about Palestinians in the illegally occupied West Bank?

Do you even have an elementary level understanding of what's going on in the West Bank? Your questions suggest perhaps not. Do you have an elementary understanding of what the region was like prior to 1917?

One thing I know, is that prior to 1917 there was not an independent nation/state called Palestine and there were not people who identified as "Palestinians."

That is the problem with your worldview and, quite bluntly, your selective sources of history. When does history start? At what point do the settler colonialist (which would include Muslim conquerors from circa 610 CE) become victims of the set of next conquerors? Why aren't the Arab Muslims - who directly descend form the Muslim conquerors - settlers?

It is pure silliness. Taken to the extreme, we know as a historical fact that Jews were in what we now call Israel long before Muslims or the people now called Palestinians. But it doesn't matter, because conquerors/settlers came and went for thousands of years.

All of human history involves dispossessing people from their land, usually with violence. Full stop.

And while you claim I have little understanding of the West Bank, I think you have a lot of misunderstandings of how religious freedom works in Gaza and the West Bank (not to mention the treatment of other groups, like LGBTQ people)

Yes - Hamas engaged in a purging (or if you like ethnic cleansing).

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/10/03/vanishing-arab-christians-gaza-hamas-di-giovanni-book/

And the PA in West Bank is not much better.

https://forthemartyrs.com/palestines-vanishing-christian-population/

What happens in the West Bank if a Muslim wants to convert to Christianity?

Your description of the Basic Law is woefully incomplete and ignores that Islam is the official religion of the PA.

"The PA Basic Law, which serves as an interim constitution, establishes Islam as the official religion and states the principles of sharia shall be the main source of legislation but provides for freedom of belief, worship, and the performance of religious rites unless they violate public order or morality"

Sure seems like the final 7 words (not to mention the imposition of Sharia law) significantly qualify your claim of religious freedom. But according to you, I'm the one who is uninformed and doesn't understand what really happens in the West Bank?.

https://www.state.gov/reports/2022-report-on-international-religious-freedom/israel-west-bank-and-gaza/west-bank-and-gaza/#:~:text=The%20PA%20Basic%20Law%2C%20which,violate%20public%20order%20or%20morality.

The most amazing part of your post is your equivocation on points 1, 2 and 3. Some Jewish settlements in the hypothetical PA State are ok; others must be removed. Jews in the hypothetical Palestinian state would have ostensible religious freedom, though in practice you acknowledge they would not be equal citizens. The PA state would have no obligation to accept any Jewish immigrants or for that matter any immigrants.

You accept all of these traits, realities, and nuance in a hypothetical Palestinian state. But you view the analogous situations in Israel as intolerable apartheid. It seems many of the things you find condemnable about Israel are just fine in hypothetical Palestine.

Theories of settler colonialism have destroyed many peoples ability to think. If all that matters is perceived victimhood, then there is no real legal or moral principles. Just political ideology.
BearGoggles
KPG said:

oski003 said:

Are we applauding the restraint of a military that has killed 89 UN workers, the most of any conflict, ever?

37 journalists and counting, the most in any conflict since measures in 1992?

192 health care workers?

4,000+ children and counting? In 2022 in all of Ukraine, 477 children died in a calendar year. We have ten times that figure in a month in Gaza, and we're celebrating the lengths Israel is going to avoid casualties?

The UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said two days ago:

"There are violations by Hamas when they have human shields. But when one looks at the number of civilians that were killed with the military operations, there is something that is clearly wrong," Guterres told Reuters

I am flabbergasted. The article details how an entire vibrant community that a frantic man insisted was removed from any violence or involvement with Hamas was obliterated, and we're to view this and celebrate this as a heartwarming story of restraint? War is peace, I suppose.
What is the source for your numbers? Spoiler: Hamas. Yet you accept them unquestionably.

Why is it that Hamas has not released a breakdown of how many soldiers have been killed and how many of people killed were victims of failed missiles fired by Hamas and other terrorist groups? How many of the "children" were soldiers or where in close proximity to soldiers when killed?

How many of the UN workers and so called "journalists" were affiliated with Hamas? UNRWA literally says nothing as Hamas builds tunnels under their schools and hospitals and fires weapons from those locations.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-photos-hamas-gaza-weapons-un-facilities-including-schools/

https://unwatch.org/fact-checking-unrwa-claims-about-teachers-and-education/

https://www.fdd.org/analysis/2023/11/08/united-nations-bigotry-towards-israel-unrwa-anti-semitism-poisons-palestinian-youth/

In every prior war, the Hamas' claims of deaths have proven VASTLY overstated and misleading. Yet here you are unquestionably adopting them.

Having said all that, the death of any Palestinian (or Israeli) civilian is a tragedy. But this is a war. A war started by Hamas where Hamas has said it will not stop waging war - ever. Israel is allowed to defend itself in a war and has gone well beyond the international standards for minimizing civilians deaths in warfare. Far more than the US and other western countries did in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the fight against Al Queda/Isis.

So when people point to the Israel efforts to minimize deaths - which far exceed any other warring nation's - it is not a dismissal of the deaths themselves. It is to point out they were unavoidable given Israel's unequivocal right to defend itself from Hamas. That is the sad reality.

And I note that you and others decrying the civilian deaths have not provided an alternative. Given that Hamas has intentionally hidden behind civilians/hospitals/mosques., how does Israeal remove Hamas from power without killing civilians. I'll wait patiently for you answer.

I'm also looking forward to your posts (and those of other Hamas sympathizers) lamenting the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of civilian deaths (mostly arabs/muslim) in Lebanon, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. I'm sure you'll also post about Asaad's massacre of Palestinians in Syria.

After that, maybe you'll all post about the 1.7M Afghanis expelled from Pakistan last week or maybe the persistent Chinese mistreatment of Uyghurs.

Absent posts like that and your providing a proposed solution for removing Hamas without civilian deaths, I might start to think you're holding Israel to an impossible double standard.
KPG
BearGoggles said:

KPG said:

One thing I know, is that prior to 1917 there was not an independent nation/state called Palestine and there were not people who identified as "Palestinians."

That is the problem with your worldview and, quite bluntly, your selective sources of history. When does history start? At what point do the settler colonialist (which would include Muslim conquerors from circa 610 CE) become victims of the set of next conquerors? Why aren't the Arab Muslims - who directly descend form the Muslim conquerors - settlers?

It is pure silliness. Taken to the extreme, we know as a historical fact that Jews were in what we now call Israel long before Muslims or the people now called Palestinians. But it doesn't matter, because conquerors/settlers came and went for thousands of years.

All of human history involves dispossessing people from their land, usually with violence. Full stop.

And while you claim I have little understanding of the West Bank, I think you have a lot of misunderstandings of how religious freedom works in Gaza and the West Bank (not to mention the treatment of other groups, like LGBTQ people)

Yes - Hamas engaged in a purging (or if you like ethnic cleansing).

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/10/03/vanishing-arab-christians-gaza-hamas-di-giovanni-book/

And the PA in West Bank is not much better.

https://forthemartyrs.com/palestines-vanishing-christian-population/

What happens in the West Bank if a Muslim wants to convert to Christianity?

Your description of the Basic Law is woefully incomplete and ignores that Islam is the official religion of the PA.

"The PA Basic Law, which serves as an interim constitution, establishes Islam as the official religion and states the principles of sharia shall be the main source of legislation but provides for freedom of belief, worship, and the performance of religious rites unless they violate public order or morality"

Sure seems like the final 7 words (not to mention the imposition of Sharia law) significantly qualify your claim of religious freedom. But according to you, I'm the one who is uninformed and doesn't understand what really happens in the West Bank?.

https://www.state.gov/reports/2022-report-on-international-religious-freedom/israel-west-bank-and-gaza/west-bank-and-gaza/#:~:text=The%20PA%20Basic%20Law%2C%20which,violate%20public%20order%20or%20morality.

The most amazing part of your post is your equivocation on points 1, 2 and 3. Some Jewish settlements in the hypothetical PA State are ok; others must be removed. Jews in the hypothetical Palestinian state would have ostensible religious freedom, though in practice you acknowledge they would not be equal citizens. The PA state would have no obligation to accept any Jewish immigrants or for that matter any immigrants.

You accept all of these traits, realities, and nuance in a hypothetical Palestinian state. But you view the analogous situations in Israel as intolerable apartheid. It seems many of the things you find condemnable about Israel are just fine in hypothetical Palestine.

Theories of settler colonialism have destroyed many peoples ability to think. If all that matters is perceived victimhood, then there is no real legal or moral principles. Just political ideology.

Your conflation of not having full religious freedom with apartheid rule is a monumental leap. It's not just a fun woke buzzword, it's a literal description of the state of affairs. Most countries have minorities experiencing religious prosecutions, but most countries don't have apartheid rule and 50+ year military occupations of a separate, unequal population.

And taking land by force is fine because it's part of human history? Is that your argument you're going with? Rape and murder are present throughiut human history, full stop, so I guess since that's just a part of human history, we should never condemn it in the modern world, and in fact we should send billions of our tax dollars to aid and abet it, since there's nothing ahistorical about it.
Cal88
CaliforniaEternal said:

You get your facts on the middle east and world views from a Netflix series?
Cal88
BearGoggles said:

KPG said:

Saying that there were no Palestinians before 1917 is like saying there were no Italians before 1861, as Italy did not exist as a nation-state before that.

KPG
This is the same bizarre woke thinking on the fringe left that tries to control the terms of debate by requiring performance aknowledgements of unrelated matters as a litmus or purity test. So now I can't speak out on the issue of Israel and Palestine credibly in a thread about Israel and Palestine without first acknowledging every single other similar related atrocity?

Look at the Strip, see photos and videos of the wanton destruction. You're quivering over the accuracy of numbers from an area with a full media blackout, bombed news stations, bombed reporters, etc. Surely Hamas is lying and only 15 people are dead?

The UN numbers came from the UN, but I guess they deserved it since they're UN Hamas terrorists. The children deserved it since they're children Hamas terrorists.

If only Jimmy Carter had the acute military acumen to bomb the US Embassy in Tehran perhaps he'd be a two term president, after all, there were terrorists in there! Any lives lost would be the fault of the terrorists. Apparently the only way to deal with terrorists is to bomb the living hell out of buildings.

Surely this time it will lead to a lasting peace.
Zippergate
Saying that there were no Palestinians before 1917 is like saying there were no Italians before 1861, as Italy did not exist as a nation-state before that.

This is a poor analogy imo. Italy was made up of mostly independent, self-governing city states before unification. The people who now identify as Palestinians have never been independent nor governed themselves. There was no self-identification as Palestinians; that's a recent construct. The small numbers of non-Jews could have emigrated to Jordan or choose to live in a Jewish state as many have.

Who are the real "colonists" here? The Al-Aqsa mosque is built on the foundation of the one and only Jewish temple. Who built the Hagia Sophia? The so-called victims in this dispute are part of the brotherhood of the world's most successful colonists in history. And it continues to this very day. If these people are not colonists, the term has no meaning.
Cal88
Zippergate said:

This is a poor analogy imo. Italy was made up of mostly independent, self-governing city states before unification. The people who now identify as Palestinians have never been independent nor governed themselves. There was no self-identification as Palestinians; that's a recent construct. The small numbers of non-Jews could have emigrated to Jordan or choose to live in a Jewish state as many have.

Who are the real "colonists" here? The Al-Aqsa mosque is built on the foundation of the one and only Jewish temple. Who built the Hagia Sophia? The so-called victims in this dispute are part of the brotherhood of the world's most successful colonists in history. And it continues to this very day. If these people are not colonists, the term has no meaning.

Palestine was colonized, by the Ottomans for several centuries, then by the British. This does not mean that Palestinians never existed, or that they did not identify as Palestinians, the region was always referred to as Palestine, the same way the mediterranan peninsula south of the Alps was always referred to as Italy. They spoke/speak a Palestinian dialect that is distinct from other dialects spoken in the region.
sycasey
I am sympathetic to Palestine in this conflict, but I do agree that the use of "settler colonialism" to describe only Jews and/or Israel is poorly applied. Depending on the timeline, everyone there is descended from colonizers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.