Final Election Prediction

107,192 Views | 1183 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concordtom
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

concordtom said:

okaydo said:

From NBC website

First Read: Win or lose, Trump and his politics look like they're here to stay

WASHINGTON Whether or not President Trump ultimately wins or loses and the remaining vote appears to be strong for Joe Biden Trumpism looks like it's here to stay.

Democrats were hoping for a repudiation of Trump; that a GOP loss so big would force Republicans to the negotiating table, to try to compete for votes in urban/suburban America, and to dial down the scorched-earth politics over the last few years.

Instead, even if Trump doesn't win, he might have helped the GOP keep its Senate majority and pick up House seats when Republicans looked destined to lose them.

Bottom line: Even if he's voted out of office as we continue to count the votes in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin Trump and his brand of politics aren't leaving the political scene.

Urban versus rural. Those with college degrees versus those without. Women versus men.

And those divides will affect how this country tries to recover from a pandemic, an economic recession and social/racial tensions across the country.

I wonder if Trumpism is like Obamaism.

Trump and Obama were uniquely charismatic presidents who drew a lot of people who wanted to vote for them, and perhaps only for them.

I wonder how many Trump fans will actually vote for a Boring Republican.
I wonder if the first two years of a Biden Presidency will be a moderate waiting game until 2022, when they can take over the Senate, and THEN pass legislation to bring additional voters into the mix for 2024.

Lots of latinos don't get to vote. Control of Senate could pass Daca citizenship issues that help Dems.
Puerto Rico and other US territories don't have a say in the electoral college. Though, this would require 2/3rds of states to make them a state, no?
Lots of felons don't get to vote, though I understand that's a states right issue.
How else can the Dems work things to construct a WH win in 2024?

No blue wave, Biden will need to go patiently, and this could cause a lot of progressives to get pissed off and blow everything up. McConnell becomes the Red Wall in the senate. Nothing will happen for 2 years in the USA. Look for more national contentiousness.

But at least the monster in control of everything will be gone.

smh
sycasey said:

Biden is probably winning, but the lack of a big victory margin means Democrats are still f***ed on gerrymandering for the next generation.
nawww.. decadal redistricting is the duty of all 50 States, not the feds.

# go census
LunchTime
concordtom said:

LunchTime said:

Michigan is solid blue. All the missing votes are heavily blue. I think they will get double what they need to tie.

PA looks like a toss-up. Most of the uncounted are blue, but even increasing the lead its very close.

GA looks like its blue.

Biden 286, I think. Postpone the Civil War two years.
I tell you what - I'm going to chug this last glass of vodka if only so I can fall asleep.
I have no idea how you are postulating that Biden can overcome the deficits in all these states. If so, I'll wake up and the bad dream will have been just that. If I don't wake up, well, it's just as well.
Last night I went county by county in the uncalled states.

Then I projected a gain in lead by 5% towards Biden (ie if Biden has a 20% lead in the county, I give him a 21% lead on remaining votes) if his gap is smaller than Hillary's.

I measured how many votes biden would need to flip, and counted how margin in the mia counties.
LunchTime
BearForce2 said:

LunchTime said:

Michigan is solid blue. All the missing votes are heavily blue. I think they will get double what they need to tie.

PA looks like a toss-up. Most of the uncounted are blue, but even increasing the lead its very close.

GA looks like its blue.

What site are you getting your info from?
Vote counts. I am pulling my own data.

The media cant predict winners becuase they would look stupid if they were wrong. I am not afraid of being stupid, because no one is paying attention to me.
sycasey
smh said:

sycasey said:

Biden is probably winning, but the lack of a big victory margin means Democrats are still f***ed on gerrymandering for the next generation.
nawww.. decadal redistricting is the duty of all 50 States, not the feds.

# go census

That's the point. Republicans are maintaining control of state houses Democrats hoped to flip.
concordtom
LunchTime said:

concordtom said:

LunchTime said:

GA looks like its blue.

I tell you what - I'm going to chug this last glass of vodka if only so I can fall asleep.
I have no idea how you are postulating that Biden can overcome the deficits in all these states. If so, I'll wake up and the bad dream will have been just that. If I don't wake up, well, it's just as well.
Last night I went county by county in the uncalled states.

Then I projected a gain in lead by 5% towards Biden (ie if Biden has a 20% lead in the county, I give him a 21% lead on remaining votes) if his gap is smaller than Hillary's.

I measured how many votes biden would need to flip, and counted how margin in the mia counties.
Congratulations. For real.
Where do I send the case of beer?
sycasey
okaydo said:

concordtom said:

okaydo said:

From NBC website

First Read: Win or lose, Trump and his politics look like they're here to stay

WASHINGTON Whether or not President Trump ultimately wins or loses and the remaining vote appears to be strong for Joe Biden Trumpism looks like it's here to stay.

Democrats were hoping for a repudiation of Trump; that a GOP loss so big would force Republicans to the negotiating table, to try to compete for votes in urban/suburban America, and to dial down the scorched-earth politics over the last few years.

Instead, even if Trump doesn't win, he might have helped the GOP keep its Senate majority and pick up House seats when Republicans looked destined to lose them.

Bottom line: Even if he's voted out of office as we continue to count the votes in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin Trump and his brand of politics aren't leaving the political scene.

Urban versus rural. Those with college degrees versus those without. Women versus men.

And those divides will affect how this country tries to recover from a pandemic, an economic recession and social/racial tensions across the country.

I wonder if Trumpism is like Obamaism.

Trump and Obama were uniquely charismatic presidents who drew a lot of people who wanted to vote for them, and perhaps only for them.

I wonder how many Trump fans will actually vote for a Boring Republican.
Yes, that's the open question. It's clear Trump has the ability to turn out low-propensity voters at an unusual rate (though apparently not quite enough to offset the repulsed suburban voters who are preventing his reelection), but it's not clear that "Trumpism" will work without Trump on the ballot.
concordtom
Is Peters going to hold onto his Senate seat in Michigan?
smh
concordtom said:

Is Peters going to hold onto his Senate seat in Michigan
8:10am nytimes senate reads like this.. (paywall down?)
Quote:

John James Republican 2,483,054 49.3%
Gary Peters* Democrat 2,449,043 48.7
Valerie Willis Other 46,049 0.9
Marcia Squier Green 35,646 0.7
Doug Dern Other 18,473 0.4
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-michigan.html

sycasey
smh said:

concordtom said:

Is Peters going to hold onto his Senate seat in Michigan
8:10am nytimes senate reads like this.. (paywall down?)
Quote:

John James Republican 2,483,054 49.3%
Gary Peters* Democrat 2,449,043 48.7
Valerie Willis Other 46,049 0.9
Marcia Squier Green 35,646 0.7
Doug Dern Other 18,473 0.4
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-michigan.html

Looks like the answer is yes.
concordtom
I've been looking at Yahoo's board.
Yes, Peters is down and looking out. But that's how it looked for Biden when I went to sleep. There are still votes coming in and maybe Peters can flip it, too. Not looking good, though.
smh
sycasey said:

There are still votes coming in and maybe Peters can flip it, too.
guess i buried the nytimes lede,,
> 89% REPORTED

word on the street claims absentees run Blue
concordtom
Senate
1 seat is up for election this year

Candidates % Votes Winner
John James 49.3% 2,544,112
Gary Peters * 48.9% 2,522,717
Valerie Willis 0.9% 47,588
Marcia Squier 0.7% 36,229
Doug Dern 0.2% 12,331
* Incumbent

96% of estimated votes counted

Down by 20k?
with not much left to come in?
sycasey
concordtom said:

Senate
1 seat is up for election this year

Candidates % Votes Winner
John James 49.3% 2,544,112
Gary Peters * 48.9% 2,522,717
Valerie Willis 0.9% 47,588
Marcia Squier 0.7% 36,229
Doug Dern 0.2% 12,331
* Incumbent

96% of estimated votes counted

Down by 20k?
with not much left to come in?
What's left is heavily, heavily blue (mail ballots from Detroit) so Peters should be able to close that gap.
sycasey
Wisconsin says nothing left to count. Biden up 20k.

It's over. Recounts don't reverse that kind of margin.
smh
sycasey said:

What's left is heavily, heavily blue (mail ballots from Detroit) so Peters should be able to close that gap.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-michigan-senate.html

Quote:

Absentee votes by candidate.
Candidate Votes Pct.
Peters 595,951 62.4%
James 345,677 36.2
# go bears
BearChemist
That requires 60-65k outstanding mail ballots for Peters to have a shot.
sycasey
BearChemist said:

I think that the remaining mail ballots should tilt more heavily Dem than that, since they're mostly coming out of Detroit.
concordtom
BearChemist said:

5M counted so far and yahoo's election page says 96% in.
1% of 5M is 50,000, so 4% would mean 200,000 more to come???
If that's the case, then maybe he can eek out a late win.
Wow.

That would put the Senate at 48-48 with GOP leading in Maine (Collins) and NC (Tillis), but not yet decided, last I checked. Also the 2 Georgia seats - one will likely go Red and the other to a runoff (Red, in January).

Agreed?
BearChemist
Maine Senate race is hard to tell... They use the rank choice system, so if Collins doesn't get over 50% all the third party candidates' votes will be redistributed. Gideon still has a shot but that depends on the remaining ballots.

If David Purdue doesn't get >50% in the final count that race will also go to January run-off.
concordtom
Georgia official on CNN:
200,000 absentee ballots left to be counted, about 74,000 in Fulton County (Atlanta).
Biden trails by 100,000 by yahoo's tracker.

Biden would have to win 3-1: 150,000 to 50,000

I don't see it.

.... Further, I don't see GA providing a Dem Senator in any runoff. They continue to lose in GA.
concordtom
BearChemist said:

Maine Senate race is hard to tell... They use the rank choice system, so if Collins doesn't get over 50% all the third party candidates' votes will be redistributed. Gideon still has a shot but that depends on the remaining ballots.

If David Purdue doesn't get >50% in the final count that race will also go to January run-off.
Collins has 51.1%
Purdue has 50.7%

still counting, but those paths don't look good.
LunchTime
concordtom said:

Is Peters going to hold onto his Senate seat in Michigan?
I mark it as a leaning towards D.

It isnt often that there is a split ticket anymore, and wayne county is still only 69% (already ahead 65.6%) while the rest of the state that could go deeper red is already in or small numbers.

It would take a hell of a shift in that county on uncounted votes to give R a lead, and we know what votes are being counted are not likely to shift away from 2/3 D.
BearChemist
concordtom said:

Georgia official on CNN:
200,000 absentee ballots left to be counted, about 74,000 in Fulton County (Atlanta).

I don't see it.

.... Further, I don't see GA providing a Dem Senator in any runoff. They continue to lose in GA.
That's the thing, last night the absentee ballots from Milwaukee are ~75% Dem, so 3-1. GA still has a shot, I believe that NYT's model even gives Biden a slight edge based on the known data and remaining precincts.
concordtom
hanky1
concordtom said:

hanky1 said:

concordtom said:

Well said, D.

It's the equivalent of the "shy Trump voter". The "shy racist". Closet.
oh jesus have you guys learned nothing from the 2016 election?

Doesn't look like you'll learn from 2020 either?
Okay, Hanky - you're so smart.
What am I missing?

That it's cool to screw other women? To grab them? To split up immigrating families as a border deterrent? To incite violence? To F up the environment? .... I can't go on citing all the terrible things about Trump's Party. You tell me.

The hints to the answer to your question are here

sycasey
BearChemist said:

concordtom said:

Georgia official on CNN:

I don't see it.

That's the thing, last night the absentee ballots from Milwaukee are ~75% Dem, so 3-1. GA still has a shot, I believe that NYT's model even gives Biden a slight edge based on the known data and remaining precincts.
Yup, that's the dynamic people need to understand here. The absentee/mail-in ballots are VERY blue. Way more than in any other previous election, because Democrats wanted to avoid COVID and Republicans were encouraged to vote in person. The margins we've seen can absolutely close these gaps.
BearChemist
FWIW Peters just pulled ahead in the ABC tally.
wifeisafurd
BearChemist said:

so where does that leave the Senate, 50 to 49, awaiting Georgia runoff?
smh
BearChemist
wifeisafurd said:

BearChemist said:

Gideon just conceded to Collins, assuming Purdue and Tillis hold on then yes.... Jan. 5th run off will decide the Senate if Biden wins the presidential race. Sounds like a wildcard race already.
concordtom
wifeisafurd said:

BearChemist said:

52-48, presuming ME NC and both GA go Red.
concordtom
smh said:

Ha! So that explains the Polish jokes I was hearing last night.
concordtom
BearChemist said:

Not yet on Yahoo's tracker.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

BearForce2 said:

Clinton didn't do well in the Midwest and Biden is doing even worse. To quote the late great Chick Hearn, Biden's chances are slim and none and slim just left the building.

It's really not clear, since mail-in votes haven't been counted and are expected to be heavily blue. So we'll have to wait and see.

The Great Pumpkin is not going to come.
Just wanted to highlight another instance of Cal88 being wrong here. The mail-in votes were indeed as blue as I expected.

In fairness, there has been a lot of room for people to be wrong in this thread, on both sides of the aisle. The result is very much in the middle of our expectations. But I did say Biden's lead was probably big enough to withstand a polling miss in Trump's direction, and that appears to be holding up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.