The Non-Yogi Israel-Palestine war thread

189,435 Views | 2533 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by tequila4kapp
BearGoggles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

Question: is a two-state solution even feasible? I'm not confident such a thing would actually hold in the long run; the problem is that the Jews and the Muslims both want the same land.

If you read historical accounts, the problem is not occupancy of the same land. The division of land was largely resolved (return to 1967 borders, with trades for security and settlements) and some sort of joint authority (dual capitals) in Jerusalem.

I understand the central problem are;

1. To this point, the Palestinians have insisted upon a literal right of return which is interpreted by Israelis as a means to destroy the Jewish character of Israel. There were several attempts to bridge the gap by offering compensation or a limited symbolic right of return. Those were rejected by Abbas.

2. Fundamentally, at this point the Israelis have no basis for expecting their security concerns will be addressed by any formulation

My personal opinion is that Abbas was incapable of making peace because his entire existence was based on being the rebel fighter. His rhetoric - which largely continues to be employed by others to this day - does not prepare the Palestinian people for compromise. "From the river to the sea" is not a call for peace - it is a call for a the destruction of Israel.

Israel has made many mistakes and has contributed to/reinforced many of cycles of violence. But Israel has a large center left/left contingent that advocate for peace. Who are the people in Palestinian society that advocate for a true two state solution? There is a reason most of the Arab world is no longer willing to advocate for Palestinians.
concordtom
wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

kal kommie said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

socaltownie said:

At the core I really do believe that is the core challenge - that the majority in Israel want it as a "jewish state" even though demographics are against them and that too many in the Palestinian community want Palestine as a "muslim state" even though that ignores the reality of 8 million jews without really an enlightenment inspired polical culture that elevates tolerance to a central position. I readily admit that such a view doesn't get us to a solution.
Yeah, I generally agree with that. Ethnostates don't work in the long run, but Israel and Palestine want to be ethnostates. Not sure what changes the mindset. Maybe people get tired of all the fighting.
A pox on both their houses. America should stay out of it.
On this point: what is the case for the US continuing to support Israel? Does it benefit us in some material way?
No. In fact it harms us. Gets us involved in things that should have nothing to do with us.
It is impossible for America to stay out of it because we are already in it. We are already not simply involved but integral to what has happened there for 50 years. We provide critical military, intelligence, economic, technological, diplomatic and ideological support for Israel in massive quantities.

Every journey begins with a single step
Naive is one thing, head in the sand is another. Have you been listing to our President and the news of our the actions of our military forces streaming towards the Middle East? Forget history, Biden just promised he will support Israel and when pushed now far that support will go, promised he won't put troops on the ground.....in Gaza.

For a big picture, the US can get a two state solution probably with the PLO and Abbas, but not with Iran backed Hamas controlling Gaza. Thus, having Israel destroy Hamas is in the Biden Administration's interest. You can debate the Biden administration's strategy (and to what degree Biden''s close friend Netanyahu will cooperate), but if Biden pulls all this off, he is line for a Nobel Peace Prize. Sorta the ultimate prize for every US President in the last several decades, being able to bring peace to the Middle East.

And that should keep the 666 Devil from winning, therefore I support this notion.

The Devil will destroy all of earth, mankind, and outer space too!

(And for the record, that devil is trump - of course!)
concordtom
wifeisafurd said:

socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

This morning I suggested to my wife that the Israeli security lapse seems hard to believe and what if Netanyahu wanted this to happen like some claim FDR knew Pearl Harbor was coming.

Then this:

"In one of the said warnings, Egypt's Intelligence Minister General Abbas Kamel personally called Netanyahu only 10 days before the massive attack that Gazans were likely to do "something unusual, a terrible operation," according to the Ynet news site.

"Unnamed Egyptian officials told the site they were shocked by Netanyahu's indifference to the news and said the premier told the minister the military was "submerged" in troubles in the West Bank."

Netanyahu's tRumpian response: "This is completely fake news."

Egypt intelligence official says Israel ignored repeated warnings of 'something big' | The Times of Israel

https://www.timesofisrael.com/egypt-intelligence-official-says-israel-ignored-repeated-warnings-of-something-big/

*I don't know whether Egypt's claim of a warning is true or not, but if it's true, Bibi's enemies within will get a spotlight on it.
Bib's enemies are now supporting a unified "war cabinet" which includes a member from all parties. So one thing Hamas succeeded in is turning a peace movement in a divided Israel into a unified war movement led by Bibi.
WHich is probably a good thing. Some of the reports (I don't follow internal Israel politics much at all) suggest that a problem for Bibi was that because his ruling coalition has a number of small West Bank Settler parties he has been much more focused on weakening the PA and enabling settlers which took attention off hamas and gaza. If the unity party diminshes the wacky fring of the settler movement that is a damm good thing because they are nearly as bad as Hamas and would be if they were politically powerless.
The war cabinet probably folds once the Gaza Strip is obliterated, which likely is sooner than later.

Death toll prediction?
dimitrig
sycasey said:

Question: is a two-state solution even feasible? I'm not confident such a thing would actually hold in the long run; the problem is that the Jews and the Muslims both want the same land.

Why don't they share it like they did for hundreds of years before England got involved?

I will tell you why. A sizable faction of Jews don't want to share the land.

The correct solution isn't a two state solution. It is a one state solution, but the current leaders of Israel will never permit that as Jews would be the minority population.

I am no fan of Hamas but keeping Palestinians holed up in a small section of what was also their land too shows what role Israel thinks they should have in determining the fate of the country.

Long-term that is unsustainable. They have to figure out a way to integrate them into Israeli society instead of treating them as second class citizens.

On the other side, the Palestinians can't engage in terrorism to make their point. Iran and others goad them into these actions instead of diplomatic solutions. It is ill-advised and wholly unnecessary when they have demographics on their side.

concordtom
Interesting posit
I'd agree

https://www.yahoo.com/news/west-enemies-betting-debt-addled-050000853.html

BearHunter
Isn't the end goal the annihilation of Jews? If time permits, beheading them?
movielover
Details, details.
BearGoggles
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

Why don't they share it like they did for hundreds of years before England got involved?

The correct solution isn't a two state solution. It is a one state solution, but the current leaders of Israel will never permit that as Jews would be the minority population.

I am no fan of Hamas but keeping Palestinians holed up in a small section of what was also their land too shows what role Israel thinks they should have in deterring the fate of the country.

Long-term that is unsustainable. They have to figure out a way to integrate them into Israeli society instead of second class citizens.

On the other side, the Palestinians can't engage in terrorism to make their point. Iran and others goad them into these actions instead of diplomatic solutions. It is ill-advised and wholly unnecessary when they have demographics on their side.

Fact check time - what is the sizable portion of the Jews who don't want to share the land? What is your number? How does this compare to the percentage of Palestinians that don't want to share the land?

You need to be very specific here because a statement like that treads very close to antisemitism. Is it only Jews that don't want to share?

Which group refused to accept the 1948 partition - which group was unwilling to "share" then? Which group gave up land for peace (Sinai) and has offered to do so again? Which group has people chanting from the river to the sea?

Israel was founded as a safe haven for Jews. Do you have a problem with Jews wanting to have a Jewish state and preserve its Jewish nature? Do you have the same problem with the Vatican and or the 27 countries that have adopted Islam as the state religion? Why do you think its unreasonable for Jews to want to have their own country when so many other countries are explicitly religious?

It is truly awful that the Palestinians live in terrible circumstances that are about to get worse. But the old saying remains true:

If the Palestinians lay down their arms, there will be no more war (and they would have a country). If the Israelis lay down their weapons, there will be no more Israel. Until that changes, the Palestinians are destined to suffer.

The first step to improving conditions for Palestinians is getting rid of Hamas and their corrupt PA. Until that happens, nothing will change.

movielover
Get ready for an extended response that will be recalled for "decades".
wifeisafurd
concordtom said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

This morning I suggested to my wife that the Israeli security lapse seems hard to believe and what if Netanyahu wanted this to happen like some claim FDR knew Pearl Harbor was coming.

Then this:

"In one of the said warnings, Egypt's Intelligence Minister General Abbas Kamel personally called Netanyahu only 10 days before the massive attack that Gazans were likely to do "something unusual, a terrible operation," according to the Ynet news site.

"Unnamed Egyptian officials told the site they were shocked by Netanyahu's indifference to the news and said the premier told the minister the military was "submerged" in troubles in the West Bank."

Netanyahu's tRumpian response: "This is completely fake news."

Egypt intelligence official says Israel ignored repeated warnings of 'something big' | The Times of Israel

https://www.timesofisrael.com/egypt-intelligence-official-says-israel-ignored-repeated-warnings-of-something-big/

*I don't know whether Egypt's claim of a warning is true or not, but if it's true, Bibi's enemies within will get a spotlight on it.
Bib's enemies are now supporting a unified "war cabinet" which includes a member from all parties. So one thing Hamas succeeded in is turning a peace movement in a divided Israel into a unified war movement led by Bibi.
WHich is probably a good thing. Some of the reports (I don't follow internal Israel politics much at all) suggest that a problem for Bibi was that because his ruling coalition has a number of small West Bank Settler parties he has been much more focused on weakening the PA and enabling settlers which took attention off hamas and gaza. If the unity party diminshes the wacky fring of the settler movement that is a damm good thing because they are nearly as bad as Hamas and would be if they were politically powerless.
The war cabinet probably folds once the Gaza Strip is obliterated, which likely is sooner than later.

Death toll prediction?
Israel is dropping about 1,000 tons of bombs per day in a small, densely populated area.

Water system - gone
Electrical system - gone
Transportation system mostly gone
Banking system - gone
Food storage - gone (but can be replaced)
Fuel storage - mostly gone
Government buildings - mostly gone
Housing: 25% gone. Any area used by Hamas will be bombed and then bull dozed. (The UN has said 125,000 in Gaza have been displaced already by air strikes (hard to say if this number is accurate)

Israel in the past has provided knock on roof warnings before bombing buildings -they will not do so this time due to the indiscrimiant nature of the Hamas attack and use of prisoners. I suspect the death and injuries will be far more substantial this time accordingly. There never is an accurate number (at least in the prior wars against Saddam), and I assume that will be true here. Given the high density in population, assume the worst.

dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

kal kommie said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

socaltownie said:

At the core I really do believe that is the core challenge - that the majority in Israel want it as a "jewish state" even though demographics are against them and that too many in the Palestinian community want Palestine as a "muslim state" even though that ignores the reality of 8 million jews without really an enlightenment inspired polical culture that elevates tolerance to a central position. I readily admit that such a view doesn't get us to a solution.
Yeah, I generally agree with that. Ethnostates don't work in the long run, but Israel and Palestine want to be ethnostates. Not sure what changes the mindset. Maybe people get tired of all the fighting.
On this point: what is the case for the US continuing to support Israel? Does it benefit us in some material way?
No. In fact it harms us. Gets us involved in things that should have nothing to do with us.
It is impossible for America to stay out of it because we are already in it. We are already not simply involved but integral to what has happened there for 50 years. We provide critical military, intelligence, economic, technological, diplomatic and ideological support for Israel in massive quantities.

Naive is one thing, head in the sand is another. Have you been listing to our President and the news of our the actions of our military forces streaming towards the Middle East? Forget history, Biden just promised he will support Israel and when pushed now far that support will go, promised he won't put troops on the ground.....in Gaza.

For a big picture, the US can get a two state solution probably with the PLO and Abbas, but not with Iran backed Hamas controlling Gaza. Thus, having Israel destroy Hamas is in the Biden Administration's interest. You can debate the Biden administration's strategy (and to what degree Biden''s close friend Netanyahu will cooperate), but if Biden pulls all this off, he is line for a Nobel Peace Prize. Sorta the ultimate prize for every US President in the last several decades, being able to bring peace to the Middle East.

Weird, but ok. Next time you disagree with our government I'll just say you have your head in the sand. Should be pretty frequent.
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
wifeisafurd
dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

kal kommie said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

socaltownie said:

Weird, but ok. Next time you disagree with our government I'll just say you have your head in the sand. Should be pretty frequent.
You can disagree all you want, but to suggest the US won't become involved is very, very, very. late to the party.
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

kal kommie said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

socaltownie said:

You can disagree all you want, but to suggest the US won't become involved is very, very, very. late to the party.

I'm expressing my opinion, not making predictions about what will happen. Again, your reading comprehension fails you.
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

Iran International: Biden's Iran Policy Comes Under Focus With Attack On Israel"

Biden & Blinken took off sanctions and effectively handed them tens of Billions of dollars.

Sunday, 10/08/2023

""Since Biden took office Iran's accessible foreign exchange reserves went from <$6B (same as Haiti!) to $70B," posted David Greenaway, Director of Centre for National Defense, "anyone arguing this doesn't support terrorism is either wholly ignorant, lying, or both." "

https://www.iranintl.com/en/202310082957
Funny how some people have decided Iranian news agencies are a credible information source.
concordtom
In considering all this complex war stuff…

Biden was chairman of the senate foreign relations committee.

Trump had to ask why we can't use nukes, and shares our military secrets to whoever happens to be around.

kal kommie
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

If you read historical accounts, the problem is not occupancy of the same land. The division of land was largely resolved (return to 1967 borders, with trades for security and settlements) and some sort of joint authority (dual capitals) in Jerusalem.

1. To this point, the Palestinians have insisted upon a literal right of return which is interpreted by Israelis as a means to destroy the Jewish character of Israel. There were several attempts to bridge the gap by offering compensation or a limited symbolic right of return. Those were rejected by Abbas.

2. Fundamentally, at this point the Israelis have no basis for expecting their security concerns will be addressed by any formulation

My personal opinion is that Abbas was incapable of making peace because his entire existence was based on being the rebel fighter. His rhetoric - which largely continues to be employed by others to this day - does not prepare the Palestinian people for compromise. "From the river to the sea" is not a call for peace - it is a call for a the destruction of Israel.

Israel has made many mistakes and has contributed to/reinforced many of cycles of violence. But Israel has a large center left/left contingent that advocate for peace. Who are the people in Palestinian society that advocate for a true two state solution? There is a reason most of the Arab world is no longer willing to advocate for Palestinians.
In the early 2000s a basis for the resolution of the land questions (including settlements), security, and Jerusalem seemed within reach, at least between the negotiating teams. However 20 years of "facts on the ground" have annihilated that basis. Continued settlement expansion has already redrawn the map of the West Bank and would seriously complicate any land swap. More importantly, Israel no longer appears willing to consider a divided Jerusalem. Netanyahu has repeatedly declared Jerusalem to be the "eternal, undivided capital of Israel" and Israeli public opinion steadily turned from ambivalent on the issue to being strongly against dividing Jerusalem.

I think the understanding of the "central problem" that Bear Goggles presents is generally valid though I would not characterize Abbas or any leader as the main stumbling block so much as the deeply held opinions of the Palestinian people (insofar as I would be willing to characterize Palestinian attitudes as the stumbling block at all as opposed to Israeli attitudes).

1. Right of return

Palestinian negotiating teams in the early 2000s showed willingness to compromise on the right of return through limitations on the number of refugees who would be allowed into Israel and compensation for the remainder, but Palestinian public opinion has always emphatically rejected these compromises, leaving it unclear as to whether any mutually acceptable agreement could ever have been fulfilled.

2. Security concerns

Again, Palestinian negotiating teams in the early 2000s were willing to compromise by accepting in large measures the Israeli demands for that state to be demilitarized and for Israel to retain at least some security installations in Palestinian territory, but again Palestinian public opinion was strongly against these concessions as they would infringe upon the sovereignty of the future Palestinian state. However, this issue seems to me more tractable than the right of return.

Here's a link to a 3rd party observer summary of what some feel is the most viable negotiation ever between Israeli and Palestinian representatives at Taba in 2001. That opinion was expressed by members of both negotiating teams, with the chief Palestinian negotiator having said they needed only six more weeks to conclude the agreement, but Israel pulled out of the Taba Summit before it could be completed, citing its upcoming elections. Since Labor was kicked out of power in that election, it's likely that even if the negotiators had reached a deal, it would have been stillborn.

https://www.un.org/unispal/document/auto-insert-200101/

Bear Goggles is plainly mistaken about there being a large "center left/left" contingent" in Israeli politics. Likud has controlled the government for 17 of the last 21 years, during which time the left has been decimated. It took a center + center/left (Labor) + left (small parties) coalition to remove Likud from power between 2006-2009. Labor, once the largest Israeli party, has not received more than 6% of the vote since 2013. In the 2022 elections, the seven largest vote shares comprising 80% of the vote went to center right, right, or far right parties while Labor had been reduced to 3.7%. The electoral rise of the right wing, which originates in the late 1970s, has been accompanied by decades of neoliberal "reforms" as throughout the western world, leading as always to rising inequality and immiseration of the working class, a particularly revolutionary outcome in a state that was once politically defined by its commitment to economic social democracy.

Bear Goggles is also mistaken as to the relative levels of support for "peace" in Palestine and Israel. Support for the two state solution between Palestinians and Israeli Jews has been closely mirrored through this century. Up to 2017, polling had consistently indicated that between 45-55% of both demographics supported the two state solution but support on both sides has severely declined since then to around 30% with Palestinian opinion slightly lower than Israeli. Most tellingly, support for the two state solution by Israeli Arabs has crashed from its historical levels exceeding 80% to under 50%. Support for some form of a one state solution has grown in all groups but optimism regarding the prospects for any negotiated solution are virtually at all time lows.

Those are the facts, now for my opinion. I do not believe the people who really hold power in Israel have ever been interested in either a two state solution or a one state solution. This is also the opinion of two of the foremost experts on Israel/Palestine from the left, Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein (both Jewish Americans). A federative single state involves unacceptable power sharing with Palestinians. An integrated single state is incompatible with Israel as a Jewish ethnostate. Any viable Palestinian state created through a two state solution would be an eternal security threat to Israel even if Palestinians agreed at the start to Israel's security concessions.

Moreover, the status quo serves the designs of Israeli maximalists almost perfectly. Remember that just as there are Palestinians who feel their people are entitled to possession of the whole country, there are Israelis who believe the Palestinians are entitled to absolutely nothing, that Eretz Israel belongs entirely to the Jewish people and refuse to consider any concessions except as part of a design to eventually acquire the whole country. This was in fact David Ben Gurion's position with respect to proposals to partition the country, a position he explicitly details in a letter to his son in 1937.

One only needs to consult maps from 1967 and today to see how Israeli maximalists have fulfilled Ben Gurion's vision. The multi-generational process of illegal annexation of the territories conquered in 1967 has slowly but surely disintegrated the Palestinian territory of the West Bank, in addition to netting the Golan Heights and Jerusalem entirely for Israel. On each iteration of the so-called "peace process", Israel is able to confront Palestine with a new set of "facts on the ground". Israel refuses to remove the vast majority of its illegal settlements and those few settlements they are willing to remove become currency in land swaps.

In every negotiation that has ever taken place, the Palestinians are the only ones who are required to make concessions on their rights under international law and the principles of self-determination. They must give some of their unquestionable right to return to their homes lost in the wars and illegal annexations. They must give up some of the sovereignty of their prospective state to the security concerns of their conquerors or endure continued stateless existence. They must legitimize not only the illegal annexations since 1967 but the original negation of their right to political self-determination throughout the country in the creation of the Jewish ethnostate of Israel. Whenever the Palestinians balk at the degree to which they are required to unilaterally surrender rights, Israeli partisans brand them as rejectionist as though they were the ones who have been in continuous violation of international law for 56 years and haughtily refuse to rectify their illegalities.

This is the realist appraisal of the situation, the one taken with the understanding that people are fundamentally self-interested, alone or in groups, and that international relations are based on nothing more than power dynamics. If anyone still does not understand how this applies to the Israeli plan for the the Palestinians, they should consult the candid words of the forthright Israeli warmaster Moshe Dayan after Israel won the 1967 war: "Let's say 'we don't have a solution, and you will continue living like dogs, and whoever wants will go, and we'll see how this procedure will work out." Generations later this is obviously still the plan.
socaltownie
"cIsrael was founded as a safe haven for Jews. Do you have a problem with Jews wanting to have a Jewish state and preserve its Jewish nature? Do you have the same problem with the Vatican and or the 27 countries that have adopted Islam as the state religion? Why do you think its unreasonable for Jews to want to have their own country when so many other countries are explicitly religious?"

Well no but......

The challenge for SOME in Israel is that they want things both ways.....that they want to claim when it suites them to be a liberal democracy but then act otherwise. For example, this episode encouraged me to go back and learn more about how Israel uses emergency war powers declared in 1948 amnd 1967 to prohibit non-permitted assemblies of more than 10 people on the west bank. That **** gets you on the US sanctions list.

I mean the framing you use gets at the problem. 20% of the population in Israel is non-jewish. 700,000 Palestinians fled in 1948. We can quiblble as to whether their fears were justified or not but they did. I mean you (and I) surely thought that what the Croat Christians did in expelling Bosnian Serbs was an afront to liberal democratic norms.

And thus the real challenge for Israel. While today is not the time (when we should all be standing against Hamas and with Israel) it ultimately has to decide whether to forge a way forward that recognizes the reality on the ground - that the geography of the Lavent is multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-regious or if it wants to engage in defacto (and dejure) ethnic cleansening so it can change that reality onthe ground.

I, for one, being a product of western liberalism know where I stand. It is impossible (proven by 100s of years of bloody horrors in Europe) to change people's religious views and cultural affinities. The horrors of such efforts are hell on earth.

concordtom
socaltownie said:

I, for one, being a product of western liberalism know where I stand. It is impossible (proven by 100s of years of bloody horrors in Europe) to change people's religious views and cultural affinities. The horrors of such efforts are hell on earth.

People identify themselves in groups:
NorCal vs SoCal
Cal vs Stanford
Republican vs Democrat
American vs Mexican
Black vs White
Christian vs Jew vs Muslim

Us vs Them
That is the problem.

We seem to be hard wired for it, because we survived the savanna and evolved as a social species, not as individuals.

To know thy clan is to survive.

…. On the other hand, this may be one of the greatest visionaries we've ever had in the White House.

socaltownie
concordtom said:

socaltownie said:

People identify themselves in groups:
NorCal vs SoCal
Cal vs SF
Republican vs Democrat
American vs Mexican
Black vs White
Christian vs Jew vs Muslim

Us vs Them
That is the problem.

We seem to be hard wired for it, because we survived the savanna and evolved as a social species, not as individuals.

Yes but....

The entire project of the Western Elightenment is to acknowledge that BUT then put areas of ones private life "off limits" to the power of the state so as to allow people to live as they want.

I am listening to a facinating podcast series "Revolution" that details (over detais IMHO) 12 revolutions. Time and time again the worst of the worst occurs when one side tries to impose its "identity" on others.

It is messy, incomplete, always in tension but it is the way forward to create the most happiness for the most people because, while we are social we are also each, unique and quirky and wonderful.
concordtom
Okay, how about a "Kennedy Enlightenment", where the state allows everyone to live the way they want, except where we intersect.

I had a boss who said, "your rights end where my rights begin." We were talking about smoking.

We have evolved to become masters of the planet. Congratulations! Superior species #1!
Now we need to evolve again, where the US is everyone, everything, everywhere.
socaltownie
concordtom said:

Okay, how about a "Kennedy Enlightenment", where the state allows everyone to live the way they want, except where we intersect.

I had a boss who said, "your rights end where my rights begin." We were talking about smoking.

We have evolved to become masters of the planet. Congratulations! Superior species #1!
Now we need to evolve again, where the US is everyone, everything, everywhere.
Well it probably is the John Stuart Mills formuation: "Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose"

IMHO much of modern western politics comes down to this - debates over whether or not exercise of rights enfringe upon another.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

Israel was founded as a safe haven for Jews. Do you have a problem with Jews wanting to have a Jewish state and preserve its Jewish nature? Do you have the same problem with the Vatican and or the 27 countries that have adopted Islam as the state religion? Why do you think its unreasonable for Jews to want to have their own country when so many other countries are explicitly religious?
Honestly? Yeah, a little bit.

That's not because I have anything against the Jewish people or their religion. It's because I think this goal effectively creates an ethnostate (Jews are a religious group, but also functionally an ethnic group), and IMO in the long run ethnostates are incompatible with liberal democracy. To maintain your country's pure ethnic makeup you inevitably have to turn to authoritarian measures. I understand, given their history, why Jewish people would want to have this, but working so hard to maintain it will lead them down a dark path. It's already started.

Does that mean the explicitly Muslim (usually fundamentalist Muslim) ethnostates are better? No! That's why Hamas is also bad! They want their own ethnostate for their own people. This is why the conflict is so impossible to resolve, except through violence.
kal kommie
BearGoggles said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

I am no fan of Hamas but keeping Palestinians holed up in a small section of what was also their land too shows what role Israel thinks they should have in deterring the fate of the country.

Long-term that is unsustainable. They have to figure out a way to integrate them into Israeli society instead of second class citizens.

Fact check time - what is the sizable portion of the Jews who don't want to share the land? What is your number? How does this compare to the percentage of Palestinians that don't want to share the land?

You need to be very specific here because a statement like that treads very close to antisemitism. Is it only Jews that don't want to share?

Which group refused to accept the 1948 partition - which group was unwilling to "share" then? Which group gave up land for peace (Sinai) and has offered to do so again? Which group has people chanting from the river to the sea?

It is truly awful that the Palestinians live in terrible circumstances that are about to get worse. But the old saying remains true:

If the Palestinians lay down their arms, there will be no more war (and they would have a country). If the Israelis lay down their weapons, there will be no more Israel. Until that changes, the Palestinians are destined to suffer.

The first step to improving conditions for Palestinians is getting rid of Hamas and their corrupt PA. Until that happens, nothing will change.
Earlier you insinuated without evidence that support for the two state solution was substantially stronger in Israel than in Palestine. What were your numbers? Did you consult polling or just assert your prejudices? Why didn't you feel the need to be very specific there? Can one only be racist when making unsubstantiated assertions about the attitudes of Jewish populations and not Palestinian ones?

BTW if anyone is interested in learning what Palestinians actually think about these issues, this is an excellent polling resource:

https://www.pcpsr.org/en

The Palestinians of course were the ones who rejected the partition of their country. Why wouldn't they? Let's say the US was conquered by a foreign power which allowed tens of millions of people who claim to be descendants of Native Americans (genetic or spiritual) from all over the world to immigrate to the US so they could carve out a new ethnostate. At the behest of the conquering power, the UN puts together a partition plan which gives the new ethnostate half the country. How willing to "share" would you be?

The UN partition plan allocated 55% of Palestine to the Jewish population that comprised only 32% of the country, the majority of whom had immigrated after 1918. Is it just to condemn the Palestinians for rejecting such an outrageously unfair division of their country?

Do you know the history of Israel's occupation of the Sinai? They conquered during their surprise attack against Egypt in 1967. They never had any legitimate claim to the land. What credit should a conqueror be given for doing what international law demands? Well since Israel has refused to comply with international law as regards its conquered Palestinian territories, maybe credit would have been due to Israel with regard to the Sinai if they had returned it for peace but they didn't, at least not voluntarily.

Egypt did not accept Israel's theft of their territory. After recovering some strength following their defeat in 1967, Egypt offered Israel a full peace treaty in exchange for the return of the Sinai, along with an ultimatum that refusal of the offer would lead to war. Israel, having defeated Egypt in two consecutive wars (both times as the aggressor), refused to return their stolen possession to secure peace. They felt the threat was empty and that even if Egypt did attack, Israel would easily thrash them again. But they were wrong on both counts.

In 1973 Egypt (along with Syria and contingents from other Arab countries) followed through on its threat and Israel was caught off guard. In the early stage of the war, defeat looked like a real possibility but Israel, aided by an emergency supply of US arms, turned the tide and launched a counter-invasion of Egypt. At this point the USSR threatened to intervene and fear of escalation prompted the US to step in. A UN backed ceasefire was arranged and eventually negotiations led to a peace treaty in which the Sinai was returned.

So Israel "gave up land for peace", land which it never had legitimate claim to, after fighting a bloody war rather than return that land. Are you sure this episode is a credit to Israel rather than yet another shameful episode of militaristic self-aggrandizement for which they deserve condemnation?

Should we have a problem with Jews wanting their own ethnostate? Does the existence of other ethnostates excuse "the Middle East's only democracy" from being one itself? How can Israel be as Netanyahu declared "The nation-state of the Jewish people, and the Jewish people alone" and still be a liberal democracy? Aren't liberal democracies supposed to be the state of all of their people without regard to their race, ethnicity or religion?

If Jews did deserve their own ethnostate, did the Palestinians deserve to suffer the loss of their own right to self-determination in their own country so Jews could not only have their ethnostate but have it in the geographic location of their choosing?

Non-Jews were 92% of Palestine when it was liberated from the Ottoman Empire in 1918. According to the principles of democratic self-determination, Palestine should have been assisted in immediately organizing elections for a constitutional convention. Instead the rights of the population to self-determination were abrogated by the western dominated League of Nations so that the country could become the "national home for the Jewish people". Britain had already declared its intention to fulfill that end two years before it even received the mandate. The will of the indigenous population was nugatory.

What right did Britain, the (western controlled) League of Nations, or the (western controlled) United Nations have to gift part of Palestine to European Jewish colonists? Why should the Palestinian Arabs be condemned for rejecting a colonial enterprise that was forced upon them, a rejection that should be expected of any indigenous people anywhere?

Israel was born in injustice. Not only was the indigenous population deprived of its right to political self-determination, they were also robbed, murdered and ethnically cleansed before their permanent subjugation. Now you hypothesize about what might happen if they consigned all of the injustices that Israel has inflicted upon them to oblivion and trusted their conqueror enough to utterly submit? Because that's what you would do in their place, get on your knees and beg for some Bantustan your people could shelter in under Israeli domination? Do you know why Hamas was elected in the first place? Because Palestinians are human beings and as a species we tend not to submit to our conquerors unless we have no other choice but annihilation.

I condemn the intentional killing of civilians in war, whether by Hamas, by the US, by Israel, or anyone else. But Palestinians are entitled to the right of armed resistance to their oppressor. Every civilian who is killed in a war of liberation is beyond all else the responsibility of the subjugator. I don't enjoy reading about the civilians who were killed in slave rebellions in the American south and Caribbean, but I refuse to condemn the liberation movements which produced the murders. When a rebelling slave kills the wife and child of their slave master, the master is as responsible as though he was holding the blade hand-in-hand with the rebel slave. If you really want to end the killing, it is Israel who should receive your pressure, not the Palestinians. Israel holds all of the cards here except one: the will to resist injustice in the face of impossible odds.

Zippergate
How many non-Jews inhabited the area prior to the Zionist movement?
kal kommie
Zippergate said:

How many non-Jews inhabited the area prior to the Zionist movement?
The Zionist movement began in the late 19th century; population of Palestine in 1882 has been estimated at 300k with 92% of them non-Jews.

But I don't see how that matters because the country wasn't "liberated" by supposedly enlightened liberal democracies like Britain until 1918. It is at that moment the population should have been given its right to determine their own form of government in accord with the principles expressed in our own Declaration of Independence. At that time the population of Palestine was 660k, still 92% non-Jewish.
Zippergate
It matters a lot. "Palestine" was a absentee-owned wasteland inhabited mostly by bedouins before the Jews came in, bought land and developed it. What followed was a mass migration into the land from neighboring countries. The descendants of those people are "Palestinians" today. Btw, what happened to all the land Jewish land in the Arab world?
kal kommie
Zippergate said:

It matters a lot. "Palestine" was a absentee-owned wasteland inhabited mostly by bedouins before the Jews came in, bought land and developed it. What followed was a mass migration into the land from neighboring countries. The descendants of those people are "Palestinians" today. Btw, what happened to all the land Jewish land in the Arab world?
Source?
socaltownie
This by far is the most depressing of statistics.

"Our findings indicate that both Israeli Jews and Palestinians see the entire land between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan river (i.e., the whole land of Israel/Palestine) as belonging to their group through high and identical scores (93%). Also, the majority among both publics, 94% among the Palestinians and 68% among Israeli Jews, negate the idea that the land belongs to the other side as well, thus perceiving the territory as exclusive to them."

I hate to sound trite but I am reminded of the line from Robert Frost's The Gift Outright

"The land was ours before we were the lands"

Until both sides see themselves as residents of the Levant there isn't likely a way forward. When such strong majorities believe they have such an exclusive claim everything is simply zero sum.

Interesting political science thesis question for any undergrad lurkers - did opinion start to shift before the Good Friday accords toward a shared Northern IRELAND identity - distinct from both London and Dublin that transcended sectarian lines.
tequila4kapp
socaltownie said:

"cIsrael was founded as a safe haven for Jews. Do you have a problem with Jews wanting to have a Jewish state and preserve its Jewish nature? Do you have the same problem with the Vatican and or the 27 countries that have adopted Islam as the state religion? Why do you think its unreasonable for Jews to want to have their own country when so many other countries are explicitly religious?"

Well no but......

The challenge for SOME in Israel is that they want things both ways.....that they want to claim when it suites them to be a liberal democracy but then act otherwise. For example, this episode encouraged me to go back and learn more about how Israel uses emergency war powers declared in 1948 amnd 1967 to prohibit non-permitted assemblies of more than 10 people on the west bank. That **** gets you on the US sanctions list.

I mean the framing you use gets at the problem. 20% of the population in Israel is non-jewish. 700,000 Palestinians fled in 1948. We can quiblble as to whether their fears were justified or not but they did. I mean you (and I) surely thought that what the Croat Christians did in expelling Bosnian Serbs was an afront to liberal democratic norms.

And thus the real challenge for Israel. While today is not the time (when we should all be standing against Hamas and with Israel) it ultimately has to decide whether to forge a way forward that recognizes the reality on the ground - that the geography of the Lavent is multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-regious or if it wants to engage in defacto (and dejure) ethnic cleansening so it can change that reality onthe ground.

I am a bit confused by the bolded part because I think it is the Palestinians who need to make that decision. They have been offered an independent state numerous times. They said No because they want all of the land and they want to literally eliminate Israel/Jews from the face of the earth, not to coexist.

Both sides can (and have) go back and forth about who was there first, who was wronged and when, who commits violence, etc. The bottom line is short of one of the two groups being exterminated they both have to agree to coexist as neighbors. For the better part of 75 years exactly 1 of the 2 groups has agreed to do that.
tequila4kapp
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

I am not an expert in this area but based on what I have read this may not be true. The Palestinians have never agreed to a partition of the land. Starting with the first proposed dual state arrangements the Palestinians rejected any division of the land and any dual state solution because they wanted governance to be determined by self determination. Conveniently, they had a larger population at that time so their justification effectively meant Jews living in an Arab state, which means they got all the land.
Zippergate
A Jewish source with extensive citations. Look, my point isn't to take the side of Israel. Just to point out that your analysis of the situation is just the talking points of one side and doesn't capture many facets of the situation. I would add that the plight of the so-called Palestinians owes as much to their treatment by their Arab brethren as it does to Israel.
MinotStateBeav
Love how Egypt isn't getting any blame in this or any other countries that kicked out Palestinians.
kal kommie
Zippergate said:

A Jewish source with extensive citations. Look, my point isn't to take the side of Israel. Just to point out that your analysis of the situation is just the talking points of one side and doesn't capture many facets of the situation. I would add that the plight of the so-called Palestinians owes as much to their treatment by their Arab brethren as it does to Israel.
What you said in your other post can be easily dismissed as irrelevant for reasons unrelated to it not being true but I won't bother until you cite your source and if you really believe in your argument you will.
Zippergate
I don't have the article about the Palestine population handy since I read it some time ago. But I did clip this, and it covers some of the points I mentioned. It seems clear from your comments that you are really unfamiliar with arguments from the Jewish perspective.

http://www.thetower.org/article/there-was-a-jewish-nakba-and-it-was-even-bigger-than-the-palestinian-one/
kal kommie
Zippergate said:

I don't have the article about the Palestine population handy since I read it some time ago. But I did clip this, and it covers some of the points I mentioned. It seems clear from your comments that you are really unfamiliar with arguments from the Jewish perspective.

http://www.thetower.org/article/there-was-a-jewish-nakba-and-it-was-even-bigger-than-the-palestinian-one/
This presentation of your source would have been comical even it had been on point since it's a 2000 word internet article without citations and you claimed your source had "extensive citations" but more importantly where in this article does it address any of the claims you made except for the "Btw, what happened to all the land Jewish land in the Arab world?" which you well know is not the relevant claim here.

Where does that source validate these claims of yours?

Quote:

"Palestine" was a absentee-owned wasteland inhabited mostly by bedouins before the Jews came in, bought land and developed it. What followed was a mass migration into the land from neighboring countries. The descendants of those people are "Palestinians" today.
This article has absolutely nothing to say about the origins of today's Palestinians. It is only about the expulsion of Jews from other Arab countries which is totally irrelevant because the Palestinians are not responsible for what happened in those countries.

I expected Joan Peters because it is from her 1984 book From Time Immemorial that the modern myths of the origins of the Palestinians are usually taken from and that book was exposed as a fraud in 1995 by Norman Finkelstein in his book Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict. I would be happy to mail you my copy if you would read it.

And you're wrong about my unfamiliarity with arguments from the "Jewish perspective" unless you're claiming that Chomsky, Finkelstein, Gideon Levy and others aren't Jewish. If what you really mean is arguments from the Zionist perspective that would also be untrue because Chomsky, Finkelstein et al extensively cover these arguments. On the other side I've also read Benny Morris.

But to address your original claim about the origins of the Palestinians: even if those claims had been true they would have been irrelevant. The country had a population in 1918 when it was "liberated" by countries that claimed to respect the right of the people of any country to self-determination. It wouldn't have mattered even if it were true that Palestine in 1918 had been predominantly populated by immigrants from the late 19th century and their children.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.