The Non-Yogi Israel-Palestine war thread

189,249 Views | 2533 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by tequila4kapp
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Your position may be based on US aid, but I doubt that's a factor in London, Paris and Madrid.
Actually I think it probably is. Or at least, broad Western support for Israel is a factor there too.

I don't doubt that antisemitism exists too (much more virulently in non-Western nations). I just dislike the kind of simplistic argument that says: "Well, you didn't complain about these OTHER Muslims being oppressed! You must ONLY care about Israel because you're antisemitic." Such arguments allow Netanyahu's government to sidestep criticism of the bad stuff they do.

Hamas' brand of terrorism would exist anyway, but there's a decent argument that they were able to gain power at least in part because of Netanyahu's government supporting them as a way of delegitimizing the PLO. None of this s*** happens in a vacuum.
I've not made the argument that opposition to Israel is entirely anti-semitism. I've said the opposite numerous times.

I have yet to hear a good reason why people in the west generally ignore all ethnic cleansing or persecution by muslims of muslims. Or why Jordan and Egypt (along with other nations in the Middle East) get a pass for their treatment of Palestinians but 100% of the blame for the plight of the Palestinian people has always been put on Israel.

The answer is not because of right wing Israelis and it's not because of anti-semitism in the West. The plight of the Palestinians has from the beginning been an intentional ploy by Middle Eastern nations to drive Israel from the region and what we are seeing now is evidence of how successful they have been in pinning everything on Israel (while intentionally creating a permanent refugee class in Palestinians when none need exist).

If you think I'm wrong, tell me: why is it that no country in the Middle East is willing to take care of any Palestinian people? My Palestinian friends were given refuge in Canada and became citizens there while their parents and other relatives are still stateless refugees without any rights in Syria and other Middle Eastern countries.
I would agree that there is lots of antisemitism in the Middle East and that there certainly are major factions that would like to wipe out Israel and/or the Jews entirely. I am extremely skeptical they'd actually be able to do it, even if the US severely curtailed its military aid tomorrow; plenty have tried and Israel stood strong and beat them back.

I also agree that propaganda emanates from some of these places (Iran especially) to make Israel look as bad as possible. But that's true of a lot of authoritarian regimes and most of them haven't gotten the same traction in the West. IMO the reason there has been more traction against Israel lately is because of Israel's behavior; when Netanyahu actively campaigns against liberal/left politicians in the US, he should not be surprised when liberal/left voters start turning against Israel.

As for why other Middle Eastern countries don't want to take in Palestinians, their argument is that they don't want to set a precedent that Palestinians can simply be driven out of their land and then never allowed to return. Is that the only reason? Do I think these countries are in the right for this? No, but it's a valid argument precisely because Israelis keep seizing Palestinian territory. West Bank policies again coming back to bite the Israelis in the propaganda war.

I'm certainly no fan of illiberal dictatorships or other authoritarian regimes in the Middle East; I'd rather Israel remained a healthy liberal democracy and projected strength and democratic values in the region. But the more they turn away from that the more I will find it impossible to support them. And I know the US and its allies have precious little influence over Iranian policy but could have significant influence over Israel, so while I'm not out there protesting I see the reasoning for it if you're an activist in one of these countries.
10% For The Big Guy
sycasey said:

I'm certainly no fan of illiberal dictatorships or other authoritarian regimes in the Middle East; I'd rather Israel remained a healthy liberal democracy and projected strength and democratic values in the region. But the more they turn away from that the more I will find it impossible to support them.

KPG
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Your position may be based on US aid, but I doubt that's a factor in London, Paris and Madrid.
Actually I think it probably is. Or at least, broad Western support for Israel is a factor there too.

I don't doubt that antisemitism exists too (much more virulently in non-Western nations). I just dislike the kind of simplistic argument that says: "Well, you didn't complain about these OTHER Muslims being oppressed! You must ONLY care about Israel because you're antisemitic." Such arguments allow Netanyahu's government to sidestep criticism of the bad stuff they do.

Hamas' brand of terrorism would exist anyway, but there's a decent argument that they were able to gain power at least in part because of Netanyahu's government supporting them as a way of delegitimizing the PLO. None of this s*** happens in a vacuum.
I've not making the argument that opposition to Israel is entirely anti-semitism. I've said the opposite numerous times.

I have yet to hear a good reason why people in the west generally ignore all ethnic cleansing or persecution by muslims of muslims. Or why Jordan and Egypt (along with other nations in the Middle East) get a pass for their treatment of Palestinians but 100% of the blame for the plight of the Palestinian people has always been put on Israel.

The answer is not because of right wing Israelis and it's not because of anti-semitism in the West. The plight of the Palestinians has from the beginning been an intentional ploy by Middle Eastern nations to drive Israel from the region and what we are seeing now is evidence of how successful they have been in pinning everything on Israel (while intentionally creating a permanent refugee class in Palestinians when none need exist).

If you think I'm wrong, tell me: why is it that no country in the Middle East is willing to take care of any Palestinian people? My Palestinian friends were given refuge in Canada and became citizens there while their parents and other relatives are still stateless refugees without any rights in Syria and other Middle Eastern countries.
Jordan was willing to 'take care' of the Palestinian people. Jordan annexed the West Bank following the 1948 Arab-Israeli war. They held the 1948 Jericho Conference and hundreds of Palestinians in the West Bank accepted Jordanian rule - obviously not all, but enough that it recognized as regionally and internationally legitimate and Jordan was admitted to the UN without objection in 1955. Jordan transferred full Jordanian citizenship rights to 900,000 Palestinian people living in the West Bank, and representation in the Jordanian parliament. This expanded Jordan's population from 400,000 to 1,300,000 - a risky move considering their population was now majority non-Jordanian, but mostly Palestinian. Egypt continued to occupy Gaza prior to the War of 1967 where Palestinians did not enjoy full rights of Egyptian citizenship as they did in Jordan, and Egypt mostly used the Palestinians for political football. Egypt encouraged the creation of the PLO prior to the War on 1967 in part to de-legitimize Jordanian rule of Palestinians in the West Bank.

Regardless, Israel then annexed the West Bank and Gaza following the War of 1967, and it now 53 years later, the longest military occupation in modern history, partly why it attracts so much attention.

Following and acknowledging the various military defeats by Arab armies, the PLO in the 1970s moderated itself, established international legitimacy, and admission to the UN as Observer Status in 1974. The PLO worked then to create a secular democratic single state with Jews, Christians, and Muslims in Palestine. Israel had no interest in this, and preferred a religious state on the land of Mandatory Palestine, but without the Palestinians. This is the precarious status quo of a Jewish state with military occupation of lands with millions of citizens that have unequal rights, that has continued for the last 53 years. Israel up until 1993 refused to negotiate with the PLO regarding the establishment of a Palestinian state - 26 years of military occupation at that point.

To say the Oslo Accords were a great deal would be an overstatement. The Palestinians were led to believe that for accepting independent rule of 22% of Mandatory Palestine territory, they'd have a capital city in Jerusalem. That has not come close to fruition. Israeli PM Rabin was vilified by much of the Zionist right for signing the accords, and was assassinated in 1995. Three short years after the Oslo Accords, in 1996, Netanyahu came to power for the first time, and he immediately and publicly renounced the Oslo Accords as incompatible with Israel's right to security and with the historic right of the Jewish people, who were entitled to the whole land of Israel but without equal rights for the Palestinian population. Israel immediately expanded settlements beyond the Green Line, violence erupted, and Israel since has declared that there can be no negotiation until there is peace, while the actions of Palestinians can be interpreted as until there is justice there can be no peace.

Netanyahu himself said of the Oslo Accords: "The accords which were ratified by parliament, I was asked before the 1996 elections "Will you fulfil them?". I said "Yes, subject to reciprocity and minimizing pullouts". I gave my own interpretation to the agreements, in such a way that will allow me to stop the race back towards the 1967 borders. How did we manage to do this? Nobody defined what 'military facilities' are. So I also defined them as being security zones. The entire Jordan Valley, for me, is a 'military facility'. Like the Beit Shean Valley, you see, go figure. But then there was the question of who will define these military facilities? I received a letter from US Secretary of State Warren Christopher, to me and to Arafat at the same time, saying that Israel, and Israel alone will define the 'military facilities' their location and their size. Now, they didn't want to give me this letter so I refused to ratify the Hebron Accords of 1997, I stopped the government meeting, and I said "I wont sign" and only when the letter has arrived, during that meeting, to me and to Arafat, I signed the Hebron Accords. It's better to give 2% than 100% and this is the choice we faced. You gave 2%, but you stopped the withdrawal, rather than 100%,

In 1993 there was 115,700 illegal Israeli settlers enjoying full rights of Israeli citizenship in the military occupied West Bank. There were over 230,000 by the 2000s, 350,000 by 2012, and now over 750,000 by 2023. Israel by the words of their leaders and by the actions of their government is clearly committing ethnic cleansing with the goal of eradicating the millions of Palestinians from the West Bank by force, to take the land without taking the people, to preserve their religious ethnostate while expanding the land, sans the native people.

You don't need to be an international relations expert to understand that since 1996, Israel's leaders have had no desire to hold up their end of the bargain, and that through their actions their clear goal is to seize control of Palestinian land justified by their historic religious claim on the land.

Palestinian West Bank residents can't vote in Israeli elections, don't have Israeli passports, and don't have equal rights as Israeli settlers, and there is no path forward towards establishing any of those rights, rights are only further eroding as time goes on, including freedom of movement, freedom of commerce, and freedom to farm their own land. Israelis living in West Bank illegal settlements are able to participate in elections for the Knesset, have full Israeli citizenship, and have the full backing and protection of Israeli police and the Israeli military as they expand their illegal settlements.

There's a lot of blame to go around, surely, and I've documented a lot of the Arab world's complete failing of the Palestinian cause in prior pages, but at the end of the day, some things aren't that complicated. A 53 year military occupation with eroding rights as the years go on, eroding land, and unequal rights enforced along ethno-religious lines isn't complicated, it's apartheid with the stated intention of ethnically cleansing the land. To say that other Arab countries aren't taking care of the Palestinian refugees created by the ethnic cleansing being done by one country seems to burying the lede of concerns. To say that Palestinians should've taken a deal when they had the chance assumes that Israeli leaders weren't also operating in bad faith, and that no deal existed that would ever lead to Palestinian sovereign self-rule over Palestinian West Bank land.

Unit2Sucks
KPG said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I've not making the argument that opposition to Israel is entirely anti-semitism. I've said the opposite numerous times.

Jordan was willing to 'take care' of the Palestinian people. Jordan annexed the West Bank following the 1948 Arab-Israeli war. They held the 1948 Jericho Conference and hundreds of Palestinians in the West Bank accepted Jordanian rule - obviously not all, but enough that it recognized as regionally and internationally legitimate and Jordan was admitted to the UN without objection in 1955. Jordan transferred full Jordanian citizenship rights to 900,000 Palestinian people living in the West Bank, and representation in the Jordanian parliament. This expanded Jordan's population from 400,000 to 1,300,000 - a risky move considering their population was now majority non-Jordanian, but mostly Palestinian. Egypt continued to occupy Gaza prior to the War of 1967 where Palestinians did not enjoy full rights of Egyptian citizenship as they did in Jordan, and Egypt mostly used the Palestinians for political football. Egypt encouraged the creation of the PLO prior to the War on 1967 in part to de-legitimize Jordanian rule of Palestinians in the West Bank.

Regardless, ...
Was waiting for you to talk about Black September and how Jordan has treated Palestinians in the last 53 years but you seem to have skipped that.

There is no country in the ME outside of Israel where Palestinian refugees are currently treated the way that people demand Israel treat them. It's not because there is a different standard which people apply to Israel, it's because by and large people don't actually care about the plight of the Palestinian people world-wide, yet they have been activated to become aware of and deeply care about the relationship between Israel and Palestinian people.

There is no debate that Israel, more so under Netanyahu, has failed Palestinians on numerous fronts and that Israel does not have clean hands in this humanitarian disaster. Where there is debate is whether there is any possible path which could result in Jewish people in Israel peacefully co-existing in the Middle East, free from fear of Jihadists. I long ago lost any hope that this could be the case and history has provided no evidence that the desire of some leaders in the ME to destroy Israel and annihilate all Jewish people has ever eroded.

So from my perspective, there is no peaceful end game for Jewish people living in the ME. They aren't welcome in many majority Muslim countries in the ME (just like Palestinians!) and they can't peacefully have their own.
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

KPG said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Regardless, ...
Was waiting for you to talk about Black September and how Jordan has treated Palestinians in the last 53 years but you seem to have skipped that.

There is no country in the ME outside of Israel where Palestinian refugees are currently treated the way that people demand Israel treat them. It's not because there is a different standard which people apply to Israel, it's because by and large people don't actually care about the plight of the Palestinian people world-wide, yet they have been activated to become aware of and deeply care about the relationship between Israel and Palestinian people.

There is no debate that Israel, more so under Netanyahu, has failed Palestinians on numerous fronts and that Israel does not have clean hands in this humanitarian disaster. Where there is debate is whether there is any possible path which could result in Jewish people in Israel peacefully co-existing in the Middle East, free from fear of Jihadists. I long ago lost any hope that this could be the case and history has provided no evidence that the desire of some leaders in the ME to destroy Israel and annihilate all Jewish people has ever eroded.

So from my perspective, there is no peaceful end game for Jewish people living in the ME. They aren't welcome in many majority Muslim countries in the ME (just like Palestinians!) and they can't peacefully have their own.

The situation in general seems rather hopeless doesn't it? Though the Jewish people would be unlikely to go for it, if it were up to me, I would offer them one of the Dakotas (their choice). Might solve more than one problem. And Amazon could move a lot of the holy stuff from the ME to them in two days, free shipping.
KPG
Unit2Sucks said:

Not skipping purposefully my friend. The question was when have other Arab countries supported Palestinians, and I gave an answer. Black September happened after the Israeli occupation of the West Bank in 1967 and was encouraged by Egypt but certainly enthusiastically embarked upon by a segment of the Palestinian refugees, of which 300,000 had recently been immediately dispossessed of their home following the Israeli occupation of 1967.

I'm not trying to make a moral argument, I mean, I was in the past, but I'm just answering questions about when other Arab countries supported Palestinians, and why Israel remains central to the issue. If Israel really wanted the Palestinians to have a state, they'd have left well enough alone in 1967 and not occupied the West Bank. Israel has normalized relations with Egypt despite Egypt calling at one time for the destruction of Israel, to suggest that they'd never be able to similarly normalize relations with a Palestine because of Palestinian calls for the destruction of Israel is an assumption that has been proven wrong elsewhere.

But again, that doesn't really matter in any moral or legal sense, it's just a factual summary of what has transpired focused on Israeli actions.

Why are Israeli actions important? Because these are policies and actions that Israel has control over. And because as Hassan Nasrallah's speech showed today, the bigger players in this, as you rightfully point out, don't give a **** about Palestine or really Israel, but they are certainly focused on us, as in the USA, and our imperial interests manifested currently in the state of Israel.

Again, as I've stated before, for the first time since I've been paying attention to this conflict, I am legitimately concerned about the existential future of Israel. Belligerence in the form of ethnic cleansing, collective punishment, bad-faith negotiations, etc. can be lectured and moral postured about until the cows come home, but as history has proven time and again, might makes right. As long as Israel remains strong enough to defend itself with the lockstep support of the US and the threat of US deterrence, it can keep acting belligerently towards the native population as much as it sees fit without serious existential threat. That's the path they are firmly down now. They've doubled down that they're not a democracy, as of 2018 they're a Jewish nation-state with codified apartheid and unequal rights based on religion even for Arab Israeli citizens who have been Israeli citizens for decades. In a region where they are a colonial power who has seized land by force and rules in a religious apartheid state surrounded by non-Jewish, Arab, Muslims, you need to be strong as hell to continue that path. And once you're not strong as hell, you're now at the mercy of the good graces you've created through diplomacy. And the current operation in Gaza falls a little short of a charm offensive.

And while they're still strong, the gap between their strength and the strength of the enemies opposing them is closing. And while US deterrence is still something, it's clearly not the thing it once was.

As advanced as their military is, the IDF is constrained by resources, like all militaries. As a small population nation, the Israeli economy takes a huge hit when Israel mobilizes for war since a large part of the workforce is just absent and activated for duty - hence why their strikes are quick and their wars are usually short. The Israeli population has a very small appetite for civilian casualties, hence why they engage in air raids, artillery raids, and heavy reliance on heavily armored vehicles. The primary defense of Israel against asymmetric warfare against them is the Iron Dome. The Iron Dome interceptors cost about $70,000 per interceptor missile to shoot down missiles that Hamas can create for around $400. The economy of that just isn't sustainable. The Iron Dome is running so low that they're abandoning entire towns in the south and relocating the population to conserve resources. They continue to house tens of thousands in the north in hotels while their northern security wall is systematically neutralized by Hezbollah.

US deterrence is not what it once was. We have rolled out two aircraft carriers and practically begged Hezbollah to stop and hinted at Iran to stop. We've threatened that we'll bomb Lebanon if Hezbollah enters the fray. Hezbollah continues to prod at Israel and distract its resources and armies and our aircraft carriers as of yet have not followed through on any threat or provided any deterrence. We tell Iran not to escalate and Yemen continues to launch rockets at Israel. The Islamic Resistance in Iraq announced increased attacks on the US in the region. We've had over 40 attacks at our bases and outposts throughout Iraq and Syria, Algeria today in their parliament unanimously voted for military support of Palestine, and can complicate Mediterranean Sea logistics similar to Yemen disrupting Red Sea logistics.

The walls are closing in, the might of ours and Israel's supremacy is being called into question. The US continues to exert pressure on Israel for a cease-fire and for allowing humanitarian aid and Israel rebukes our attempts. Biden is tanking his presidency and potentially tanking the future of the Democratic party for the next generation of voters. We will either have a large regional escalation, a world war, or, I guess in Israel's best case scenario, the continued slow motion massacre of potentially hundreds of thousands in Gaza. Given the current leadership of Israel and the rudderless ship of American diplomacy, the best case ending of this from Israel's perspective is eliminating Gaza and the population from the map one way or another.

And where does that leave the US? Did you listen to Hassan Nasrallah's speech today? It wasn't even really directed at Israel, it was directed at us. It was saying attacks will continue on us. It was basically a message that whoever the hell is actually in charge of the current US imperial interests needs to rein in Israel or pay a price for it.

"America is entirely responsible for the ongoing war in Gaza and "Israel" is merely an execution tool"

So when I post on here worried about Israel's actions, it's because I don't want to see millions of Jews put into existential threat and thousands die, I don't want to see millions of Palestinians live in apartheid and tens of thousands of them die, and I don't want to see the US dragged into a regional war that we can't win and risk further injury to American soldiers, I don't want to see my religion co-opted and become synonymous with the inherent racism behind Zionism. I don't think we in the US will be willing or able to pay the price of what is necessary to keep Israel safe as it currently exists given the changing regional dynamics. I don't see any path forward that doesn't involve significant loss of life one way or another and that is profoundly sad.

Unit2Sucks
Big C said:

Unit2Sucks said:

KPG said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Regardless, ...

The situation in general seems rather hopeless doesn't it? Though the Jewish people would be unlikely to go for it, if it were up to me, I would offer them one of the Dakotas (their choice). Might solve more than one problem. And Amazon could move a lot of the holy stuff from the ME to them in two days, free shipping.
I've always been a fan of giving them the Isle of Man. I say that in jest only because it's too small to support them.

For what it's worth, Israel wasn't the only proposal the zionists considered and I can't imagine they could have picked a worse place to settle. Not only was it pretty terrible land surrounded by people who wanted to annihilate them, but it brought out the religious crazies (and still does).

I think it's nice that we have dreamers out there who believe peace between Israel and its neighbors is sustainable, but I haven't seen anything that would ever indicate that. At best, it would be an arms race (like it has been).

The Abraham Accords were a complete joke and did nothing to reduce tensions, arguably just making things worse by cementing opposition against Israel. But I guess some people prefer to announce and take credit for fake accomplishments and some people fall for it.
Unit2Sucks
KPG said:

So when I post on here worried about Israel's actions, it's because I don't want to see millions of Jews put into existential threat and thousands die, I don't want to see millions of Palestinians live in apartheid and tens of thousands of them die, and I don't want to see the US dragged into a regional war that we can't win and risk further injury to American soldiers, I don't want to see my religion co-opted and become synonymous with the inherent racism behind Zionism. I don't think we in the US will be willing or able to pay the price of what is necessary to keep Israel safe as it currently exists given the changing regional dynamics. I don't see any path forward that doesn't involve significant loss of life one way or another and that is profoundly sad.

I agree with everything you say here. It's a sad situation and there are only bad choices. Netanyahu has often found a way to make the wrong choice in situations like this but it's not clear to me at this point what the least wrong choice would be. I think many are underestimating just how bad the 10/7 attacks were and why so many people in Israel have reacted so strongly. Obviously the same is true regarding some of the reprisals.

But it's also too late to avoid the existential threat with thousands of deaths - Israel has been facing an existential threat from day one. There is nothing Jewish people can do to eliminate anti-semitism, any more than American people of color can turn off racism here. Jewish history is filled with pogroms, persecution and genocide. Every Jewish family has their stories. I'm sure your grandparents have given you plenty.

Ultimately, I don't see anyone offering any humane solution. No one else is offering to send troops to root out Hamas in Gaza. You certainly aren't seeing that from neigboring Muslim countries or the UN and believe it or not the US seems to be the only country in the world actually doing anything to help Palestinian people. Biden has done quite a bit to hold back Netanyahu from going further, faster and right now may be the closest thing to a friend Palestinian people have.
MinotStateBeav
OMG YIKES. A house of representative member..
wifeisafurd
There is a lot people looking backwards, placing blames or making judgments. Israel is not popular in the region, but as long is it has a strong military, for better or worse, even with an ultra conservative and aggressive government, it is not going anywhere,

If you put yourself in the position of Biden or any POTUS after the Hamas attack, is that the only path with a strong historical ally like Israel seems to be to get rid of Hamas and replace them with a sustainable government to represent Palestinians. The Hamas attack was so brutal and successful, you were not going to stop Israel from fighting back, and more cycles of violence which would only detract from the Biden administration's efforts in the region, especially to bring Israel and Saudi Arabia together. This is a foreign affairs driven approach with specific objectives, as opposed to asking what is politically popular, to the Administration's credit. It also is not like the very left represented by RT is going anywhere else either in the next couple election cycles.

What has been the US goals in all this has not been hidden. You merely need to listen to what the Secretary of State has been saying since the Hamas attack. The Biden Administration may yet succeed depending on what happens in the region when Israel is finished pulverizing Gaza. I just hope that the Netanyahu government realizes the debt is must pay to remove Hamas, and he makes the necessary concessions to have a viable neighbor that becomes a dependable ally in much the same way as Egypt.
dimitrig

I think there is a path to peace and it has to start with Israel deescalating the conflict.

If Israel stops bombing civilians and provides aid to the affected it would go a long way toward restoring Israel's reputation. Maybe Israel can call for UN peacekeepers in Gaza. If Israel stands down and Hamas continues to lob rockets at them then they can take control of the narrative again to be viewed as victims of unprovoked aggression. Right now they are losing support from the international community.

Israel has to take the moral high ground. Otherwise, they are proving to be everything Hamas has made them out to be. They were sucked into this conflict and they can extricate themselves just as easily. The US needs to organize international pressure against them to stop this madness.

10% For The Big Guy
dimitrig said:

I think there is a path to peace and it has to start with Israel deescalating the conflict.

If Israel stops bombing civilians and provides aid to the affected it would go a long way toward restoring Israel's reputation. Maybe Israel can call for UN peacekeepers in Gaza. If Israel stands down and Hamas continues to lob rockets at them then they can take control of the narrative again to be viewed as victims of unprovoked aggression. Right now they are losing support from the international community.

Israel has to take the moral high ground. Otherwise, they are proving to be everything Hamas has made them out to be. They were sucked into this conflict and they can extricate themselves just as easily. The US needs to organize international pressure against them to stop this madness.
Peace as defined by the West means Israel gets to continue as an apartheid state.

Real peace means Palestinians and Israelis both living free.
tequila4kapp
dimitrig said:

There is no scenario where Israel plays nice and gets security as it's reward. Iran, Hezbollah and Hamas explicitly want to kill all the Jews and remove Israel from the face of the earth. Israel is dealing with these people, not Mr Rogers.

No government can stand down and allow its citizens to be attacked. That is a little cray cray.
movielover
The UN and others pushed Israel to give Palestinians Gaza. They did. They gave them Gaza, and walked away.

Instead of building up Gaza, Palestinians looted international donations (over $1 Billion to Arafat alone in 1990 money), went to war with Israel, and continued intermarriage (cousins).
Chapman_is_Gone

The Gilad Shalit prisoner exchange established that the exchange rate between Israeli lives and Palestinian lives is 1:1,000. Fair is fair. So, I'd say there are a few thousand more Gazans yet to die before we hit equilibrium.
wifeisafurd
dimitrig said:

Israel is not stopping until Hamas is decimated and there is regime change. If you listen to Blinken, that is also what the US is advocating. The US is calling for temporary humanitarian stops to bring to Gaza basics like food and water, but there will be war until Hamas is gone and the US tries to install the PLO for governance. The approach in Blinken's mind is that of a separate country run by a bolstered PLO is what brings peace (kinda the "real peace" another poster was talking about).

Whether Israel, which controls things on the ground, buys off on this remains to be seen, but none of this has anything to do with moral high grounds. Moral high ground in places like the Middle East are just words people in in the west use. You don't have to take my word for it, you can go back and read the article posted by Bearrister above, quoting Blinken.
dimitrig
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

There is no scenario where Israel plays nice and gets security as it's reward. Iran, Hezbollah and Hamas explicitly want to kill all the Jews and remove Israel from the face of the earth. Israel is dealing with these people, not Mr Rogers.

No government can stand down and allow its citizens to be attacked. That is a little cray cray.

I think your premise is incorrect and there are definitely millions of people that want to live peacefully.

Are there crazy extremists? Of course there are.

You don't punish millions of people for the actions of some extremists.

This isn't a zero sum game where either the Jews survive or the Palestinians survive.

There are Jews living peacefully in Iran.

People don't hate Jews. They hate Israel and Israel isn't helping their cause on that front.

dimitrig
wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Israel is not stopping until Hamas is decimated and there is regime change. If you listen to Blinken, that is also what the US is advocating. The US is calling for temporary humanitarian stops to bring to Gaza basics like food and water, but there will be war until Hamas is gone and the US tries to install the PLO for governance. The approach in Blinken's mind is that of a separate country run by a bolstered PLO is what brings peace (kinda the "real peace" another poster was talking about).

Whether Israel, which controls things on the ground, buys off on this remains to be seen, but none of this has anything to do with moral high grounds. Moral high ground in places like the Middle East are just words people in in the west use. You don't have to take my word for it, you can go back and read the article posted by Bearrister above, quoting Blinken.

Israel can do whatever stupid things it wants to do and the US can be complicit.

I am not arguing that.

I am just saying that it's not the best course of action if the goal is peace in the Middle East.

At what point will the Zionists wake up and realize they are hated and outnumbered?

They can't fix the demographics, but they can help people stop hating them.

There is a better path to take if they choose to take it.

Cal88
wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Pragmatically speaking, and humanitarian reasons aside (that's a big caveat there), Israel cannot "decimate" Hamas without completely obliterating its public image, which has been one of its main weapons and one of the main reasons it has managed to maintain its existence as a colonial state. It will undoubtedly hold on to a segment of conservative American Boomers and Evangelical Christian zionists who literally worship that state, but it will lose support across the rest of western public opinion.

As well, "decimating" Hamas will not work, as the collateral damage is somewhere over 95%. It's going to create tens of thousands more orphans and young men with nothing to lose whose relatives have been pulverized.

Israel -and the US- have to recognize that we are in a new global geopolitical context, where aircraft carriers are nearly obsolete and stand-off weapons like drones and missiles rule the battlefield. This means that Israel will no longer be able to maintain military hegemony over its neighbors. Its only viable -and moral- choice is to retrace the steps of slain prime minister YItzak Rabin and sue for a real peace with the region in the form of the 2-state solution, which is acceptable to a large majority of Palestinians and to every state in the region, including Iran.
Unit2Sucks
dimitrig said:

At what point will the Zionists wake up and realize they are hated and outnumbered?

They can't fix the demographics, but they can help people stop hating them.

There is a better path to take if they choose to take it.

Sorry but this is divorced from reality. Most people who are anti-Zionist are just anti-semitic. It's a dog whistle. Not everyone is that way and perhaps you really only specifically have a problem with Zionism, but by and large people do not differentiate and just use Zionism because it would be beyond the pale to outright state they hate Jewish people.

Which brings me to my next point - Zionism is the result of Jewish people verry much recognizing they are hated and outnumbered.

Saying that Jewish people can stop people from hating them is denying the nature of hate. It's like blaming people of color for racism in the US.

If anything, Jewish people accept that there will always be anti-semitism and that they need Israel to exist as the one place in this farked up planet where Jewish people can be safe from anti-semitism. And had they chosen a place outside of the ME, perhaps it could have worked.

But anyone paying attention to what has happened over the last 70 years should see that nothing has changed with respect to anti-semirism. No matter how few Jewish people there are, they will always be under attack and there will always be anti-semites who want to annihilate them.

A two-state solution will never be acceptable to the powers that be in the Middle East unless both of those states are free of Jewish people.

Right now the best thing the world can do for the Palestinian people is to rid them of Hamas. The people protesting against Jewish people should be protesting Hamas and demanding action against them as they are the real enemy.

Here's a good anecdotal thread about how Gazans really think about Hamas.

wifeisafurd
Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Pragmatically speaking, and humanitarian reasons aside (that's a big caveat there), Israel cannot "decimate" Hamas without completely obliterating its public image, which has been one of its main weapons and one of the main reasons it has managed to maintain its existence as a colonial state. It will undoubtedly hold on to a segment of conservative American Boomers and Evangelical Christian zionists who literally worship that state, but it will lose support across the rest of western public opinion.

As well, "decimating" Hamas will not work, as the collateral damage is somewhere over 95%. It's going to create tens of thousands more orphans and young men with nothing to lose whose relatives have been pulverized.

Israel -and the US- have to recognize that we are in a new global geopolitical context, where aircraft carriers are nearly obsolete and stand-off weapons like drones and missiles rule the battlefield. This means that Israel will no longer be able to maintain military hegemony over its neighbors. Its only viable -and moral- choice is to retrace the steps of slain prime minister YItzak Rabin and sue for a real peace with the region in the form of the 2-state solution, which is acceptable to a large majority of Palestinians and to every state in the region, including Iran.
I respectfully disagree with you military assessment. It seems pretty obvious that the Israeli army is dominating the battle field, despite drones or thousand of missile shot off by Hamas, and that no one is coming from the North as long those US battleships and planes on battleships are in range.

The US and its allies have made a calculation, for better to worse, that Hamas must be taken out for peace with a two state solution to work, and further that Iran must be contained. Like I said before, it could work. What could go wrong? Israel could screw it up, the PLO has a history of corruption, things regionally could change quickly, etc. Welcome to the realities of the Middle East. Your enemy today is your ally tomorrow.

Looking at some things US allies do with impunity in the Middle East, such as Saudi or Egypt not to mention Iran and others, public relations and moral high grounds are built on quick sand in that part of the world. Sorta like Africa as well. We try to demand everyone play by western values, and I'm not seeing a lot of success at that. Somalia should have been a lesson. China's diplomatic take over of Africa should be a lesson.China and Africa: Human Rights Perspective - JSTORJSTORhttps://www.jstor.org stable. Israel is part of US and Saudi strategy of containing Iran. That isn't going to change, because short term public opinion is not happy with Israel. There are much bigger things at play than what some liberals protesting in the US or Europe think.

In an area where military action is a constant, I'm not sure Israel doesn't want a reputation as hard arse, who will destroy you if you attack them. When survival is at stake, Israel seems happy to take some PR hits. When people who live in the West start talking about their values or their public opinion, the rest of the world tends to view this high minded approach as hypocritical.

I don't think the Biden administration is very concerned about what the left is saying on Gaza or much else. Those voters really have no alternatives. They are making judgements on an international relations construct, not on idealism. Ideals are preferred and I suppose we try to teach them to younger generations, though ideals may vary in most of the country. They are a sort of mental model, a target, whereby people, especially those in the west, can communally understand how the world should work. Unfortunately, they block understandings of how the world does work, and that is where are policy makers live.

I keep seeing posts that a wave of young populism will take over this time. After watching the generation older than me protest around campuses, tell everyone they will change the world, and money doesn't matter, and then completely change their values so they can run around retirement villages in golf carts chanting white power, I have to think this is the arrogance of youth and idealism that certainly existed when I left college in me. I want the world not to have wars, but now I'm cynical being older that progress can happen or be saved without them. The thing is as we grow older and more experienced, are ideals change, and we incorporate thoughts based on the way we find the world actually is. This is a long way of saying is most of today's younger generations will think differently over time and become the boomers of tomorrow.

socaltownie
tequila4kapp said:

From Wiki - list of Israeli wars and other military conflicts. In their @75 years of existence they've had maybe 15 years of "peace":

Well one might conclude that the concept it flawed. I think that zionism is compelling....but it is also not workable without the above.

I am not sure it is a useful analogy but lets say that alabama decided that it want'ed to be a state where White entho-christians could have their "own homeland" and that they welcomed anyone else to their enclave who fealt threatened by "the war on xmas". I am not sure the 40% of the population that is AA would be happy.
socaltownie
wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

I respectfully disagree with you military assessment. It seems pretty obvious that the Israeli army is dominating the battle field, despite drones or thousand of missile shot off by Hamas, and that no one is coming from the North as long those US battleships and planes on battleships are in range.

The US and its allies have made a calculation, for better to worse, that Hamas must be taken out for peace with a two state solution to work, and further that Iran must be contained. Like I said before, it could work. What could go wrong? Israel could screw it up, the PLO has a history of corruption, things regionally could change quickly, etc. Welcome to the realities of the Middle East. Your enemy today is your ally tomorrow.

Looking at some things US allies do with impunity in the Middle East, such as Saudi or Egypt not to mention Iran and others, public relations and moral high grounds are built on quick sand in that part of the world. Sorta like Africa as well. We try to demand everyone play by western values, and I'm not seeing a lot of success at that. Somalia should have been a lesson. China's diplomatic take over of Africa should be a lesson.China and Africa: Human Rights Perspective - JSTORJSTORhttps://www.jstor.org stable. Israel is part of US and Saudi strategy of containing Iran. That isn't going to change, because short term public opinion is not happy with Israel. There are much bigger things at play than what some liberals protesting in the US or Europe think.

In an area where military action is a constant, I'm not sure Israel doesn't want a reputation as hard arse, who will destroy you if you attack them. When survival is at stake, Israel seems happy to take some PR hits. When people who live in the West start talking about their values or their public opinion, the rest of the world tends to view this high minded approach as hypocritical.

I don't think the Biden administration is very concerned about what the left is saying on Gaza or much else. Those voters really have no alternatives. They are making judgements on an international relations construct, not on idealism. Ideals are preferred and I suppose we try to teach them to younger generations, though ideals may vary in most of the country. They are a sort of mental model, a target, whereby people, especially those in the west, can communally understand how the world should work. Unfortunately, they block understandings of how the world does work, and that is where are policy makers live.

I keep seeing posts that a wave of young populism will take over this time. After watching the generation older than me protest around campuses, tell everyone they will change the world, and money doesn't matter, and then completely change their values so they can run around retirement villages in golf carts chanting white power, I have to think this is the arrogance of youth and idealism that certainly existed when I left college in me. I want the world not to have wars, but now I'm cynical being older that progress can happen or be saved without them. The thing is as we grow older and more experienced, are ideals change, and we incorporate thoughts based on the way we find the world actually is. This is a long way of saying is most of today's younger generations will think differently over time and become the boomers of tomorrow.

the problem is that it is nearly impossible to win coiunterinsurgency wars if we define winning as 100% security for Isreali jewish citizens (which is how Isreali has defined it). So they dominate the battlefield. Unless they have idenfitied every hamas footsolider give it a few years and they will emerge again.

This is the :"logic" of Ulster. The RUC (and occasionally the British) thought they could eliminate every republican and member of the Provisional IRA. They clearly could throw a bunch in jail. But they never created absolute security in Ulster. It took (finally) a realization that both catholic and protestants were first and foremost "citizens" of the 6 counties and their willingness to forge a multi-sectarian "thing" (not a state, but something akin to it).
sycasey
socaltownie said:

tequila4kapp said:

From Wiki - list of Israeli wars and other military conflicts. In their @75 years of existence they've had maybe 15 years of "peace":

Well one might conclude that the concept it flawed. I think that zionism is compelling....but it is also not workable without the above.

I am not sure it is a useful analogy but lets say that alabama decided that it want'ed to be a state where White entho-christians could have their "own homeland" and that they welcomed anyone else to their enclave who fealt threatened by "the war on xmas". I am not sure the 40% of the population that is AA would be happy.
Though not quite the same as white Christians have never been a persecuted minority in Alabama or anywhere near there and Jews have.

But yes . . . IMO at some point all defined ethnostates will run into a similar problem, one they can only "solve" by force.
Unit2Sucks
Israel doesn't need to eliminate all Hamas soldiers for security. They do need to collapse the tunnels, identity and secure the weapons stashes, dismantle and prevent arms movement, etc.

Of course, these things entail civilian losses if Hamas will not let people evacuate south. For example, the tragedy in the camp in Gaza recently was said to have been from a missile strike on a commander but I've also heard it came from a tunnel system that collapsed. Gaza is full of these tunnels which are used to protect Hamas but not civilians.

Without all of these capabilities, Israel will be much safer from terrorism originating in Gaza. Of course the new normal will require even more vigilance.
socaltownie
sycasey said:

socaltownie said:

tequila4kapp said:

Though not quite the same as white Christians have never been a persecuted minority in Alabama or anywhere near there and Jews have.

But yes . . . IMO at some point all defined ethnostates will run into a similar problem, one they can only "solve" by force.
Like I said, I find the logic of zionism compelling because jews have been a persecuted ethnic and religious minority for 2000+ years. The idea of :"one safe place" is compelling.

But it isn't safe because of the realities on the ground. They forged a state from a place wtih a multitude of people.

Lets use a different narrative. Mormanism was a VERY persecuted religious minority. Killings and near pograms. But when Bringham Young brought the followers to the Great Salt Lake was it right that they essentially exterminated the local native american trives and took several hundred as SLAVES. That was wrong - and couldn't be justified by what happened to mormans in new York, Ohio or Iowa.
bearister
The Mountain Meadows Massacre | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/mormons-massacre/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

the problem is that it is nearly impossible to win coiunterinsurgency wars if we define winning as 100% security for Isreali jewish citizens (which is how Isreali has defined it). So they dominate the battlefield. Unless they have idenfitied every hamas footsolider give it a few years and they will emerge again.

This is the :"logic" of Ulster. The RUC (and occasionally the British) thought they could eliminate every republican and member of the Provisional IRA. They clearly could throw a bunch in jail. But they never created absolute security in Ulster. It took (finally) a realization that both catholic and protestants were first and foremost "citizens" of the 6 counties and their willingness to forge a multi-sectarian "thing" (not a state, but something akin to it).

Pretty good analogy. One of the key ingredients missing here in a potential Irish-like settlement in Israel/Palestine is the lack of diplomats like Sen. George Mitchell in the current US government and Congress. Mitchell had a key role in settling the Irish dispute. The US government has to restrain and stabilize the situation now, however the domestic political climate is not conducive to this.
wifeisafurd
socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Sure, a lot of that makes sense. Israel is breaking Hamas, but it there game plan is to occupy Gaza permanently or wipe out every Hamas fighter they are being unrealistic. It seems more likely Bliken's plan for robust PLO rule in Gaza makes more sense. Israel is going to have to make concessions after this mess is over, and it won't alway be pretty for them dealing with the PLO in Gaza, but if they want peace and US support they need to get on board. I assume Blikin is literally telling Israel that right now. I think Ireland is a good example that it can be done, as is Egypt and Israel. But the PLO will have to keep the remnants of Hamas in check, which I think they desire to do after what Hamas did to them. There is no way Israel can think they can rule over several million people.
socaltownie
wifeisafurd said:

socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Sure, a lot of that makes sense. Israel is breaking Hamas, but it there game plan is to occupy Gaza permanently or wipe out every Hamas fighter they are being unrealistic. It seems more likely Bliken's plan for robust PLO rule in Gaza makes more sense. Israel is going to have to make concessions after this mess is over, and it won't alway be pretty for them dealing with the PLO in Gaza, but if they want peace and US support they need to get on board. I assume Blikin is literally telling Israel that right now. I think Ireland is a good example that it can be done, as is Egypt and Israel. But the PLO will have to keep the remnants of Hamas in check, which I think they desire to do after what Hamas did to them. There is no way Israel can think they can rule over several million people.
But I really think that for Northern Ireland to work the Republicans needed to stop seeing themselves as seperated from Ireland by the nasty roundheads and the Protestants needed to stop thinking about themselves as the last bastion of Empire and the traditional English ways. A key was a northern Ireland Identity.

Until some creative and couragous Isreali politician figure out how to square the demographics and then the traditional importance of Isreal being a "jewish" state I don't see that.

One way would be to enshire a constittuion, with difficult amendment processes, providing for the three religions of the levant special status and special immigration status. Big asks. But I really do believe the only way forward is for both "sides:" to see themselves as mutually legiimate "citizens" of that geographic space.
sycasey
socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

But I really think that for Northern Ireland to work the Republicans needed to stop seeing themselves as seperated from Ireland by the nasty roundheads and the Protestants needed to stop thinking about themselves as the last bastion of Empire and the traditional English ways. A key was a northern Ireland Identity.

Until some creative and couragous Isreali politician figure out how to square the demographics and then the traditional importance of Isreal being a "jewish" state I don't see that.

One way would be to enshire a constittuion, with difficult amendment processes, providing for the three religions of the levant special status and special immigration status. Big asks. But I really do believe the only way forward is for both "sides:" to see themselves as mutually legiimate "citizens" of that geographic space.

Any actual long-term solution seems impossible as long as Netanyahu or anyone like him remains in charge. He is on record as opposing any kind of multiple-state solution and has actively worked against one.

And yes, the same goes for Hamas, but they don't really have the power to change Israeli leadership by force.
socaltownie
sycasey said:

socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Any actual long-term solution seems impossible as long as Netanyahu or anyone like him remains in charge. He is on record as opposing any kind of multiple-state solution and has actively worked against one.

And yes, the same goes for Hamas, but they don't really have the power to change Israeli leadership by force.
yup. For the Isreali's sadly the status quo generally works. They suffer simmering levels of violence that feed into an increasingly authoritarian and miltitarized state (I didn't understand the level to which connections in the mandetory IDF service then translate later on into business and political connections that are lasting and deep; one of the important factors in prohibiting arab isrealis from serving).

And given their integration into the world economy and US foregin aid to a relatively wealthy state there are few incentives to change.
sycasey
socaltownie said:

(I didn't understand the level to which connections in the mandetory IDF service then translate later on into business and political connections that are lasting and deep; one of the important factors in prohibiting arab isrealis from serving).
I don't think they're prohibited, just not mandated like the Jews are.
10% For The Big Guy
When even the Atlantic (chief Obama/Hillary/Biden apologists) are no longer backing the Israel narrative, you know that things are going bad for the Zionists.

wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

dimitrig said:

Not sure where you are getting your information on internal Isreal politics. Netanyahu actually is on the record for supporting a two state solution, it is just what those two states look like changes a lot. .Netanyahu outlines vision for two-state solution - CNNCNN.comhttps://www.cnn.com 2023/02/01 middleeast netan...

The problem Netanyahu faces is whether his right wing coalition stays in place with a 2 state solution because the ultra right doesn't support a two state solution. With migration and population changes, the right is Israel is gaining in number. Blinken to get Israel to support his two state approach with the PLO governing has to get support from a different coalition, which will need to include Netanyahu's party in order to be a majority.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.