The Non-Yogi Israel-Palestine war thread

189,223 Views | 2533 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by tequila4kapp
CaliforniaEternal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Israel is a very (some would say overly) vibrant democracy with a purpose as a home for a specific people. In that regard, it's like any other ethnic democracy like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan etc except Israel is much more racially diverse with people from every corner on earth. The immigration criteria are much looser in Israel than in any of those other countries at least in the pool of people that are eligible to immigrate.

There is a big issue with marriage because Israel does not offer civil marriages which forces people who don't meet the criteria imposed by extremely religious authorities to go abroad to get married. I think during covid people started doing online civil It's a real problem that secular society hasn't been able to change because of the need for religious parties to be included to form a government by either left or right wing parties. If the secular left and right could actually unite themselves it would solve a lot of issues, including the haredim men not serving in the army or working while sitting around praying and collecting welfare.
BearGoggles
sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

dimitrig said:

BearGoggles said:

socaltownie said:

Zippergate said:

Don't cite statistics if you're not prepared to defend them. I stated that the area was inhabited by a small number of bedouins and that Arabs moved in after Jewish improvements to the land. That's completely supported by a more than doubling of the population in less than forty years. And a population of 300k 140 years ago doesn't explain the millions of people who claim to be dispossessed Palestinians. Btw, were these Palestinians the same group that built the Dome of the Rock on top of the 3,000 year-old Jewish temple?

Sure and before that there were apparently tribes that another Bronze age tribe that became what we think of as Jews conquered.

Who CARES??!!! It doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter that my ancestors were kicked out of England, went to scotland and subsequently kicked out a bunch of Gallic people who they then went over the Irish sea and kicked out of Ulster before Cromwell sent over Protestants and kicked THEM out.

Deal with the reality. Probably around 15 million people. HIGHLY diverse religious beliefs and practices. At least 2 major languages with several dialetics. Income inequality that correlates highly with relgious practices. The only way to solve that is create a secular state with strong individual rights.....or ethnically purge folks.

(BTW - if I was a reform member I would ultimately be worried about the long term trends cause there are a lot of conservative communtiies that don't consider reform "real jews". Once you start down that pathway it never ends good.)
I agree with your "who cares" approach. The problem is that many Palestinians and the people supporting them latch on to the "we were here first" argument, as evidenced by some posting in this thread. You're largely arguing with the wrong side on this one.

I question the bolded statement. That might be the "best" way to solve the problem from your perspective - it is a highly subjective conclusion. But it is not the only way. Pakistan says hello as do all of the former republics of the Soviet Union.

The harder question is what measures does a country need/choose to take to maintain its religious or other ethnic qualities. Obviously, immigration policy seems pretty important though birthrates might eventually dictate changes.

"The harder question is what measures does a country need/choose to take to maintain its religious or other ethnic qualities. Obviously, immigration policy seems pretty important though birthrates might eventually dictate changes."

A country should not maintain its religious or other ethnic qualities. Countries don't have a religion or ethnicity. People do. A country that chooses to use religion or ethnicity as part of its identity will ultimately end up persecuting some of its population. Even homogenous countries like Japan have been guilty of this.

Jews and Arabs need to learn to share the land that we today call Israel. It is in both of their best interests to do so. Hamas should not have attacked Israel, but Israel's response is not compassionate at all and it plays into the narrative that Israel is the enemy. There are 1 million children in Gaza today that don't understand politics and didn't elect their leaders, but will grow up hating Jews. That's counterproductive.

You seem to be posting as to what you want as opposed to what is. Factually, quite a few countries do have official religions or give a particular religion special status,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion

https://www.worlddata.info/religions/state-religions.php

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/what-countries-have-a-national-religion

I think those lists show lots of countries where there is an official religion but tolerance for minorities.

In terms of your final paragraph, I agree with some of what you said. The reality is that Israel's response will contribute to the cycle of violence. Israel has tried "small wars" with Hamas and look what happened. No country can, would or should tolerate terrorists attacking it from adjacent countries. The first obligation of every government is to protect its citizens.

Your imposing expectations on Israel that are not the norm. Look at what the US did after 9/11 and with ISIS. ISIS attacks on US citizens were relatively minor as compared to what happened in Israel this week. Yet the US took action, as it should have. We didn't worry about ISIS children hating us. There could be long term consequences from that, but it doesn't matter.

At this point, the suffering in Gaza is unavoidable. The best thing that can happen is that Hamas is removed quickly and permanently. Israel priority at this time is not to be compassionate - it needs to be effective. Compassion, assistance, and hopefully reconciliation will come later, but only if Hamas is removed and replaced with a government that accepts Israel and actually serves the interest/needs of the Palestinian people.
I'm gonna say there's a difference between having a "state religion" and having the hallmarks of an ethnostate. The UK has the Church of England, but if you're not in that church it doesn't really affect anything you can do. That is not the case in Israel. If you're not Jewish there are limitations.

21 to 26% of Israeli citizens are not Jewish. What are the limitations on these citizens? Please be specific as to how they have less legal rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Israel#:~:text=As%20of%20March%202023%2C%20Israel's,%25%20(around%202.048%20million).

Before answering, you might want to read this:

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/what-know-about-arab-citizens-israel

Like the US (where notably there is no state religion), there are systemic differences - poverty, discrimination, etc. But legally, non-Jewish citizens have the same rights and those have been protected by Israeli courts - including the Supreme Court.

Arabs vote and serve in the Parliament/Knesset and other elected offices. Arabs serve on the supreme court including a Muslim Arab. How many Jews or Christians enjoy these rights and have this type of representation in Islamic countries? How many Muslims have served on the US Supreme Court?

You may want to ask yourself why you (and many others) have these types of preconceived notions of Israel and seemingly different expectations of Israel. I don't mean that to suggest you're a bad person or have bad intentions. But the narrative surrounding - and expectations of - Israel are different and that is problematic.
There's the Right to Return, for one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Return

If you're Jewish you can invite anyone from your family to come over, no problem. If you're not? Well . . .

And yes, I realize this was part of the foundation of the country. That's part of the issue; when you're founded based on religion, blood, and ethnicity, it's bound to start feeling discriminatory to the minority groups in your country.

Marriage laws:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_Israel
Quote:

In Israel, marriage can be performed only under the auspices of the religious community to which couples belong, and inter-faith marriages performed within the country are not legally recognized.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_Israel#cite_note-lerner2011p214-1][1][/url] However, marriages performed abroad or remotely from Israel must be registered by the government.
Anti-miscegenation, anyone? We used to have these laws in the US and I think we all now agree they were bad. And yeah, I realize there are ways around this, but again . . . if you're of a different ethnic group you have to do extra.

Are the other Muslim states in the region any better? No, they're not! But that's not my claim. My claim is that Israel is an ethnostate or at least kind of trying to be one, and that is problematic for them as a liberal democracy.

The right to return is immigration/refugee policy, as I originally mentioned. It is no different than the US policy giving preference to some (family reunification or so called "refugees") over others (for example, eastern European immigrants w/o pre-existing family members). And, as you point out, it reflects the fact that Jews are persecuted world wide and Israel is the only safe haven - they are defacto refugees.

In terms of marriage laws, you're really confused. There is no "Anti-miscegenation" going on. Lots of Arabs marry Jews and people of all races have their marriages fully recognized.

The nuance is that marriage in Israel is controlled by each religion - it is a religious concept. Jewish, Christian and Islamic organizations all have their own distinct requirements and rules for who can be married IN ISRAEL and I believe each religious organization (not just the Jewish one) imposes strict restrictions against inter marriage and/or gay marriage. To my knowledge, there is nothing preventing any of these religious organizations from recognizing inter-marriage or gay marriage.

Separate from marriage "in" Israel, all foreign marriages are fully recognized and more recently, they have recognized online marriages. In addition to the religious marriages concept, they have civil unions with all of the marital rights (which is akin to what we used to have here in CA prior to gay marraige).

This is not perfect (and not what I would prefer), but hardly "Anti-miscegenation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Israel

socaltownie
CaliforniaEternal said:

Israel is a very (some would say overly) vibrant democracy with a purpose as a home for a specific people. In that regard, it's like any other ethnic democracy like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan etc except Israel is much more racially diverse with people from every corner on earth. The immigration criteria are much looser in Israel than in any of those other countries at least in the pool of people that are eligible to immigrate.

There is a big issue with marriage because Israel does not offer civil marriages which forces people who don't meet the criteria imposed by extremely religious authorities to go abroad to get married. I think during covid people started doing online civil It's a real problem that secular society hasn't been able to change because of the need for religious parties to be included to form a government by either left or right wing parties. If the secular left and right could actually unite themselves it would solve a lot of issues, including the haredim men not serving in the army or working while sitting around praying and collecting welfare.
Or that israel citizens that practice islam are not required to be in the IDF - which is a vital area where connections and networking is done and has a lasting influence on your life outcomes (in a positive way).

I think that there are 2 things that have become clear since Saturday

1) Civilized people have to stand with Israel at the present. Hamas's actions are beyond the pale - just as those who carried out the attacks of 9/11 were. This is not the time for hand wringing.

2) That Israel needs, more than anything, someone who has the vision to see themselves as first a citizen of Israel - a state between the Jordan River and the Sea and second as a Jew for such a visionary would hope to forge a nation for ALL people - in a land that is decidely mutli-ethnic and pluralistically religious.
socaltownie
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

dimitrig said:

BearGoggles said:

socaltownie said:

Zippergate said:

Don't cite statistics if you're not prepared to defend them. I stated that the area was inhabited by a small number of bedouins and that Arabs moved in after Jewish improvements to the land. That's completely supported by a more than doubling of the population in less than forty years. And a population of 300k 140 years ago doesn't explain the millions of people who claim to be dispossessed Palestinians. Btw, were these Palestinians the same group that built the Dome of the Rock on top of the 3,000 year-old Jewish temple?

Sure and before that there were apparently tribes that another Bronze age tribe that became what we think of as Jews conquered.

Who CARES??!!! It doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter that my ancestors were kicked out of England, went to scotland and subsequently kicked out a bunch of Gallic people who they then went over the Irish sea and kicked out of Ulster before Cromwell sent over Protestants and kicked THEM out.

Deal with the reality. Probably around 15 million people. HIGHLY diverse religious beliefs and practices. At least 2 major languages with several dialetics. Income inequality that correlates highly with relgious practices. The only way to solve that is create a secular state with strong individual rights.....or ethnically purge folks.

(BTW - if I was a reform member I would ultimately be worried about the long term trends cause there are a lot of conservative communtiies that don't consider reform "real jews". Once you start down that pathway it never ends good.)
I agree with your "who cares" approach. The problem is that many Palestinians and the people supporting them latch on to the "we were here first" argument, as evidenced by some posting in this thread. You're largely arguing with the wrong side on this one.

I question the bolded statement. That might be the "best" way to solve the problem from your perspective - it is a highly subjective conclusion. But it is not the only way. Pakistan says hello as do all of the former republics of the Soviet Union.

The harder question is what measures does a country need/choose to take to maintain its religious or other ethnic qualities. Obviously, immigration policy seems pretty important though birthrates might eventually dictate changes.

"The harder question is what measures does a country need/choose to take to maintain its religious or other ethnic qualities. Obviously, immigration policy seems pretty important though birthrates might eventually dictate changes."

A country should not maintain its religious or other ethnic qualities. Countries don't have a religion or ethnicity. People do. A country that chooses to use religion or ethnicity as part of its identity will ultimately end up persecuting some of its population. Even homogenous countries like Japan have been guilty of this.

Jews and Arabs need to learn to share the land that we today call Israel. It is in both of their best interests to do so. Hamas should not have attacked Israel, but Israel's response is not compassionate at all and it plays into the narrative that Israel is the enemy. There are 1 million children in Gaza today that don't understand politics and didn't elect their leaders, but will grow up hating Jews. That's counterproductive.

You seem to be posting as to what you want as opposed to what is. Factually, quite a few countries do have official religions or give a particular religion special status,

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/what-countries-have-a-national-religion

I think those lists show lots of countries where there is an official religion but tolerance for minorities.

In terms of your final paragraph, I agree with some of what you said. The reality is that Israel's response will contribute to the cycle of violence. Israel has tried "small wars" with Hamas and look what happened. No country can, would or should tolerate terrorists attacking it from adjacent countries. The first obligation of every government is to protect its citizens.

Your imposing expectations on Israel that are not the norm. Look at what the US did after 9/11 and with ISIS. ISIS attacks on US citizens were relatively minor as compared to what happened in Israel this week. Yet the US took action, as it should have. We didn't worry about ISIS children hating us. There could be long term consequences from that, but it doesn't matter.

At this point, the suffering in Gaza is unavoidable. The best thing that can happen is that Hamas is removed quickly and permanently. Israel priority at this time is not to be compassionate - it needs to be effective. Compassion, assistance, and hopefully reconciliation will come later, but only if Hamas is removed and replaced with a government that accepts Israel and actually serves the interest/needs of the Palestinian people.
I'm gonna say there's a difference between having a "state religion" and having the hallmarks of an ethnostate. The UK has the Church of England, but if you're not in that church it doesn't really affect anything you can do. That is not the case in Israel. If you're not Jewish there are limitations.

21 to 26% of Israeli citizens are not Jewish. What are the limitations on these citizens? Please be specific as to how they have less legal rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Israel#:~:text=As%20of%20March%202023%2C%20Israel's,%25%20(around%202.048%20million).

Like the US (where notably there is no state religion), there are systemic differences - poverty, discrimination, etc. But legally, non-Jewish citizens have the same rights and those have been protected by Israeli courts - including the Supreme Court.

Arabs vote and serve in the Parliament/Knesset and other elected offices. Arabs serve on the supreme court including a Muslim Arab. How many Jews or Christians enjoy these rights and have this type of representation in Islamic countries? How many Muslims have served on the US Supreme Court?

You may want to ask yourself why you (and many others) have these types of preconceived notions of Israel and seemingly different expectations of Israel. I don't mean that to suggest you're a bad person or have bad intentions. But the narrative surrounding - and expectations of - Israel are different and that is problematic.

If you're Jewish you can invite anyone from your family to come over, no problem. If you're not? Well . . .

And yes, I realize this was part of the foundation of the country. That's part of the issue; when you're founded based on religion, blood, and ethnicity, it's bound to start feeling discriminatory to the minority groups in your country.

Marriage laws:
Quote:

In Israel, marriage can be performed only under the auspices of the religious community to which couples belong, and inter-faith marriages performed within the country are not legally recognized.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_Israel#cite_note-lerner2011p214-1][1][/url] However, marriages performed abroad or remotely from Israel must be registered by the government.
Anti-miscegenation, anyone? We used to have these laws in the US and I think we all now agree they were bad. And yeah, I realize there are ways around this, but again . . . if you're of a different ethnic group you have to do extra.

Are the other Muslim states in the region any better? No, they're not! But that's not my claim. My claim is that Israel is an ethnostate or at least kind of trying to be one, and that is problematic for them as a liberal democracy.

The right to return is immigration/refugee policy, as I originally mentioned. It is no different than the US policy giving preference to some (family reunification or so called "refugees") over others (for example, eastern European immigrants w/o pre-existing family members). And, as you point out, it reflects the fact that Jews are persecuted world wide and Israel is the only safe haven - they are defacto refugees.

In terms of marriage laws, you're really confused. There is no "Anti-miscegenation" going on. Lots of Arabs marry Jews and people of all races have their marriages fully recognized.

The nuance is that marriage in Israel is controlled by each religion - it is a religious concept. Jewish, Christian and Islamic organizations all have their own distinct requirements and rules for who can be married IN ISRAEL and I believe each religious organization (not just the Jewish one) imposes strict restrictions against inter marriage and/or gay marriage. To my knowledge, there is nothing preventing any of these religious organizations from recognizing inter-marriage or gay marriage.

Separate from marriage "in" Israel, all foreign marriages are fully recognized and more recently, they have recognized online marriages. In addition to the religious marriages concept, they have civil unions with all of the marital rights (which is akin to what we used to have here in CA prior to gay marraige).

This is not perfect (and not what I would prefer), but hardly "Anti-miscegenation."

Again - I am not sure that this week is the time for such debates but you can't POSSIBLY believe that (or at least I hope not). It is NOT the same as US refugee law. At the core is that Israel (and you) believe that ipso facto all jews are persecuted. Meanwhile there is absolutely NO such preseumption in the United states for 95% of those claiming refugee status.

We might agree that as a religious minority outside of Israel. many jews face the challenges but are you really going to argue that those of jewish faith and ethnicity are not "safe" in the united states? I know a TON of African americans that would very much like a word. So too would many catholic families STILL in Ulster.
sycasey
BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

dimitrig said:

BearGoggles said:

socaltownie said:

Zippergate said:

Marriage laws:
Quote:

Dude, I'm not confused. I just have a different interpretation of the laws than you do. IMO the immigration laws ARE different in a major way, in that they explicitly call for favoring a particular ethnic group. Not a family, not a country (or set of countries) . . . an ethnic group.

Describe it however you want, but the marriage laws seem deliberately designed to keep Jews from marrying non-Jews. It's not banned completely, but if you have to go overseas to do it then I'm going to say it's strongly discouraged. It's at least in the ballpark of anti-miscegenation in my view.

Could it be worse? Sure. Have we had similar laws in the past in the US? Sure. But we live in the year 2023 and Israel wants to be considered a liberal democracy that is the equal of its Western allies and IMO its focus on maintaining an ethnic majority will always get in the way of that.
BearGoggles
socaltownie said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

sycasey said:

BearGoggles said:

dimitrig said:

BearGoggles said:

socaltownie said:

Zippergate said:

Marriage laws:
Quote:

Again - I am not sure that this week is the time for such debates but you can't POSSIBLY believe that (or at least I hope not). It is NOT the same as US refugee law. At the core is that Israel (and you) believe that ipso facto all jews are persecuted. Meanwhile there is absolutely NO such preseumption in the United states for 95% of those claiming refugee status.

We might agree that as a religious minority outside of Israel. many jews face the challenges but are you really going to argue that those of jewish faith and ethnicity are not "safe" in the united states? I know a TON of African americans that would very much like a word. So too would many catholic families STILL in Ulster.
I'm saying that both the US and Israel (really all countries) have refugee policies. I don't believe that all Jews are persecuted. I believe that some jews are and all of them should be allowed to immigrate to Israel since historically speaking, many countries won't accept them. And to that point, the US and other countries have periodically given presumptive refugee status to many people.

What is the refugee/immigration policy of Vatican City? Who can become a citizen there? Is there a religious requirement?

And for the record, after what I've seen in NY and some other cities in the past few days, I would understand if some Jews didn't feel safe in the US. If a Jew felt unsafe in the US and wanted to leave, what country would accept them and provide citizenship? Christians or Muslims have many countries they can emigrate to. That is the entire point - there is only one Jewish country.
sycasey
Something like 700 people live in the Vatican and no one calls it a democracy. There's no way this is a relevant comparison for Israel.
CaliforniaEternal
Your second point while laudable won't work. The point of Israel is to be a haven for Jews. That will only work with a stable majority. Palestinians from Gaza or the West Bank don't want to be part of Israel. They don't want to speak Hebrew or live in a country informed by Jewish values. And that's totally fine. Nobody wants to force them to be a part of something they don't want. Neither side wants to be involved with the other and that's the best approach. A country needs a common set of values to function and there is simply no way to reconcile the vast differences between Israeli and Palestinian culture. Even in Europe, outside of the obvious example of former Yugoslavia, these types of multi-ethnic states are inherently unstable. The UK, Spain, Belgium, even Canada have very significant separatist movements. The model of the US is not something that can be exported worldwide. It's a very unique model that formed under specific circumstances and has/had major issues under the hood. And it's still a fascinating question if the US model will even work long term.
sycasey
CaliforniaEternal said:

Your second point while laudable won't work. The point of Israel is to be a haven for Jews. That will only work with a stable majority. Palestinians from Gaza or the West Bank don't want to be part of Israel. They don't want to speak Hebrew or live in a country informed by Jewish values. And that's totally fine. Nobody wants to force them to be a part of something they don't want. Neither side wants to be involved with the other and that's the best approach. A country needs a common set of values to function and there is simply no way to reconcile the vast differences between Israeli and Palestinian culture. Even in Europe, outside of the obvious example of former Yugoslavia, these types of multi-ethnic states are inherently unstable. The UK, Spain, Belgium, even Canada have very significant separatist movements. The model of the US is not something that can be exported worldwide. It's a very unique model that formed under specific circumstances and has/had major issues under the hood. And it's still a fascinating question if the US model will even work long term.
I disagree with your claim that multi-ethnic states are inherently unstable. I mean, that you have to reach for Canada to try proving your point kind of says a lot. How many people think Canada is an unstable country?

Multi-ethnic democracies are generally the economic envy of the world. The US is hardly the only example.
Lets Go Brandon 17
BearGoggles said:

dimitrig said:

BearGoggles said:

Slava Palestini said:

wifeisafurd said:

Biden also said "if such an attack happened in the United States "our response would be swift, decisive and overwhelming." In the last several days, many leaders have condemned the Hamas attack. However, Biden remains the only one (to my knowledge) not to include a plea to Israel to show restraint to avoid Palestinian civilian casualties. Maybe this was done privately by Biden or others, but that Biden has made several public speeches and failed to publicly suggest such restrain is rather telling. Hope I'm working, but I'm expecting Gaza to take a pounding.
Biden's Zionist handlers would never allow him to show any compassion for Palestinians.

Here's some Grade A gaslighting by the State Department today when pressed on Israeli war crimes and human rights violations.

I'm also laughing at all the BI Zionists who have not one thing to say in response to all the evidence I've presented that Israel has actively supported and encouraged Hamas as a counter to other secular Palestinian organizations to sow dissension and lessen the chances of a Palestinian state. Deep down, you know that Israel is an apartheid state, but you don't care and you know you've got nothing to counter those facts.

Also, got some footage of some of the terrorists Isreal has killed.

Someone posts "Biden's Zionist handlers" on this board - a clear antisemitic trope - and it gets 3 likes on this board?

You have held this opinion before, but being anti-Zionist or anti-Israel is not necessarily antisemitic.

It is not a question of being anti-Zionist or anti-Israeli policy. That is not, in and of itself, antisemitic.

But that type of statement - suggesting Jewish/Zionist control of governments, the economy, the media - is Exhibit "1" on the list of antisemitic tropes. The fact that you deny that is bizarre and actually explains a lot.

Quote:

DS: I'II tell you, I have friends on the Clinton campaign, close associates. Gore is very committed to us.
HK: Right. Clinton if he, have you spoken to him?
DS: I've known Bill for seven, eight years from the National Governors Association. I know him on a personal basis. I have friends. One of my friends is Hillary Clinton's scheduler, one of my officer's daughters works there. We gave two employees from AIPAC leave of absences to work on the campaign. I mean, we have a dozen people in that campaign, in the headquarters.
HK: You mean in Little Rock?
DS: In Little Rock, and they're all going to get big jobs. We have friends. I also work with a think tank, the Washington Institute. I have Michael Mandelbaum and Martin Indyk being foreign policy advisers. Steve Speigelwe've got friendsthis is my business.
Pro-Israel Lobby's Leader Quits Over Boasts - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Quote:

In a statement tonight, Mr. Steiner said: "In an effort to encourage and impress what I thought was a potential political activist, calling on the telephone, I made statements which went beyond overzealousness and exaggeration and were simply and totally untrue.

"These included, among other statements, false statements about a meeting with James Baker, and false statements about the Clinton campaign," the statement said.

In the conversation, which was taped by the unidentified caller, Mr. Steiner boasted that he had "cut a deal" with Mr. Baker that resulted in Israel getting "$1 billion and other goodies that people don't even know about." This was an apparent reference to a recent arrangement with Israel to preposition American military equipment there.

Mr. Steiner also boasted that he was engaged in negotiations with the Clinton campaign over who would be in the Clinton Cabinet and who would be Mr. Clinton's Secretary of State.
"simply and totally untrue"
https://media.tenor.com/kARlNjt1Xn0AAAAC/ok-okay.gif
socaltownie
CaliforniaEternal said:

see I am deeply confused. See we have some waying "he point of Israel is to be a haven for Jews. That will only work with a stable majority. Palestinians from Gaza or the West Bank don't want to be part of Israel. They don't want to speak Hebrew or live in a country informed by Jewish values. "

At the same time we have protestations that non-Jewish Israel citizens have equal rights and it is a liberal democracy ("the only one!") in the entire Middle east.

See I am too much of a creature of the American system to hold those 2 things in my head. Either the a polyethnic state accords equal rights to everyone and keeps religion largely out of the public square or, ipsofacto, some citizens enjoy rights other do not.

And even Israel confronts this challenge as the far right orthadox parties (and sects) do not recognize reform Jews as actual "true jews". Just hope they never really gain enough power to decide who sits as PM if you are not fully keeping Kosher.
socaltownie
sycasey said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

I disagree with your claim that multi-ethnic states are inherently unstable. I mean, that you have to reach for Canada to try proving your point kind of says a lot. How many people think Canada is an unstable country?

Multi-ethnic democracies are generally the economic envy of the world. The US is hardly the only example.
And nearly every Western Democracy is. Indeed, the opnly that has tried to hold the line on that through both culture and politics (Japan) faces serious demographic problem because of aging population and not enough immigration to make up for horribly low birth rates.

Really some of this is scary. It is the language the worst of the Protestants in Norther Irelland used to condem catholics who they said should just move south and leave the 6 counties to the non-papists.

PS. This in no way does anything other than condem Hamas and terror. It is to say that the reality is that Israel ultimately is going to have to forge a way forward that finds an equal place for non-jews.
CaliforniaEternal
The 1995 Quebec independence referendum received 49.5% yes vote. That's not to say violence would erupt if these regions tried to gain independence, but there is political instability in many economically stable countries. Between Catalonia, Scotland, Quebec, and others, they're one big crisis away from crossing the threshold.
socaltownie
These polling results depress the f out of me in respect to a lasting peace.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/how-israels-jewishness-is-overtaking-its-democracy/
CaliforniaEternal
This war will end eventually, the status quo will more or less continue, and life will go on. Never get your hopes up for a major breakthrough in the Middle East because it won't happen. It's really like Cal football in the regard.
sycasey
CaliforniaEternal said:

The 1995 Quebec independence referendum received 49.5% yes vote. That's not to say violence would erupt if these regions tried to gain independence, but there is political instability in many economically stable countries. Between Catalonia, Scotland, Quebec, and others, they're one big crisis away from crossing the threshold.
Canada has been basically configured as it is for the last 150 years or so and you are citing one independence vote that almost passed one time (Quebec independence has swiftly lost popularity in the years since). It's a pretty stable country.

But here's the thing: democracies will always have some kind of political instability. It's kind of part of the deal; everyone has a vote. Countries without any (at least to all outward appearance) do so because they are authoritarian and can suppress dissent.
socaltownie
sycasey said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

Canada has been basically configured as it is for the last 150 years or so and you are citing one independence vote that almost passed one time (Quebec independence has swiftly lost popularity in the years since). It's a pretty stable country.

But here's the thing: democracies will always have some kind of political instability. It's kind of part of the deal; everyone has a vote. Countries without any (at least to all outward appearance) do so because they are authoritarian and can suppress dissent.
This. I would also add that they work (or those that do) because politics is not a life or death struggle. When it is seen as such democracy is on shaky ground. One of the real dangers of the last 2 decades in the US is that the 2 political parties have painted the other as an existential threat....and when that is the case it is vital to win EVERY election...cause see existential threat.
socaltownie
sycasey said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

And here is the interesting thing. Even though the Quebec'ers make up a minority French is an official language and prominent in Quebec. The federal system provides the provinces significant automy. Quebec as a poorer province gets a massive transfer from the resource rich west (which pisses them off to no end). The native peoples in teh North also get special consideration so they feel part of the Dominion. Canada, indeed, is one fo the WORST examples to cite as it has navitaged its way (arguably better than the US) as hetrogenous and tolerate country.
dimitrig
socaltownie said:

These polling results depress the f out of me in respect to a lasting peace.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/how-israels-jewishness-is-overtaking-its-democracy/

"If two states become impossible, America chooses democracy over Jewishness. In fact, this has been consistently reflected in American public attitudes across the political spectrum, most recently in this November 2015 poll; in the absence of a two-state solution, 72 percent of Americans would want a democratic Israel, even if it meant that Israel ceases to be a Jewish state with a Jewish majority."

I am in this 72 percent. Theocracies have no place in the modern world whether they are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or Christian.

Zippergate
The only theocracies involved in this conflict are the Muslim states. If there is an increase in Jewishness, should we be surprised by this in light of constant racially-motivated suicide bombers, rocket attacks, etc? I find it interesting to hear Americans telling the only democracy in the region how it should conduct its affairs but silent about terror-supporting states like Iran. Talk of returning to 1947 is wishful thinking. Israel has won multiple wars and is not going back. Palestinians would never accept that the 1947 borders anyway. Perhaps the only hope for peace is to stop the terror-supporting states like Iran from supplying the terrorists.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8NhYoda0AA78mn?format=jpg&name=360x360
bearister
tRump never fails to not disappoint:

Trump chides Israel just days after attack - POLITICO

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/11/netanyahu-trump-chides-israel-hamas-war-00121142

" He criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and called Hezbollah "very smart." Both less than a week after the attack on Israel….

He also directly went after Netanyahu, who he asserted did not help the United States in the drone strike in 2020 that killed Suleimani, the leader of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps responsible for secret military operations...

"I'll never forget that Bibi Netanyahu let us down," he said. "That was a very terrible thing."

*Translation: The House of Saud gave him a call and told him it didn't give his moronic son in law $2B and pay tRump millions under the table to have him have Israel's back in the present conflict.

*..and we all know how tRump's base feels about Jewish people.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearGoggles
socaltownie said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

see I am deeply confused. See we have some waying "he point of Israel is to be a haven for Jews. That will only work with a stable majority. Palestinians from Gaza or the West Bank don't want to be part of Israel. They don't want to speak Hebrew or live in a country informed by Jewish values. "

At the same time we have protestations that non-Jewish Israel citizens have equal rights and it is a liberal democracy ("the only one!") in the entire Middle east.

See I am too much of a creature of the American system to hold those 2 things in my head. Either the a polyethnic state accords equal rights to everyone and keeps religion largely out of the public square or, ipsofacto, some citizens enjoy rights other do not.

And even Israel confronts this challenge as the far right orthadox parties (and sects) do not recognize reform Jews as actual "true jews". Just hope they never really gain enough power to decide who sits as PM if you are not fully keeping Kosher.
Two things can be true. You can have a state with an official religion and still accord equal rights to minorities.

Great Britain is historically majority white (about 50-50 now) and has an official religion (Church of England), yet somehow manages to be a "liberal democracy" according equal rights to everyone. In fact, there are lots of European countries that would fall in that category (Denmark, Finland, Greece, Norway, Sweden, Poland, and Italy). Samoa too.

Several Central/South American countries have Catholicism as their official religion, though I suppose you could argue they are not fully democratic in some cases.

I'll admit, states with Islam as their official religion probably haven't achieved that yet - many are not democratic and most don't in practice afford minority religions equal rights.

Implicit in your argument (bolded above) is that if a state has an official religion, by definition people of other religions are denied their "rights." I don't think that's automatically true - again Great Britain being a pretty good example. What rights are Jews/Muslims denied in GB by virtue of the Church of England being the official religion?

And you seem to feel that the only way to be a "liberal democracy" is to keep religion out of the public square. Again, I don't think that's true unless you are defining liberal democracy as requiring that, which may be what you're doing.

Israel does confront real challenges in balancing these issues. No doubt the ultra-orthodox have disproportionate influence (for now). But by any reasonable measure, Israel is a liberal democracy - no less than than Great Britain or any of the other European countries mentioned above that have state religions.

Two anecdotal points - I think the ultra-orthodox may be losing their power. It seems likely the center will coalesce after recent events, depriving those minority sects of their kingmaking power. And I want to mention that my preference - personally - is a pretty clear separation of church and state as we have in the US. But my preference doesn't mean that countries with a different approach fail the liberal democracy test.
sycasey
socaltownie said:

sycasey said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

And nearly every Western Democracy is. Indeed, the opnly that has tried to hold the line on that through both culture and politics (Japan) faces serious demographic problem because of aging population and not enough immigration to make up for horribly low birth rates.
Not just Japan; South Korea has a similar problem.

Though even in those countries, citizenship and immigration policies can be described as extremely strict (at least up until some recent loosening), but are not explicitly based on ethnicity or religion. They just have just historically made it very hard for someone whose parents were not Japanese or Korean nationals to become Japanese or Korean nationals. Again, Israel is different for having explicitly stated its preference for one ethnic group to remain dominant.
socaltownie
Not sure if this link works but I thought extremely powerful

https://www.facebook.com/1101504482/posts/pfbid02ZSgVpbar5Ln7Y6tHwBFi7CJ2txLmVJ7jfF5wQnbAuwDxUneo8sXUx6FPf1BcCoTl/?mibextid=Nif5oz
tequila4kapp
In a thread about a war that started when a terrorist organization - one which militarily overthrew a democratically elected Palestinian government and apparently rules Palestine by force - invaded a country and killed civilians, including burning civilians alive and beheading babies, there's an awful lot of attention paid to Israel, it's form of government and the role of Judaism. An objective of the terrorists and the propagandists is to do just this. Maybe we should resist that temptation and focus elsewhere, like on the terrorists and their supporters.
AunBear89
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/10/12/middleeast/israel-hamas-beheading-claims-intl/index.html

You righties need to stop believing everything you read about this tragedy. Bad actors on both sides will make wild claims about the evil of the other side. Dopes like you will cherry pick the stories that support your prejudices and use them as justification for your bigotry.

Is it now a requirement that all Republicans be useful idiots?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
tequila4kapp said:

In a thread about a war that started when a terrorist organization - one which militarily overthrew a democratically elected Palestinian government and apparently rules Palestine by force - invaded a country and killed civilians, including burning civilians alive and beheading babies, there's an awful lot of attention paid to Israel, it's form of government and the role of Judaism. An objective of the terrorists and the propagandists is to do just this. Maybe we should resist that temptation and focus elsewhere, like on the terrorists and their supporters.

I have been very clear in all of my posts that I don't think Hamas is better.
tequila4kapp
AunBear89 said:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/10/12/middleeast/israel-hamas-beheading-claims-intl/index.html

You righties need to stop believing everything you read about this tragedy. Bad actors on both sides will make wild claims about the evil of the other side. Dopes like you will cherry pick the stories that support your prejudices and use them as justification for your bigotry.

Is it now a requirement that all Republicans be useful idiots?
Congratulations! You found a 30 minute old news story that updates reporting done by that infamously rabidly right wing outlet CNN - including on the ground 1st hand reports by CNN reporters - about beheading civilians, and use it to claim I am "cherry picking" stories. You are an asshat.

Also, from your own story:
"There have been cases of Hamas militants carrying out beheadings and other ISIS-style atrocities. However, we cannot confirm if the victims were men or women, soldiers or civilians, adults or children," the official said.

SUPERB distinction to support your position - Hamas maybe only beheaded adults and children but not babies! Yeah, my bad. You win.
AunBear89
Liars , hypocrites, and THE MORONS who vote for them.

Your biases will always get in your way. Back to the clown car, pretend reasonable Republican.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
socaltownie
tequila4kapp said:

I don't disagree. In the current crisis Hamas is 100% horrible and horrific. Iran has been a force of evil (and sadly I don't see that resolving anytime soon because it is pretty clear from the past 3 years that they have a sophisticated authoritarian state that can crush dissent). I wish it was simple to stop them from funding terrorists which they support largely to weaken the Saudis (geopolitical and stupid religious split). I don't know what more to do there - the sanction regime is pretty solid and while it is frustrating that the frozen funds were released I think it also was a serious problem where we needed to get our citizens back.

But I can hold that in my head but also think that the current government in Israel is making a lasting "peace" more difficult and, indeed, that US citizens that support the way that many on the Israeli right frame the issue makes things almost impossible. I don't see how a state can be one "thing" when 20-25% of the population (that is faster growing) believes in a different thing. I don't see how a state can be one "thing" when it means to maintain a majority they have to deny citizenship to 2-4 milion others.

I also think - pretty strongly - that a big chunk of the last 200 years of American history has been exactly about the slow march toward justice for OUR racial minority that was denied full citizenship and how, through fits and starts, we have forged a crooked path toward a better future.

socaltownie
BearGoggles said:

socaltownie said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

Two things can be true. You can have a state with an official religion and still accord equal rights to minorities.

Great Britain is historically majority white (about 50-50 now) and has an official religion (Church of England), yet somehow manages to be a "liberal democracy" according equal rights to everyone. In fact, there are lots of European countries that would fall in that category (Denmark, Finland, Greece, Norway, Sweden, Poland, and Italy). Samoa too.

Several Central/South American countries have Catholicism as their official religion, though I suppose you could argue they are not fully democratic in some cases.

I'll admit, states with Islam as their official religion probably haven't achieved that yet - many are not democratic and most don't in practice afford minority religions equal rights.

Implicit in your argument (bolded above) is that if a state has an official religion, by definition people of other religions are denied their "rights." I don't think that's automatically true - again Great Britain being a pretty good example. What rights are Jews/Muslims denied in GB by virtue of the Church of England being the official religion?

And you seem to feel that the only way to be a "liberal democracy" is to keep religion out of the public square. Again, I don't think that's true unless you are defining liberal democracy as requiring that, which may be what you're doing.

Israel does confront real challenges in balancing these issues. No doubt the ultra-orthodox have disproportionate influence (for now). But by any reasonable measure, Israel is a liberal democracy - no less than than Great Britain or any of the other European countries mentioned above that have state religions.

Two anecdotal points - I think the ultra-orthodox may be losing their power. It seems likely the center will coalesce after recent events, depriving those minority sects of their kingmaking power. And I want to mention that my preference - personally - is a pretty clear separation of church and state as we have in the US. But my preference doesn't mean that countries with a different approach fail the liberal democracy test.
A few quibbles and then an important observation.

Quibbles: To be precise ENGLAND's official religion is Anglicanism but not true in Scotland and Wales (I am not sure about that part in the Good Friday agreements but should look it up). Moreover, essentially England fought a bloody civil war in the 1600s which seperated out the Church of England from the state. Once you start getting into that you start to find just how HORRIFIC it was and why Hobbes would write about it as making life "Nasty, Brutish and Short". I tend to believe that this is is an important foundational part of liberal democratic history.

It is important to move beyond Wiki. Here, for example, is what it means to have "state religion" in Denmark. I might suggest that this is VERY different than the role that Judism holds in Israel.

https://www.state.gov/reports/2022-report-on-international-religious-freedom/denmark/#:~:text=The%20constitution%20guarantees%20religious%20freedom,available%20to%20other%20religious%20groups.

Observation:

It also is important to recognize that while some western nations do have legacy ties to an "official" religion many (most?) of these countries are deeply secular. For example see

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/07/decline-churchgoing-english-churches-level-up#:~:text=According%20to%20a%202022%20survey,services%20in%202021%20was%20509%2C000.

To equate the role of Judism in Isreali life with the role of the Aglican church in England is to either be soley ignorant about both or to be making a farical and disingenious argument. I PERSONALLY believe that where we get into real challenges is with state power that is used in fairly (deeply?) religious states. If you dont have the distance to talk about the ME then lets look at modern day India - a democractic state but where Mohdi is using the state and other organs of power to pretty clearly gin up anti-islamic persecutions by Hindis.
Zippergate
For those crying "Gaza has no water", watch how Hamas digs out water pipes and repurposes an entire sewage system in Gaza to manufacture rockets. They're proud of keeping Palestinians thirsty.

sycasey
Zippergate said:

For those crying "Gaza has no water", watch how Hamas digs out water pipes and repurposes an entire sewage system in Gaza to manufacture rockets. They're proud of keeping Palestinians thirsty.
Hamas is terrible, but Israel cutting off water and electricity to the entire civilian population of Gaza also seems terrible!
AunBear89
sycasey said:

Zippergate said:

Hamas is terrible, but Israel cutting off water and electricity to the entire civilian population of Gaza also seems terrible!

As with everything else on the political right around the world, "it's ok if our side does it!"
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

tRump never fails to not disappoint:

Trump chides Israel just days after attack - POLITICO

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/11/netanyahu-trump-chides-israel-hamas-war-00121142

" He criticized Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and called Hezbollah "very smart." Both less than a week after the attack on Israel….

He also directly went after Netanyahu, who he asserted did not help the United States in the drone strike in 2020 that killed Suleimani, the leader of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps responsible for secret military operations...

"I'll never forget that Bibi Netanyahu let us down," he said. "That was a very terrible thing."

*Translation: The House of Saud gave him a call and told him it didn't give his moronic son in law $2B and pay tRump millions under the table to have him have Israel's back in the present conflict.

*..and we all know how tRump's base feels about Jewish people.

The Orange one is truly tone deaf.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.