2020 Election - Catch-all Thread

259,553 Views | 2434 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Unit2Sucks
GBear4Life
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

I have never seen so much projection in my life.
Funny, that's what I've claimed and shown that you're doing.

Go ahead and expound
sycasey
BearsWiin said:

This board's never been all that great, but it really went downhill two months ago when that turd joined

Eh, it's not much worse than when iwantwinners was spamming every thread.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

BearsWiin said:

This board's never been all that great, but it really went downhill two months ago when that turd joined

Did he/she call you out and throw cold water on your guys' circle jerks too? (i.e. "spamming")

BearsWiin
GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

BearsWiin said:

Did he/she call you out and throw cold water on your guys' circle jerks too? (i.e. "spamming")

He couldn't carry an argument to save his life either
sycasey
BearsWiin said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

BearsWiin said:

He couldn't carry an argument to save his life either

He also voiced cruel and sometimes vaguely racist ideas, all while constantly insulting anyone who disagreed. So actually, it was about the same. We sure GBear is a different guy?
okaydo
AunBear89
BearsWiin said:

I disagree, my Finnish friend. This is modern theater of the absurd. Or maybe it's modern bear wrestling...

Either way, it's entertaining to see the hapless underdog getting repeatedly swatted down by various opponents, only to keep coming back with essentially the same reply.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearsWiin
AunBear89 said:

BearsWiin said:

I disagree, my Finnish friend. This is modern theater of the absurd. Or maybe it's modern bear wrestling...

Either way, it's entertaining to see the hapless underdog getting repeatedly swatted down by various opponents, only to keep coming back with essentially the same reply.
Everybody's entitled to their opinion, of course. I just think it's tiresome
bearister
BearsWiin said:

AunBear89 said:

BearsWiin said:

The nuns that taught me said you are only entitled to an opinion that is based on an analysis of facts. Other than that, the "opinion" is little more than white noise. You know, like an "opinion" based on Fox News talking points or a Breitbart article.
BearsWiin
bearister said:

BearsWiin said:

AunBear89 said:

BearsWiin said:

The nuns that taught me said you are only entitled to an opinion that is based on an analysis of facts. Other than that, the "opinion" is little more than white noise. You know, like an "opinion" based on Fox News talking points or a Breitbart article.
I wasn't clear. I meant that AB89 is entitled to his opinion about how fun it is to have the persistently ignorant foul this board. Said persistently ignorant can **** themselves with a rusty Ka-bar. I don't give two runny craps about their opinions
Another Bear
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

- Daniel Patrick Moynihan
bearister
"At a rally in Pennsylvania Monday night, President Donald Trump made it clear that he's still holding a grudge against Fox News for giving airtime to Democratic rival Pete Buttigieg.

Trump continued the feud on-stage, making several jibes at his favorite news network, and prompting a chorus of boos at Fox's expense from the large crowd." Business Insider

What media outlet do tRumpists have left? RT?

B.A. Bearacus
GBear4Life
Had to rec BABs best post
concordtom
Nice graphic on the age of candidates.
I'm thinking late 70's is past ones prime (sorry older Bears.)

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/politics/elections/2019/05/03/2020-candidates-ages/3643967002/
bearister
"He oversold, and the customers, the public, tired of the pitch, and the pitchman." Roy Cohn, on the fall of Sen. Joseph McCarthy.
B.A. Bearacus
Really nice from Mayor Pete. Talks about DT's draft dodge. Watch the first two minutes.

Cal88
Buttigieg is a hypocrite, denouncing Trump's dodging the Vietnam draft, while at the same time having pro-war interventionist policies in favor of other useless wars that are the equivalent of Vietnam.

As well he had a glorified resume-padding desk job for 7 months in Afghanistan, designed to bolster his political ambitions.

In any case, Trump would crush him in the general.
Another Bear
Cal88 said:

Buttigieg is a hypocrite, denouncing Trump's dodging the Vietnam draft, while at the same time having pro-war interventionist policies in favor of other useless wars that are the equivalent of Vietnam.

As well he had a glorified resume-padding desk job for 7 months in Afghanistan, designed to bolster his political ambitions.

Did you serve in the U.S. military?
B.A. Bearacus
Cal88 said:

He said his only beef with what DT did was that he used his privilege to get a doctor to lie for him, and that he would have had no issue if he chose not to go as a conscientious objector.

Which definition of hypocrisy are you using? The earth one?
B.A. Bearacus
Cal88 said:

But yeah, sounds like he was just alphabetizing stacks of paper while checking Instagram:

"In 2009 and 2013, Buttigieg was commissioned as a Navy intelligence officer while serving as mayor. He took a leave of absence to serve in Afghanistan in 2014 for a seven-month deployment and earned the Joint Service Commendation Medal for his counterterrorism work." [ABC News]
Cal88
B.A. Bearacus said:

Cal88 said:

He said his only beef with what DT did was that he used his privilege to get a doctor to lie for him, and that he would have had no issue if he chose not to go as a conscientious objector.

That didn't work out well for the conscientious objectors who ended up having to do jail time or escaping to Canada. I can't blame someone for getting out of from a useless, morally corrupt war like Vietnam. But in the case of Buttigieg, as in the case of chickehawks like GWB and Cheney, there is some hypocrisy in dodging the war while being pro-war. I know Buttigieg did serve, but he was never in the line of fire, and his service was very limited, and it was most likely a politically motivated careerist move.

Are you in favor of interventionism in Afghanistan, Syria or Venezuela? Do you think we should spend another $6 trillion on those wars in the next decade? Buttigieg is arguably the most hawkish Democrat candidate, one of the main reasons I dislike him.
Cal88
Another Bear said:

Cal88 said:

No, but I paid my share of income tax funding the $6 trillion and counting post-2001 endless wars.
Another Bear
Cal88 said:

Another Bear said:

Cal88 said:

No, but I paid my share of income tax funding the $6 trillion and counting post-2001 endless wars.
Paying taxes for the endless war certainly allows you to complain about the war debt (like the rest of us) but frankly it's a far reach to criticize service members criticizing a draft dodger. Of course you added the extra stupid a-hole factor by calling his 7 month stint in Afghanistan resume-padding for political gain. He was called up, so he served. In any case, very weird and hypocritical position for a right winger.
Unit2Sucks
Another Bear said:

Paying taxes for the endless war certainly allows you to complain about the war debt (like the rest of us) but frankly it's a far reach to criticize service members criticizing a draft dodger. Of course you added the extra stupid a-hole factor by calling his 7 month stint in Afghanistan resume-padding for political gain. He was called up, so he served. In any case, very weird and hypocritical position for a right winger.
Cal88 isn't really a right winger. He sometimes overlaps with them, in large part due to a shared love of conspiracy theories, but he doesn't toe the republican line in his posts on BI.

He is likely to advocate positions that are beneficial to Putin, so I could see how you would interpret him as being a right winger - they have that in common.
Another Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

Another Bear said:

Cal88 isn't really a right winger. He sometimes overlaps with them, in large part due to a shared love of conspiracy theories, but he doesn't toe the republican line in his posts on BI.

He is likely to advocate positions that are beneficial to Putin, so I could see how you would interpret him as being a right winger - they have that in common.
Fair enough. Not RW...but still NJ. Gotcha.
sycasey
If the goal is to avoid war-mongering and foreign intervention, then voting Republican is clearly the way to go.
Cal88
Another Bear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Another Bear said:

Right, because you're either pro-endless war, or you're a Putin-loving Nut Job (or from New Jersey?)

Quote:

If the goal is to avoid war-mongering and foreign intervention, then voting Republican is clearly the way to go.

Trump did run on a non-interventionist platform, but he might be pulling a 180 with neocons like Bolton, Pompeo and Abrams running foreign policy. Voting for Sanders, Tulsi, Yang or maybe Warren over Biden or Buttigieg would be the better option here if you're against endless war.

GBear4Life
Cal88 said:

I don't see the inherent hypocrisy or immorality of not wanting to serve in the military while supporting certain foreign interventions. Otherwise Obama is a hypocrite and thus it handicaps every politician who has never served (which is most). It can be hypocritical, but not inherently so.

Buttgieg seems like a candidate worthy of consideration from Dems to me.

dajo9
Cal88 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Cal88 said:

That didn't work out well for the conscientious objectors who ended up having to do jail time or escaping to Canada. I can't blame someone for getting out of from a useless, morally corrupt war like Vietnam. But in the case of Buttigieg, as in the case of chickehawks like GWB and Cheney, there is some hypocrisy in dodging the war while being pro-war. I know Buttigieg did serve, but he was never in the line of fire, and his service was very limited, and it was most likely a politically motivated careerist move.

Are you in favor of interventionism in Afghanistan, Syria or Venezuela? Do you think we should spend another $6 trillion on those wars in the next decade? Buttigieg is arguably the most hawkish Democrat candidate, one of the main reasons I dislike him.

Let's be honest here. Cal88 is going to trash whichever Dem gets the nomination.
American Vermin
dajo9
Cal88 said:

Another Bear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Another Bear said:

Right, because you're either pro-endless war, or you're a Putin-loving Nut Job (or from New Jersey?)

Quote:

Trump did run on a non-interventionist platform, but he might be pulling a 180 with neocons like Bolton, Pompeo and Abrams running foreign policy. Voting for Sanders, Tulsi, Yang or maybe Warren over Biden or Buttigieg would be the better option here if you're against endless war.

Only stupid people and Putin propagandists believed Hillary would be more aggressive with the military than Trump.
American Vermin
Cal88
(^Gets up at 5am to post the usual nasty Putin one-liner)
dajo9
Cal88 said:

(^Gets up at 5am to post the usual nasty Putin one-liner)

5:56 am PST is 8:56 am EST. Sorry if that's too early for you.
American Vermin
BearsWiin
Cal88 said:

This is factually wrong

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.