2020 Election - Catch-all Thread

259,494 Views | 2434 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Unit2Sucks
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?

It seems Warren will be the big winner followed by Buttigieg, as they were the second choice of Harris supporters by a margin of 28% and 17%.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/11/14/the_impact_of_voter_second_choices_as_2020_dems_drop_out_141732.html
Unit2Sucks
Harris would need a lot more supporters for there to be any big winner from her dropping out. She was polling around 4%.

Her exit announcement was a really big copout. She had a fundraising problem because not enough people were interested in her candidacy. Sure there are two billionaires running, but neither of them are polling better than her either. Her inability to distinguish herself in this crowd says more about her than it does about billionaires.
B.A. Bearacus
Can't imagine any other serious or semi-serious Dem candidate responding like Buttigieg does here.

dajo9
B.A. Bearacus said:

Can't imagine any other serious or semi-serious Dem candidate responding like Buttigieg does here.

This is a good exhibit of what I don't like about Buttigieg. The Democratic Party has done a great job bringing down the deficit. The deficit has gone up with every Republican President in my adult life and down with every Democratic President in my adult life. Instead of running on the successes of Democratic Presidents before him, Buttigieg would prefer to reiterate a dishonest Republican talking point that the media has fully absorbed.
American Vermin
dajo9
Watching Deval Patrick's campaign to be Michael Bloomberg's Vice President is just doubling down on sadness
American Vermin
sycasey
dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

This is a good exhibit of what I don't like about Buttigieg. The Democratic Party has done a great job bringing down the deficit. The deficit has gone up with every Republican President in my adult life and down with every Democratic President in my adult life. Instead of running on the successes of Democratic Presidents before him, Buttigieg would prefer to reiterate a dishonest Republican talking point that the media has fully absorbed.
Yeah, that is some Grade-A bulls*** from Pete. If anything fixing the deficit was the greatest accomplishment of the Clinton Administration.
Yogi14
dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

This is an example of what I don't like about Buttigieg. He says everything he's proposed is paid for?

Really?

HOW?

He says these things, but never offers actual solutions or plans. He just "talks about them." Obama was real good at talking too. I want a do-er, not a talker.
B.A. Bearacus
calbear93
Professor Turgeson Bear said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

This is an example of what I don't like about Buttigieg. He says everything he's proposed is paid for?

Really?

HOW?

He says these things, but never offers actual solutions or plans. He just "talks about them." Obama was real good at talking too. I want a do-er, not a talker.
Sanders has done so much.
calbear93
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Yeah, that is some Grade-A bulls*** from Pete. If anything fixing the deficit was the greatest accomplishment of the Clinton Administration.
That's because Clinton was a fiscally conservative president who not only raised taxes but also cut entitlements. Who do you view as a fiscally conservative candidate in the primary?
Unit2Sucks

I want a do-er, not a talker.
So why Bernie? Serious question - what has he done other than talk for decades? To me he comes across more like a person calling into sportstalk radio than someone who actually does things.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

That's because Clinton was a fiscally conservative president who not only raised taxes but also cut entitlements. Who do you view as a fiscally conservative candidate in the primary?
Clinton was not a fiscally conservative President. Reagan, GWB, and Trump are fiscally conservative President's. That's what they ran on. That's who supported them. That's what they are.

Trump is the most fiscally conservative person running. If he wins he will continue to blow up the deficit and divert bailouts to people he likes (the farmers) and shift money away from people he doesn't like (blue staters).

The most fiscally responsible person running is probably Joe Biden but all of the Democrats would be more fiscally responsible than the fiscal conservative in the White House.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

I would concur with dajo that it's probably Biden, not that fiscal conservatism is necessarily my number one priority. It was definitely Clinton's most successful policy.
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Clinton was not a fiscally conservative President. Reagan, GWB, and Trump are fiscally conservative President's. That's what they ran on. That's who supported them. That's what they are.

Trump is the most fiscally conservative person running. If he wins he will continue to blow up the deficit and divert bailouts to people he likes (the farmers) and shift money away from people he doesn't like (blue staters).

The most fiscally responsible person running is probably Joe Biden but all of the Democrats would be more fiscally responsible than the fiscal conservative in the White House.
If you want to be snide, don't bother.

If you want to engage in actual conversation, then don't write stupid **** like this. You are not being clever, just an annoying twit.

What do you want me to say? That Reagan, GWB and Trump were not fiscally conservative? When have I said they were? I have always said they were blowing up the deficit and incurring unsustainable debt.

This is the type of stupid **** that makes us draw battle lines and snipe at each other.

Not interesting in a stupid ***** slap fight with you, so just ****ing stop.
Yogi14
Unit2Sucks said:

So why Bernie? Serious question - what has he done other than talk for decades? To me he comes across more like a person calling into sportstalk radio than someone who actually does things.
Because he's the only one that you can count on to try to do what he says he'll do and he's very specific about what he wants to do. I have no reason to believe Biden is committed to doing anything other than focusing on foreign policy. I have no reason to believe Warren is committed to do anything other than regulate the financial industry, and Buttigieg is vague about what he actually stands for. The rest don't have enough support to matter.

And as for the what has he done, we've already gone over this before. Senators don't sponsor as much legislation as people think. I'm sure Biden has sponsored more than anyone else, but he's also been around way longer than anyone else.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

If you want to engage in actual conversation, then don't write stupid **** like this. You are not being clever, just an annoying twit.

What do you want me to say? That Reagan, GWB and Trump were not fiscally conservative? When have I said they were? I have always said they were blowing up the deficit and incurring unsustainable debt.

This is the type of stupid **** that makes us draw battle lines and snipe at each other.

Help me out here. Reagan, GWB, and Trump all ran as fiscal conservatives. Nearly all the fiscal conservatives I know voted for them. They all blew up the deficit and spent recklessly. How many times do we have to live through that before we identify the policy as what people say, do, and support. Fiscal conservative Presidents blow up the deficit and spend recklessly. It's been that way my whole life. Why would any of us pretend otherwise?
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

I would concur with dajo that it's probably Biden, not that fiscal conservatism is necessarily my number one priority. It was definitely Clinton's most successful policy.
And why I truly appreciated Bill Clinton's presidency (and a big reason why I was comfortable with Hillary despite her disingenuous pivot to identity politics at the end). I also appreciated Obama's presidency and his effort to govern all without vilifying half the country (despite the fact that he was more left center on fiscal policy than conservative).

I think Bloomberg is actually the most fiscally conservative candidate and the one I most align with. I could get around to Buttigieg but would need to get to understand his perspective more (not much to go by).
Yogi14
dajo9 said:

How is Joe Biden the most fiscally responsible when he's been in Congress during the biggest run-up of the debt and deficit? What's he ever done to try and reduce either?

The only thing that makes him fiscally responsible compared to the other candidates is he doesn't want to do much with a domestic agenda, so he doesn't have to explain how he's going to pay for all the things he doesn't want to do.
Yogi14
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

Help me out here. Reagan, GWB, and Trump all ran as fiscal conservatives. Nearly all the fiscal conservatives I know voted for them. They all blew up the deficit and spent recklessly. How many times do we have to live through that before we identify the policy as what people say, do, and support. Fiscal conservative Presidents blow up the deficit and spend recklessly. It's been that way my whole life. Why would any of us pretend otherwise?
Fiscal conservative is a meaningless term.
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Help you out with what, you disingenuous, feckless weasel? Reagan did not win for being a fiscal conservative. Reagan ran on a stronger US in the global platform, fighting against communism, growing the economy and lower taxes. After Carter's foreign and domestic policies, people voted for Reagan because they needed a return to normalcy. All of the former Democrats didn't become neocons because Reagan was a fiscal conservative. They became neocons because they wanted a stronger US against foreign powers. If anything, George H Bush was the fiscal conservative, calling Reagan's economic policies voodoo economics.

GWB won because Gore was such a weasel. I think he would have made a better president, but he was so genuinely inauthentic. And Kerry? No charisma. Trump did not run as a fiscal conservative. He ran as a populist. True fiscal conservative like Koch brothers did not support him. He ran for less regulation, which is not the same as being fiscal conservative.

But you know what, I always feel like I need to wash my hands after engaging with you. Just hope you are not this slimy in real life and you actually do have some genuine side to you.
Unit2Sucks

Unit2Sucks said:

Because he's the only one that you can count on to try to do what he says he'll do and he's very specific about what he wants to do. I have no reason to believe Biden is committed to doing anything other than focusing on foreign policy. I have no reason to believe Warren is committed to do anything other than regulate the financial industry, and Buttigieg is vague about what he actually stands for. The rest don't have enough support to matter.

And as for the what has he done, we've already gone over this before. Senators don't sponsor as much legislation as people think. I'm sure Biden has sponsored more than anyone else, but he's also been around way longer than anyone else.
Thanks for responding. I don't necessarily agree but now I understand your viewpoint better. I agree that he's been specific for a very long time about what he wants to do. If he wins, I would love to see him involve Warren because I think she could be helpful in pushing his legislative agenda.
dajo9

dajo9 said:

How is Joe Biden the most fiscally responsible when he's been in Congress during the biggest run-up of the debt and deficit? What's he ever done to try and reduce either?

The only thing that makes him fiscally responsible compared to the other candidates is he doesn't want to do much with a domestic agenda, so he doesn't have to explain how he's going to pay for all the things he doesn't want to do.
I think you answered your own question in your 2nd paragraph. But what has Biden ever done to increase the deficit?
Yogi14
Unit2Sucks said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Thanks for responding. I don't necessarily agree but now I understand your viewpoint better. I agree that he's been specific for a very long time about what he wants to do. If he wins, I would love to see him involve Warren because I think she could be helpful in pushing his legislative agenda.
And I'm still concerned about his age. If by some lucky stroke he wins the nomination, he needs to pick a much younger Vice President and one that is generally aligned with his platform because the odds of him making it through one term with good mental acuity are bad enough and two is wholly unrealistic. But still, he could pick O.J. Simpson as his Vice President and I'm still not voting for Trump.
Yogi14
dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

I think you answered your own question in your 2nd paragraph. But what has Biden ever done to increase the deficit?
Vote yes for two wars we couldn't afford? Talk about a fat pitch.
dajo9

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

That's a fair response but voting for the war after 9/11 was the right vote at the time.
Yogi14
dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

That's a fair response but voting for the war after 9/11 was the right vote at the time.
bearister
Trump and Impeachment - Get the facts on impeachment

https://trumpandimpeachment.com/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

And why I truly appreciated Bill Clinton's presidency (and a big reason why I was comfortable with Hillary despite her disingenuous pivot to identity politics at the end). I also appreciated Obama's presidency and his effort to govern all without vilifying half the country (despite the fact that he was more left center on fiscal policy than conservative).

I think Bloomberg is actually the most fiscally conservative candidate and the one I most align with. I could get around to Buttigieg but would need to get to understand his perspective more (not much to go by).
Yes, I suppose Bloomberg could be the most fiscally conservative. I was more thinking about the candidates who had any chance of winning.
bearister
....and just in from the At the End of the Day a Nation Gets the Government it Deserves Dept.:

These Michigan swing voters are just Trump voters now - Axios

https://www.axios.com/focus-group-michigan-swing-voters-trump-impeachment-183e4fc7-5ecc-41bd-add1-537ed8a2fd8f.html

" Their support for Trump will grow, they said, even if the country enters a recession or a full-blown trade war with China."

* I hereby formally apologize for being an elitist that insulted the intelligence of tRump's base.
Yogi14
bearister said:

....and just in from the At the End of the Day a Nation Gets the Government it Deserves Dept.:

These Michigan swing voters are just Trump voters now - Axios
Well, we'll just have to find other people who feel differently and defeat those fools.
B.A. Bearacus
Swalwell has been effective at distilling issues in plain language that even Republicans can understand.

bearister
Rightwing group pushes Wisconsin voter purge that 'could tip' 2020 election

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/18/wisconsin-rightwing-group-will-voter-purge?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cal88
dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Explanations for your statement above:

1-you ceased to be an adult between 2008 and 2016
2-you died in 2008, and were resurrected sometime after 2016
3-Obama was a Republican (which is kind of a plausible proposition, considering his policies)
4-you all full of ****e

Occam's razor says it's #4.
Cal88
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

The main item helping Bill Clinton tame the debt under his watch was "the peace dividend", in a period where the general public still had Vietnam fatigue, and after the collapse of the Soviet empire. GWB and his neocon bunch (which were still in charge under Obama) blew that budget up.

The figures above are much, much lower than the real total military spending in the last decade, which is larger by over 50%:

https://www.thenation.com/article/tom-dispatch-america-defense-budget-bigger-than-you-think/

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-military-budget-components-challenges-growth-3306320
AunBear89
So what you're saying is:

"I have no freaking clue what the difference is between the debt and the deficit! But I won't let it get in the way of telling people they don't know what they are talking about."
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.