2020 Election - Catch-all Thread

259,451 Views | 2434 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Unit2Sucks
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Uncle Joe's school bus only gives certain girls a ride"
GBear4Life
Nobody cares about busing. But KH has managed to covertly use it as a vehicle to virtue signal and disingenuously trash the leading candidate. Media and constituents, eager for new avenues to virtue signal, have jumped all over it thinking people won't realize they actually don't care about what they are saying.
dajo9
Nobody cares about virtue signaling
American Vermin
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Nobody cares about virtue signaling

Not entirely true, they care about it as a cheap way to "own the libs."
bearister

Faith and freedoms: why evangelicals profess unwavering love for Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/07/donald-trump-evangelical-supporters?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
Michael Bennett went yard a few times with Dana Perino on Fox News Sunday. Well done! tRump must be blowing an O ring that the Official Propaganda Arm of the tRump Administration allowed Bennett on.
Another Bear
Guy in funky sweater sure is giving the sideways eye to Daddy and daughter.
Anarchistbear
Eric Swalwell no longer sees "a path to the nomination." Shocking there is no path through msnbc conspiracy theories and gun confiscation. Pass the torch.

Meanwhile Tom Steyer sees a path and is in. His path is to drop a $100 million on his campaign. Good for the economy and rural America
sycasey
Did anyone except Eric Swalwell really think that Eric Swalwell had any chance of winning?
Anarchistbear
He's not likeable so probably not even his wife.

But Steyer has no chance either despite his cash. His whole thing seems to be impeachment which is a puny issue. Maybe he thinks with Biden faltering the center is his
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

Eh, he's likable enough to hold his Congressional seat for a long time. To make a run at the Presidency, though, more people need to know who the hell you are.
GBear4Life
If you're an ambitious congress person looking to increase your visibility, which may help you in your own reelection, a token 5 month-run for president seems like an expedient way to do so.
Unit2Sucks
Most presidential candidates are just looking to raise their profile in furtherance of their careers. Some will monetize it privately, some will expand their legislative influence and some will receive presidential appointments that they otherwise wouldn't have. And some, perhaps, are just looking to get air time for their pet issue.

Swalwell got in and got out efficiently and never had a reasonable expectation of making it to the convention. Hopefully most of the others will drop out soon to narrow the field to a reasonable group that the country can choose between.
bearister

Megan Rapinoe for president? USA star would beat Trump in 2020, poll finds

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/09/megan-rapinoe-donald-trump-2020-poll?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

OdontoBear66
bearister said:

Megan Rapinoe for president? USA star would beat Trump in 2020, poll finds

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/09/megan-rapinoe-donald-trump-2020-poll?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

She may need to add a year.
Yogi011
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Eh, he's likable enough to hold his Congressional seat for a long time. To make a run at the Presidency, though, more people need to know who the hell you are.
How many people knew who Bill Clinton was before he ran?
dajo9
BearNakedLadies said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

My stepmother worked for his campaigns in Arkansas. She was a very pretty, blonde, young woman and was alone with Bill Clinton on many occasions. Never anything inappropriate. She told me he should be the next President in 1989 give or take.
GBear4Life
Women liked Clinton, and Clinton liked some of them. Clinton's not a predator, he's guilty of nothing other than adultery.

And considering he was married to an ice pick, I don't really blame him.

The A&E 5-part series last year on his affair with Lewinsky was great.
sycasey
BearNakedLadies said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

The field wasn't as crowded in those days. I'd also argue that a governor generally has more name recognition than a House member who is not in leadership.
bearister
"Many of the most viral stories about the Democratic race are by conservative media, Axios' Neal Rothschild writes from exclusive NewsWhip data.

Why it matters: Stories about immigration, redistribution of wealth and the culture wars are painting Dems as radical leftists, and serve as testing grounds for attacks by President Trump.
What's going on: Over the past two weeks, most of the stories about the candidates leading our 2020 Attention Tracker interactions on Twitter (retweets, likes) and Facebook (comments, shares) came from conservatives.

Joe Biden: 2 of the top 5 articles (both Breitbart).
Kamala Harris: 4 of 5 (Fox News twice, Breitbart, The Federalist Papers).
Cory Booker: 4 of 5 (Fox News, The Federalist Papers, The Blaze, Daily Caller).
Julin Castro: 4 of 5 (Fox News, Washington Times twice, Breitbart).
Bernie Sanders: 3 of 5 (Fox Business, Breitbart, Fox News).
Elizabeth Warren: 1 of 5 (Daily Wire).
For Biden, Harris, Booker and Castro, their top story came from the right." Axios
bearister
"Swing voters in a focus group in Michigan praised President Trump on immigration a potential Republican strength in one of the states most likely to determine the 2020 winner, Axios' Alexi McCammond reports from Warren, Mich.

Why it matters: Trump won Michigan by less than half a percentage point, so keeping every voter on board is vital." Axios
bearister
"Dear Democrats: This is not complicated! Just nominate a decent, sane person, one committed to reunifying the country and creating more good jobs, a person who can gain the support of the independents, moderate Republicans and suburban women who abandoned Donald Trump in the midterms and thus swung the House of Representatives to the Democrats and could do the same for the presidency. And that candidate can win!
But please, spare me the revolution! It can wait. Win the presidency, hold the House and narrow the spread in the Senate, and a lot of good things still can be accomplished. "No," you say, "the left wants a revolution now!" O.K., I'll give the left a revolution now: four more years of Donald Trump.
That will be a revolution." Thomas Friedman, NY Times
Anarchistbear
So, the road to victory is to elect a moderate?. Dems need to get wiaf and Kelly back on their side. What does he think Clinton was?What bull$it. Friedman is way past his expiration date
bearister
Anarchistbear said:

So, the road to victory is to elect a moderate?. Dems need to get wiaf and Kelly back on their side. What does he think Clinton was?What bull$it. Friedman is way past his expiration date

Well, the proof will be in da pudd'in. My wager: If Biden gets the nomination, Dems take back America. If a Progressive gets the nomination, tRump wins easily.*

* A risky bet for me since if Biden wins the nomination, the Progressive crybabies won't vote.
sycasey
bearister said:

"Swing voters in a focus group in Michigan praised President Trump on immigration a potential Republican strength in one of the states most likely to determine the 2020 winner, Axios' Alexi McCammond reports from Warren, Mich.

Why it matters: Trump won Michigan by less than half a percentage point, so keeping every voter on board is vital." Axios
This poll could be reporting on something real . . . or maybe not.

BearNIt
The Idiot in Chief has decided to go with an Us vs Them campaign strategy to get his base out to again win Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Michigan. These are the states that he barely won in 2016 in some cases by less than 23,000 votes. The only problem with that strategy is that there is nothing more that will get will get the democratic base out then a racist President who wants to go back to the 1950s and earlier. THERE WILL BE RECORD VOTER REGISTRATION AND RECORD MINORITY TURNOUT in this next election in every state in these United States of America. His attacks on Hispanics will backfire as more Hispanics will come of voting age and demographics shift in the 4 states previously mentioned. Think of the numbers of Puerto Ricans that have moved from Puerto Rico to the above mentioned states and how the Idiot in Chief treated the people of Puerto Rico after the hurricane. (e.g. an estimated 270,000 Puerto Ricans left Puerto Rico since Maria) That treatment by the Idiot has not been forgotten. The immigration from Puerto Rico, the increase in Latino voter turnout which reached 11.7 million in 2018, up from 6.8 million in 2014, and the double digit increases in the percentage of Hispanics and other minority groups in 2018 for voter turnout, is a significant trend as minority groups become more engaged due to the treatment and rhetoric by the Idiot in Chief. How much more can the Idiot In Chief's base be increased and motivated to turn out? Almost every person of color has heard "Go back to where you came from", and the sting of those words is enough to motivate people who otherwise would not vote. Voter Registration efforts, Get Out To Vote efforts, and opposition to Republican efforts to deny the people the right to vote, will be key in the 2020 election.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essay/an-early-look-at-the-2020-electorate/

Anarchistbear
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

Well, the proof will be in da pudd'in. My wager: If Biden gets the nomination, Dems take back America. If a Progressive gets the nomination, tRump wins easily.*

* A risky bet for me since if Biden wins the nomination, the Progressive crybabies won't vote.

Biden is unelectable- a loser. The 2016 election was about the failure of the status quo and a rebuke of both parties. People were pissed and they still are.Now we're supposed to believe people yearn to return to this failed era but instead of having a charismatic young President to be led by a walking corpse. The issue in 2020
Isn't "national unity" or "decency" it's how do you improve our lives, make the system less rigged and have a government that is for its citizens not its money
OneKeg
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

I hear you bearister. At this point, anyone is better than Trump and the Dems need as many wins across the board (including at the Presidency) as possible.

But my pessimistic guess is that, barring an economic downturn,Trump probably wins regardless. He will do what he usually does, rally his base, change the conversation to be about areas that the two sides are fundamentally at odds (e.g. immigration) so that he can appear strong and forceful against an adversary, which is what the Republican base tends to respond to more than the Dem base does.

I do think Biden isn't a great candidate for the reasons that AnarchistBear (who I don't always agree with) outlined. And yes, if Trump beats Biden, it might also be because some progressive "crybabies" as you say stay home in the battleground states.

But why do you say Biden is so much more electable? Because if one of the others is nominated, the centrist "crybabies" stay home or run to Trump?

In other words, why is it the progressives that need to fall in line behind a centrist/status quo candidate like Biden (which I as a progressive will do) and not be crybabies - when you could just as easily say that it's the centrist/status quo Dems that need to fall in line behind a potential progressive Dem candidate and not be crybabies?

Edited to add:
We are in a desperate situation. We ALL need to fall in line and do what must be done in the general election. Everyone votes, no one quits.
dajo9
I'll just say if you put them on a Venn diagram, the people who would vote for Biden but wouldn't vote for Hillary and sexists would have a lot of overlap.
American Vermin
sycasey
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

The answer is that you need someone who does both: returns some of the Obama-Trump swing voters to the fold AND excites the base enough for them to turn out. That's basically always been the story of Presidential politics, only the positions favored by the swing voters and the base will shift over time.
OdontoBear66
dajo9 said:

BearNakedLadies said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

My stepmother worked for his campaigns in Arkansas. She was a very pretty, blonde, young woman and was alone with Bill Clinton on many occasions. Never anything inappropriate. She told me he should be the next President in 1989 give or take.
Must mean he is purer than a fresh Arkansas snow. Is that why Hillary has announced that she and Bill will be out of the country for Epsteins services following his upcoming suicide? Pelosi's daughter in the DNC said the day Epstein's place was raided: "Some of our favs are going down." Certainly not Bill.
Yogi011
bearister said:

"Dear Democrats: This is not complicated! Just nominate a decent, sane person, one committed to reunifying the country and creating more good jobs, a person who can gain the support of the independents, moderate Republicans and suburban women who abandoned Donald Trump in the midterms and thus swung the House of Representatives to the Democrats and could do the same for the presidency. And that candidate can win!
But please, spare me the revolution! It can wait. Win the presidency, hold the House and narrow the spread in the Senate, and a lot of good things still can be accomplished. "No," you say, "the left wants a revolution now!" O.K., I'll give the left a revolution now: four more years of Donald Trump.
That will be a revolution." Thomas Friedman, NY Times

Oh good god, STFU Friedman
Yogi011
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

The answer is that you need someone who does both: returns some of the Obama-Trump swing voters to the fold AND excites the base enough for them to turn out. That's basically always been the story of Presidential politics, only the positions favored by the swing voters and the base will shift over time.
Trump has returned those swing voters himself. That's what people don't get. His base is his base and it isn't growing.
bearister
As a born in the middle of the boom Baby Boomer, I view Progressives and tRumpists as different sides of the same coin. They both have the attitude: "Think like I do and do it my way or I'LLL EAT YOUR DINNER AND BURN YOUR F@CKING HOUSE DOWN!" My response to both is nope, not following your orders. I'll be waiting.

dajo9
Where are Mitch McConnell and Newt Gingrich on your "My way or the highway" spectrum?
American Vermin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.