Official Biden / Harris Administration Thread

59,285 Views | 898 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by bear2034
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AMAC: "Twitter Files" Reporter Matt Taibbi Uncovers Plot To Stop Trump, Democracy Be Damned

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2024

"In a second article published shortly after the TIP expos, Taibbi makes the case that Democrats' efforts to boot Trump off the ballot are merely the culmination of a decades-long willingness by Democrat elites to subvert democracy in order to consolidate their own political power."

"As he relays, Democrats employed lawfare back in 2004 to sink insurgent third-party candidate Ralph Nader, devoting millions in spurious lawsuits to keep him off the ballot in competitive states denying voters the basic right to choose their own leaders in the process."

https://amac.us/newsline/society/twitter-files-reporter-matt-taibbi-uncovers-plot-to-stop-trump-democracy-be-damned/
Lets Go Brandon 3
dajo9 said:

bear2034 said:

movielover said:

Two tiered justice.

L A W F A R E

E L E C T I O N I N T E F E R E N C E

I've been talking about the same frustration with Garland on these boards for years. Any American that supports accountability and law and order for rich and powerful people should be mad at Garland for slow walking justice on Traitor Trump.

bear2034

Yikes. Next batter up.

Unit2Sucks
Media badly doing everything it can to help Trump win because he was good for clicks.

These sorts of tweets raise a good point - where are all the tell-alls? Where are all the behind the scenes scoops on Biden's mental state? We saw tons of them with Trump. Is it because Biden did the unthinkable and hired professionals?

I posted about this a few days ago as well. If there were stories, the media would feverishly cover it, the way we're seeing with this ridiculous special counsel "report."

movielover
Go to 9:00 for Mumbles confusion.

bear2034

Putin endorses Biden for 2024. Isn't this election interference?
Lets Go Brandon 6
Democrats losing their marbles over Rashida Tlaib supporting the "Vote Uncommitted" movement in Michigan. Lots of good stuff in here about how many people are disgusted with Genocide Joe, including hard-core Dems.

movielover
Buying more votes.

Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

Buying more votes.

Your endorsement of the idea that all or most college students spent 4 years studying why white men are evil adds fuel to my suspicion that you never attended college.
oski003
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

movielover said:

Buying more votes.

Your endorsement of the idea that all or most college students spent 4 years studying why white men are evil adds fuel to my suspicion that you never attended college.

Four years is an exaggeration. It was only one year as of 2009. It moved to two years in 2021.
Zippergate
Nitpicking minutia is a common tactic of people who can't argue the facts.
sycasey
movielover said:

Buying more votes.

Does doing things to please your constituents now constitute "buying votes?"

If so, isn't every president (especially Trump) also guilty of the same?
oski003
sycasey said:

movielover said:

Buying more votes.

Giving people money certainly constitutes buying votes.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

movielover said:

Buying more votes.

Four years is an exaggeration. It was only one year as of 2009. It moved to two years in 2021.
That's not what DC Draino said and that's what movielover chose to repost.
oski003

oski003 said:

movielover said:

Buying more votes.

That's not what DC Draino said and that's what movielover chose to repost.

Yes, they were exaggerating!
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Buying more votes.

Forgiving debt isn't quite the same as "giving people money," but okay.

How does this differ from what every president does?
oski003
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Buying more votes.

Can you be more specific about how past presidents have forgiven billions of dollars in individual debts? I missed this in my modern history class.
calbear93
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Buying more votes.

Sorry, but that's exactly the same.
AunBear89
This is a semantics argument. You can choose language intend to inflame outrage: "just giving money away", or you can choose language to accurately convey what is happing: forgiving student loans.

We know that the garden variety conservative HATES when anyone gets anything from the government, other than relaxed regulations and corporate tax cuts, so they choose the Frank Luntzian phrasing, rather than plain English.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Zippergate
The only way forgiving debt and giving away money are meaningfully different is if there was no expectation that the debt will be repaid. This is obvious to everyone without a political agenda. If debt forgiveness is not free money, then allow the suckers who saved and scrimped to repay their loans the opportunity to take out a new loan and then forgive it. Allow the people who made the decision to forgo expensive student loans (i.e, went to cheaper schools, or passed on college altogether) the opportunity to take out a loan and then forgive it.

The student loan problem is so typical of the left's utter contempt for common sense and basic economics.

sycasey
AunBear89 said:

This is a semantics argument. You can choose language intend to inflame outrage: "just giving money away", or you can choose language to accurately convey what is happing: forgiving student loans.
This.

Again, regardless of how you choose to describe it, a president spending money on something that makes his base voters happy is hardly a novel occurrence. Why should it be considered "buying votes" when Biden does it? When Trump gave out Covid checks, was that the same thing?
AunBear89
Again: semantics. Try to keep up. Maybe take notes or attend a class.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Zippergate
As if that somehow gets you off the hook. As for Sycasey, who did the Covid checks go to? Who gets debt forgiveness? I'll give you some time to figure out the difference and what the ramifications are.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

AunBear89 said:

This.

Again, regardless of how you choose to describe it, a president spending money on something that makes his base voters happy is hardly a novel occurrence. Why should it be considered "buying votes" when Biden does it? When Trump gave out Covid checks, was that the same thing?

GOP prefers their giveaways in terms of tax cuts/breaks and industry "subsidies."

Was it buying votes when Trump gave $28B in direct payments to farmers?

This is why I have so many people on ignore. They are unserious people who would prefer no one have any substantive discussions because the modern MAGA conservatives always lose with substance. I get the desire to dunk on morons, and there are plenty of opportunities to do so here, so if that's the goal I'm all for it.
Zippergate
Unserious? Student loan borrowers AGREED TO REPAY their loans. They have a contractual obligation to do so and the Supreme Court has ruled that the President does not have the authority to forgive these loans. Hardly the same thing as the myriad of incentives, handouts and tax breaks both parties dole out on a regular basis.
oski003
Zippergate said:

Unserious? Student loan borrowers AGREED TO REPAY their loans. They have a contractual obligation to do so and the Supreme Court has ruled that the President does not have the authority to forgive these loans. Hardly the same thing as the myriad of incentives, handouts and tax breaks both parties dole out on a regular basis.

Instead of forgiving loans, they should have just tolled them without interest during the pandemic (or forgive all interest accumulated during the pandemic). That is a rational forgiveness of debt because of the circumstances of the pandemic as opposed to just giving people money...

Wait, the government already did that!
AunBear89
So basically you are moralizing. Frank Luntz had your type in his crosshairs 30 years ago. Righteous Righties everywhere.
sycasey
oski003 said:

Zippergate said:

Instead of forgiving loans, they should have just tolled them without interest during the pandemic (or forgive all interest accumulated during the pandemic). That is a rational forgiveness of debt because of the circumstances of the pandemic as opposed to just giving people money...

Wait, the government already did that!

I don't mind people disagreeing with the policy. I'm not sure I agree with it.

It just seems silly to describe this as "buying votes," unless you're also going to call out every politician who does something similar (which is just about all of them).
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

I don't mind people disagreeing with the policy. I'm not sure I agree with it.

It just seems silly to describe this as "buying votes," unless you're also going to call out every politician who does something similar (which is just about all of them).

This didn't happen in a vacuum. Obama took action to reign in the predatory private post secondary education industry which creates a disproportionate amount of these student loans. It's an awful industry and Obama was the first President to hold their feet to the fire. I'm not referring to Stanford, think Trump university and the like.

Of course, Trump brought in Betsy Devos and others who were in cahoots with the scam schools do they unwound the regulations.

The majority of the forgiven loans were for traditional programs but if the GOP had any interest in governing they could have done something to address the problem.

Instead of governing they are always focused first and foremost on tax cuts for the rich, followed by giveaways to their special interest donors and voters (farms, oil and gas subsidies).

And then the unserious people show up pushing talking points spoon fed to ignore real issues and obscure GOP chicanery.
movielover
Zippergate said:

Not to mention, why are low-wage service workers paying off college loans for future attorneys, business people, and trans activists?
movielover
Eight months before an election to shore up his approval rating with young voters / stoners.
dajo9
movielover said:

Zippergate said:

Not to mention, why are low-wage service workers paying off college loans for future attorneys, business people, and trans activists?

They virtually aren't. Low wage service workers don't pay any substantial portion of federal income taxes.
oski003
dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Zippergate said:

They virtually aren't. Low wage service workers don't pay any substantial portion of federal income taxes.

Do they pay sales taxes?
sycasey
movielover said:

Eight months before an election to shore up his approval rating with young voters / stoners.

A politician seeking reelection is doing stuff he thinks voters will like? Oh no.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Zippergate said:

Do they pay sales taxes?
Not to the federal government which is doing the student loans forgiving. Pretty lame attempt to move the goalposts, by the way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.