Official Biden / Harris Administration Thread

59,311 Views | 898 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by bear2034
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

Unit2Sucks said:

DiabloWags said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Sounds like the stimulus may have created a durable wage and lifestyle improvement for labor in this country.

Sadly, surging inflation and a CPI now at 8.5% have crushed all of these wage gains.
Food, fuel, and rents have decimated the hourly worker.

Why would you use CPI instead of PCE, which I believe you've argued is a better measure? PCE is 6.6%, still high but significantly lower than CPI.

According to RedFin, rents in the US jumped 14% in December 2021 to $1,877a month, the largest rise in more than two years. Austin, Texas had a 40% increase. NYC had a 35% increase. Several metro areas in Florida exceeded 30% rent increases.

I would suggest that these rent increases have dwarfed any wage gains.

In those specific locations, it would seem that the increases would dwarf wage gains. In places with rent control/stabilization, like San Francisco and Berkeley, the impact would be far more muted. A lot of the alarmist stories about SF real estate over the years ignores that most rental units are covered by rent control which protects tenants from large price increases. In SF the allowable rate for increase was 0.7% last year and 2.3% this year. I don't think that a 3% total rent increase over a 2 year period would dwarf wage gains.

Also lol to a statement that mentioned that something in December 2021 was the largest in more than 2 years. We all know what happened in the 2 preceding years.

I guess I understand your point is that PCE doesn't capture everything and you believe these other uncovered categories are crushing hourly workers. Do you think that these more volatile categories (which is why PCE excludes food and fuel) are not seeing temporary inflation and that PCE is the wrong tool for the situation we are in?
DiabloWags
Unit2sucks said:

I guess I understand your point is that PCE doesn't capture everything and you believe these other uncovered categories are crushing hourly workers. Do you think that these more volatile categories (which is why PCE excludes food and fuel) are not seeing temporary inflation and that PCE is the wrong tool for the situation we are in?

Dont get me wrong.
PCE is by far, the better inflation gauge.

CPI tends to overstate the rate of inflation it assumes people buy the same things in years one and two without accounting for substitution bias, which the broader measure PCE does.

To me, the poor and lower class get crushed by food and fuel. They usually have longer commutes as well.
Unit2Sucks
DiabloWags said:

Unit2sucks said:

Dont get me wrong.
PCE is by far, the better inflation gauge.

CPI tends to overstate the rate of inflation it assumes people buy the same things in years one and two without accounting for substitution bias, which the broader measure PCE does.

To me, the poor and lower class get crushed by food and fuel. They usually have longer commutes as well.

All fair points.
dajo9
Lots in this twitter thread I did not know. Biden cut Trump's deficit in half. Not from pandemic levels, but from pre-pandemic levels. Record number of full time jobs. Record GDP. Record wealth. Record personal disposable income.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
Another campaign promise fulfilled by Biden. He is getting Mexico to pay for that wall.

dajo9
Unit2Sucks said:

Another campaign promise fulfilled by Biden. He is getting Mexico to pay for that wall.

Hahaha haha. Trump sucks at everything.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
BearForce2

Without Covid, a fully conscious Brandon killed 10 civilians in Afghanistan.
Unit2Sucks
1.5 years in and Biden is doing both better and worse than expected. He's inked a lot of legislation that will pay dividends down the road but inflation and COVID have been persistent problems. The legislative victories show that his experience reaching across the aisle has paid off to some extent. This is probably more legislative success than we've seen since Clinton era when the partisanship wasn't quite so bad.

Unit2Sucks

BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearForce2 said:

Somehow I'm not surprised that you're pro tax fraud. Pay your taxes properly and having more IRS agents won't be a problem for you.
BearForce2
Unit2Sucks said:

Starting a thread to cover the goings on of the Biden / Harris presidential administration.

If Trump and the Republicans are successful quashing the will of the people and preventing democratic votes from counting, this will be a short thread and Ivanka Trump will run on a MAGA (THIS TIME IT'S REAL) platform in 2024.

If Biden is impeached and removed from office, I will re-name this thread.

The FBI raid is the defining moment of Biden's presidency - Matt Gaetz
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Unit2Sucks
In addition to the withdrawal from Afghanistan, Biden has massively reduced our drone strike campaigns.

Quote:

Our infamous drone war has largely faded from the headlines. Aside from one strike that went horribly wrong during the U.S. evacuation from Afghanistan, there has been vanishingly little coverage of what's going on with the signature American tactic of the war on terror: remote-controlled death robots.

So I was rather taken aback to discover President Biden has almost totally halted drone strikes, and airstrikes in general, around the world. It's a remarkable foreign policy reform, but also a remarkable failure of both government communication and media coverage. A hugely significant change in foreign policy has happened and almost nobody is paying attention.

To my considerable surprise, Biden seems to have internalized some of these lessons. Immediately after taking office, he set up a new system requiring White House approval for any strikes outside of active war zones (and later published Trump's loose rules that enabled so many civilian massacres). Now that the occupation of Afghanistan is over, that requirement applies almost everywhere, and it appears Biden is extremely reluctant to grant approval. Where Trump oversaw more than 1,600 air and artillery strikes in Iraq and Syria during his first 11 months in office, Airwars reports just four during Biden's term so far. Strikes in Somalia fell from roughly 75 last year to fewer than 10 this year, with no civilian casualties. And in Yemen, the annual total dropped from about 18 to maybe four, with fewer than 10 casualties of any kind. (Precise figures are unclear because some strikes are classified.)

That's a major shift and this is probably the first you've heard of it.

Unit2Sucks
Unit2Sucks
Thanks GOP!

dajo9
Unit2Sucks said:

Thanks GOP!

It's Morning in America (if the Fed doesn't screw it up)
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
I didn't have a good place to post this so figured here is as good as any. This isn't partisan at all but thought I would post because it's entertaining. Some are really terrible but most are pretty good. Not sure which AI generated these but shows how far we've come.

Unit2Sucks
Media enabling GOP shenanigans but nice to see Biden shut it down. Now he just needs to do the right thing and once and for all end the fake debt ceiling.

Lawrence Tribe talks about it here but he's far from the only one and the Biden admin is ultimately going to invoke it rather than sign a dumb compromise with GOP terrorists.

MinotStateBeav

So many LLCs from the Bidens to hide influence payments!
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

The Trump Organization reportedly has over 500 entities. Are those solely to hide influence payments?

Most of these "Biden" LLCs appear related to Rosemont Seneca an investment advisory firm that Hunter was involved in. This is pretty typical stuff.

Hunter is obviously a dirtbag and I have no doubt he was monetizing his closeness to the seat of power, the same way that everyone in Trump's family and orbit has done (look at Corey Lewandowski or Jared Kushner for just a few examples). Same thing we saw from Roger Clinton, Billy Carter, the Bushes and on and on.

But the existence of LLCs or people paying Hunter isn't even remotely a scandal. This is garden variety stuff that congress could easily stop if it ever decided to but they never have. On his way out of office, Trump rescinded the already pathetically weak limits that had been imposed by executive order on lobbying.
BearHunter
MinotStateBeav said:

The calm before the storm....
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearHunter said:

MinotStateBeav said:

What happened to last week's storm? Or the one 2 weeks before that? Or the 87 others in the last 3 or 4 years?

You guys constantly crow about how the end of <insert prominent Democrat here> is just around the corner. It never happens. You don't even wipe the egg off your face, you just issue the next storm warning.
dajo9
Unit2Sucks said:

Media enabling GOP shenanigans but nice to see Biden shut it down. Now he just needs to do the right thing and once and for all end the fake debt ceiling.

Lawrence Tribe talks about it here but he's far from the only one and the Biden admin is ultimately going to invoke it rather than sign a dumb compromise with GOP terrorists.

That's as good as I've seen from a President in a press conference. More of that, please.
American Vermin
BearHunter

Biden mishandled classified documents and nothing ever happened.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearHunter said:

Biden mishandled classified documents and nothing ever happened.
Who said the Biden investigation was over?
BearHunter
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

BearHunter said:

MinotStateBeav said:

What happened to last week's storm? Or the one 2 weeks before that? Or the 87 others in the last 3 or 4 years?

You guys constantly crow about how the end of <insert prominent Democrat here> is just around the corner. It never happens. You don't even wipe the egg off your face, you just issue the next storm warning.

Which storm are you referring to?
calpoly
BearHunter said:

BearHunter said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Are you really that stupid to believe this tweet?
BearHunter
calpoly said:

BearHunter said:

BearHunter said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Are you really that stupid to believe this tweet?
I'm so sorry this is happening to you.
BearHunter

The Biden crime family.
Hunter is the money bag man.
Joe is the Big Guy.

It's a tight knit family. Hunter loves his sister in law deeply while Ashley has fond memories of showering with the Big Guy 10% of the time.
Unit2Sucks
Another big win for the Biden administration and promise delivered.

When the GOP blocked him from doing it legislatively and he was attacked by impractical progressives for averting a disastrous strike, his team never stopped working toward the goal. This is the sort of responsible governance we need and deserve and which we all know wouldn't ever happen with TFG in the white house.

Cal88
Cal88
Cal88
President Biden honors groundbreaking Asian American Shangah Kwawah

BearHunter
Congratulations to the one and only, Shangah Kwawah.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.