The Town has major trouble

70,276 Views | 973 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by movielover
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Homicide victim families demand recall of DA Pamela Price

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/08/20/courts/homicide-victim-families-demand-recall-da-pamela-price/

"Price "punched them in the gut," Ford said, of Jarin's family. "She's doing what she said she was going to do: releasing killers."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
A masked man broke a woman's car window to steal her bag while she waited at a red light Saturday afternoon in North Berkeley, according to community and police reports.
The incident took place on Sacramento Street near Rose Street at about 1:15 p.m.
A witness who saw what happened described the harrowing scene to The Berkeley Scanner and asked to remain anonymous.
"I have never heard of anything like this before in Berkeley," the longtime resident said. "It was really terrible."

Robberies are up in Berkeley this year
Accounts of people burglarizing occupied vehicles at stop lights have been cropping up on Bay Area social media feeds this year, but it has not been common in Berkeley.
Earlier this month, a man broke a woman's driver's side window on Domingo Avenue in the Claremont neighborhood to steal her bag from around her neck.
The woman put up a struggle but the man was able to make off with the bag in a getaway car, authorities said previously.
Last weekend, a woman was robbed at gunpoint in North Berkeley near Hopkins Street and Albina Avenue, not far from Saturday's robbery.

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/08/21/crime/man-breaks-window-robs-woman-north-berkeley-red-light/
BearHunter
oski003
Dicks Sporting Goods stock 20% down today as they fall short of earnings. Large increase in shoplifting has led to inventory losses.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dicks-sporting-goods-stock-slammed-premarket-after-earnings-miss-by-a-wide-margin-amid-uptick-in-shoplifting-ba671906?siteid=mw_robin&mod=mw_RHF
82gradDLSdad
oski003 said:

Dicks Sporting Goods stock 20% down today as they fall short of earnings. Large increase in shoplifting has led to inventory losses.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dicks-sporting-goods-stock-slammed-premarket-after-earnings-miss-by-a-wide-margin-amid-uptick-in-shoplifting-ba671906?siteid=mw_robin&mod=mw_RHF

Macy's CEO saying this exact same thing on CNBC right now.
82gradDLSdad
82gradDLSdad said:

oski003 said:

Macy's CEO saying this exact same thing on CNBC right now.

Either they are covering their asses (possible) or it just may be a big problem (likely). BTW, they just "lost" the feed with the CEO right after he said this.
bearister
British tabs getting in on the act. I like the way they call the body of water between Oakland and SF a river.

Video shows woman being violently dragged during robbery in Oakland

https://mol.im/a/12432651
dimitrig

I shop Macys regularly. Old habits die hard.

The issue is less with shoplifting and more with lack of sales. Often the store is a ghost town.

bearister
Attempted armed carjacking in the Berkeley Hills

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/08/22/crime/berkeley-hills-carjacking-attempt/
82gradDLSdad
dimitrig said:

I shop Macys regularly. Old habits die hard.

The issue is less with shoplifting and more with lack of sales. Often the store is a ghost town.

I don't know how much theft is playing a role in this but CNBC, a pretty neutral agency, is devoting daily coverage to retail analysts that discuss how bad the theft is getting on how widespread the hurt is. Besides online stores in general, the pricing of some of their goods is ridiculous. Wonder who their suppliers are?
bearister
Pak Ho verdict: 1 found guilty of murder, 1 not guilty

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/08/23/courts/pak-ho-verdict-1-guilty-murder-driver-found-not-guilty/
Cal88
Any news on the Pak Four survivors verdict today?
bearister
Too soon?
Kamala Harris Cackling
Cal88 said:

Any news on the Pak Four survivors verdict today?
They were ruled incompetent to stand trial
Cal88
bearister said:

Too soon?

Not for long-suffering Cal fans standing on the ledge and looking into the abyss,,,
bearister
Berkeley driver blocked by armed robbers who took Rolex

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/08/24/crime/berkeley-armed-robbery-rolex-driver-blocked/
bearister

https://abc7news.com/east-bay-mother-devastated-after-sons-teen-killer-strikes-plea-deal/13696705/
BearHunter

What is going on here? Was SFPD setting a trap for thieves?
bearister
What a Week: A 'disappointing' plea deal Family laments prosecutors' offer to defendant in Livermore woman's death | News | PleasantonWeekly.com |

https://www.pleasantonweekly.com/news/2023/08/17/what-a-week-a-disappointing-plea-deal--family-laments-prosecutors-offer-to-defendant-in-livermore-womans-death

The judge rejected the plea.

bearister
Advocate says Price campaign has used false narratives, intimidation to combat recall

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/08/26/courts/advocate-says-price-campaign-false-narratives-intimidation-tactics-combat-recall/
going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
bearister
My prediction:

Recall will either never get off ground because of lack of signatures or lose at ballot box. It is also unjust. Madame DA said she was going to blow up the system, "fire all the motherf@ucks" (which is why Deputy DA's joined Teamsters), drop gun and gang enhancements, etc. which is exactly what she is doing.

The real minefields are budget overruns, mismanagement, scandals and adverse verdicts in federal court trials relating to breach of the collective bargaining agreement. The nepotism charge standing alone is a nothing burger.
sycasey
going4roses said:

Sounds like a lot of the same arguments offered by those who opposed the SF school board and DA recalls.
bearister
Madame DA also has said the term "boyfriend" is racist. That, my friend, is what they call a "stretch." It is also a diversion of tRumpian proportion….but the voters crying about recalling her remind me of Brits crying about Brexit.

Here is a unique concept: How about educating yourself on the candidate and the issues before voting?

This article was available in 2018. Read it and understand how her current conduct was entirely predictable:

District Attorney Candidate Accused of Exploitation | East Bay Express | Oakland, Berkeley & Alameda

https://eastbayexpress.com/district-attorney-candidate-accused-of-exploitation-2-1/

" In fact, in a recent interview, Abuslin accused Price of exploiting her and acting out of greed. Abuslin said Price and Bonner even got her family to sign over intellectual property rights to her story.

She also alleges that Price held her incommunicado for several weeks in 2016 at a remote Lake County home owned by Bonner that was guarded by armed private security officers. Abuslin's parents say they were told by Price and the security guards to stay away. Abuslin's cellphone also went missing while in Price's possession, so she couldn't contact her family.

Later, Price and Bonner filed at least $114 million in legal claims against several Bay Area police departments. But Abuslin said she wasn't fully consulted about these legal actions and wasn't certain she wanted the lawsuits to move forward.

….. "I remember talking movie and book deals at the first meeting," said Jasmine Abuslin in a recent interview, referring to her earliest meetings with Price and Bonner. "I found it funny that it was so quick. I was like, 'Damn, can we get me out of jail first?'"

…. Abuslin…. "Greedy lawyers were trying to squeeze money out of this," she said."
oski003
This is not the Onion:

CHICAGO COMMUNITY GROUP ASKS GANG MEMBERS TO KINDLY QUIT SHOOTING EACH OTHER BETWEEN 9AM AND 9PM

https://www.outkick.com/chicago-community-group-asks-gang-members-to-kindly-quit-shooting-each-other-between-9am-and-9pm/?fbclid=IwAR1nGXqnB0k14OH0bgqyim65T9a-pCY2KAo5Kc-tc7kzOGs4DHnKZOxFSrs#:~:text=If%20we%20can%27t%20stop,9%20a.m.%20to%209%20p.m
going4roses
Ughhh going from bad to worse…

bearister

going4roses
Social media is a double edge sword. The American human was not mature enough to handle it
going4roses
bearister
Tip: If someone feels this way, move to Texas or Idaho. The Bay Area seems like a bad fit for you….or I suppose you could move Lassen, Modoc or Orange counties.
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

Tip: If someone feels this way, move to Texas or Idaho. The Bay Area seems like a bad fit for you….or I suppose you could move Lassen, Modoc or Orange counties.

This is a good point, bearister. Just move.
oski003
82gradDLSdad said:

bearister said:

I agree but is this online racism really happening locally? Aren't there just vocal racists online scattered amongst the 8 billion people in the world?
going4roses
82gradDLSdad
oski003 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bearister said:

I agree but is this online racism really happening locally? Aren't there just vocal racists online scattered amongst the 8 billion people in the world?

Move to where you think you'll be happy or be happy no matter where you end up. Either way, be happy. My one recent anecdote about people's biases in different areas of the world happened over July 4th in Gearhart Oregon. My wife and I commented on some lovely rainbow chalk art on the streets done by a little girl. My wife said, just to be friendly, we know all about rainbows we are from the SF Bay Area. The young girl's grandma behind her said in a snide way, it's not that type of rainbow. I'm pretty sure we would have received a different response in most areas of the Bay Area. I'm sure Grandma was more happy in Gearhart than she would have been in the Castro.
dimitrig
82gradDLSdad said:

oski003 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

bearister said:

Move to where you think you'll be happy or be happy no matter where you end up. Either way, be happy. My one recent anecdote about people's biases in different areas of the world happened over July 4th in Gearhart Oregon. My wife and I commented on some lovely rainbow chalk art on the streets done by a little girl. My wife said, just to be friendly, we know all about rainbows we are from the SF Bay Area. The young girl's grandma behind her said in a snide way, it's not that type of rainbow. I'm pretty sure we would have received a different response in most areas of the Bay Area. I'm sure Grandma was more happy in Gearhart than she would have been in the Castro.

I wonder what that grandma will think when the little girl later identifies as LGBTQ.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.