The Town has major trouble

70,255 Views | 973 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by movielover
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

going4roses said:

Side note:

One thing I notice now in Oakland is the amount of vehicles parked on streets that should have been towed away years ago years ? Yes YEARS ago they have been sitting since 2020-2021 in my area. Back in the day A&B towing snatched up everything and anything now not at all. Not to mention the non functional vehicles people are living in. Now tow companies leave abandoned vehicles because they clearly know nobody's coming to pay and pick up something broke down with hella parking tickets on it. Hell we are so over populated in this part of Oakland at night car regularly part across driveways on sidewalks or in the red. That's what happens when you have 12 people living in 2 bed apt.

It is like this in Los Angeles as well. California cities don't know what to do about the massive homeless problem. There are multiple streets near my work and some not too far from my home where many folks live in their cars and create a trash city on the sidewalk. I am pretty sure the black guy on a bike who broke into a few cars in front of my work rode in from an encampment a few blocks away. Their are folks riding bikes all over the place looking to steal from cars and other opportunities.

I don't know about Oakland, but in LA they stopped impounding vehicles because the lots filled up. They ultimately can take them to a wrecker but there are even fewer of those.

What I don't understand is where all of these broken down vehicle and RVs are coming from and how they are getting here if they don't even run. That's where the problem needs to be addressed.

I parked my car in front of my own house with expired registration and it was towed, but someone can park an RV on the street for a year and nothing is done about it.

going4roses
It's all good you are straight lol
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
going4roses
Years !!!!!

I knew the RV thing was an issue when I saw a broke down one parked in front of the Hells Angels clubhouse lol it was only there for a couple hours
oski003
going4roses said:

Are you in Oakland or LA ?

L.A.
bearister
oski003 said:

going4roses said:

Are you in Oakland or LA ?

L.A.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
bearister
The clock to recall DA Pamela Price starts now

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/09/28/courts/pamela-price-recall-starts-now/
bearister
Carjacking attempt at UC president's home in Berkeley

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/09/28/uc-berkeley-crime/berkeley-carjacking-attempt-uc-presidents-home/
dimitrig
bearister said:

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/09/28/uc-berkeley-crime/berkeley-carjacking-attempt-uc-presidents-home/

The security guard had his gun in the trunk of the car that was almost stolen.

That is how legal guns become illegal guns and why a proliferation of legal guns is a problem.

going4roses
Something fishy is going on.

Are bank robberies up ? Are attempted bank robberies up ?
This is where the money is no ? A 20 pound bad of cosmetics and hair products for who to by wholesale for $ ??? something is not adding up???
oski003
going4roses said:

This is where the money is no ? A 20 pound bad of cosmetics and hair products for who to by wholesale for $ ??? something is not adding up???

Banks are hard to rob and have incredible, expensive security systems. They make money by managing and keeping money safe. Thieves are picking lower hanging fruit.
dimitrig
oski003 said:

going4roses said:

Banks are hard to rob and have incredible, expensive security systems. They make money by managing and keeping money safe. Thieves are picking lower hanging fruit.

The thieves in these smash and grabs are mostly after cash and items that can be easily fenced. They aren't stealing nail clippers and hand lotion.

Stores and restaurants are increasingly refusing to accept cash for purchases and it's not a bad idea. I think that would help a lot.

82gradDLSdad
The little online shopping I do I've noticed a few places where similarly named items have incredible price differences. A place called Temu is one of them. I'm sure, seconds, older inventory, etc. plays a role but maybe some of these places get goods from questionable suppliers.
#earlymorningspiffballing
tequila4kapp
going4roses said:

Bank robberies will get you arrested and result in jail time. Car jackings are freebies, as are most retail thefts. Most criminals may be bad people but they are not necessarily stupid.
tequila4kapp
dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

going4roses said:

The thieves in these smash and grabs are mostly after cash and items that can be easily fenced. They aren't stealing nail clippers and hand lotion.

Stores and restaurants are increasingly refusing to accept cash for purchases and it's not a bad idea. I think that would help a lot.
I don't understand how that helps stores. Much/most of the theft is of retail items, not cash.
going4roses
When I see pictures of a garbage bag full of shampoo there is absolutely no money in that which leads to why ? And even more so who Wants this to happen who is capitalizing ?

Something is not adding up

So banks/$$$$$ are more important than people ? Is that what's really at work?
bearister
bearister
tequila4kapp said:

going4roses said:

Bank robberies will get you arrested and result in jail time. Car jackings are freebies, as are most retail thefts. Most criminals may be bad people but they are not necessarily stupid.

Most bank robberies are prosecuted in federal court because of FDIC coverage. If you are a crook, federal court should be at the bottom of your list of where you want to end up. They don't f@uck around there. There is something about having a lifetime appointment to the bench that puts starch in your robe. Federal judges are like the Wizard of Oz up there on their elevated benches.

Big C

^^^ Exactly, bearister, and this is why I always advise my friends to just stick to a little light bipping. I mean, okay sure, you're never going to get rich, but at least there's no downside... and that's an important consideration!
tequila4kapp
going4roses said:

When I see pictures of a garbage bag full of shampoo there is absolutely no money in that which leads to why ? And even more so who Wants this to happen who is capitalizing ?

My opinion is the theft dynamic has changed. IIRC SF (or was it other cities) stopped prosecuting for theft under $500. So people don't need to be criminal masterminds, they can just do a high volume of lower revenue thefts. If you steal $75 worth of toiletries and turn it into $20 that's a meal or a hit on your drug of choice. Repeat daily without concern.
BearHunter
Just 3% of San Francisco Restaurants Say They Were Not Victims of Vandalism or Property Crime in the LAST MONTH.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/restaurants/article/sf-graffiti-vandalism-crime-18387993.php

bearister
Pretty sure no one is spending the spoils of crime on a meal when food is free.
bearister
Why didn't Berkeley apply for state retail theft grant?

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/09/29/policing/berkeley-retail-theft-grant/
oski003
going4roses said:

The problem may lie in your racist anti-cop echochamber.
heartofthebear
bearister said:

A few weeks ago Madame DA tried to have Cal Bear Emilie Raguso (Berkeley Scanner) physically removed from a press conference* until one of her "Team"* told her that was illegal.

*"Team member" means a new hire that is a political hack with no prosecutorial background and who has never tried a case, civil or criminal, in their career and never will.

*Oakland voted for Madame DA Price and not for Terry Wiley. She is doing exactly what she said she would do, "Fire all the mother f@ucks" and basically burn one of the best and most respected DA's offices in the country to the ground. Citizens get the government they deserve. They are basically campaign ads.

*Madame DA no longer appears live with regard to Breaking News issues, instead disseminating to the media pre-produced messages with the stock law library bookshelf behind her….something never seen in these parts before to my knowledge. On the other hand, Cal Bear Brooke Jenkins is live in front of the media several times a week.
Wasn't that the one where there really was a mistake in the counting and Wiley actually had won?
Or was that another race in Oakland. I'm pretty sure it was an Oakland election. This was the last election in 2022.
bearister
I don't think there were allegations of impropriety, let's just say the Alameda County election machinery isn't exactly the gold standard.

After fumbled election, new watchdog will oversee Alameda County registrar

https://oaklandside.org/2023/06/07/new-election-commission-alameda-county-voting-ranked-choice/

Price overtakes Wiley in latest district attorney election update | News | PleasantonWeekly.com |

https://www.pleasantonweekly.com/news/2022/11/15/price-overtakes-wiley-in-latest-district-attorney-election-update
heartofthebear
bearister said:

I don't think there were allegations of impropriety, let's just say the Alameda County election machinery isn't exactly the gold standard.

After fumbled election, new watchdog will oversee Alameda County registrar

https://oaklandside.org/2023/06/07/new-election-commission-alameda-county-voting-ranked-choice/

Price overtakes Wiley in latest district attorney election update | News | PleasantonWeekly.com |

https://www.pleasantonweekly.com/news/2022/11/15/price-overtakes-wiley-in-latest-district-attorney-election-update
I understand but didn't Wiley actually get more votes? Am I wrong? It's just kind of crazy how much of this could have been avoided had the elections office simply done their job correctly. That's my point...assuming Price is really the main problem.
going4roses

I suspect this is exactly what is taking place in the Bay Area
bearister
bearister
Gunfire amid Berkeley robbery; man arrested with ghost gun

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/10/02/shootings/berkeley-shooting-robbery-ghost-gun/

Same suspect:

Felon Arrested After High-Speed Chase Along Highway 101 In Sonoma, Marin County - CBS San Francisco

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/felon-arrested-after-high-speed-chase-along-highway-101-in-sonoma-marin-county/

* This is what I call the revolving door criminal justice system. I have been told that in the East Bay the same 1000 to 1200 people virtually commit 90% of the crime and law enforcement knows the names of every one of them. Yes, righting societal wrongs on the front end and having a true rehabilitation system on the other end is the key to a long term solution of the crime problem.

The revolving door of the criminal Justice system is exacerbating the problem, not helping it. It is not one of the solutions.

My, God, man, look at this guy's history and tell me that the system didn't make a reservation for his mother's murder years in advance:

Berkeley Hills murder suspect Jonah Roper has dark past

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/09/26/courts/berkeley-hills-homicide-jonah-roper-maura-ghizzoni/

Jonah Roper refused to come to court; arraignment put off

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/09/30/courts/jonah-roper-berkeley-hills-arraignment-refused/

*His mother took a different route than many parents take. She continually covered for him and her repayment: a painful and fatal windmill stabbing by her son.

Other parents call the cops when their child threatens them with a weapon. The cops come, ask the child to drop the weapon, then fatally shoot them when they charge. These parents get a twofer: they are now short one homicidal child; and the City writes them a check for several million dollars for a wrongful shooting.

bearister
going4roses
Why wasn't this enforcement being executed all along ? I noticed the arrests were way down vs last year
dimitrig
going4roses said:

Why wasn't this enforcement being executed all along ? I noticed the arrests were way down vs last year

The cynic in me says police let crime get out of control so that we need to hire more police.

Sort of the same way that anti-malware companies probably write all the computer viruses and drug companies create new diseases in Chinese labs.

going4roses
It just takes 1 lol
Cal88
bearister said:

Quote:

These security breaches prompted the Board of Regents to consider moving Drake out of his $6.5 million Julia Morgan-designed home in one of Berkeley's most upscale neighborhoods to a $13 million home in Piedmont.

The regents voted earlier this month not to move Drake, even though the money would have come from private donors and not the public, according to the Los Angeles Times.

I don't think any private donor had moving the UC president to a bigger mansion as a high priority in making their donation...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.