The Town has major trouble

70,291 Views | 973 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by movielover
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She is already a star. She is the best crime journalist in the Bay Area by an exponential factor.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
Figured as much … falling under her umbrella
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
bear2034
bearister said:

She is already a star. She is the best crime journalist in the Bay Area by an exponential factor.
I like Emilie Raguso. She frequently responded to comments before Berkeleyside cracked down on their comments section.
bear2034
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Cal Bear Emilie Raguso barred by Madame DA from a press conference. Smacks of a 1st Amendment violation to me.

I will post Emilie's Berkeley Scanner story that I assume she will pen.
Ideology aside, this all just demonstrates that Price is bad at her job. How can her team not see that this move is going to create more trouble than it's worth? Just an awful read of the politics; they are making a star out of the person they tried to freeze out.

Or maybe Pamela Price is just doing what her real boss, George Soros, told her to do?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Billionaire-George-Soros-funding-heats-up-12947696.php
going4roses
Why ?
bear2034
going4roses said:

Why ?
Good question. Who benefits from the chaos?
tequila4kapp
bear2034 said:

going4roses said:

Why ?
Good question. Who benefits from the chaos?
Isn't it obvious?

Eliminating systemic racism within the justice system. There isn't chaos...just isolated instances of rare problems that happen because we don't have adequate services to help segments of society left behind by evil right wing policies. Any rare instances of problems are a small price to pay for racial equity. All is well in the world...
going4roses
Hmm…
bearister
First Amendment groups ding Alameda County DA's office for violating press freedoms

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/12/01/editors-desk/pamela-price-alameda-county-das-office-first-amendment/

"In their letter, the First Amendment Coalition, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and SPJ NorCal wrote that "the First Amendment prohibits the government from arbitrarily excluding specific reporters from access to press conferences or other facilities or materials generally open to the media," in part because "the government cannot be 'allowed to affect the content or tenor of the news by choreographing which news organizations have access to relevant information.'"

They also asked the DA's office for "a public commitment by your office that going forward, all members of the press will receive equal access to press releases and any other general announcements as well as equal opportunity to attend any events generally open to the media."

DA Pamela Price's office blocked reporter from news conference

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/pamela-price-reporter-18525641.php
going4roses

No DA can fix the societal issues
Chapman_is_Gone

Fuc king tik tok drama queen.
tequila4kapp
I have commented before elsewhere that for some of us the official statistics about how great the economy is doing are simply not reflective of our daily reality. It is not a partisan take. Something is off and it is really frustrating and perplexing.
Cal88
going4roses said:

No DA can fix the societal issues

It's definitely true that there are some huge economic issues today that are resulting in economic hardship for the working class and middle class, however the problem of crime lies in deeper societal and cultural issues that are not necessarily related to economic factors, such as the dissolution of family structures and the rate of children raised in fatherless homes. You have many countries around the world where people face far more poverty yet don't have anywhere near the level of crime.
Cal88
bearister

bearister

*An oversight? When everyone knows that is demonstrably untrue (she tried to have Emilie physically removed from a press conference in March until cooler heads prevailed).

In this instance the county would be facing 1st Amendment violation litigation. I can't believe under that set of facts that you are not better off simply stating that Emilie/Berkeley Scanner will be allowed to attend future media events and leave it at that since the reason for changing course is obvious.

This amateur hour administration has finally run its course and needs to come to an end.
bearister
Alameda County DA restores Berkeley Scanner press access

https://www.berkeleyscanner.com/2023/12/03/editors-desk/alameda-county-da-pamela-price-berkeley-scanner-press-access/

"According to the statement, the DA's office (DAO) has been in the process of updating its media list, which was "modified and reduced to a limited number of news outlets" over the summer, the result of staff transitions.

"Miss Raguso, among others, including the Bay City News Service, was not included in the updated media list, an oversight now being corrected," the DA's office wrote.

The assertion that The Scanner's exclusion was an oversight is questionable, however.

Price's office and staunch supporters have taken issue with The Scanner since it published an expose in February that surfaced broad criticism of Price from many of her new employees, including veteran prosecutors and other longtime DA's office staff.

Since then, the office has declined all requests for interviews with The Scanner."

dajo9
US retail lobby admits it has been lying about retail theft
https://www.threads.net/@reuters/post/C0fyOhgRNpX/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
going4roses
I'm seeing clips of people in Walmart getting over charged for meat, package label says a price that is 2 lbs heavier than the actual weight

Smh if it's true how much $$$ as been stolen
bearister
Well, our country is jammed pack with attorneys salivating to pick up a few million in statutory legal fees so you can rest assured a class action will be filed on that.
bearister
dajo9 said:

Lying about that is not good…..but whatever the real figure is it is driving businesses in the Bay Area to shutter.
dajo9
bearister said:

dajo9 said:

Lying about that is not good…..but whatever the real figure is it is driving businesses in the Bay Area to shutter.
Don't be so sure. "Chains are using theft to mask other issues"
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/business/crime-spree-retailers-are-actually-overstating-the-extent-of-theft-report-says/index.html
going4roses
bearister said:

dajo9 said:

Not enough wealthy people to support them there is no more middle class it's the haves and have nots … but a group of people have been preaching this since late 1800's-early 1900's

Side note this disparity in wealth is what is adding to the NIL stuff imo
going4roses
Yes Walmart is cheating got two packs of chicken both labeled at weight that scale at check out did not match I was not in the mood to be going off they are scandalous
bearister
I posted this on Football Board today:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing-new-college-athletics-subdivision-rooted-in-direct-athlete-compensation-145051537.html
bearister
Contact a consumer advocate attorney. Potential class action.
bearister
Oakland 2023: The Year in Review - Beyond Chron

https://beyondchron.org/oakland-2023-the-year-in-review/
dimitrig
going4roses said:

Yes Walmart is cheating got two packs of chicken both labeled at weight that scale at check out did not match I was not in the mood to be going off they are scandalous

I buy cat litter in 40 pound bags. I use half at a time. I used to eyeball it, but my bathroom scale is right near where I keep the litter so now I weigh out roughly half of it so that it is more even than I can judge by sight or feel. Usually the bags are either right at 40 pounds or even sometimes slightly more. Lately they are weighing 34 or 36 pounds. The bag still says 40 pounds on it. Am I going to sue over that? Probably not and that it is likely what the manufacturer is counting on.
smh
going4roses said:

thanks for the headsup. bottom line.. don't go there (we don't)
going4roses
Do to my disability not a lot of options lol I gotta do the best I can
Cal88

This shop at 9th and Franklin was robbed by individuals wielding semi-automatic firearms in late November.

One employee told me they need more police in the area. OPD has been transparent in saying there are challenges of patrolling every Oakland neighborhood.

Chinatown & surrounding area has seen robberies up 46% from 11/27-12/3 year-to-date. But data show burglaries are flat & larceny down 39%.

How can that be?

One business owner, Carol Liao, tells me sometimes there are "7, 8, 10" stores get broken into or burglarized in one night!

Carl Chan of the Chinatown Chamber Foundation says it's partially due to underreporting. " ' ."

He encourages victims to come forward so the data is accurate and more resources can come to Chinatown and surrounding neighborhoods, like Jack London Square.

Liao said " … () ."

Note: The armed robbery is just one of at least a dozen examples of crime I've heard of plague Chinatown in recent weeks. I know for a fact at least half did not report to police.
dajo9
Shoplifting is down 7% nationally from 2019
https://www.threads.net/@keithboykin/post/C0oo-1Erd2q/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
bearister
Alameda DA Pamela Price doesn't get to decide who's a journalist

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/alameda-da-ban-press-conferences-18542523.php

bearister
The security guard at the 7-Eleven at 23rd and Harrison in Oakland was murdered over $6 worth of candy.
going4roses
I saw that couple days ago do you know if a suspect is in custody?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.