Official Biden / Harris Administration Thread

65,477 Views | 999 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by movielover
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Kaworu said:

golden sloth said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

Yeah, if Mayor Pete is going to continue his rise, he needs a bigger govt. job, which he probably can't get in a state-wide election in Indiana, so Biden appoints him to something at the federal level (especially after he conveniently dropped out when he did).

He served in the Army: Secretary of Defense! (fun to watch some heads explode there)

He's glib, bright and polished enough for Secretary of State (but probably a little young).

VP would be a good training ground for him, but I hear that might be taken already. Just realized he reminds me of France's Macron in a number of ways.
No way on Sec of Defense.
Interesting Sec of State!
Macron - yeah, except that Pete isn't going to marry some lady twice his age.

BTW: What on earth is Kamala actually going to do?

I'm curious to see how Andrew Yang gets worked into the fold. If I'm honest, I kind of want to see a Yang / Buttigieg ticket in 2024.
Yang needs to run for something else first. Congress, mayor, governor. Show he can govern.

Buttigieg is the future in some folks' eyes, but not mine.
Not "the future". But he is intelligent and talented. Would be good to put that to use, somewhere, somehow. That's all we are talking about here.

If I was him I'd move to a more blue area (in his current state or another one - some areas of Colorado seem to be a good fit for him given his military background) and run for Congress.

The congressional district he is in now might be tough to win.

In Congress, he'd be a mere vote. At the bottom of the hierarchy which directs who becomes chairman of a committee.
I'd rather see if he can be an administrator. Give him a bureaucracy to run and see how he does. I mean, that's the job of government, right? Can he lead a staff under him well? That requires relationships, organizational order. Or is he just a talking head?

AOC seems to have found a platform for herself by being just a Congresswoman. There are lots of powerful people in the House.

concordtom
dimitrig said:

AOC seems to have found a platform for herself by being just a Congresswoman. There are lots of powerful people in the House.

Like Adam Schiff. Love that guy.
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
okaydo
concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

I live near his district. In fact, if I turn up the volume on my tv really loud, I can annoy his constituents.
concordtom
Glenn Greenwald said:

concordtom said:

Glenn Greenwald said:

concordtom said:

Kaworu said:

golden sloth said:

concordtom said:

Big C said:

Yeah, if Mayor Pete is going to continue his rise, he needs a bigger govt. job, which he probably can't get in a state-wide election in Indiana, so Biden appoints him to something at the federal level (especially after he conveniently dropped out when he did).

He served in the Army: Secretary of Defense! (fun to watch some heads explode there)

He's glib, bright and polished enough for Secretary of State (but probably a little young).

VP would be a good training ground for him, but I hear that might be taken already. Just realized he reminds me of France's Macron in a number of ways.
No way on Sec of Defense.
Interesting Sec of State!
Macron - yeah, except that Pete isn't going to marry some lady twice his age.

BTW: What on earth is Kamala actually going to do?

I'm curious to see how Andrew Yang gets worked into the fold. If I'm honest, I kind of want to see a Yang / Buttigieg ticket in 2024.
Yang needs to run for something else first. Congress, mayor, governor. Show he can govern.

Buttigieg is the future in some folks' eyes, but not mine.
Not "the future". But he is intelligent and talented. Would be good to put that to use, somewhere, somehow. That's all we are talking about here.
He's intelligent and completely full of shyt. That works on the BearsWiin's of the world, but not on the rest of America. They'll try to make him their new Hitlery standard bearer, but it won't work.
Or maybe you are just homophobic?
Calling people you don't know racist, homophobic, etc. that you don't know is why you get so many people voting for Trump instead of the Democratic Party candidate.
1. I'm sorry that you took offense.
2. I did not call you homophobic. I asked (with a suggestion in the question, obviously).
3. I asked you why you said he was full of it - as that should be a better rationale than homophobia.
4. If you are voting for Trump because people you don't know type things on a website, which you interpret loosely, then that is very sad. You should base your decision on the experience, track record, suitability to the job of the candidates, not on me.
5. Absent any non-sexual-preference reasons for not appreciating Pete's talent still leads me to ask the same questions. So, please, educate me, tell me what better reason you have. The door is wide open and the floor is yours. Tell the story.
concordtom
okaydo said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

I live near his district. In fact, if I turn up the volume on my tv really loud, I can annoy his constituents.
Isn't he like Hollywood or Sherman Oaks or something?
dimitrig
okaydo said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

In the 1990s I lived in his district. Since then I moved and the district lines were redrawn anyhow.

For his first run for office as a state senator I was invited to a fundraiser at his house in Pasadena. I really considered going just to see what one of those things was all about but I didn't. I guess I missed my chance to buy access to a (now) Congressman. FWIW, he's a Furd.

Unit2Sucks
Who should Gavin appoint to replace Harris? I haven't heard any names but could be interesting. Adam Schiff?
concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

Who should Gavin appoint to replace Harris? I haven't heard any names but could be interesting. Adam Schiff?

That white single mom from down south has been mentioned.
...Katie Porter is who I was thinking of.

Good discussion of the candidates here, starting with mention that Latinos are now a plurality of the state at 39% (wow) and two Latino men's names.

Women saying it has to be a woman!
Asians are 15% of CA population and two are mentioned.

Porter and Schiff both mentioned here as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/10/27/californias-most-intense-campaign-the-private-pursuit-of-harris-senate-seat-432928
concordtom
It would not surprise me AT ALL if Pelosi steps aside as speaker now. Some said during his handling of the impeachment proceedings that Schiff could be next in line for that job. Someone suggested he's a Pelosi protege (groomed for it) of sorts?

I'm sure other states and factions will be angling for that as well.

But will Nancy step down and retire NOW that Trump is out? Or will she wait until Mitch is in the minority as well (presumably 2022)?
concordtom
Continuing on this theme, who do Dems run as Presidential candidate in 2024?

Biden is clearly not the sharpest bulb at this point, and he will age further. His gaffes will be highlighted and he will have a hard time debating a fast talking young Republican in 4 years. It just won't be a good look, frankly. He was a good enough compare/contrast to Trump, but I fear a repeat.

Kamala, I'm not sold on, frankly.

But venturing out of that twosome could be unprecedented!!!!

I like Cory Booker, I decided through this last year. Amy Klobuchar, too, but Booker has really grown on me of late! He is always just too damn positive and I see no warts on him.

Maybe he could be elevated nationally with a choice spot in Biden's cabinet.
going4roses
concordtom
Great discussion (and there are many out there) of potential cabinet selections here.

https://medium.com/@robertjzitzmann/who-might-be-in-joe-bidens-cabinet-837e97a53492

As I have been reading through all these options, it's really truly exciting to realize that we should have veteran, skilled, intelligent leaders in government (executive branch) for the next 4 years. Populist names that were bandied about as potential VP picks are minimally present on these lists. Instead, deep experience and chops is what we should expect.

A new name I hadn't seen before in prior cabinet articles: Tim Kaine for Sec of State.

Jay Inslee is everyone's Sec of Energy.

We'll have a serious person also at the EPA.

You know, the trump administration was simply a complete shot show for 4 long years. What a joke!!

I look forward to this new group restoring some professionalism.

Mayor Pete - UN Ambassador.
blungld
Want to see Trumpers have a heart attack? Appoint Obama on the cabinet.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Unit2Sucks
Tim Kaine sucks. I would consider Duckworth in as amb to the UN or Sec of State. Klobuchar for Atty General.
concordtom
blungld said:

Ha, yes, I was think Obama should be Chief Of Staff.
Republicans would absolutely howl!!!
They would call it a puppet regime!

Then run Michelle in 2024, haha haha.
concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

Tim Kaine sucks. I would consider Duckworth in as amb to the UN or Sec of State. Klobuchar for Atty General.

I respect your opinion. But read the article as to why they say Kaine would be an excellent fit as Sec of State.
Unit2Sucks
concordtom said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I respect your opinion. But read the article as to why they say Kaine would be an excellent fit as Sec of State.
The article makes great points and I don't disagree. I just don't want to be reminded of the stench of the 2016 election. I also don't know if Kaine is the right person to rebuild the broken state department which is a big part of what Biden needs to do. We need a massive turnaround.
Unit2Sucks
Election was called earlier this morning. Biden and Harris are going to focus on the COVID crisis in the near-term and expect to announce cabinet appointments in a few weeks. They're forming a new COVID task force and it will be quite interesting to see what steps they take before January to help recover from something that Trump obviously has no interested in addressing.
75bear
I would like to see Biden appoint a Republican or two to his Cabinet or other high level positions. It would be refreshing to see jobs go to the most competent people in the country, plus be a small step toward bringing the country together.
Unit2Sucks
75bear said:

I would like to see Biden appoint a Republican or two to his Cabinet or other high level positions. It would be refreshing to see jobs go to the most competent people in the country, plus be a small step toward bringing the country together.
Would be nice if they were republican senators with democratic governors but yes, I wouldn't have a problem with someone like Kasich or other competent person having a meaningful role in the administration. Ideally someone who can help make headway with Republican legistlators, if such a thing is possible.
golden sloth
Typically there are meetings between the incoming administration and the outgoing administration to try to provide continuity. Given Trump's general attitude towards everything and the White House being a hot spot for the Corona Virus, it will be interesting to see if this tradition continues.
golden sloth
blungld said:

Attorney General
smh
golden sloth said:

blungld said:

> attorney general

[url=https://i.giphy.com/media/9JAD0fFBwZUihBsokl/giphy.mp4][url=https://i.giphy.com/media/9JAD0fFBwZUihBsokl/giphy.mp4][/url][/url]
Unit2Sucks
golden sloth said:

Typically there are meetings between the incoming administration and the outgoing administration to try to provide continuity. Given Trump's general attitude towards everything and the White House being a hot spot for the Corona Virus, it will be interesting to see if this tradition continues.
The transition team has already been in discussion with the white house and from what I read (can't remember where), it was proceeding fairly normally. Obviously that may change but it will be interesting to see to what extent people in his own administration begin to tune Trump out.
BearChemist

okaydo

okaydo
I don't know why, but I was expecting Kamala to give a shoutout to Sarah Palin (and Ferraro).
okaydo

bearister
okaydo said:

I don't know why, but I was expecting Kamala to give a shoutout to Sarah Palin (and Ferraro).

Sarah Palin is enjoying her $12,000,000, RIP Van Winkle 25 year old bourbon straight from the bottle and her Chippendales.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
I don't understand what this new President is doing in his first speech. He brought up no personal grievances, nor did he brag about his own accomplishments. He spent so much time thanking his family and the people who helped him. That's not how Presidential speeches are supposed to go, is it?
smh
sycasey said:

That's not how Presidential speeches are supposed to go, is it?
he's a wild and crazzy guyl
Unit2Sucks
I hope on day one Biden passes an EO to waive all of the Trump admin NDAs. It's ridiculous that Trump forced people to sign them and we deserve transparency.
concordtom
okaydo said:

Nah. You don't sully yourself with comparisons to Palin. She's the second joke, behind Trump himself.
concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

I hope on day one Biden passes an EO to waive all of the Trump admin NDAs. It's ridiculous that Trump forced people to sign them and we deserve transparency.

I don't think that would be legally binding, would it??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.