2020 Election - Catch-all Thread

262,385 Views | 2434 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Unit2Sucks
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

What do the great unwashed want? The most enduring and provincial trope here.

And I'm not convinced anyone here has a good handle on it.

I am almost certain Biden will win the primary.

I'm not. He has the lead, but it's not overwhelming, he's not a great campaigner, and there's a lot of time to go.
Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

What do the great unwashed want? The most enduring and provincial trope here.

And I'm not convinced anyone here has a good handle on it.

I am almost certain Biden will win the primary.

I'm not. He has the lead, but it's not overwhelming, he's not a great campaigner, and there's a lot of time to go.

Biden's greatest strength is in the African American vote- particularly elderly voters. If he can maintain that he'll likely win; Clinton also won the same constituency big in 2016, but blacks did not turn out for her in the general- a big reason she lost, so undoubtedly there are also generational issues in play here.
prospeCt
your dream ticket . . . , Elizabeth, Kamala, either order, so far

OdontoBear66
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bearister said:

Another Bear said:

... Americans however don't want the same old thing...Biden orTrump.

...and what Americans are we talking about? Americans as a whole or the only Americans that count when it comes to electing the POTUS in 2020, the sacred voters of Arizona, Florida, North Carolina and Wisconsin?
Don't forget the rest of the Rust Belt.

Rust Belt is the reason why I think Warren will not win. She is too much of a policy wonk who is already viewed as inauthentic or pandering.

For the blue-collar workers in Midwest, Biden's faux pas and lack of eloquence will be a plus. It will be viewed as authentic.

Warren is a woman
No sheet Red Ryder....You've got it dajo....
bearister
Democrats look for that old debate magic but can anyone defeat Trump?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/23/democratic-debates-2020-joe-biden-bernie-sanders?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Yogi58
bearister said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/23/democratic-debates-2020-joe-biden-bernie-sanders?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
This notion that you have to be bland to win is stupid
kelly09
bearister said:

https://spectator.org/author/dcatron/
bearister
Watching the MSNBC shows today which all feature the hyena triangulation mauling of Biden and Mayor Pete has me laughing about the now guaranteed re election of the Mad King.

bearister
Dear Democrats, Here's How to Guarantee Trump's Reelection

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/25/democrats-trump-election-2020-227215
sycasey
bearister said:

Dear Democrats, Here's How to Guarantee Trump's Reelection

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/25/democrats-trump-election-2020-227215

So you're citing a conservative pundit's opinion on what Democrats should do? Come on man.
okaydo

B.A. Bearacus
I think we can now be confident that the field will be slashed after tonight.
Another Bear
okaydo said:

The Juice is loose in Florida...where felons can vote.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

Actually, he lives in Vegas...so he could easily slip into Southern California.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/jun/10/25-years-after-slayings-oj-simpson-says-life-is-fi/
GBear4Life
LOL NBC
Another Bear
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/jun/10/25-years-after-slayings-oj-simpson-says-life-is-fi/
Is OJ persona non grata on the U$C campus?
GBear4Life
Bill De Blasio

"I've done something none of my colleagues have done. I've raised a black son."

okaydo
bearister
Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

Is OJ persona non grata on the U$C campus?

He ranks right behind this guy in campus popularity polls.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/amp/ex-usc-gynecologist-arrested-on-sex-assault-charges/5365926/

bearister
My biggest takeaway from the rugby scrum of a Democratic Debate tonight is how it really drives home the realization of what an inarticulate, dumb and classless turd tRump is compared to even the biggest lightweight on that stage.
GBear4Life
The parties really need to rethink these contrived, large group debates. Nobody ever comes out looking good, sincere, or relatable.
okaydo
Tonight there were:

3 Stanford alums (Booker, Castro, Inslee)

3 Columbia alums (Delaney, O'Rourke, De Blasio)

Tomorrow there will be no Furds, 2 UC alums.
bearister
GBear4Life said:

The parties really need to rethink these contrived, large group debates. Nobody ever comes out looking good, sincere, or relatable.

Yes, it did suffer from the same malady as Deadwood, the movie, recently on HBO.
GBear4Life
Why don't the networks just give each candidate a 30 min live interview on prime time over the course of a week.

Each candidate knows they may only have two 60 second sound bite opportunities, so they say cringy a*s sh*t to distinguish themselves. The format invites virtue signaling and self aggrandizing.
bearister
It did have a speed dating vibe.

GBear4Life
3 hour long-form, Joe Rogan type conversations that provide a platform for a person to really elucidate and draw out their thoughts and ideas is ideal, especially for these obscure candidates. Problem is even as large as Joe Rogan's audience is, it's dwarfed by a primetime broadcast slot. To my knowledge only Tulsi and Yang have done Rogan's podcast.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

3 hour long-form, Joe Rogan type conversations that provide a platform for a person to really elucidate and draw out their thoughts and ideas is ideal, especially for these obscure candidates. Problem is even as large as Joe Rogan's audience is, it's dwarfed by a primetime broadcast slot. To my knowledge only Tulsi and Yang have done Rogan's podcast.
It's a liberal podcast, but Pod Save America has been doing long-form interviews with any Democratic candidate willing to come on. Most of the big names (Biden, Bernie, Kamala) haven't done it, but a lot of the lesser-known ones have.
B.A. Bearacus

okaydo
GBear4Life said:

Why don't the networks just give each candidate a 30 min live interview on prime time over the course of a week.

Each candidate knows they may only have two 60 second sound bite opportunities, so they say cringy a*s sh*t to distinguish themselves. The format invites virtue signaling and self aggrandizing.

Yes, 25 candidates....which is 12 1/2 hours. In one week. That's like watching a whole Game of Thrones season in one week, except boring. Also, nobody is going to tune in to that snoozefest. They tune in for the action of the debates, and 2 hours is exhausting as hell.

Also, many of the candidates were given CNN town halls -- and viewers couldn't care less.

As for Joe Rogan, Democratic candidates -- except for really, really fringe ones -- aren't going on a podcast of a conspiracy guy who despises the left. They'd much sooner go on Howard Stern, who's pretty normal but whose reputation is way too toxic.

GBear4Life
sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

It's a liberal podcast, but Pod Save America has been doing long-form interviews with any Democratic candidate willing to come on. Most of the big names (Biden, Bernie, Kamala) haven't done it, but a lot of the lesser-known ones have.
Yeah if only they could get a fraction of that time and style of dialogue in primetime...it'd be great for voters.
GBear4Life
okaydo said:

GBear4Life said:

Yes, 25 candidates....which is 12 1/2 hours. In one week. That's like watching a whole Game of Thrones season in one week, except boring. Also, nobody is going to tune in to that snoozefest. They tune in for the action of the debates, and 2 hours is exhausting as hell.

Also, many of the candidates were given CNN town halls -- and viewers couldn't care less.

As for Joe Rogan, Democratic candidates -- except for really, really fringe ones -- aren't going on a podcast of a conspiracy guy who despises the left. They'd much sooner go on Howard Stern, who's pretty normal but whose reputation is way too toxic.

Rogan despises the Left now? He's just outspoken against the SJWs leftist mob and its apologists. So does 80% of the country.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

Yeah if only they could get a fraction of that time and style of dialogue in primetime...it'd be great for voters.

I don't know how many people will sit down and watch an interview for that long on TV though. Podcasts work great because you can listen while doing something else ( driving, working, washing dishes, whatever) and it's all on your own schedule.
okaydo
GBear4Life said:

okaydo said:

GBear4Life said:

Rogan despises the Left now? He's just outspoken against the SJWs leftist mob and its apologists. So does 80% of the country.

You clearly like him, which says all that really needs to be said.
bearister
If Beto O' Rourke was a Commander, the name of his handmaid would be Ofbeto.

GBear4Life
okaydo said:

GBear4Life said:

You clearly like him, which says all that really needs to be said.
Like him? I mean, I like the open, long-form platform he provides a diverse group of people from all walks of life to talk about all sorts of topics. I agree with him on some stuff, disagree on others.

That you so dislike a largely run-of-the-mill liberal/centrist who engages a diverse range of people is, as far as I can tell, a poor reflection on you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.