2020 Election - Catch-all Thread

262,707 Views | 2434 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Unit2Sucks
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Professor Harry Edwards said:

bearister said:

Hypothetical: If your vote for Biden resulted in a loss of the election for the orange demon, would you so cast it?

If not, why not?
No. Why would I support a corrupt Democratic establishment over a corrupt Republican president? Neither has shown me they're any better. I'll put my energy and resources into getting Republican senate incumbents out of office.
How many states with Republican senators do your various alter ego professors vote in?
GBear4Life
dajo9 said:

Professor Harold Hill said:

bearister said:

Inside a future Biden administration: His possible picks for VP and Cabinet - Axios

https://www.axios.com/joe-biden-cabinet-vice-president-picks-b17882ac-3953-450f-8afb-38a3c8dcda57.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Country run by investment bankers, just like under Obama.
Obama raised taxes and regulations on investment bankers. Trump cut them.

Weird how some people call that the same.
Nothing on Wall St changed when Obama had both houses.
B.A. Bearacus

Yogi07
golden sloth said:

bearister said:

bearister said:

If Biden is the nominee and Bernie tells his supporters to vote for Biden, will you Bernie supporters on BI vote for Joe?
I'm not a Biden voter. I vote the way I want to, not the way a politician tells me to.

If you'd wanted a team effort, maybe you should have treated all members of the team the same.

Hypothetical: If your vote for Biden resulted in a loss of the election for the orange demon, would you so cast it?

If not, why not?
No. Why would I support a corrupt Democratic establishment over a corrupt Republican president? Neither has shown me they're any better. I'll put my energy and resources into getting Republican senate incumbents out of office.
The Democratic primary was not rigged. Biden simply won (and Biden was not my guy). If you look at Sanders' he was never able to expand upon his base, even with name recognition, more money, and a more motivated base Sanders was not able to build a coalition of anyone but the hardcore. Sanders only jumped out to a lead because there were so many moderates splitting the vote early, not because people were voting for him. Again, he failed to build upon his base. Biden won fair and square, not by the DNC's orchestration.

And, if you try to convince me that the election was actually rigged, bring something more substantial than 'The Hill' opinion pieces where the hosts angrily speculate unsubstantiated claims with the hope the viewer consumes them as facts.
Your responses are tired. Enjoy the Fourth Reich.
Yogi07
bearister said:

bearister said:

If Biden is the nominee and Bernie tells his supporters to vote for Biden, will you Bernie supporters on BI vote for Joe?
I'm not a Biden voter. I vote the way I want to, not the way a politician tells me to.

If you'd wanted a team effort, maybe you should have treated all members of the team the same.

If not, why not?
But at any rate, my vote is immaterial. Biden will win California easily. It's the other states that will be his demise.
Yogi07
bearister said:

bearister said:

bearister said:

If not, why not?
Compare and contrast Biden's corruption with tRump's corruption to support your contention that it is no less enabling of corruption to vote for Biden than to vote for tRump.*

*I am actually trying to learn here since it is clear you are well read on the subject of politics (and certainly more so than me).
I appreciate you trying to have an actual conversation. That's why I'm a fan of yours.

Biden himself is not the issue insofar as the establishment is concerned. You could replace him with any number of regular Democrats and end up with similar theoretical presidencies. The concerning thing about him is not so much the kind of president he will be as much as that Trump is going to beat him like a drum on weaknesses that the field sort've agreed were "out of bounds" to discuss in the debates. Which means that the first time Biden will have to answer any substantive questioning about the many ways that Hunter Biden has profited off of his dad's name over the years will be in the general where Republicans will play at their absolute dirtiest. And since there is no actual enthusiasm for Biden the candidate and what is sweeping him into the nomination is just this fear that the Democrats have to somehow discern who is the most "electable", he won't generate the kind of turnout that a guy like Obama, who sold us a bunch of nice sounding pablum in an attractive package was able to do. In this sense, the Democrats are their own worst enemy because they're sending out the exact same candidate that has failed time and time again for them. The milquetoast Hillary/Kerry/Gore middle of the road type candidate. Bill at least had a way of getting people to like him. So did Obama. I think people are generally OK with Biden as a human, but he doesn't excite anyone.

But at least Bloomberg will never be president. That was a real danger to the country if guys like him could buy their way into the head job.

From a perspective of prosecuting the case against Trump, you'd much rather have an attack dog like Elizabeth Warren up there ripping him to shreds. But she and her Hillary Clinton staffers were her own worst enemy and she proved to be an empty suit that didn't actually believe anything she was saying. She ended up running on her identity just as Kamala did and that's just not enough for people.

She wasn't popular, but a candidate like Klobuchar would have been a far far superior option to Biden. Same presidency, but you'd at least energize women to want to get a woman president in office and you'd get someone who'd rip Trump a new ******* on stage with no obvious attack angles that would work from a Republican attack vector.
Yogi17
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Bernie got his fair shot this time. He had high name ID going in. He was basically a national politician for four years. Several debates got high ratings. Turnout was up.

He just didn't win. That's how it goes sometimes.
Yea, particularly if you look at the results of today. It was essentially a two-person race (Tulsi doesn't really count) and Biden beat Sanders in places he won against Clinton. This was a fair fight, and it turns out that more democrats wanted the moderate than the progressive. Biden won not only in the suburbs, and with black voters, but also with white working class rural people. That last one is the stinger, that should be Sanders' bread and butter.

That said, Bernie's revolution was successful in that a 'moderate' democrat in 2020 would have been considered a 'progressive' in 2012. The whole party moved left, and they are bringing young people, and the suburbs with them. A public option was toxic a decade ago, now its considered moderate.

Yes, the party is being pushed to the left anyway, regardless of whether or not Bernie is the nominee. Joe Biden is a guy who basically tries to stay in the middle/mainstream of wherever the Democratic Party is at any given time, so him having such a progressive platform tells you how the ground has shifted.

2016 vs now basically tells you that working-class whites in the Rust Belt really hated Hillary. They seem to like Biden more than they like Bernie.
Yes. Sanders support was always more about not being Hillary than being Sanders. A bottle of ketchup likely would have done as well.
Yogi010
Unit2Sucks said:

bearister said:

If not, why not?
How many states with Republican senators do your various alter ego professors vote in?
It's not widely known, but money is fungible. Phones also allow people in one state to call people in other states. There's also this thing called the Internet, if you haven't heard of it.
Yogi17
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Bernie got his fair shot this time. He had high name ID going in. He was basically a national politician for four years. Several debates got high ratings. Turnout was up.

Yea, particularly if you look at the results of today. It was essentially a two-person race (Tulsi doesn't really count) and Biden beat Sanders in places he won against Clinton. This was a fair fight, and it turns out that more democrats wanted the moderate than the progressive. Biden won not only in the suburbs, and with black voters, but also with white working class rural people. That last one is the stinger, that should be Sanders' bread and butter.

That said, Bernie's revolution was successful in that a 'moderate' democrat in 2020 would have been considered a 'progressive' in 2012. The whole party moved left, and they are bringing young people, and the suburbs with them. A public option was toxic a decade ago, now its considered moderate.

Yes, the party is being pushed to the left anyway, regardless of whether or not Bernie is the nominee. Joe Biden is a guy who basically tries to stay in the middle/mainstream of wherever the Democratic Party is at any given time, so him having such a progressive platform tells you how the ground has shifted.

2016 vs now basically tells you that working-class whites in the Rust Belt really hated Hillary. They seem to like Biden more than they like Bernie.
I don't think it's that they like Biden better, it's that they believe despite there not being any actual polling evidence to suggest otherwise the misnomer that Sanders couldn't defeat Trump in the general. Biden has not been able to generate any enthusiasm on his own - he had to have the field cleared for him so that the choice became "Safe Choice" or "Bold Choice" even though "Safe Choice" isn't actually safe.
okaydo
sycasey
Professor David Romer said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I don't think it's that they like Biden better, it's that they believe despite there not being any actual polling evidence to suggest otherwise the misnomer that Sanders couldn't defeat Trump in the general. Biden has not been able to generate any enthusiasm on his own - he had to have the field cleared for him so that the choice became "Safe Choice" or "Bold Choice" even though "Safe Choice" isn't actually safe.
Though in fairness, the polling did suggest Biden had a slightly better chance than Sanders of defeating Trump. If you're going to use that evidence to prove that Sanders was electable, then you also need to acknowledge that Biden is also strong on that measure.
Yogi03
sycasey said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Though in fairness, the polling did suggest Biden had a slightly better chance than Sanders of defeating Trump. If you're going to use that evidence to prove that Sanders was electable, then you also need to acknowledge that Biden is also strong on that measure.
But his relative "strength" is well within the margin of error. It's not significantly different than Sanders vs. Trump or Bottle of Ketchup vs. Trump or Blueblood vs. Trump.

More importantly, once this becomes apparent, it's just all over.

The DNC cares more about defeating progressives than defeating Trump.
sycasey
Professor Grubbly-Plank said:

sycasey said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

But his relative "strength" is well within the margin of error. It's not significantly different than Sanders vs. Trump or Bottle of Ketchup vs. Trump or Blueblood vs. Trump.
Significantly? No, but for the most part his polling advantage has remained consistent.
B.A. Bearacus

The only two possible bumper stickers we will see:

A. Biden/Harris
B. Biden/Abrams
Unit2Sucks
Maxine Waters as VP would make deplorables' heads explode.
B.A. Bearacus
This usually means...

B.A. Bearacus

Yogi03
B.A. Bearacus said:

The only two possible bumper stickers we will see:

A. Biden/Harris
B. Biden/Abrams
And neither will get the progressives to support him
sycasey
TandemBear

bearister said:

bearister said:

If not, why not?
One acronym: SCOTUS

This is the obvious reason why you vote Biden. Small steps. Otherwise, it gets worse.

My main goal has always been fundamental campaign finance reform. Without it, we continue to fight the battles and lose the war. Over and over again. Public option for health care nixed? Yup. Fundamental gun control legislation after Sandy Hook looked like it should be a foregone conclusion. Nope. Example after example show how the will of the people is always thwarted by special interest and money. Citizens United only strengthened their hold on the system.

But that's a pipe dream. Small steps need to be taken.
Yogi03
TandemBear said:

bearister said:

bearister said:

If not, why not?
One acronym: SCOTUS

This is the obvious reason why you vote Biden. Small steps. Otherwise, it gets worse.

My main goal has always been fundamental campaign finance reform. Without it, we continue to fight the battles and lose the war. Over and over again. Public option for health care nixed? Yup. Fundamental gun control legislation after Sandy Hook looked like it should be a foregone conclusion. Nope. Example after example show how the will of the people is always thwarted by special interest and money. Citizens United only strengthened their hold on the system.

But that's a pipe dream. Small steps need to be taken.
The Supreme Court is why I want to flip the Senate.

Hillary coalitions don't win.
okaydo
This has been a hellish week, but at least we have this to look forward to on Thursday:

Californium
Professor Grubbly-Plank said:

[The Supreme Court is why I want to flip the Senate.

Hillary coalitions don't win.

Why not flip the senate AND let Biden chose beter SCOTUS candidates?

By the way, the clip you linked just shows that both sides are being ridiculous (for those who didn't click, Michael Moore is talking about how Clinton and Biden said if Bernie was the nominee they weren't sure they could support him and how that was tacitly choosing Trump again) about this.
sycasey
Democrats may have actually dodged a bullet that Andrew Gillum didn't win.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article241165641.html
Yogi02
sycasey said:

I guess he couldn't pass your purity test
sycasey

sycasey said:

It's a tough standard, but I do like my candidates to not get caught in a hotel room with a bunch of meth.
dajo9
Professor getting awfully repetitive and increasingly irrelevant.

Thinking about blocking.
American Vermin
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Thinking about blocking.
There will just be a new alias tomorrow.
dajo9
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Thinking about blocking.

Ha. True. True.
American Vermin
bearister
" President Trump is as scared of running against Joe Biden as he is of running. The question is, why? One reason he fears Biden is because Biden is like him. He's old, gets confused, mispronounces words, forgets things, and makes gaffes. But attacking him for these things invites the obvious response: "He sounds a lot like you!"

Indeed, Trump can't attack Biden without attacking himself. Biden's weaknesses magnify Trump's, which are far worse. There's nothing that Biden does that Trump doesn't do worse. Biden has been touchy with women; Trump has been criminal with women. Biden has hair plugs; Trump has something worse. Biden said Barack Obama was "articulate." Trump said Obama was Kenyan." Windsor Mann, The Week
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Yogi02
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Thinking about blocking.
Depends on how many times wifeisafurd cries about me pointing out his past
Yogi04
sycasey said:

sycasey said:

It's a tough standard, but I do like my candidates to not get caught in a hotel room with a bunch of meth.
In all fairness, he didn't even get arrested and it's not clear that he had used any meth based on the article
B.A. Bearacus
Bernie is a great man. Also, it would be great for him to suspend his campaign tomorrow.

B.A. Bearacus
golden sloth
B.A. Bearacus said:

That is a fair point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.