Coronavirus vs Trump

228,893 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

My 4 takeaways:

1. It explains why tRump is POTUS;

2. The Fall of the Roman Empire;

3. I recently saw the movie 1917. Perhaps start a war, waive the military physical, bring back trench warfare, and send every one of those m@otherf@uckers in the first waive. The only problem being that being cannon fodder would be an upgrade for most of them;

4. Even if they don't get ill perhaps they can bring it home and inflict a painful death on those who spawned them.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
"Rece Davis Retweeted"

okaydo

B.A. Bearacus
Cave Bear
ABC Poll says 55% of Americans approve of Trump's response to the coronavirus. That number has gone up about 10% in the course of the past week as the federal government announces actions being taken or planned. America is apparently willing to overlook Trump being asleep at the wheel for the first few months of this thing so long as he shows us the money.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/20/poll-majority-of-americans-now-approve-of-trumps-coronavirus-management-138570
dimitrig
Cave Bear said:

ABC Poll says 55% of Americans approve of Trump's response to the coronavirus. That number has gone up about 10% in the course of the past week as the federal government announces actions being taken or planned. America is apparently willing to overlook Trump being asleep at the wheel for the first few months of this thing so long as he shows us the money.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/20/poll-majority-of-americans-now-approve-of-trumps-coronavirus-management-138570

55% of Americans still think it is okay to party in Miami for spring break.
bearister
1. A majority of Americans cannot name a single branch of government or explain what the Bill of Rights is;

2. 24% can't name the country that the U.S. fought in the Revolutionary War;

3. 2/3 don't know what the holding of Roe v. Wade is;

4. 2/3 don't know what the Food and Drug Administration does;

5. 50% don't know each state has two senators;

6. More than 50% can't name their congressman;

7. The average voter thinks 24% of the U.S. budget goes to foreign aid (less than 1% does);

8. 18% thinks the sun revolves around the earth;

9. 50% don't know that Judaism predates Christianity

*87% of Americans can name the body part the Kardashians bleach and what Gwynnie's candles smell like.
NYCGOBEARS
COVID-19 does not care one iota what your politics are.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/coronavirus-heaven-frilot-mark-frilot.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
BearNIt
We are starting to lose healthcare workers to the virus with positive tests. If you didn't think this is going to be a giant ****storm then just wait a couple of weeks. Hospitals can't protect their workers as they don't have the necessary protective equipment and the CDC recs of things like reuse N95 mask or use a bandana have healthcare workers scratching their collective heads. Without that protective equipment we are not only putting healthcare workers at risk, but also their families, friends, neighbors, and others in the communities they live in. Just think about how many people can be infected by one person who does not show symptoms at a supermarket or at a gas station. Without healthcare workers from the top to the bottom try to imagine who is going to take care of the sick, run the test, process the labs, complete the diagnostic test, draw labs, issue orders, write prescriptions, clean rooms, clean medical instruments, hang the needed medications, start IVs, and transport patients to and from test/diagnostics.
bearister
The Alternate Fact Universe of the tRump Cult of Personality finally experiences the danger of their belief system:

Trump country faces heightened coronavirus risk - Axios

https://www.axios.com/trump-supporters-coronavirus-8ba57403-4a5a-4256-89b2-c286ecccd337.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
smh
NYCGOBEARS said:

COVID-19 does not care one iota what your politics are.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/coronavirus-heaven-frilot-mark-frilot.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
thanks for the linked nytimes article nycgb. well written (free apparently) and brings the story home. from the top..
Quote:

The only thing that should have been different about the first Friday in March was the apple crisp. Heaven Frilot didn't usually cook at the end of the workweek, instead letting her family snack on leftovers a roast or pork chops she'd made earlier, maybe or order pizza. But her 10-year-old son, Ethan, was having a friend over that night, and her husband, Mark, a lawyer, was coming off a crushing week of arbitration. She would bake an apple crisp.

Then Mark Frilot 45 years old, "never, ever sick" came home with a fever.

In the haze of days that followed, Ms. Frilot, a 43-year-old oil-and-gas analyst, occupied one world, the rest of her community in Kenner, La., another. She saw her friends making jokes on social media about the coronavirus eye-roll emojis, Fox News talking points, Rush Limbaugh quotes writing off the threat. And then one person asked if anyone really had this thing.

Ms. Frilot had an answer..

spoiler: without a ventilator he'd surely have died by now. might still. and waay too few available, already.

-----------
^^^ whoo hoo, above post nabbed item #500 in thread.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
sycasey
Cave Bear said:

It's still early. If Trump turns it around and actually behaves responsibly then maybe he can improve his approval numbers. But there are still plenty of ways this could go badly. A lot of places haven't really seen the impact of this disease yet.
bearister
Yogi17
dimitrig said:

Cave Bear said:

55% of Americans still think it is okay to party in Miami for spring break.
Utah just doesn't generate the same enthusiasm
Yogi17
Cave Bear said:

That's a surprisingly large number. I'm a little suspicious of it TBH.

On the other hand, people actually think Biden is going to beat Trump. LMAO.
bearister
Professor David Romer said:

Cave Bear said:

I'm pretty sure the Russians and tRump can exploit this crisis to make sure that doesn't happen ...up to and including indefinitely suspending the election and enforcing that decree by the imposition of Martial Law.
Yogi17
bearister said:

Cave Bear said:

I'm pretty sure the Russians and tRump can exploit this crisis to make sure that doesn't happen ...up to and including indefinitely suspending the election and enforcing that decree by the imposition of Martial Law.
It would be hilarious if the Democrats managed to successfully suspend the rest of their primaries, then cry foul if the national election is cancelled.
NYCGOBEARS

bearister said:

Cave Bear said:

It would be hilarious if the Democrats managed to successfully suspend the rest of their primaries, then cry foul if the national election is cancelled.
Yeah, that would be super funny...
sycasey
This is the most softball of softball questions for a President during a crisis time. Even George W. Bush managed to answer these questions well. Trump just goes on the attack. Yeesh.

bearister
Boris the Spider screwing the pooch in the U.K.:

Boris Johnson announces closure of all UK pubs and restaurants

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/london-pubs-cinemas-and-gyms-may-close-in-covid-19-clampdown?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

UrsaMajor

bearister said:

Cave Bear said:

Correction: it's' not the democrats suspending primaries, it's the state governments (for the record, LA and OH have REPUBLICAN state governments).
bearister
smh
bearister said:

> Boris Johnson announces closure of all UK pubs and restaurants
lower down the article qualifies Closure
> They would be allowed to sell takeaway food and drink, he added.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Cave Bear

Cave Bear said:

I'm afraid the approval may be real. Even some of Trump's most bitter critics have been impressed with some of the things he's doing (and other things he's talking about doing). Intended as support or not, having Ilhan Omar suggest that "politics aside" Trump's response is "incredible and the right response in this critical time" is stunning.

sycasey
Cave Bear said:

Cave Bear said:

I'm afraid the approval may be real. Even some of Trump's most bitter critics have been impressed with some of the things he's doing (and other things he's talking about doing). Intended as support or not, having Ilhan Omar suggest that "politics aside" Trump's response is "incredible and the right response in this critical time" is stunning.

I'm fine with this. Praise him if he does something right or proposes a good policy -- you want him to keep that up.

If he doesn't follow through on any of it then that should soon become clear.
dimitrig

I think the problem with Trump's response is that it is far too late. What has he been doing all this time? The horse is already out the barn. Most Americans just don't realize it yet.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

I think the problem with Trump's response is that it is far too late. What has he been doing all this time? The horse is already out the barn. Most Americans just don't realize it yet.

IMO that's also something that should become clear fairly quickly.
bearister
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

IMO that's also something that should become clear fairly quickly.

I hate tRump but I try to be fair. Someone in the know can answer this: California has never expected tRump to save us from anything. Our state has medical experts and forward thinkers and a surplus. Why weren't we geared up for a pandemic earlier?*

* The problem with tRump is that he is insufferable, dumb as a turnip, felonious and just generally evil, so it is hard to cut him any slack or give him any credit even when due....and his surrounding cast of defective spawn and 5th string political hacks makes his situation all the worse.
B.A. Bearacus
Cave Bear said:

Cave Bear said:

If the question is has the president been impressive in preventing unnecessary turmoil and death in the United States due to CV-19, the answer is no. That said, he's in charge so we all need him to win big on this, despite himself, so if one wants to call the ordinary and expected impressive or extraordinary, go for it.

dimitrig
B.A. Bearacus said:

Cave Bear said:

Cave Bear said:

If the question is has the president been impressive in preventing unnecessary turmoil and death in the United States due to CV-19, the answer is no. That said, he's in charge so we all need him to win big on this, despite himself, so if one wants to call the ordinary and expected impressive or extraordinary, go for it.

Why are people still flying all over the country spreading the virus to even our most rural and isolated areas? Why is public transportation still running? Trump needs to shut it down. He probably will... in another few days to a week. Lots of wasted time.

B.A. Bearacus
Presidential historian Jon Meacham not impressed with T:

Quote:

Alas, there is no such hand in the White House. Consumed by his own narcissism and will to power, President Trump has failed to rise to the occasion as he attacks the media, exaggerates progress and indulges in public self-pity. The presidency, as Roosevelt knew, is "pre-eminently a place of moral leadership," a beacon of stability in unstable times. In this hour, the office isn't broken, but the incumbent is...

Offering both faith and facts are essential. "The people of the United States have not failed," Roosevelt said in his first inaugural address. "In their need they have registered a mandate that they want direct, vigorous action. ... They have made me the present instrument of their wishes. In the spirit of the gift I take it."

He understood, too, that we need a leadership grounded in reality, especially in wartime. "Your Government has unmistakable confidence in your ability to hear the worst, without flinching or losing heart," Roosevelt told the nation in 1942. That same winter, he leveled with us, saying, "The news is going to get worse and worse before it begins to get better. The American people must be prepared for it and they must get it straight from the shoulder."

Presidents must give it to us straight. Those who get in trouble Johnson and Vietnam, Nixon and Watergate think they can sugarcoat the truth or deny reality outright. I fear Trump and the coronavirus pandemic have now joined that dispiriting list of presidential failures, and we are only beginning to count the wages of misleading the people.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Cave Bear said:

Cave Bear said:

Why are people still flying all over the country spreading the virus to even our most rural and isolated areas? Why is public transportation still running? Trump needs to shut it down. He probably will... in another few days to a week. Lots of wasted time.

Not sure you can shut down public transit if you want essential businesses to stay open. Some people rely upon that to get to work.
Big C
bearister said:

Cave Bear said:

I hate to have to be so cynical about the President of the United States, but I can imagine the following conversation having taken place in the last week or so:

"We've really been taking a hit on this stupid virus thing lately. I wonder what we can do to turn it around... "

"How about if we blame it on... the media? Maybe. The Democrats? Not this time... Immigrants? Possibly... "

"There's got to be something even better... What can we... HOLY S***! You know what we can do? We can effing PRINT MONEY and send it out to everybody!!! In an election year, too. And what's Sleepy Joe going to do, be against it?!?"

"So many more Americans will recognize you for the compassionate problem solver you really are, sir!"

"Heh heh, I LOVE being President! And Jared, remember, you don't need to call me 'sir' when we're in the residence."
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

bearister said:

Cave Bear said:

I hate to have to be so cynical about the President of the United States, but I can imagine the following conversation having taken place in the last week or so:

"We've really been taking a hit on this stupid virus thing lately. I wonder what we can do to turn it around... "

"How about if we blame it on... the media? Maybe. The Democrats? Not this time... Immigrants? Possibly... "

"There's got to be something even better... What can we... HOLY S***! You know what we can do? We can effing PRINT MONEY and send it out to everybody!!! In an election year, too. And what's Sleepy Joe going to do, be against it?!?"

"So many more Americans will recognize you for the compassionate problem solver you really are, sir!"

"Heh heh, I LOVE being President! And Jared, remember, you don't need to call me 'sir' when we're in the residence."
Massively far fetched. Jared always has to call him sir.
okaydo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.