Coronavirus vs Trump

237,044 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
BearChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nothing comforts the nation more in a crisis than an idiot-in-chief.

chazzed
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-gretchen-whitmer-michigan-coronavirus-feud-032411002.html

Brass tacks: There was a time when one wouldn't expect a president to act anything like the current one is acting. It's beyond inappropriate to put the citizens of Michigan in harm's way over a petty spat with a governor looking out for her people.
bearister
The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/28/trump-coronavirus-politics-us-health-disaster?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
chazzed said:

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-gretchen-whitmer-michigan-coronavirus-feud-032411002.html

Brass tacks: There was a time when one wouldn't expect a president to act anything like the current one is acting. It's beyond inappropriate to put the citizens of Michigan in harm's way over a petty spat with a governor looking out for her people.
You know, there was a time when we had a President who would willingly work with state governors during a crisis, even if they were his political enemies.

bearister
How we got here with coronavirus, in one minute - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-story-one-minute-38ae6b7d-f8df-462e-9b6d-d52e16831613.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
Unit2Sucks
Even Fox News is going to have a hard time sugarcoating Trump's response to this pandemic. When we had 15 cases he said it would go to 0 and said it would just disappear like a miracle. He resourced it accordingly.

We are at 100k cases now and will be over 1 million within weeks with the associated negative health outcomes.

The economy has taken a major step down and will take another big step down this summer when the stimulus provisions no longer prevent companies from laying people off and the economic freefall will begin anew.

Trump won't get another chance to mismanage a crisis.
NYCGOBEARS
Just like Vietnam, when the pictures of body bags start getting out it'll be all over for Trump.
okaydo
bearister
Remember what they said about AT&T when they laid off thousands of employees after getting the $20 billion tax windfall: A corporation's first duty is to it's shareholders. Well....

*Do you think there is any chance Gov. Newsom will issue an order that cocktail hour has been rolled back to 2 pm?

Go!Bears
okaydo said:

Well the good news is the pens all went to the government official leading our Federal pandemic response.
Unit2Sucks
Predictable. I hope CA can fend for itself because we might not get much more than that hospital ship unless Gavin kisses the ring.

dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

Predictable. I hope CA can fend for itself because we might not get much more than that hospital ship unless Gavin kisses the ring.

To be fair, Florida probably didn't request much because their government thinks this is all a hoax.
GBear4Life
If Trump had handled this like a BOSS ( in the eyes of those on the fence) he'd still have no shot. Crises are bad for the incumbent any way you slice it.
dimitrig
GBear4Life said:

If Trump had handled this like a BOSS ( in the eyes of those on the fence) he'd still have no shot. Crises are bad for the incumbent any way you slice it.

Dubya had a crisis and was re-elected despite being a dumbass and then had another crisis.

okaydo
okaydo
dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

Dubya had a crisis and was re-elected despite being a dumbass and then had another crisis.

Serious question: What was bush's first crisis? Iraq? Was that a problem in 2004?
dajo9
okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

Serious question: What was bush's first crisis? Iraq? Was that a problem in 2004?

Bush completely let down our guard before 9/11 happened. It should have never happened. The media never reported the truth but read Richard Clark's book.
American Vermin
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
dimitrig
okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

9/11

I wasn't even counting the Iraq War as a crisis. It just followed from 9/11.

FuzzyWuzzy
dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

9/11

Crazy, isn't it? How the hell did that happen.
bearister
okaydo said:

Question of the day: Does the POTUS have even a microscopic speck of human decency in him?

*Does anyone think Melatonin has taken the opportunity provided by this crisis to flee the castle with Barron?

NYCGOBEARS

Defend this if you can.
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

Defend this if you can.

Richard Boone in Hombre to tRump:

"I wonder what Hell is going to look like?"

chazzed
It's simply unbelievable. You have a man that has led the worst response in the world, arguably. As a result, thousands of your citizens have died and many thousands more will perish. The man has decided it would be a good time to brag about ratings of his pressers conferences (which are replete with sobering facts). My god. My poor country.
prospeCt
https://m.sfgate.com/news/articleComments/How-Much-Should-the-Public-Know-About-Who-Has-the-15164374.php

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/us/coronavirus-data-privacy.html

https://www.nytimes.com/trending/
okaydo
dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

9/11

I guess when I see the word "crisis," I see a word with a negative connotation. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall his handling of 9/11 being a big part of the 2004 presidential race. (Again, I may be wrong.)

I think of 9/11 as enhancing Bush.

If my memory serves me right, (and, again I could be wrong), I remember on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in 2011 Bush and Obama speaking at the World Trade Center. This was a few months after Osama Bin Laden was killed. Yet I remember Bush being universally cheered and Obama receiving at least some boos.

9/11 enhanced Bush in the eyes of the American public. He wasn't blamed for missing out on the terrorist attack. Just like, at least so far, Trump isn't being blamed on bungling the pandemic. (Although there is a lot of *vocal* evidence of Trump bungling this, which may hopefully ultimately hurt him.)

If Bush had taken the memo seriously and stopped 9/11 before it happened and never had a terrorist attack before the 2004 election, he'd probably look less heroic.
dimitrig
okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

9/11

I guess when I see the word "crisis," I see a word with a negative connotation. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall his handling of 9/11 being a big part of the 2004 presidential race. (Again, I may be wrong.)

If my memory serves me right, (and, again I could be wrong), I remember on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in 2011 Bush and Obama speaking at the World Trade Center. This was a few months after Osama Bin Laden was killed. Yet I remember Bush being universally cheered and Obama receiving at least some boos.

9/11 enhanced Bush in the eyes of the American public. He wasn't blamed for missing out on the terrorist attack. Just like, at least so far, Trump isn't being blamed on bungling the pandemic. (Although there is a lot of *vocal* evidence of Trump bungling this, which may hopefully ultimately hurt him.)

If Bush had taken the memo seriously and stopped 9/11 before it happened and never had a terrorist attack before the 2004 election, he'd probably look less heroic.

My comment was in response to the assertion that "Crises are bad for the incumbent any way you slice it."

As you state, Bush's crisis (whether or not it was of his own making) wasn't necessarily bad for the incumbent. I don't think he handled it well and it was an issue for me during the election, but that is beside the point.

WW2 wasn't necessarily bad for FDR. Civil War wasn't necessarily bad for Lincoln. There are probably other examples.

okaydo
NYCGOBEARS said:

Defend this if you can.

Wow, 2 ratings tweets in one morning

I think the problem is:

1) very few Americans are on Twitter so they don't really know how grotesque he is.

2) very few Americans watch (non-Fox News) cable news so they don't really know how grotesque he is.

3) Many of the mainstream national and local news outlets filter the president in a way that doesn't capture how grotesque he is.

The following two stories are from Reuters and the Associated Press from Friday. These headlines run across the country. Do the headlines capture how grotesque he is?

Big C
NYCGOBEARS said:

Defend this if you can.

Well, he's right about one thing: Numbers are continuing to rise. Exponentially.
bearister
The Coronavirus Crisis and the Trump O'Clock Follies | The New Yorker

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-trumps-washington/the-trump-oclock-follies

" Just as the Vietnam briefings became a standard by which the erosion of government credibility could be measured then, historians of the future will consult the record of Trump's mendacious, misleading press conferences as an example of a tragic failure of leadership at such a critical moment. There will be much material for them; the transcripts from just the first three days of this week run to more than forty thousand words."

" His other metrics are good, too, including a Gallup poll showing him with the highest approval rating of his Presidency (forty-nine per cent, versus a forty-five per cent disapproval rating). Even more striking were the results of a CBS/YouGov poll, released this week, in which respondents were asked what sources of information about the coronavirus they found most credible. Democrats rated medical professionals and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention most highly. Trump came in last among this group, at fourteen per cent. But, for Republicans, Trump came in at the top, with ninety per cent saying that they trusted the President's information about the coronavirus, making him tied for first place with medical professionals. The poll shows that, even when their own lives are literally at stake, a significant subset of the American population no longer believes in almost anything other than the President."

*Can't someone convince tRump he is in imminent danger of getting the virus and dying and get him to agree to be locked up in Level 40 of the Cheyenne Mountain Complex.
okaydo

NYCGOBEARS
Yogi04
okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

9/11

Yep. Bush was loved in 2004 for Iraq. And literally the whole election was about Iraq on both side.

And the hilarious thing is that once the Democrats got into power, all the stuff they complained about in 2004 stayed the same. Guantanemo still open. Soldiers still in Iraq and Afghanistan. Soliders in Syria. Drone attacks.

And yet they still wonder why people don't vote for them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.