Coronavirus vs Trump

228,905 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
" Trump does not defend our democracy from the ruinous consequences of conspiracy thinking. Instead, he embraces such thinking. A conspiracy theorybirtherismwas his pathway to power, and, in office, he warns of the threat of the "deep state" with the ferocity of a QAnon disciple. He has even begun to question the official coronavirus death toll, which he sees as evidence of a dark plot against him. How is he different from Alex Jones, from the conspiracy manufacturers of Russia and the Middle East?

He lives in the White House. That is one main difference."

Jeffrey Goldberg: The Conspiracy Theorists Are Winning - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/shadowland-introduction/610840/
okaydo

AunBear89
Such charming people. Hope none of them get sick...

(Trumptard morons)
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearChemist
"What a ridiculous post!!" (in squeaky GB4L voice)
bearister
What is the official tRump Administration response to this testimony?

Rick Bright:

Congressman, I will never forget the e-mails I received from Mike Bowen indicating that our mask supply, our N95 respirator supply was was completely decimated.

And he said: We're in deep (EXPLETIVE DELETED). The world is. And we need to act.

And I pushed that forward to the highest levels I could in HHS, and got no response.
BearNIt
The Lancet puts out an editorial:

Editorial| Volume 395, ISSUE 10236, P1521, May 16, 2020

The COVID-19 pandemic continues to worsen in the USA with 13 million cases and an estimated death toll of 80 684 as of May 12. States that were initially the hardest hit, such as New York and New Jersey, have decelerated the rate of infections and deaths after the implementation of 2 months of lockdown. However, the emergence of new outbreaks in Minnesota, where the stay-at-home order is set to lift in mid-May, and Iowa, which did not enact any restrictions on movement or commerce, has prompted pointed new questions about the inconsistent and incoherent national response to the COVID-19 crisis.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the flagship agency for the nation's public health, has seen its role minimized and become an ineffective and nominal adviser in the response to contain the spread of the virus. The strained relationship between the CDC and the federal government was further laid bare when, according to The Washington Post, Deborah Birx, the head of the US COVID-19 Task Force and a former director of the CDC's Global HIV/AIDS Division, cast doubt on the CDC's COVID-19 mortality and case data by reportedly saying: "There is nothing from the CDC that I can trust". This is an unhelpful statement, but also a shocking indictment of an agency that was once regarded as the gold standard for global disease detection and control. How did an agency that was the first point of contact for many national health authorities facing a public health threat become so ill-prepared to protect the public's health?

In the decades following its founding in 1946, the CDC became a national pillar of public health and globally respected. It trained cadres of applied epidemiologists to be deployed in the USA and abroad. CDC scientists have helped to discover new viruses and develop accurate tests for them. CDC support was instrumental in helping WHO to eradicate smallpox. However, funding to the CDC for a long time has been subject to conservative politics that have increasingly eroded the agency's ability to mount effective, evidence-based public health responses. In the 1980s, the Reagan administration resisted providing the sufficient budget that the CDC needed to fight the HIV/AIDS crisis. The George W Bush administration put restrictions on global and domestic HIV prevention and reproductive health programming.

The Trump administration further chipped away at the CDC's capacity to combat infectious diseases. CDC staff in China were cut back with the last remaining CDC officer recalled home from the China CDC in July, 2019, leaving an intelligence vacuum when COVID-19 began to emerge. In a press conference on Feb 25, Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, warned US citizens to prepare for major disruptions to movement and everyday life. Messonnier subsequently no longer appeared at White House briefings on COVID-19. More recently, the Trump administration has questioned guidelines that the CDC has provided. These actions have undermined the CDC's leadership and its work during the COVID-19 pandemic.

There is no doubt that the CDC has made mistakes, especially on testing in the early stages of the pandemic. The agency was so convinced that it had contained the virus that it retained control of all diagnostic testing for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, but this was followed by the admission on Feb 12 that the CDC had developed faulty test kits. The USA is still nowhere near able to provide the basic surveillance or laboratory testing infrastructure needed to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
But punishing the agency by marginalizing and hobbling it is not the solution. The Administration is obsessed with magic bullet vaccines, new medicines, or a hope that the virus will simply disappear. But only a steadfast reliance on basic public health principles, like test, trace, and isolate, will see the emergency brought to an end, and this requires an effective national public health agency. The CDC needs a director who can provide leadership without the threat of being silenced and who has the technical capacity to lead today's complicated effort.

The Trump administration's further erosion of the CDC will harm global cooperation in science and public health, as it is trying to do by defunding WHO. A strong CDC is needed to respond to public health threats, both domestic and international, and to help prevent the next inevitable pandemic. Americans must put a president in the White House come January 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics.
[url=https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31140-5/fulltext#][/url]

Big C
bearister said:

What is the official tRump Administration response to this testimony?

Rick Bright:

Congressman, I will never forget the e-mails I received from Mike Bowen indicating that our mask supply, our N95 respirator supply was was completely decimated.

And he said: We're in deep (EXPLETIVE DELETED). The world is. And we need to act.

And I pushed that forward to the highest levels I could in HHS, and got no response.

Choose from the following...

"Obviously a disgruntled employee who has an axe to grind."

"This is a guy who we couldn't even get to show up for work."

"Rick 'Notso' Bright is a loser."

"Here's a photo of him and Obama growing up in Kenya."

"Congress should investigate his ties to China."

"We've tested more people than any other country in the world!"

okaydo

bearister
I was watching the news tonight and noticed that the non zombie affiliates of the Administration are all wearing masks, the reason being that those not susceptible to being bullied by tRump know that the White House is COVID 19 Petrie Dish Central.

That being, the case, POTUS should be wearing a mask at all times. As a natural 185 pounder (zero muscle mass), he is 75 to 100 pounds overweight. He cannot get through a speech without snorting due to lack of oxygen. He struggles walking up or down the stairs to Air Force One. If he gets COVID 19 he will drop in his tracks like a diseased elephant.
Captain Bone Spurs has already established himself as a coward. What is fascinating is that he has a characteristic that Trumps his cowardice...vanity. He knows that if he wears a mask that the straps will mess up his pomaded hairdo and the heat generated by the mask will f@uck up his orange spray tan and make him look like a melting wax museum monster. You kind of have to respect his priorities.
My guess Is that by the Election he will be the star attraction at an ill attended State funeral, UNLESS HE STARTS WEARING A MASK AND PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING.
bearister
Pandemic planning becomes political weapon as deaths mount

https://apnews.com/95f4b1ce45413f5e6b162221a456894a
bearister
Trump's top health officials seen but not heard as coronavirus focus shifts

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/16/coronavirus-health-experts-birx-fauci-trump?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
bearister
Faced with an appalling US coronavirus death toll, the right denies the figures

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/coronavirus-death-toll-right-denies-figures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Go!Bears
bearister said:

My guess Is that by the Election he will be the star attraction at an ill attended State funeral, UNLESS HE STARTS WEARING A MASK AND PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING.
I'm guessing his press secretary will be announcing it was the largest crowd ever.
BearNIt
bearister said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/coronavirus-death-toll-right-denies-figures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
I had a clerk at work start spouting this narrative by saying that if you died in an auto accident and it was later discovered that you were positive for COVID 19 that the death would be reclassified as a COVID 19 death. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded and told tell them that if you die of COVID 19 and its complications, it is classified as a COVID 19 death. Misinformation like this is dangerous and serves no purpose but to muddy the waters to the benefit of those who wish to substitute fiction for fact in furtherance of some deluded purpose.
bearister
BearNIt said:

bearister said:

I had a clerk at work start spouting this narrative by saying that if you died in an auto accident and it was later discovered that you were positive for COVID 19 that the death would be reclassified as a COVID 19 death. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded and told tell them that if you die of COVID 19 and its complications, it is classified as a COVID 19 death. Misinformation like this is dangerous and serves no purpose but to muddy the waters to the benefit of those who wish to substitute fiction for fact in furtherance of some deluded purpose.

Well, then I guess when Texans start having their summer BBQ's and several of their fat f@uck buddies are absent because they bought the marble orchard, they will write it off as a bad case of the vapors or a Deep State poisoning.

Coronavirus in Texas: State reports highest number of cases in one day | The Texas Tribune

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/16/coronavirus-updates-texas/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2020/05/16/coronavirus-updates-texas/amp/

You also have to ask yourself this question: If when we emerge from the scourge of this pandemic we pull up several thousand Texans short, will you be able to gird your loins and persevere? I will do my best.*

*Have you ever been in a foreign country when a bunch of Texans come in to the establishment? From that point forward I speak in my best Irish accent to my hosts.
bearister

"....The U.S. right long ago rejected evidence-based policy in favor of policy-based evidence denying facts that might get in the way of a predetermined agenda.

....As many people have pointed out, the emerging right-wing strategy for dealing with this pandemic or, more accurately, not dealing with it closely follows the Republican Party's longstanding approach to climate change: It's not happening, it's a hoax perpetrated by liberal scientists, and besides, doing anything about it would destroy the economy.

....But the G.O.P. doesn't like experts, and it doesn't have policy ideas beyond tax cuts and deregulation. So it doesn't know how to respond to crises that don't fit its usual agenda. Trump, in particular, can do policy theater sending Jared Kushner out to make noises about dealing with problems but has no idea how to do it for real.

And I think that at some level he knows that.

....Given this sense of inadequacy, it was probably foreordained that Trump and his allies, after a brief period of seeming to take Covid-19 seriously, would pivot back to insisting that everything is fine. And they may, for a while, even convince some voters. But the coronavirus, which doesn't care about political spin, will have the last word."

Covid-19 Reality Has a Liberal Bias

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/opinion/trump-covid-experts.html
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/opinion/trump-covid-experts.amp.html
BearNIt
This is what happens when you ignore the science:

Coronavirus: Hospitals in Brazil's So Paulo 'near collapse'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52701524
smh

Vox Article today..
> Title: The president's job is to manage risk. But Trump is the risk.
> sub: Trump was a gamble. It's not paying off.
By Ezra Klein May 18 2020 7 am

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/18/21251370/donald-trump-risk-coronavirus-2020-reelection-nuclear-china
Quote:

A few months ago, I had dinner with a friend who argued that it was time to rethink Donald Trump's presidency. After all, the economy was fine, we hadn't ended up in a nuclear war, and the tough posture toward China was paying some trade dividends. Maybe the madman routine was working. Maybe it really was just a routine, and Trump was managing the presidency well enough. Wasn't it time for critics like me to rethink their most dire warnings? Wasn't it time to admit we'd gotten him wrong?

There were, even then, obvious rebuttals, and I made some of them. The lethal mismanagement of the Hurricane Maria response, for instance. But there was a power to the argument. The worst hadn't happened. Didn't that require a reckoning?

And then the novel coronavirus came, and President Trump did nothing for week after week, month after month. We sit, still, in the void where a plan should be, forced to choose between endless lockdown and reckless reopening because the federal government has not charted a middle path. Instead, we wake to presidential tweets demanding the "liberation" of states, and laugh to keep from crying when the most powerful man in the world suggests we study the injection of disinfectants. Trump has let disaster metastasize into calamity.

The feared collision of global crisis and presidential recklessness has come, and it is not close to over..

~ ~ ~

In electing him president, however, we have taken a tremendous risk, and it isn't paying off. Right now, the Trump administration is flailing in its health and economic response to a pandemic ravaging our society. The country's chief risk officer failed, largely because the country hired someone who didn't want to do that job. Maybe, next time, we should hire someone who does.

<end>
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
NYCGOBEARS
smh said:

Vox Article today..
> Title: The president's job is to manage risk. But Trump is the risk.
> sub: Trump was a gamble. It's not paying off.
By Ezra Klein May 18 2020 7 am

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/18/21251370/donald-trump-risk-coronavirus-2020-reelection-nuclear-china
Quote:

A few months ago, I had dinner with a friend who argued that it was time to rethink Donald Trump's presidency. After all, the economy was fine, we hadn't ended up in a nuclear war, and the tough posture toward China was paying some trade dividends. Maybe the madman routine was working. Maybe it really was just a routine, and Trump was managing the presidency well enough. Wasn't it time for critics like me to rethink their most dire warnings? Wasn't it time to admit we'd gotten him wrong?

There were, even then, obvious rebuttals, and I made some of them. The lethal mismanagement of the Hurricane Maria response, for instance. But there was a power to the argument. The worst hadn't happened. Didn't that require a reckoning?

And then the novel coronavirus came, and President Trump did nothing for week after week, month after month. We sit, still, in the void where a plan should be, forced to choose between endless lockdown and reckless reopening because the federal government has not charted a middle path. Instead, we wake to presidential tweets demanding the "liberation" of states, and laugh to keep from crying when the most powerful man in the world suggests we study the injection of disinfectants. Trump has let disaster metastasize into calamity.

The feared collision of global crisis and presidential recklessness has come, and it is not close to over
.. .. ..
<trailing bit>
In electing him president, however, we have taken a tremendous risk, and it isn't paying off. Right now, the Trump administration is flailing in its health and economic response to a pandemic ravaging our society. The country's chief risk officer failed, largely because the country hired someone who didn't want to do that job. Maybe, next time, we should hire someone who does.

Ezra Klein is one of my favorite people to follow. I highly recommend his podcast. It's brilliant.
smh
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYN3QvsWsAADsC6?format=jpg&name=large

bearister
Donald J. tRump, Statesman Extraordinaire

B.A. Bearacus
Even the Republican posters on here can agree that they hope that the president isn't lying to Americans about personally taking hydroxychloroquine, though he probably is.

Unit2Sucks
B.A. Bearacus said:

Even the Republican posters on here can agree that they hope that the president isn't lying to Americans about personally taking hydroxychloroquine, though he probably is.

Let me know when he starts injecting bleach.
calbear93
B.A. Bearacus said:

Maybe he contracted malaria when he served bravely in Vietnam.
smh
B.A. Bearacus said:

whatever, but back in the day up to (i forget stuff) half a million american guests stationed in RVN were supposed to take our same-same daily malaria pill with breakfast.
# no biggie
bearister
calbear93 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

I'm pretty sure Ben Gay and a heating pad is all you need for bone spurs.
No way is he taking it, he is simply trying to shore up the stock because his Crime Family took aggressive positions in the company that makes the drug.

NYCGOBEARS
bearister said:

calbear93 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

No way is he taking it, he is simply trying to shore up the stock because his Crime Family took aggressive positions in the company that makes the drug.

My empathy does not extend to his followers. This is war, not a mere difference of opinion. I hope they take it. Tons of it.
calbear93
NYCGOBEARS said:

bearister said:

calbear93 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

My empathy does not extend to his followers. This is war, not a mere difference of opinion. I hope they take it. Tons of it.
If you really believe that (which I don't think you do), then you have become what you claim is the problem with his followers- hateful people who marginalize and vilify other human beings to the extent that their lives have no value. I strongly disagree with his followers and am disgusted by the blind hate some of them demonstrate, but I feel the same way about the hate that comes from just as many from the other side.
calbear93
bearister said:

calbear93 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Crap. I went all in on the manufacture of forsythia. Last time I watch stupid documentary like "Contagion".
bearister
Here is another way tRump's distain for science, his lack of leadership and his refusal to set a good example by his own conduct has needlessly harmed many Americans:

"80% of a closed population were to don a mask, COVID-19 infection rates would statistically drop to approximately one twelfth the number of infectionscompared to a live-virus population in which no one wore masks."

If 80% of Americans Wore Masks, COVID-19 Infections Would Plummet, New Study Says | Vanity Fair

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says?mbid=social_twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=vf&utm_source=twitter
AunBear89
False equivalency alert!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
Even a Trumpkin can see the light. Unfortunately, it takes he and his wife actually catching the disease and being hospitalized and the wife's condition not improving.

https://apple.news/AIG0xNKNhR2uw4dxGhMGnOQ
dimitrig
AunBear89 said:

Even a Trumpkin can see the light. Unfortunately, it takes he and his wife actually catching the disease and being hospitalized and the wife's condition not improving.

https://apple.news/AIG0xNKNhR2uw4dxGhMGnOQ

This guy was an overweight rideshare driver who didn't wear a mask.

How many people did he get sick?
AunBear89
Not important. FREEDOM!

/s

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.