Coronavirus vs Trump

228,953 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
chazzed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Krugman Is A Moron
bearister said:

"I'll bet no future President will ever hang Trump's portrait in the White House. It will be impossible to shower even false praise on the most vile of men. His Presidency will be like Chernobyl. Something to be sealed off. A poison to be contained." Steve Schmidt

Greta Van Susteren broke Steve Schmidt today. Good. **** that guy.

"Yogi is right" - Oaktown Bear
sycasey
I don't think Schmidt seems "broken" here at all. He's always like that.
Big C

Boy, oh boy did the White House screw up big time on COVID prevention within their sacred walls. We know they aren't big on masks, but apparently their only line of defense was tests, relying on the Abbott Labs rapid-results tests. Problem is, it is designed to test for SARS-CoV-2 for people who have been showing symptoms from between 1-7 days. The White House I guess was using it as their sole gatekeeper both for people who work there and also for people coming in from the outside on a one-time-only. Does it reveal asymptomatics and pre-symptomatics? Well, kind of, sort of!

Dr. Ashish Jha (Brown, formerly of Harvard) said: They seemingly did not have a fundamental understanding of how these tests work or are supposed to be used.

I wonder who was in charge of keeping people at the White House COVID-free. Not surprised at the incompetence, I suppose, but wow, just wow: You'd think they'd want to protect themselves.
AunBear89
" I wonder who was in charge of keeping people at the White House COVID-free. "

The leader of the Corona Task Force. This guy...

What could possibly go wrong?
dimitrig
AunBear89 said:

What motive would he have to want to kill the POTUS? There's nothing in it for him...

bearister
dimitrig said:

AunBear89 said:

What motive would he have to want to kill the POTUS? There's nothing in it for him...

Mother may have told him God has a Plan for him and it involves the Antichrist going cough, cough, Ouch, Ouch, thud.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
" The ousted director of the office involved in developing a coronavirus vaccine has quit his post at the National Institutes of Health, charging that the Trump administration "ignores scientific expertise, overrules public health guidance and disrespects career scientists".

Top US immunologist quits health role over Trump Covid response

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/07/top-us-immunologist-quits-health-role-over-trump-covid-response-rick-bright?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
smh
bearister said:

" The ousted director of the office involved in developing a coronavirus vaccine has quit his post at the National Institutes of Health, charging that the Trump administration "ignores scientific expertise, overrules public health guidance and disrespects career scientists".
lede of his wikipedia page snipped for timeline breakout..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Bright
Quote:

Rick Arthur Bright is an American immunologist, vaccine researcher, former public health official, and whistleblower. He was the director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) from 2016 to 2020.

In May 2020 he filed a whistleblower complaint, alleging that his early warnings about the COVID-19 pandemic were ignored by the Trump administration and illegally retaliated against him by ousting him from his role and demoting him to a position at the National Institutes of Health.

On October 6, 2020 Bright resigned from the government, citing Trump administration political interference with science agencies.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
concordtom
Has this seen the light of day on BI yet?
It could happen!

bearister
The onset of winter will make the coronavirus pandemic even worse - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-economic-impact-winter-3025c181-2035-4a44-9f74-5b56926e624e.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
bearister
Why the White House coronavirus testing strategy was flawed - Axios

https://www.axios.com/white-house-outbreak-coronavirus-testing-61cc7daf-0020-40da-a71e-7aa98764ed15.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

Big C
bearister said:

Why the White House coronavirus testing strategy was flawed - Axios

https://www.axios.com/white-house-outbreak-coronavirus-testing-61cc7daf-0020-40da-a71e-7aa98764ed15.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

Not to nitpick, Peter Baker, but I don't think you are using the word "casualty" correctly. Okay, I have heard it used in place of "fatality" before, in some contexts. However, you are citing fatalities of our wars and, for those statistics, the word casualty always refers to deaths + serious injuries or anything that makes a soldier no longer able to fight.

You're welcome.
B.A. Bearacus
Video is two minutes long (just jump ahead as desired).

bearister
Covid-19 Reinfection Documented in Nevada Adds to Questions on Virus Immunity

https://apple.news/Avl03tRTpRBO29kOWnDUacw

bearister
"Don McNeil, a New York Times science and health reporter whose beat is "plagues and pestilences," has been one of the most essential voices on the coronavirus. Now, he's out with "A Dose of Optimism, as the Pandemic Rages On," about the arrival of the "medical cavalry" (runs on Page D4 of today's paper!):

Since January, when I began covering the pandemic, I have been a consistently gloomy Cassandra, reporting on the catastrophe that experts saw coming ...

Here's the key paragraph: "Events have moved faster than I thought possible. I have become cautiously optimistic. Experts are saying, with genuine confidence, that the pandemic in the United States will be over far sooner than they expected, possibly by the middle of next year."

Already the United States is faring much better than it did during the [1918 pandemic, which took] 675,000 lives. The country's population at the time was 103 million, so that toll is equivalent to 2 million dead today. ...
Operation Warp Speed the government's agreement to subsidize vaccine companies' clinical trials and manufacturing costs appears to have been working with remarkable efficiency." Axios

dimitrig
bearister said:

"Don McNeil, a New York Times science and health reporter whose beat is "plagues and pestilences," has been one of the most essential voices on the coronavirus. Now, he's out with "A Dose of Optimism, as the Pandemic Rages On," about the arrival of the "medical cavalry" (runs on Page D4 of today's paper!):

Since January, when I began covering the pandemic, I have been a consistently gloomy Cassandra, reporting on the catastrophe that experts saw coming ...

Here's the key paragraph: "Events have moved faster than I thought possible. I have become cautiously optimistic. Experts are saying, with genuine confidence, that the pandemic in the United States will be over far sooner than they expected, possibly by the middle of next year."

Already the United States is faring much better than it did during the [1918 pandemic, which took] 675,000 lives. The country's population at the time was 103 million, so that toll is equivalent to 2 million dead today. ...
Operation Warp Speed the government's agreement to subsidize vaccine companies' clinical trials and manufacturing costs appears to have been working with remarkable efficiency." Axios
The reality is that the 1918 pandemic was much more deadly than COVID-19, not that we've really done anything any better. COVID-19 does not generally kill healthy young adults like the 1918 pandemic did.

82gradDLSdad
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

The reality is that the 1918 pandemic was much more deadly than COVID-19, not that we've really done anything any better. COVID-19 does not generally kill healthy young adults like the 1918 pandemic did.

I thought I was pessimistic. 100 years of medical advancement and we have not done anything better in this pandemic? Seems impossible.
dimitrig
82gradDLSdad said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

I thought I was pessimistic. 100 years of medical advancement and we have not done anything better in this pandemic? Seems impossible.

The medicine is a lot better, but people are still the same.
Unit2Sucks
dimitrig said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Maybe worse. We know better but still ignore best practices. We've chosen to fail.
BearNIt
The current Trump policy for COVID 19 is herd immunity. This is just freakin insane and will cost thousands of lives, especially with the number of positive cases rising in certain parts of the United States. Starting to see an increase in cases coming through the ED.
golden sloth
BearNIt said:

The current Trump policy for COVID 19 is herd immunity. This is just freakin insane and will cost thousands of lives, especially with the number of positive cases rising in certain parts of the United States. Starting to see an increase in cases coming through the ED.

I think I found Trump's new news strategy.

BearNIt
More positive cases means more hospitalizations, which means more deaths during the winter. We're still seeing +50,000 positive cases a day in the U.S. which is what we saw in July and August. Given the Administration's interference with the approval process for vaccines, people will be reluctant to take the vaccine when it appears. Also, let's not forget the reports of some trials being stopped due to serious side-effects.
B.A. Bearacus
Add Nature.

bearister
How colleges have learned to combat the coronavirus - Axios

https://www.axios.com/colleges-fighting-coronavirus-5e21b8e2-168d-469f-8c93-06b3f113ba27.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
bearister
Chris Christie says he was in ICU for 7 days battling Covid-19, urges Americans to wear masks

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/chris-christie-says-he-was-icu-7-days-battling-covid-n1243589
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

Chris Christie says he was in ICU for 7 days battling Covid-19, urges Americans to wear masks

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/chris-christie-says-he-was-icu-7-days-battling-covid-n1243589

"... urges Americans to wear masks and stay within 100 lbs of healthy body weight".

Fify
B.A. Bearacus

sycasey
B.A. Bearacus said:

Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Maybe worse. We know better but still ignore best practices. We've chosen to fail.

So true. This is what really pisses me off. I really want to get my kids back in school, but it's being held up by some of my fellow Americans who are either some combination of ignorant/stupid/stubborn, or just lacking in discipline.

Trump says people are tired of hearing about the coronavirus. Well, yeah, who wouldn't be? So show some effing leadership and explain why we need to hang in there and inspire us to do so! (Like Trump is going to read this and say, "Okay, good idea!". We need this b****** out of there! He is just pathetic and a menace to society.)
B.A. Bearacus

Unit2Sucks
B.A. Bearacus said:

I can't believe anyone at this point would be naive enough to believe Trump cares about the public health or safety of Americans. It's not only that he's a sociopath, it's just that somehow he hasn't become convinced that having people not die is actually good for him, the way that he seems to understand that the Dow being high is good for him. It's a shame none of the people that work for him have managed to convince him that keeping people alive is good for his ratings.
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus

bearister
If Biden, by chance, wins the election...

"All I got was this sh@itty hat and Corona virus."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.