Coronavirus vs Trump

228,847 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
82gradDLSdad said:

What I've come to resent is those at the top of these companies have jacked up their compensation at the expense of middle of the pack workers. That is not good for our society. I haven't seen anyone explain the good in this to my satisfaction. To me it's unbridled greed. Again, not good for our society.
swiped from simple.wikipedia entre "eat the rich"..
Quote:

People often say that this phrase came from French philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau: "Quand les pauvres n'auront plus rien manger, ils mangeront les riches!" (When the poor have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich!)

This saying is used by people who are radical or anti-capitalist to show that they hate rich people. This phrase was used more at the beginning of the 21st century because of increasing income inequality.

Pop culture
The phrase Eat the Rich is used in pop culture. It expresses rebellion against the wealthy and powerful.

There's a memorable 2014 politico story by very well off filthy rich Joseph Stiglitz, subtitled "pitchforks"
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014.html

Quote:

. If we don't do something to fix the glaring inequities in this economy, the pitchforks are going to come for us. No society can sustain this kind of rising inequality. In fact, there is no example in human history where wealth accumulated like this and the pitchforks didn't eventually come out. You show me a highly unequal society, and I will show you a police state. Or an uprising. There are no counterexamples. None. It's not if, it's when..

Dear 1%ers, many of our fellow citizens are starting to believe that capitalism itself is the problem. I disagree, and I'm sure you do too. Capitalism, when well managed, is the greatest social technology ever invented to create prosperity in human societies. But capitalism left unchecked tends toward concentration and collapse. It can be managed either to benefit the few in the near term or the many in the long term. The work of democracies is to bend it to the latter. That is why investments in the middle class work. And tax breaks for rich people like us don't. Balancing the power of workers and billionaires by raising the minimum wage isn't bad for capitalism. It's an indispensable tool smart capitalists use to make capitalism stable and sustainable. And no one has a bigger stake in that than zillionaires like us.
very late add, apparently this pitch-forker was World Bank's Chief Economist from 1997 to 2000.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

"serve on boards for fun". GE board members get a minimum of $275,000 per year. What fun. And you can serve on many because the work is so hard. Rigged.

Sorry, but being a director is not easy. And if you think someone who has made as much as Culp is motivated by $275k, you are not dealing with how these people think. And you really won't serve on that many boards because of overboarding policies at most company's corporate governance guidelines and voting guidelines by institutional investors.

I have to say, it seems like many people who really don't know how these things work make assumptions and just hate. Having worked with many excellent leaders, I don't envy what they get. No one is stopping anyone else from accomplishing enough that companies want to pay them the same.

I realize I'm coming across as envious and hateful. I don't mean too. I know many of these folks are talented. I always felt fortunate to have a reasonable career as an IT professional with the phone company. They paid me well enough to live, raise a family and retire in the bay area (Bay Point). What I've come to resent is those at the top of these companies have jacked up their compensation at the expense of middle of the pack workers. That is not good for our society. I haven't seen anyone explain the good in this to my satisfaction. To me it's unbridled greed. Again, not good for our society.
I get the sentiment but I think it does all come down to envy.

Here is why.

I have yet to see someone who feels this way say the same about themselves.

It is only those who make more than them that are making too much.

Have you ever looked at people who make much less than you and thought there should be a cap on what you make since you are not really worth this much? Do you think you were that much more valuable than someone cleaning your office or making your food? Why did you get to make enough to raise a family and retire in the Bay Area? Why should you make that much more than someone working at McDonalds? If someone posed that to you, what would you think? Would you think, well, I went to school, I worked hard, earned my way up the ladder, etc. Or would you say that you were paid way more than you were worth and the system should have paid you something comparable to the cashier at McDonald's?

So, why were you paid more than some, in some case, much much more than some?

And what stopped you from becoming a CEO? It isn't as if the compensation committee, the CHRO, etc. are just looking for ways to overpay anyone. Why not you? Why not me?

Why does LeBron make so much money? Is he really worth that much? How about Tom Brady? Isn't it because the market and demand are there? Should LeBron say, I want to make what the average person makes no matter what the market will bear?

Why are lawyers paid that much? Why are engineers paid that much?

Someone will always be able to say that. And if you think CEO's are overpaid,. you surely didn't choose not to be a CEO because you thought the pay was too much. Why didn't you become a CEO? Why didn't the person working at McDonalds become an IT professional so that he too could retire comfortably in the Bay Area?

As long as you are always looking up and thinking the guys above you (when no one stopped you from going up there too) are paid too much and taxed too little and never look at yourself and think you are paid too much and taxed too little, it is envy.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

"serve on boards for fun". GE board members get a minimum of $275,000 per year. What fun. And you can serve on many because the work is so hard. Rigged.

Sorry, but being a director is not easy. And if you think someone who has made as much as Culp is motivated by $275k, you are not dealing with how these people think. And you really won't serve on that many boards because of overboarding policies at most company's corporate governance guidelines and voting guidelines by institutional investors.

I have to say, it seems like many people who really don't know how these things work make assumptions and just hate. Having worked with many excellent leaders, I don't envy what they get. No one is stopping anyone else from accomplishing enough that companies want to pay them the same.

I realize I'm coming across as envious and hateful. I don't mean too. I know many of these folks are talented. I always felt fortunate to have a reasonable career as an IT professional with the phone company. They paid me well enough to live, raise a family and retire in the bay area (Bay Point). What I've come to resent is those at the top of these companies have jacked up their compensation at the expense of middle of the pack workers. That is not good for our society. I haven't seen anyone explain the good in this to my satisfaction. To me it's unbridled greed. Again, not good for our society.

Here is why.

Have you ever looked at people who make much less than you and thought there should be a cap on what you make since you are not really worth this much? Do you think you were that much more valuable than someone cleaning your office or making your food? Why did you get to make enough to raise a family and retire in the Bay Area? Why should you make that much more than someone working at McDonalds? If someone posed that to you, what would you think? Would you think, well, I went to school, I worked hard, earned my way up the ladder, etc. Or would you say that you were paid way more than you were worth and the system should have paid you something comparable to the cashier at McDonald's?

And what stopped you from becoming a CEO? It isn't as if the compensation committee, the CHRO, etc. are just looking for ways to overpay anyone. Why not you? Why not me?

Why does LeBron make so much money? Is he really worth that much? How about Tom Brady? Isn't it because the market and demand are there? Should LeBron say, I want to make what the average person makes no matter what the market will bear?

Someone will always be able to say that. And if you think CEO's are overpaid,. you surely didn't choose not to be a CEO because you thought the pay was too much. Why didn't you become a CEO? Why didn't the person working at McDonalds become an IT professional so that he too could retire comfortably in the Bay Area?

As long as you are always looking up and thinking the guys above you (when no one stopped you from going up there too) are paid too much and taxed too little and never look at yourself and think you are paid too much and taxed too little, it is envy.

You're wrong. In my case. When I started with the phone company I often asked my colleague why they were giving us raises or bonuses or whatever. And we weren't making a lot. I was just making more than the minimum wage job I had come from. At the middle and end of my career I only got cost of living raises. I was perfectly fine with that because I was living within my means and making it. You know anything about Bay Point? Look it up. I've often been asked why I still live here. I live a modest life. I don't resent you calling me envious only because you have no idea about me. So I know you're just throwing out an internet gernade. I'm always amazed at the folks who dig in and try to justify why we are better off with CEOs who make hundreds of millions of dollars while there are so many people, who work, just scraping along. Amazing. Enjoy your day.
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Here is why.

You're wrong. In my case. When I started with the phone company I often asked my colleague why they were giving us raises or bonuses or whatever. And we weren't making a lot. I was just making more than the minimum wage job I had come from. At the middle and end of my career I only got cost of living raises. I was perfectly fine with that because I was living within my means and making it. You know anything about Bay Point? Look it up. I've often been asked why I still live here. I live a modest life. I don't resent you calling me envious only because you have no idea about me. So I know you're just throwing out an internet gernade. I'm always amazed at the folks who dig in and try to justify why we are better off with CEOs who make hundreds of millions of dollars while there are so many people, who work, just scraping along. Amazing. Enjoy your day.
Couple of things:

1. Maybe you truly are the unicorn who does not envy but who actually wants income equality for all, no matter the skill level, effort, or sacrifice. If so, at least you are a true believer and not someone who just wants someone who has more to have less.

2. True. Not familiar with Bay Point.

3. Never said the world is better off with CEOs making hundreds of millions (and most CEOs don't make hundreds of millions). The world is better with not artificially deflating what the market will bear or social engineering to suppress price, competition, or demand/supply. If CEOs are getting paid that much, it is because there is a demand. There are a lot of people who in my subjective opinion don't deserve what they get. I don't care, because I pay only what I think something is worth, but I won't stop someone from paying something because I think they are paying too much. If someone is willing to pay, they must believe it is worth it. I don't think gold is worth it. I don't think most engineers in the Bay Area are worth it. Doesn't matter. I am not going to force my views to suppress market demand. I don't think someone who throws a football deserves $30 million a year to play 16 games. But someone else does. Everyone has the same chance to become a CEO. It takes brains, effort, talent, sacrifice. The same with being an NFL quarterback. So be it.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Here is why.

Couple of things:

1. Maybe you truly are the unicorn who does not envy but who actually wants income equality for all, no matter the skill level, effort, or sacrifice. If so, at least you are a true believer and not someone who just wants someone who has more to have less.

3. Never said the world is better off with CEOs making hundreds of millions (and most CEOs don't make hundreds of millions). The world is better with not artificially deflating what the market will bear or social engineering to suppress price, competition, or demand/supply. If CEOs are getting paid that much, it is because there is a demand. There are a lot of people who in my subjective opinion don't deserve what they get. I don't care, because I pay only what I think something is worth, but I won't stop someone from paying something because I think they are paying too much. If someone is willing to pay, they must believe it is worth it. I don't think gold is worth it. I don't think most engineers in the Bay Area are worth it. Doesn't matter. I am not going to force my views to suppress market demand. I don't think someone who throws a football deserves $30 million a year to play 16 games. But someone else does. Everyone has the same chance to become a CEO. It takes brains, effort, talent, sacrifice. The same with being an NFL quarterback. So be it.

You've misread my solution. A $30 million dollar CEO would only require that every other worker in the company be paid a wage based on some predetermined scale set by the government. If the company doesn't make enough to divy up the profits accordingly then they lower everyone's pay. That means people wouldn't get paid equally, for doing nothing (where on earth did you get that). It means the employees would share more equally in the profits and that the sharing wouldn't be in the control of upper management and the board. Seems fairer to me. And by the way, I don't benefit from this. I'm retired. I'd probably lose a bit as I am very dependent on investment income and that would most assuredly go down under my plan.
chazzed
Trump may completely foot the national guard bill for only two states:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/06/politics/trump-national-guard-coronavirus-texas-florida/
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Here is why.

Couple of things:

You've misread my solution. A $30 million dollar CEO would only require that every other worker in the company be paid a wage based on some predetermined scale set by the government. If the company doesn't make enough to divy up the profits accordingly then they lower everyone's pay. That means people wouldn't get paid equally, for doing nothing (where on earth did you get that). It means the employees would share more equally in the profits and that the sharing wouldn't be in the control of upper management and the board. Seems fairer to me. And by the way, I don't benefit from this. I'm retired. I'd probably lose a bit as I am very dependent on investment income and that would most assuredly go down under my plan.

Sorry, I have no idea how your plan would work in real life. The government says what the ratio of CEO and everyone else is? How? A ratio between CEO and the average salary? Median salary? Just US employees? Any adjustment for cost of living? Everyone else at the company gets paid the same? How about the CFO? Never mind. This is a silly discussion. Never will happen and I have no idea how a company with 200,000 employees with global workforce will implement something like this.
Go!Bears
calbear93 said:

Sorry, I have no idea how your plan would work in real life. The government says what the ratio of CEO and everyone else is? How? A ratio between CEO and the average salary? Median salary? Just US employees? Any adjustment for cost of living? Everyone else at the company gets paid the same? How about the CFO? Never mind. This is a silly discussion. Never will happen and I have no idea how a company with 200,000 employees with global workforce will implement something like this.
It's really not that complicated. Other countries have a much better handle on it than the US does. Germany would be an excellent model. CEO-Worker US 265, Germany 136 https://www.statista.com/statistics/424159/pay-gap-between-ceos-and-average-workers-in-world-by-country/
calbear93
Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

It's really not that complicated. Other countries have a much better handle on it than the US does. Germany would be an excellent model. CEO-Worker US 265, Germany 136 https://www.statista.com/statistics/424159/pay-gap-between-ceos-and-average-workers-in-world-by-country/

And how do you get there, especially when you are a global company with 50% of your workforce outside the US because 50% of your revenue is outside the US? If it's simple, please tell me what your expert advice is that has proven to work in your application. I'm sure Trump thinks everything is simple because he has no idea how things work. He thinks solving COVID-19 is easy while people who have to deal with it realize how hard it is. Please tell me how to implement that simple solution.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

And how do you get there, especially when you are a global company with 50% of your workforce outside the US because 50% of your revenue is outside the US? If it's simple, please tell me what your expert advice is that has proven to work in your application. I'm sure Trump thinks everything is simple because he has no idea how things work. He thinks solving COVID-19 is easy while people who have to deal with it realize how hard it is. Please tell me how to implement that simple solution.

Yah, it's a wild ass idea, the government setting guidelines on compensation. Nothing like the government setting guidelines on how much they'll take from your income in taxes.
bearister
I wonder if Nintendo feels like a war profiteer?

"Video game usage in the U.S. has skyrocketed during the pandemic, leading to record revenues and profits for gaming companies, Axios' Sara Fischer and Kyle Daly report.

Nintendo reported a whopping 428% increase in profits last quarter, driven largely by monster sales of its Switch console and its hit game "Animal Crossing."

The number of Americans who say they are playing video games more now specifically due to the pandemic is up 46% since late March, according to Nielsen Video Game Tracking.

Why it matters: Gaming has become both a key solo hobby for millions of people stuck at home and a social lifeline, letting people connect and compete with friends while remaining socially distant." Axios

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

Yah, it's a wild ass idea, the government setting guidelines on compensation. Nothing like the government setting guidelines on how much they'll take from your income in taxes.
Sure, since government sets tax rates based on their constitutional right to tax (16th amendment), we will extend that (or may reverse commerce clause) for government to restrict pay on CEOs and every other employees. And why not extend that to college tuition, smart phone prices, cable bill, electricity prices, milk prices, steak prices, etc. or anything else we think is overpriced or not worth the price. Makes sense. Government can tell us what we can make and what we will pay. What could go wrong with that.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

Sure, since government sets tax rates based on their constitutional right to tax (16th amendment), we will extend that (or may reverse commerce clause) for government to restrict pay on CEOs and every other employees. And why not extend that to college tuition, smart phone prices, cable bill, electricity prices, milk prices, steak prices, etc. or anything else we think is overpriced or not worth the price. Makes sense. Government can tell us what we can make and what we will pay. What could go wrong with that.

We're mostly there. Where you been.

#formerlibertarian
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

#formerlibertarian
We're mostly there where the federal government dictates setting cap on wages and prices? Under what constitutional authority? I think America as a whole needs a refresher course on how our government works and what our Constitution provides. I suspect most of the strange outrage (especially when it comes to freedom speech) comes from lack of knowledge from Americans on the core documents government who America is. That should be mandatory foundational training (with basic training on budgeting). for all Americans.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

#formerlibertarian
We're mostly there where the federal government dictates setting cap on wages and prices? Under what constitutional authority? I think America as a whole needs a refresher course on how our government works and what our Constitution provides. I suspect most of the strange outrage (especially when it comes to freedom speech) comes from lack of knowledge from Americans on the core documents government who America is. That should be mandatory foundational training (with basic training on budgeting). for all Americans.

You honestly think everything is above board given how much money flows to lifelong politicians from corporations?
calbear93
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

#formerlibertarian

You honestly think everything is above board given how much money flows to lifelong politicians from corporations?
Wait, what? You were at AT&T for how long, and you think the government has influence on how much is paid to executives? Have you been to a Compensation Committee meeting? If there is over-influence, it may be market practice and independent compensation consultant to the Committee, but most of the regulation (and I would wonder how any further control would be legal or constitutional - you know, like the federal police enforcing local laws) is through disclosure, whether on say on pay, vote by institutional investors (who own almost all of the shares, with retail only being very small) or disclosure on compensation committee interlock, but the main conflict the are trying to prevent is conflict of interest between compensation committee and management.

I am sorry I continue to extend this discussion, because it seems like you are not very familiar with how executive compensation works and who sets it., much less how our constitution works.

You can be angry that CEOs make so much money, but you should at least inform yourself on the governance aspect of this.
smh
> And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
> Everybody knows that it's moving fast..

bearister
Woodstock for drunk fat f@uck tRump supporters. What can go wrong?

'It's just madness': bikers throng South Dakota town despite Covid threat

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/07/south-dakota-bikers-rally-coronavirus-pandemic?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Krugman Is A Moron
smh
> Brian Lewis

MP - me like, muy gusto, skol. signed, cat persons r us
Krugman Is A Moron
Dr. Lee has my vote for President if he decides to run.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

#formerlibertarian

Wait, what? You were at AT&T for how long, and you think the government has influence on how much is paid to executives? Have you been to a Compensation Committee meeting? If there is over-influence, it may be market practice and independent compensation consultant to the Committee, but most of the regulation (and I would wonder how any further control would be legal or constitutional - you know, like the federal police enforcing local laws) is through disclosure, whether on say on pay, vote by institutional investors (who own almost all of the shares, with retail only being very small) or disclosure on compensation committee interlock, but the main conflict the are trying to prevent is conflict of interest between compensation committee and management.

I am sorry I continue to extend this discussion, because it seems like you are not very familiar with how executive compensation works and who sets it., much less how our constitution works.

You can be angry that CEOs make so much money, but you should at least inform yourself on the governance aspect of this.

I know what you're saying. We're on different paths though now. Be well.
Go!Bears
calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

Nice straw man. I never said it would be easy. I once replaced the valves on a VW type-1. Had to drop the engine, disassemble it, get new valves, put it back together and reconnect the engine. It wasn't easy. It wasn't simple. But it wasn't complicated.

First step is you have to want to get there. From there it is not complicated. I don't really have the time or inclination to educate you, since it is pretty clear you seem to think you know everything. If you were truly interested, here's a simple introduction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_model#:~:text=The%20term%20German%20model%20is,and%20industrial%20sectors%20to%20cultivate) They have better unions, better tax policy, better trade policy. But for me, a big part of it is having worker representation on the Boards of Directors. Btw, last time I checked, Germany had some pretty successful international businesses.
calbear93
Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

Nice straw man. I never said it would be easy. I once replaced the valves on a VW type-1. Had to drop the engine, disassemble it, get new valves, put it back together and reconnect the engine. It wasn't easy. It wasn't simple. But it wasn't complicated.

First step is you have to want to get there. From there it is not complicated. I don't really have the time or inclination to educate you, since it is pretty clear you seem to think you know everything. If you were truly interested, here's a simple introduction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_model#:~:text=The%20term%20German%20model%20is,and%20industrial%20sectors%20to%20cultivate) They have better unions, better tax policy, better trade policy. But for me, a big part of it is having worker representation on the Boards of Directors. Btw, last time I checked, Germany had some pretty successful international businesses.

Nice straw man. I am for eliminating world hunger, eliminating poverty, giving a billion dollars to everyone and eternal world peace. I never said it was easy. One time, I studied really hard for my linear algebra finals and aced it. You just have to want to do it. Just don't bother with silly things like how, you negative downer.

Let me ask you. I actually used to attend board meetings and advise boards all the time, worked with compensation committees on executive compensation, and actually studied the constitution, but I will take your word for it since you really seem knowledgeable on this matter. Have you been to a board meeting and seen how much confidential and strategic matters are squeezed in to the agenda? Arguing with workers will be real productive.

The ego of some people who have absolutely no real life knowledge or experience trying to act like they are experts and have the solution because they read an article. Trump is not the exception, but seems to reflect the mentality of average Americans who are just deluded wanna be experts. Everything seems simple to those who have no real experience.
AunBear89
Such a smug little know it all. AND a raging hypocrite.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

Go!Bears said:

calbear93 said:

Nice straw man. I am for eliminating world hunger, eliminating poverty, giving a billion dollars to everyone and eternal world peace. I never said it was easy. One time, I studied really hard for my linear algebra finals and aced it. You just have to want to do it. Just don't bother with silly things like how, you negative downer.

Let me ask you. I actually used to attend board meetings and advise boards all the time, worked with compensation committees on executive compensation, and actually studied the constitution, but I will take your word for it since you really seem knowledgeable on this matter. Have you been to a board meeting and seen how much confidential and strategic matters are squeezed in to the agenda? Arguing with workers will be real productive.

The ego of some people who have absolutely no real life knowledge or experience trying to act like they are experts and have the solution because they read an article. Trump is not the exception, but seems to reflect the mentality of average Americans who are just deluded wanna be experts. Everything seems simple to those who have no real experience.

You are too knowledgeable about how the current system actually works. And I mean that in all sincerity. My suggestion is pie in the sky and will probably never be implemented. But the current compensation system is mostly rigged toward over compensating those at the top who make the rules and direct funds to those in the government who could change the rules. You're too close to it to see that it could be changed for the better: those at the top still making the vast majority of the money but the rest of the workers making a lot more so that they can buy a home, raise a family and retire. Like I did (and I don't know why compensation was different just 20 years ago). The phone company once paid almost everyone with decent skills and a decent work ethic enough to do all those things while still compensating the CEO handsomely. Right around the time of the SBC/PacBell merger things changed. The last CEO got something like a $230 million dollar severance package and his hand picked successor, Randall Stephenson, will end up with 10+ year compensation in the hundreds of millions of dollar range. While his compensation has skyrocketed most of the rest of the middle class salaries have stagnated. That's a fact. You call it constitutional and fair and throw up your hands and say it's too hard to change. I say it must change for the good of the country and it's going to take laws to change.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

Let me ask this: if it's so hard to have productive board meetings when management has to negotiate with worker representatives, how do the German companies manage to do it?
bearister
40% of people with coronavirus have no symptoms. Might they be the key to ending the pandemic? - Houston Chronicle

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/08/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-covid/
Go!Bears
He doesn't see it because he doesn't want to see it. He knows all there is to know. It is not possible that anyone, anywhere on this planet could have have a better idea. The way we do it is the only possible way it can be done. Deal with it.
Go!Bears

der Egoismus einiger Leute, die denken dass sie die einzige die etwas gelesen haben, oder etwas studiert haben. Unglaublich.
smh
Go!Bears said:

der Egoismus einiger Leute, die denken dass sie die einzige die etwas gelesen haben, oder etwas studiert haben. Unglaublich.
google translation (because by god country and tradition we only grok one language)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

> the selfishness of some people who think that they are the only ones who have read or studied something. Incredible.
bearister
If people gotta die, people gotta die. Follow the money.

"The City of Sturgis has calculated that the Rally brings over $800 million to South Dakota annually.[16] The City of Sturgis earned almost $270,000 in 2011 from selling event guides and sponsorships. The rally makes up 95% of the city's annual revenue." Wikipedia

dimitrig
bearister said:

If people gotta die, people gotta die. Follow the money.

"The City of Sturgis has calculated that the Rally brings over $800 million to South Dakota annually.[16] The City of Sturgis earned almost $270,000 in 2011 from selling event guides and sponsorships. The rally makes up 95% of the city's annual revenue." Wikipedia

$800 million?

Somehow, I doubt it. The Rose Parade and Rose Bowl together bring about $200M to Pasadena for comparison.

bearister
I agree. It seemed a bit rich to me too. They must sell a lot of merchandise.

Thousands of bikers descend on South Dakota town for 10-day Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8605731/Thousands-bikers-descend-South-Dakota-town-10-day-Sturgis-Motorcycle-Rally.html
dimitrig
bearister said:

I agree. It seemed a bit rich to me too. They must sell a lot of merchandise.

Thousands of bikers descend on South Dakota town for 10-day Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8605731/Thousands-bikers-descend-South-Dakota-town-10-day-Sturgis-Motorcycle-Rally.html

If 500,000 people attend maybe that is right. That is only $1600 each.

I did not realize it was so many people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.