Coronavirus vs Trump

237,049 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS said:

This right-winger posted this video yesterday and it has more than 1 million views to fuel the conspiracy that it's all a media creation.

FuzzyWuzzy
okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

If Trump had handled this like a BOSS ( in the eyes of those on the fence) he'd still have no shot. Crises are bad for the incumbent any way you slice it.

Dubya had a crisis and was re-elected despite being a dumbass and then had another crisis.

Serious question: What was bush's first crisis? Iraq? Was that a problem in 2004?
9/11

I wasn't even counting the Iraq War as a crisis. It just followed from 9/11.

I guess when I see the word "crisis," I see a word with a negative connotation. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall his handling of 9/11 being a big part of the 2004 presidential race. (Again, I may be wrong.)

I think of 9/11 as enhancing Bush.

If my memory serves me right, (and, again I could be wrong), I remember on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in 2011 Bush and Obama speaking at the World Trade Center. This was a few months after Osama Bin Laden was killed. Yet I remember Bush being universally cheered and Obama receiving at least some boos.

9/11 enhanced Bush in the eyes of the American public. He wasn't blamed for missing out on the terrorist attack. Just like, at least so far, Trump isn't being blamed on bungling the pandemic. (Although there is a lot of *vocal* evidence of Trump bungling this, which may hopefully ultimately hurt him.)

If Bush had taken the memo seriously and stopped 9/11 before it happened and never had a terrorist attack before the 2004 election, he'd probably look less heroic.

It may be Monday morning quarterbacking but there were numerous intelligence warnings that Al Qaeda was going to attack us in our own country and that it would involve multiple aircraft hijackings. Perhaps it did not affect the 2004 election because it came out later.

Then there is the unfortunate footage of the moment when W learned we were under attack. He was reading a story book to some school kids, probably with some difficulty, when an aide whispered news of the attack in his ear. If you look up "deer in headlights" in the dictionary, you'd probably see a picture of his face. The secret service then promptly got him on AF1 as they judged that to be the safest place to put the POTUS.

And then of course he started the Iraq War as a response to 9/11. His government basically lied to Congress to and to the American public to get it authorized. It cost us dearly in terms of American blood and treasure.

And then the Mission Accomplished fiasco.

So I don't think his response to 9/11 was admirable. Now, whether any of that hurt or helped in the 2004 election, I can't say I remember.
FuzzyWuzzy
Professor Henry Higgins said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

If Trump had handled this like a BOSS ( in the eyes of those on the fence) he'd still have no shot. Crises are bad for the incumbent any way you slice it.

Dubya had a crisis and was re-elected despite being a dumbass and then had another crisis.

Serious question: What was bush's first crisis? Iraq? Was that a problem in 2004?
9/11

I guess when I see the word "crisis," I see a word with a negative connotation. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall his handling of 9/11 being a big part of the 2004 presidential race. (Again, I may be wrong.)

If my memory serves me right, (and, again I could be wrong), I remember on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in 2011 Bush and Obama speaking at the World Trade Center. This was a few months after Osama Bin Laden was killed. Yet I remember Bush being universally cheered and Obama receiving at least some boos.

9/11 enhanced Bush in the eyes of the American public. He wasn't blamed for missing out on the terrorist attack. Just like, at least so far, Trump isn't being blamed on bungling the pandemic. (Although there is a lot of *vocal* evidence of Trump bungling this, which may hopefully ultimately hurt him.)

If Bush had taken the memo seriously and stopped 9/11 before it happened and never had a terrorist attack before the 2004 election, he'd probably look less heroic.
Yep. Bush was loved in 2004 for Iraq. And literally the whole election was about Iraq on both side.

And the hilarious thing is that once the Democrats got into power, all the stuff they complained about in 2004 stayed the same. Guantanemo still open. Soldiers still in Iraq and Afghanistan. Soliders in Syria. Drone attacks.

And yet they still wonder why people don't vote for them.
Honestly, Guantanamo and the drone attacks didn't bother me, and didn't stop me from voting for BO in 2012. We were fighting a war.

As for the soldiers in Iraq, BO pulled them out. And was criticized by the right for it. The R's conveniently forgot that the last status of forces agreement negotiated by W required them to withdraw, and the Iraqi government refused to negotiate a new one. Leaving our guys in country would have meant they would be subject to prosecution in Iraqi courts.

As for Afghanistan, what would you have done? Let the Taliban continue to harbor bin Laden and other terrorists?
Yogi04
FuzzyWuzzy said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

9/11

Yep. Bush was loved in 2004 for Iraq. And literally the whole election was about Iraq on both side.

And the hilarious thing is that once the Democrats got into power, all the stuff they complained about in 2004 stayed the same. Guantanemo still open. Soldiers still in Iraq and Afghanistan. Soliders in Syria. Drone attacks.

Honestly, Guantanamo and the drone attacks didn't bother me, and didn't stop me from voting for BO in 2012. We were fighting a war.

As for the soldiers in Iraq, BO pulled them out. And was criticized by the right for it. The R's conveniently forgot that the last status of forces agreement negotiated by W required them to withdraw, and the Iraqi government refused to negotiate a new one. Leaving our guys in country would have meant they would be subject to prosecution in Iraqi courts.

As for Afghanistan, what would you have done? Let the Taliban continue to harbor bin Laden and other terrorists?
All our activity in Afghanistan netted us exactly zero on bin Laden.

As for Republicans, they would literally criticize anything any Democratic president did unless it was Tulsi.
Big C

FuzzyWuzzy said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

9/11

As for Republicans, they would literally criticize anything any Democratic president did unless it was Tulsi.

Because she's hot!
GBear4Life
chazzed said:

It's simply unbelievable. You have a man that has led the worst response in the world, arguably. As a result, thousands of your citizens have died and many thousands more will perish. The man has decided it would be a good time to brag about ratings of his pressers conferences (which are replete with sobering facts). My god. My poor country.
Spare us
AunBear89
GBear4Life said:

chazzed said:

It's simply unbelievable. You have a man that has led the worst response in the world, arguably. As a result, thousands of your citizens have died and many thousands more will perish. The man has decided it would be a good time to brag about ratings of his pressers conferences (which are replete with sobering facts). My god. My poor country.
Spare us

Spare you what? What, exactly, do you dispute? Please enlighten us with a reasoned explanation and not some dope meme you found on some "patriot" website.

Maybe you object to the mention of "sobering facts" without also mentioning the slobbering sycophants as well?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
chazzed
The poster immediately above answered better than I did.
GBear4Life
AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

chazzed said:

Spare us

Spare you what? What, exactly, do you dispute? Please enlighten us with a reasoned explanation and not some dope meme you found on some "patriot" website.

Maybe you object to the mention of "sobering facts" without also mentioning the slobbering sycophants as well?
It was a tired, hyperbolic post bereft of facts or seriousness. Much like your post.

He's lashing out. The anger and resentment and bitterness and inability to cope with a Trump presidency leads to such posts. TDS needs a vaccine.
chazzed
No, the perfect Trump sycophant has a point. It's simply TDS. It should be obvious that the coronavirus response debacle is Obama's and/or the deep state's fault. If I were being objective, I would see that bragging about ratings is very presidential. At a time like this, we should watch out for our dear leader's feelings. I mean, we're forcing him to lie!

I'm so thankful for you being there to wake me up, beautiful sycophant.
GBear4Life
chazzed said:

No, the perfect Trump sycophant has a point. It's simply TDS. It should be obvious that the coronavirus response debacle is Obama's and/or the deep state's fault. If I were being objective, I would see that bragging about ratings is very presidential. At a time like this, we should watch out for our dear leader's feelings. I mean, we're forcing him to lie!

I'm so thankful for you being there to wake me up, beautiful sycophant.

I literally hold NONE of those views.
BearlyCareAnymore
GBear4Life said:

AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

chazzed said:

Spare us

It was a tired, hyperbolic post bereft of facts or seriousness. Much like your post.

He's lashing out. The anger and resentment and bitterness and inability to cope with a Trump presidency leads to such posts. TDS needs a vaccine.

And here we have another example of Trump Derangement Syndrome Derangement Syndrome
GBear4Life
OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

chazzed said:

Spare us

And here we have another example of Trump Derangement Syndrome Derangement Syndrome
Or is it Trump Derangement Syndrome Derangement Syndrome Derangement Disorder?
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

But but but China.

No one ever saw it coming.

It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle it will disappear.

AunBear89
GBear4Life said:

AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

chazzed said:

Spare us

So noted - ya got nothing. Bragging about press conference ratings and insulting governors that don't lick your arse are the height of presidential behavior. And here's a funny meme with a scarecrow...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
GBear4Life
AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

AunBear89 said:

GBear4Life said:

chazzed said:

Spare us

So noted - ya got nothing. Bragging about press conference ratings and insulting governors that don't lick your arse are the height of presidential behavior. And here's a funny meme with a scarecrow...
Again, I literally do not and have never said I hold that position. Good job tho!
bearister
okaydo

bearister
okaydo said:

He is also the evil twin brother of tRump's personal physician, Dr. Bornstein.

Willie Nelson's spokesperson has denied all allegations that the singer is the missing older brother of the doctors.

Unit2Sucks
HCQ was studied by the CDC as a therapy for SARS in 2005 and has been used extensively in China and other countries since January for COVID. I don't know whether it is as effective as we all hope, but it's not the province of one quack doctor. This is a well known, widespread off label usage.

A more recent study showed it to have some effectiveness as well, but again with a small sample size.
AunBear89
Trumps new BFF:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/europe/hungary-viktor-orban-powers-vote-intl/index.html
okaydo

going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
okaydo

BearChemist
BearChemist
Trump has been nudging MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell to run for office

Former crackhead who found 'redemption' through God stood in WH sucking trumpballs and advertising for his fraudulent pillow company. #MAGA
GBear4Life
BearChemist said:

Trump has been nudging MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell to run for office

Former crackhead who found 'redemption' through God stood in WH sucking trumpballs and advertising for his fraudulent pillow company. #MAGA
You guys can't make up your mind about this stuff
FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

okaydo said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

9/11

I asked if you would have handled Afghanistan differently but you didn't really answer. In afghanistan we were unsuccessful in capturing or killing OBL but we did flush him out of the mountains to a city in pak where he was eventually found and killed. We destroyed al qaeda training camps and bases where they were preparing for more terrorist attacks, eventually leading to the neutering of that group's ability to project terrorism to our shores. We unclenched the deathgrip the taliban had on much of the populace. Yes, Afghanistan is still one of the most F'ed up places on earth but given their harboring of terrorists hellbent on killing all of us im not sure what else we should have done. I generally agree with the bernie-trump doctrine of staying out of foreign wars. But sometimes it's in our best interest to take the fight to evil instead of waiting for it to cone to our shores. I don't think the choices were great but i do think the "dems" as you call them, and their military and national security experts, probably chose the best available option. Again what would you have done?
GBear4Life
Killing Bin Ladin was inconsequential except for our (somewhat rational) thirst for revenge. Terrorism is today what is today with or without Bin Ladin.
FuzzyWuzzy
GBear4Life said:

Killing Bin Ladin was inconsequential except for our (somewhat rational) thirst for revenge. Terrorism is today what is today with or without Bin Ladin.

Maybe, maybe not. But it felt good anyway. Sorta like winning big game when both teams suck
GBear4Life
FuzzyWuzzy said:

GBear4Life said:

Maybe, maybe not. But it felt good anyway. Sorta like winning big game when both teams suck
I think the Bin Ladin killing is covered much differently under this Prez
Bobodeluxe
Portions of the US military endorses deep state Librul conspiracies!

Great Leader, protect us from this hoax!
dimitrig
FuzzyWuzzy said:

I asked if you would have handled Afghanistan differently but you didn't really answer. In afghanistan we were unsuccessful in capturing or killing OBL but we did flush him out of the mountains to a city in pak where he was eventually found and killed. We destroyed al qaeda training camps and bases where they were preparing for more terrorist attacks, eventually leading to the neutering of that group's ability to project terrorism to our shores. We unclenched the deathgrip the taliban had on much of the populace. Yes, Afghanistan is still one of the most F'ed up places on earth but given their harboring of terrorists hellbent on killing all of us im not sure what else we should have done. I generally agree with the bernie-trump doctrine of staying out of foreign wars. But sometimes it's in our best interest to take the fight to evil instead of waiting for it to cone to our shores. I don't think the choices were great but i do think the "dems" as you call them, and their military and national security experts, probably chose the best available option. Again what would you have done?

The question wasn't directed to me but I would have used some of the military might we used in Iraq in Afghanistan instead. In particular, we should have had our own boots on the ground so that OBL didn't escape into Pakistan with the help of the ISI.That whole Tora Bora campaign was a tactical mistake.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.