Coronavirus vs Trump

228,622 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

This article from a few weeks back is very good.

It explains a lot.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/02/coronavirus-and-blindness-authoritarianism/606922/
It hasn't aged well though. China had a terrible start with the WuFlu, but they've done an excellent job managing its spread:

Unlike other nations, they didn't have the luxury of understanding the devastating potential of this viral epidemic, but once they saw the crisis unfurl in Wuhan, they've reacted well.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99c

Their authoritariansim (coupled with a national sense of civic duty) has actually helped them here, the centralized response has been successfully implemented. They've also managed to expand their capacity with the construction of 16 megawards in a matter of weeks.

Trump's speech was pretty good overall, at least given the low expectations and the "just the flu" mindset he has had. It sounds like he's got some good advice and has finally turned the corner, better late than never I suppose. His lackadaisical response to date has actually been very similar to those of nearly every other western leader, he's in the middle of that pack, a little better than Merkel, Johnson or Trudeau, who have been at least as pathetic.

Trump is indirectly blaming Europe and China, by closing all air travel from Europe, but at this point the cat is out of the bag in the US, with probably over10,000 cases domestically today, so he should also consider domestic air travel. Washington State has about the same or higher infection rate as say Spain or Sweden, and higher rates than many parts of Europe.

Trump should also have issued guidance for the prompt closure of the school system nationwide and other measures like church services and other social gatherings ahead of St Patrick's Day.
dajo9
"Trump's speech was pretty good overall"

Hahahahahaha
American Vermin
Yogi08
Cal88 said:

Their authoritariansim (coupled with a national sense of civic duty) has actually helped them here, the centralized response has been successfully implemented. They've also managed to expand their capacity with the construction of 16 megawards in a matter of weeks.
B.A. Bearacus
dajo9 said:

"Trump's speech was pretty good overall"

Hahahahahaha

B.A. Bearacus
Now that T has conveyed to the nation that this is actually not a hoax, FoxNews.com finally budges and decides to provide its viewers with some fact-based information. All top headlines are about CV (yesterday, I spotted only two CV -related headlines, both dealing with illegal immigration).

BearlyCareAnymore
oski003 said:

OaktownBear said:

oski003 said:

Both Kaiser Permanente and the Federally funded low income serving outpatient clinics that my wife works at have Coronavirus testing available.

Is my real life experience an anomaly?

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/alerts/p1/2019-novel-coronavirus-feb-2020
They've had the ability to test for awhile but the criteria that allows them to test has been extremely restrictive. We are only testing 1000 a day nationwide. Are you claiming that Kaiser or your wife's clinic are testing anyone that wants it as Trump said? At least until a couple of days ago they were only supposed to test those who had a known exposure. That was what health professionals have been complaining about.

"The novel coronavirus, which causes a disease known as COVID-19, is spreading from person to person in parts of the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention the potential public health threat posed by COVID-19 is very high. At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus as it is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States...."

"If you or a family member has traveled recently to an area of risk, or if you think you may have been exposed to the virus and have symptoms of respiratory illness, you should call the advice number on your Kaiser Permanente membership card for further instructions."

The above statements and my conversations with my wife lead me to believe that they would test anybody with a respiratory illness in a city that has had somebody infected with coronavirus.

Seems like your perception is an anomaly:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-top-expert-fauci-says-us-failing-in-testing-kits-2020-3

Quote:

"The system is not really geared to what we need right now what you are asking for," Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told House lawmakers. "The idea of anybody getting it easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we're not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we're not."

"That is a failing. It is a failing. Let's admit it,"
This is from today
prospeCt
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2020/01/06/can-intermittent-fasting-reset-your-immune-system/

okaydo
BearNIt
okaydo said:

This is why you don't pick a carnival barker or an ex-reality tv host as the leader of the free world. The man is incapable of distinguishing fact over fiction, truth versus a lie, and science versus bull***** His response is all we need to know about his ability to act in a crisis
sycasey
Trump won't even get HIMSELF tested, even though per the Fox News story above he's been in recent contact with someone who tested positive.

He really has no idea what's going on here.
okaydo
Cal88
This is not very helpful, calling this pandemic a "Trump catastrophe".

Fact is, there is absolutely nothing that Trump hasn't done that nearly every other western head of state hasn't done. It's not like Pelosi or Schumer have been clamoring for drastic proactive measures, or Newsom and Cuomo for that matter. And let's not mention Biden or Bernie.

What is Gavin Newsom's plan for the CA homeless, for the CA prison system and its 160,000 inmates? For the retirement homes? Why hasn't he suspended all schools yesterday?

The failure is across the board, all these people suck as leaders, their policy can be summarized as "well it's not here yet, no need to panic", with notes of "the CCP sucks!" xenophobia on the right and "let's not be racist about closing the borders" on the left (thanks Bernie).

And the MSM sucks even more, they are more interested in steering pointless partisanship than in really informing and educating the public: what were Korea and Singapore doing in order to turn the tide? What's really going on in Italy and how will this affect us? Why is it critical to be proactive, to err on the prudent side, and to implement drastic short-term social distancing measures?

For all this information and discourse you have to dig at the info from small independent sources who are doing the job the MSM has grossly failed at.
Unit2Sucks
I know it's hard to believe, but it's starting to seem like Trump never wanted people getting tested. Not sure how to square this with Golden One's fealty.

sycasey
Cal88 said:

No one is blaming Trump for the pandemic existing. They are (rightly) criticizing his poor response to it.

If other countries also had poor responses, so what? He's the President. The US government's response is on him.
bearister
sycasey said:

Trump won't even get HIMSELF tested, even though per the Fox News story above he's been in recent contact with someone who tested positive.

He really has no idea what's going on here.

Well, we know Melatonin and Barron are safe, the Restraining Order specifies 12 feet.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

No one is blaming Trump for the pandemic existing. They are (rightly) criticizing his poor response to it.

If other countries also had poor responses, so what? He's the President. The US government's response is on him.
I would also add: this is a thread clearly marked to talk about Trump in relation to Coronavirus. There is another "non political" thread (which to my surprise has largely remained so). So anyone who doesn't want to see posts talking about Trump's specific actions can easily migrate over to that one.
okaydo
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

Leaders make decisions. Like who to hire. Like this guy:

https://cspinet.org/news/cspi-urges-administration-not-appoint-dr-robert-redfield-history-scientific-misconduct-cdc

Leaders are also celebrated when they take decisive action in the midst of a crisis (see: Giuliani on 9/11).

bearister

In this hour of darkness I find comfort that Wunderkids like Jarvanka and Hope Hicks have such a steady and sturdy hand in guiding our country through troubled waters.*

*In an alternate universe where reality prevails and facts matter, I wouldn't let those 3 entitled nitwits make management decisions regarding a neighborhood lemonade stand.

What do you think now about the theory that we are supposed to respect and understand the concerns of those POS at tRump's rallies that imposed this Clownocracy on us?
sycasey
bearister said:

What do you think now about the theory that we are supposed to respect and understand the concerns of those POS at tRump's rallies that imposed this Clownocracy on us?
I think if they show a willingness to consider that Trump is unfit and that he shouldn't be re-elected, I will welcome them with open arms (though not a real hug -- social distancing and all).

If they're still on the Trump Train, then I'll simply hope to outnumber them.
bearister
I just now turned on Sean Hannity to see what millions of Americans base their beliefs and opinions on. I was fully committed to watching the entire show as my civic duty. 30 seconds in...bearister out!
okaydo
NBC News chief foreign correspondent:

NBC News paid her $69 million for less than 2 years of work:

okaydo

dimitrig
okaydo said:

Too bad we don't have Ben Franklin as President.
okaydo
I didn't watch President Trump's address. But I keep reading how bad it was, and how it might be his worst yet. Is it that bad?
bearister
okaydo said:

I didn't watch President Trump's address. But I keep reading how bad it was, and how it might be his worst yet. Is it that bad?

Inside Trump?s failed 10-minute attempt to control the coronavirus crisis - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-coronavirus-teleprompter-speech/2020/03/12/81bc8a3a-647a-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html
bearister
okaydo said:

I have enormous respect for Richard Engel. His book on the Middle East is compelling. Some say he was one of the few Americans that stayed in Baghdad when the US started the invasion. That Bro has walked the walk.
bearister
okaydo
bearister said:

okaydo said:

I have enormous respect for Richard Engel. His book on the Middle East is compelling. Some say he was one of the few Americans that stayed in Baghdad when the US started the invasion. That Bro has walked the walk.

Yes, which is why that tweet is so baffling.
bearister
okaydo said:

bearister said:

okaydo said:

Well the truth is probably somewhere in the middle but tilting away from tRump's side. I think it overlooks the indisputable fact that tRump, his Crime Family, and some of his reality show caliber posse members truly are as incompetent as his most partisan critics believe.

Since only White Noise appears to be emanating from the handful of tRump supporters and apologists in the BI community, is it reasonable to conclude even they have thrown in the towel? Michael Savage did.
okaydo
bearister said:

okaydo said:

bearister said:

okaydo said:

Well the truth is probably somewhere in the middle but tilting away from tRump's side. I think it overlooks the indisputable fact that tRump, his Crime Family, and some of his reality show caliber posse members truly are as incompetent as his most partisan critics believe.

Since only White Noise appears to be emanating from the handful of tRump supporters and apologists in the BI community, is it reasonable to conclude even they have thrown in the towel? Michael Savage did.

Yes, it's weird that there aren't any "It's like the flu"/"China did it"/"Liberal media are trying to tank Trump" people on this forum (or maybe there are. I haven't read the apolitical thread closely). But those people are all over the place on Twitter. My god, it's depressing.
B.A. Bearacus
dimitrig
okaydo said:

bearister said:

okaydo said:

bearister said:

okaydo said:

Yes, it's weird that there aren't any "It's like the flu"/"China did it"/"Liberal media are trying to tank Trump" people on this forum (or maybe there are. I haven't read the apolitical thread closely). But those people are all over the place on Twitter. My god, it's depressing.

First, this is a Cal board which means educated and left leaning in general.

Second, a lot of the people on social media are paid Russian trolls and bots.
dimitrig
B.A. Bearacus said:

I think Dubya was overmatched by 9/11, Katrina, and the 2008 financial crisis at least as badly. Trump's handling of Maria was also spectacularly bad but he will need a second term to catch Dubya. Let's deny him that opportunity.

okaydo
Ah, well!

bearister
dimitrig said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

I think Dubya was overmatched by 9/11, Katrina, and the 2008 financial crisis at least as badly. Trump's handling of Maria was also spectacularly bad but he will need a second term to catch Dubya. Let's deny him that opportunity.

..good point...but nobody as incompetent as tRump, the tRump kids, son in law, Stephen Miller, Pence and Hope Hicks pitching in to save America. They are literally the cast of a Fellini film.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.