Coronavirus vs Trump

231,574 Views | 2120 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by concordtom
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

I imagine that during a close door session with tRump that he is like this:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

The way the government's response to Coronavirus is going it's looking to me like Trump is toast in November, regardless of what happens on the Democrats' side.

If 100 million die Trump will claim he saved 200 million
sp4149
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

The way the government's response to Coronavirus is going it's looking to me like Trump is toast in November, regardless of what happens on the Democrats' side.
Especially in states like Florida or Arizona that have an older demography.
Maybe not, the next seven months could eliminate the older demography...
oski003
OaktownBear said:

oski003 said:

Both Kaiser Permanente and the Federally funded low income serving outpatient clinics that my wife works at have Coronavirus testing available.

Is my real life experience an anomaly?

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/alerts/p1/2019-novel-coronavirus-feb-2020
They've had the ability to test for awhile but the criteria that allows them to test has been extremely restrictive. We are only testing 1000 a day nationwide. Are you claiming that Kaiser or your wife's clinic are testing anyone that wants it as Trump said? At least until a couple of days ago they were only supposed to test those who had a known exposure. That was what health professionals have been complaining about.

"The novel coronavirus, which causes a disease known as COVID-19, is spreading from person to person in parts of the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention the potential public health threat posed by COVID-19 is very high. At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus as it is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States...."

"If you or a family member has traveled recently to an area of risk, or if you think you may have been exposed to the virus and have symptoms of respiratory illness, you should call the advice number on your Kaiser Permanente membership card for further instructions."

The above statements and my conversations with my wife lead me to believe that they would test anybody with a respiratory illness in a city that has had somebody infected with coronavirus.
dimitrig
oski003 said:

"The novel coronavirus, which causes a disease known as COVID-19, is spreading from person to person in parts of the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention the potential public health threat posed by COVID-19 is very high. At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus as it is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States...."

"If you or a family member has traveled recently to an area of risk, or if you think you may have been exposed to the virus and have symptoms of respiratory illness, you should call the advice number on your Kaiser Permanente membership card for further instructions."

The above statements and my conversations with my wife lead me to believe that they would test anybody with a respiratory illness in a city that has had somebody infected with coronavirus.

Yes, they can test you once you are symptomatic and have already infected everyone.
Unit2Sucks
B.A. Bearacus said:

All fake news. Golden One told us wide scale testing was already under way 2 weeks ago and last week Trump said anyone who wanted to get tested could.

Who are we to believe?
Cal88
sp4149 said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Especially in states like Florida or Arizona that have an older demography.
Maybe not, the next seven months could eliminate the older demography...
There is also the distinct possibility of the main frontrunners (Trump, Biden, Sanders) coming down with this,

Quick back of the envelope calculation: if you assume that 10% of the population is going to come down with covid19 by this Fall, and knowing the odds of people in their late 70s have around a 10% fatality rate, the odds of at least one of these three politicians not being alive by November is around 7%. It's probably more like 10%-15% because these guys are in close contact with far more people than the average septuagenarian. The odds of at least one of them being incapacitated by Fall could be around 1/3.

bearister
Well you know tRump won't die of it because he is the Antichrist.

Unit2Sucks
This shows a misunderstanding of how viruses spread exponentially. Right now this virus grows 10x every 16 days. At this precise moment, any one individual's risk is low, unless they've come in direct contact with someone currently infected. But it won't stay that way for long.

We don't know how many are currently effective, but we know it's at least 600. Let's say that's accurate (although it clearly is low). In 32 days, if we don't slow the spread, we will have 60,000 infected. In 48 days we will have 600,000 infected. It would probably start to level off in 80 days when 60 million Americans have been infected.

That is what will happen if we ignore this thing. Does 60 million infected with 1-2 million dead Americans sound serious to you? Because that seems like a big deal to me and the only way to prevent that from happening is to take actual steps to prevent it. Lying and tweeting and blaming Obama won't (negatively) impact the virus.

At what point do Fox News and Trump start to take this seriously? I sure hope it's before we are looking at a million dead Americans.

oski003 said:

OaktownBear said:

oski003 said:

Both Kaiser Permanente and the Federally funded low income serving outpatient clinics that my wife works at have Coronavirus testing available.

Is my real life experience an anomaly?

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/alerts/p1/2019-novel-coronavirus-feb-2020
They've had the ability to test for awhile but the criteria that allows them to test has been extremely restrictive. We are only testing 1000 a day nationwide. Are you claiming that Kaiser or your wife's clinic are testing anyone that wants it as Trump said? At least until a couple of days ago they were only supposed to test those who had a known exposure. That was what health professionals have been complaining about.

okaydo

okaydo
GBear4Life
Trump's attempts to minimize the impact and danger of Corona is both stupid and predictable. But if he was sounding alarm bells his adversaries would rip him for being alarmist. Yawn.
dimitrig
GBear4Life said:

Trump's attempts to minimize the impact and danger of Corona is both stupid and predictable. But if he was sounding alarm bells his adversaries would rip him for being alarmist. Yawn.

That is what happens when your reputation is of being an untrustworthy liar concerned mostly about yourself.

Does he convene a panel of public policy, health care, and pharmaceutical professionals and researchers? No. He asks the seven largest banks to convene. It is clear where his priorities lie.
GBear4Life
dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

That is what happens when your reputation is of being an untrustworthy liar concerned mostly about yourself.

*** are you talking about? It's what happens when public commentary is overrun by partisan hacks. Obama faced the same garbage, and so will every president going forward
dimitrig
GBear4Life said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

*** are you talking about? It's what happens when public commentary is overrun by partisan hacks. Obama faced the same garbage, and so will every president going forward

Trump reaps what he sows. If no one gives him the benefit of a doubt there is no reason to wonder why!
GBear4Life
dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

Trump reaps what he sows. If no one gives him the benefit of a doubt there is no reason to wonder why!

Again, you're not listening. His statements on Corona are worthy of criticism -- in fact scorn. It's not about benefit of the doubt -- the point was it doesn't matter what he says, or how ANY president deals with controversial issues and emergencies. They will get blasted -- if they have good reasons to blast them, it's by accident.
B.A. Bearacus

Dr. Daniele Macchini - Chirurgo Generale

3/ I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

6/ I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

7/ The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

9/ Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is"temporarily" put in crisis,

11/ Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

13/ Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

14/ The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask "what can I do for you now?"

16/ There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols.

17/ Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

18/ We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy."

20/ I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?
dimitrig
GBear4Life said:

Again, you're not listening. His statements on Corona are worthy of criticism -- in fact scorn. It's not about benefit of the doubt -- the point was it doesn't matter what he says, or how ANY president deals with controversial issues and emergencies. They will get blasted -- if they have good reasons to blast them, it's by accident.

I completely disagree. Trump is not being blasted just because "he is the President." He is being blasted because his response sucks.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

I completely disagree. Trump is not being blasted just because "he is the President." He is being blasted because his response sucks.

And when there were virus scares under Obama, he was mostly blasted for stupid reasons.
Yogi010
blungld said:

The democrat is like the mother who does what is best for the kid and never gets credit, and the GOP is like the free spending take you to Disneyland dad who left mom years ago and only swoops in for the birthday and good times avoiding all the sacrifice and work.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The Democrat is like Michael Corleone. The Republican is like Fredo Corleone.

Still both criminals.
okaydo
One of the things that has struck me about the Trump era is how people who, when I was younger, seemed to be rational human beings are really into Trump.

So earlier this year, there was this story about Dr. Drew potentially running against Adam Schiff because, he alleges, Schiff has spent so much time on impeachment that it's hurt the part of L.A. he represents.

This morning, I'm going through my Twitter, and there's a tweet Kirk Herbstreit liked of Dr. Drew blaming the media for coronavirus panic, which is a Trump talking point.

It's so odd. But maybe not surprising. Dr. Drew fits into the demo of Trump fans.

bearister
The dominoes are aligned for a severe coronavirus-induced recession - Axios

https://www.axios.com/the-next-dominoes-in-the-coronavirus-economy-b73d198b-6177-4d8b-bac8-d6ecb168e2c9.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top
dimitrig

It is possible to think that the media's sensationalized treatment of coronavirus is indeed not helpful and yet not support Trump in any way.

I mean, the local grocery stores are all out of toilet paper. Why?! Hand sanitizer I understand, but toilet paper?! That is the product of the media's apocalyptic journalism.

okaydo
dimitrig said:

It is possible to think that the media's sensationalized treatment of coronavirus is indeed not helpful and yet not support Trump in any way.

I mean, the local grocery stores are all out of toilet paper. Why?! Hand sanitizer I understand, but toilet paper?! That is the product of the media's apocalyptic journalism.

Stewart Mandel (https://twitter.com/slmandel) has been battling the "it's like the flu and blame the media" crowd all morning.

The thing it's easy to rail against the media. Too easy. But the media fills a void. And who left that void? Well, somebody who tweeted yesterday about Obama/Biden being the most corrupt administration in history.

Strong, decisive leadership can go a long way. But without it, there's a void.

Heck, I haven't heard of people clamoring for masks since this tweet six days ago.

okaydo

bearister
The lemmings are going to follow their cult leader over the cliff:

Trump Says Campaign Rallies Will Go On Despite Coronavirus

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-08/trump-says-campaign-rallies-will-go-on-despite-coronavirus
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-08/trump-says-campaign-rallies-will-go-on-despite-coronavirus

prospeCt
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/mar/10/democratic-primaries-live-news-biden-sanders-michigan-2020-winners#img-1

B.A. Bearacus
Attempt made to help Fox viewers take adequate precautions for themselves and not exacerbate the problem for others by being diicks.

B.A. Bearacus

bearister
prospeCt said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/mar/10/democratic-primaries-live-news-biden-sanders-michigan-2020-winners#img-1

I'll raise you a Keith Don't Go:

* Rolling Stone thought this was the best album of 1975
B.A. Bearacus
Unit2Sucks
Remember when Trump convinced the deplorables he was super rich and wasn't going to use the white house to help his businesses?

He wants to use stimulus to help out the hotel industry (and, oddly, oil and gas). He's shown zero concern about limiting the spread of CV but has been laser-focused on things that just happen to impact his personal balance sheet. Weird right?
B.A. Bearacus
Editor-in-chief of radically scientific magazine Science...

okaydo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.